E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > The Showroom

The Showroom
This is the place to show off your BMW to other members of the community. Post pictures and videos of your car and the modifications you have done to it. If you need a picture of something on a coupe, sedan, convertible or touring you will probably find it here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-17-2012, 04:12 AM   #1
DanielJames

My Ride: Estoril 320d Sport
The Diary of a 2003 ZHP 320d

Apologies for the UK speak, if theres anything that doesn't make sense just ask, I wont be offended.

This is an accumulation of various forum threads, and pictures for the past 9 months of my cars life. This is a much slimmed down version of what I could post, tried to keep it pretty short for the sake of bandwidth!

Here we go!

Hi all, I've put this together from a couple of forums to share my 320d with you all.

I bought it with 113000 miles on the clock on the 30th July 2011. I had just turned 19, and have been saving for a few years to buy a decent car. The purchase price was just shy of 5k. I skinted myself buying it but do not regret it one bit.

The car is now on 125700 miles and I have spent around 1000 on it so far, not a massive spend but it does seem to constantly want my money. I have a varied history with cars, starting with a Corsa 1.2 like most I became a bit fascinated by speed. From 17-18 I had 7 cars. 2 Saxo VTS', 2 Corsa SRi's, a Nissan Primera GT 2.0 LE, a Renault Sport Clio 172 and a Astra 1.8 SXi. It was time for a mans car I thought.

I began searching for a new car in June 2011, I orignally wanted an MG ZT CDTi, or a Volkswagen Bora. I didn't initially think I could afford a BMW, but I managed to lend some money from a relative and decided to just get the best 320d Sport I could find.

So on the 30th July 2011 I travelled down to London on the train, and drove back in a 2003 Estoril Blue 320d.

Initial pictures:

I knew the car needed 2 new tyres when I bought it, so the first purchase was 2 Vredestein 255/35/18s. 240 :| Managed to get them fitted free by a friend though

Took a trip to Silverstone in September, posed for a picture outside:

Car performed excellently, even saw over 60mpg on the way home through a 50mph zone.

Decided it would be good to give the EGR a clean one weekend, was surprised at how dirty it was.

before:

after:

then I disabled it for a bit, but due to this coming on I decided to fit it again.

Would be interested to know if anyone has disabled the EGR without getting this light on an EuroIV engine.

I also sprayed the kidney grilles matte black

And got silvervisions all round

before:

after:

-----------------------

Toyed with the idea of having yellow fogs/all red rears for a while. A moment of madness, but this is my blog so I need to share!

I used FlyEyeKit and to be honest its terrible stuff. Lamin-X all the way if you're thinking of doing it.

-----------------------

I had another dilemma around October time. The front brakes needed replacing, and I considered a brake upgrade. I ended up finding a set of calipers, carriers, discs and nearly new pads for 100 at a breakers. Unfortunately the discs were beyond repair.

These were the discs I got:

The calipers could have done with a refurb before I put them on, but money was a bit tight so I just hammerited them silver for now.

Since the discs were bollacksd I got some new ones from M-Tec, 90 - bit of a bargain?!

320d vs 330d

Then I went to a Pistonheads meet and took some pics on the way home in the designer outlet York.

BMW Estoril Blue Sport Saloon by DanielJames., on Flickr

BMW Estoril Blue Sport Saloon by DanielJames., on Flickr

Yorkshire Big Breakfast 586 by DanielJames., on Flickr

The fog tints were removed when I got home.

---------------------------------

Since I bought the car it was making a funny noise when coming off boost, kind of like a turkey blow off valve. I wasn't sure what was the issue so did a bit of reading, when I could get under the car I noticed the exhaust had split just after the first cat.

I couldn't decide whether to get a replacement cat, a front decat, or a full system. In the times of my "umming and arring" the exhaust got worse, much worse. I could now smell fumes while being stuck in traffic. Action needed to be taken, so I ordered a front decat from EcoTune.

Delivery took, ages. I think I was waiting for around a month for the parcel due to the company having a few problems with the courier. It finally arrived some time in November and it was definitly the biggest DIY I've ever done. I bought a new Jack from costco, some new axle stands etc all ready for the job.

I also ordered an EGR thermostat since my car was taking a long time (40 minutes sometimes) to warm up. This was a really easy DIY to do.

New part from Cotswold BMW:

After that it was time to crack on with the exhaust replacement.

Up high on the Costco Jack:

Cleaned it up afterwards

Time for a good clean.

330d brakes by DanielJames., on Flickr

E46 Estoril Blue Sport by DanielJames., on Flickr

E46 3 series Alcatara Sport Seats by DanielJames., on Flickr

E46 dashboard by DanielJames., on Flickr

Last edited by DanielJames; 05-17-2012 at 04:16 AM.
DanielJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:12 AM   #2
DanielJames

So yeah, the ****ty garage that put a Full run tyre on the car, and resprayed the wheels while they were still fitted putting overspray all over the shocker etc. They didn't even remove the old paint! Anyway, idiots, I'm not sponsoring them.

They stuck it on well but I was victorious

Avoid that garage.

-------------------

December 2011 - 119000miles

I decided to treat the car to an oil service, and fitted some Eibach Sportlines I got off eBay for a bargain price.

I went for this oil, partly due to reviews, but mainly that it was cheap from costco lol

Eibach Sportlines are on

before:

after:
[IMG]http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc320/D_SILVESTA/3e8f4901.jpg[/IMG

Not the best pics so I will go out and get some better ones.

---------------------

22nd December 2011

Rear pads fitted today

Rover 75 pads???? lol

Started cleaning up the inner whee arch but going to get some proper stuff bought and do it properly. Any recommendations?

I went from

to

As you can see I painted the caliper too to match the front.

Also got a bit of paint on the exhaust to freshen that up a bit, even autosol couldn't restore it's shine!

Gave it a good clean after too for xmas.

So where is good to get some cleaning stuff? I want some wheel cleaner, tar remover etc

I've currently got AG Wheel Cleaner and "wonder wheels" and they do the job but I couldn't get the bloody wheels any cleaner than this.

That said they do need a refurb anyway, since the garage that refurbed them for Dave didn't even remove the wheels so the insides were never done.

Shopping list so far:
Iron X
Bilberry Wheel cleaner
Collinite 476 Wax
A couple of plastic squirty bottles

Also looking at getting a rotary polisher in the new year to tackle some swirls. What would you use to get rid of the grime in the wheel arch? Nail brush?? or is that a bad idea?

(edit 30/04/2012 - I never did end up buying any of that stuff lol^^^)

---------------------

January 21st 2011

I'm now 6 months/8.5k into ownership of my 320d, it's been high and low, and I came very close to selling it and advertised it a few weeks ago... but it's staying put now!

Over the time I've had it, It's always kept clean and mechanically sound. I've had to replace a few parts, and have done every job myself (bar fitting the tyres)

Every weekend I'm either fixing, cleaning, or upgrading it in some way. So far I've fitted Eibach Sportlines, calipers and carriers from a 330d with drilled/grooved discs. Ecotune front Decat as the original was blowing badly when I bought it..

Unfortunately the wheels are due a refurb, due to a bodge refurb they had last year. It's also MOT time this weekend (my first MOT ever!) which I'm kinda looking forward to in a weird, [-]petrol[/-]dieselhead kind of way.

This car is pretty special, I would probably keep it forever if it wasn't powered by a common rail diesel engine. I probably spend a bit too much time reading misleading info on forums but I'm scared ****less of common rail diesel injector failings etc! I've already had to clean the EGR valve out, I do sometimes wish I'd have gotten a 330i but the added running costs would total a 1000 a year, which is a lot of money for an apprentice!

BMW E46 Sport Saloon by DanielJames., on Flickr

(spot the smiley )

To summarise, it's standard Individual Sport spec, bar:
* Swirl Flaps blanked
* Ecotune front section (decat)
* 330d front brakes
* Black Kidney grilles
* Eibach Sport line springs

Repairs wise, I've had to replace a thermostat and the exhaust, so not too bad.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:13 AM   #3
DanielJames

19-03-2012

Did a bit of rust prevention on the rear arches yesterday, hopefully will get the fronts done next weekend.

Car up, on stands. Love the Costco Jack, uber bargain @70

The crud from just one side

Small spot treated from inside and in

Theres a bit of bubbling on the offside arch, which I did my best to clean up and treat. Hopes it doesnt get worse.

All cleaned up

Car is now on 123700 miles. Consumption is back up to around 50mpg. Just starting to collect items for an Inspection 1 service in around May time.

------------------------

29/03/2012

Its been a rough couple of days.

Firstly had a puncture on the front, after driving a bit enthusiastically trying to kill the Fullrun tyre on the front, ended up killing the Kuhmo! F*ck you fullrun, your days are numbered.

Then I open my boot to find this:

Righttttttttt. Thanks BMW. Anyway that POS wouldn't go over my front brakes, so I had to put the rear on the front (which is wider than a front as they are staggered) and put the space saver on the rear.

stance!!! :dead:

I must say though, on the other hand, this has made exiting junctions when turning left MUCH FUN. I feel like I'm in an M3 sometimes!

heheh

Yesterday I ordered 2 Vredesteins to match the rear. 210 I didn't want to spend but oh well. At least I'll finally get the full run off!

Then the next day I got home, looked back at my car and saw this:

Bloody numberplate has fell off!!! Dave, this is your fault :o

Went to Halfords for a plate (25 for a plain one?! - I took my chances and luckily the plate was at work this morning

------------------------

03/04/2012

Well, the tyres have transformed the handling of the car! I'm really happy with how well it handles now!

Did another job today, CDV say bye bye!

Boom!!! Feels more like a clutch now!

If you're thinking of doing it I would say do it! It's very easy to remove, and makes shifting gears/double clutching etc feel much smoother.

Unfortunately it's still nothing like you'd get on a cable throttle clutch, but it is much better for an enthusiast

----------------------

Present day - 30/04/2012

Quick Pic by DanielJames., on Flickr

Just a quick pic for now, DIY'ing a rear wheel bearing this weekend so there will be some pics to come from that
Old 05-17-2012, 04:13 AM   #4
DanielJames

Well I spent around 20-25 hours working on the car this weekend, every day I was laid out in the cold.

The rear wheel bearing is the most awkard DIY I've ever done. THat said I reckon I could do it again in 3 hours, a mixture of not having the right tools/experience made the task very time consuming.

I didn't take as many pics as I hoped as I was pretty vexxed all day but here are a few

Went out for my first trip to my grandparents (3 miles)

Wasn't taking any chances

Got there and had a bit of a rumble on what I thought wasthe bearing I needed to be in York last night however which is around 40 miles away. I began to drive towards York, but the rumble just got worse and worse. I pulled in at a mates house and found, to my delight, I had just forgot to tighten the wheel bolts! Phew. Close call. Got them tightened up and the car is now purrrrrrrrrrrrrrfect

Didn't do bad on the MPG going up there either (Sticking at 60mph due to being a bit scared my wheel would fall off!)

Then this weekend I've just ordered a genuine oil and air filter for a service next weekend. Also cleaned the **** out of the car

Tried the meguires tyre gel on my trims and well, it works!!

and tonight I've done a bit of a dirty trick

Having previously had problems with my number plate falling off, and noticing that it was about to do the same I knew I either had to:

a) screw it in (which I think looks ugly)
or
b) get some number plate holders

It took me a while to find these plate holders, especially at a good price. I was tempted by the awesomegti ones but was put off by the "tacky" white border and smaller writing.

I got these for 11.99 delivered from creation motorsport

Damn the car looks sexy without a front plate!!

fitted
Old 05-17-2012, 04:14 AM   #5
DanielJames

so we're up to date now, and this is from tonight

So I serviced the car last night, had a few dramas along the way so it took way longer than it should've!

Jobs done:
(*)Oil and Filter Change
(*)Air filter changed
(*)EGR Cleaned

Decided to take some pics along the way with my camera, instead of my iphone, since it doesn't get the use it should!

First off, the invetory of parts, and tools

320d Service Supplies by DanielJames., on Flickr

I got genuine filters from eBay, 12 for the Oil Filter and 15 for the air filter, delivered! The oil was from Costco, 30 for 5L :thumbsup

Tools by DanielJames., on Flickr

My Jack is also from costco, circa 75 at the moment. Very good jack for the money. The axle stands are from Amazon (16 for 2 - great price) and I also have my halfords socket set.

more tools needed by DanielJames., on Flickr

Bought this T bar hex and star set last year, and it comes very handy for getting the engine cover bolts off, and the EGR valve.

Okay, so onto the service.

Bonnet popped:

Bonnet Popped by DanielJames., on Flickr

Now even though my car isn't exactly low on the eibach springs, I still have to use a jack to get my jack under my car to jack while I jack /xzibit.

Going in by DanielJames., on Flickr

This is the front jacking point if anyones interested, note the axle stand location, I thought the drain plug was facing the nearside so wanted the car to tilt to that side, as last time I did the oil I dont think I got every last drop out due to jacking it the wrong way. I did infact do it wrong again this time, but I altered it before I drained the oil :thumbsup

E46 front jacking point by DanielJames., on Flickr

This is infact the lean I was after, my cars got swagger

Slide to the left, by DanielJames., on Flickr

Time to get some engine covers off. The engine looks, odd, without its covers.

Under the 320d Engine Cover by DanielJames., on Flickr

I did this as I wasn't sure whether I could get the oil filter housing off, so wanted to check that first. Luckily with the help of my dad I could slacken it off with a set of pipe grips, but next time I will definitly invest in a 6 point 36mm socket.

Time to get the old oil out!

Dirty Oil draining by DanielJames., on Flickr

The oil pan I got from machine mart was great, it was circa 10 and I wouldn't want to drain any oil again without one.

While the oil was draining, I decided to do the air filter. My god what a horrible system in place BMW have. I remember on other cars lifting two metal clips and the airbox would pop off, not BMW! You have to remove:
  • The Engine cover (5 5mm hex/allen bolts)
  • The air intake/duct
  • Pollen filter/pollen filter housing (4 torx bolts @ T30 IIRC)
  • 5 hex/all bolts holding the air filter housing, one of which is an utter c*nt to get to

So a job which takes literally 30 seconds on some cars, ends up taking 10-15 minutes, depending on whether you can get good access to the bolts holding the filter housing on. (which you cant)

Once it's off, getting the bugger back on is a whole different story. I spent around 20 minutes trying to align the plastic cover around the air filter, nightmare!

I tried to photograph the nightmare bolt but couldn't quite get it, its this one right at the back though..

Removing 320d Airbox by DanielJames., on Flickr

The nasty screw by DanielJames., on Flickr

The parts you need to remove to get to the air filter, is quite excessive..

Parts removed by DanielJames., on Flickr

Old filter in situ

Dirty filter in situ by DanielJames., on Flickr

New vs old

Dirty vs Old Air Filter by DanielJames., on Flickr

That air filter has been in since 103k, its now on 126k so that's 23k. BMW say it only needs changing every Inspection 2, which could be as long as 80k! No thanks, I know BMW know best etc but for peace of mind, I'd rather not wait that long.

While the filter was out I decided to hoover all the dust and leaves out of the airbox

Time to clean by DanielJames., on Flickr

g'warrn dyson

new filter going in

New Air Filter in situ by DanielJames., on Flickr

I didnt get any pics of me pissing about putting the airbox back on but it was a bloody kuffuffle.

The old oil and filters:

Dirty oil and filters by DanielJames., on Flickr

Looking pretty minging

Time for new oil!

New Oil ready to go in by DanielJames., on Flickr

New oil by DanielJames., on Flickr

Well balanced by DanielJames., on Flickr

The container perfectly balanced for a nice steady flow, for the first time in my life I didn't spill any oil! :eek

After I topped it up with oil (5.5L in the 320d) I decided to whip the EGR off and give it a quick clean, and then disable it. Unfortunately I dropped one of the EGR bolts through the engine bay :mad so instead of disabling the EGR I had to get underneath and take all the under trays off to retreive it. Once I got on with that I kinda forgot to take pics, but this was the EGR before:

Dirty EGR valve by DanielJames., on Flickr

compared to how it looked 6 months ago I was pretty annoyed at how dirty it was, lucky it was easy enough to clean with this stuff:

Decent stuff for cleaning EGR valve by DanielJames., on Flickr

engine going back together

Rebuilding the covers by DanielJames., on Flickr

and one final pic from it finished sitting on the neighbours drive while I shuffle the cars around

Finished, sitting pretty by DanielJames., on Flickr

Happy I got it done, but a bit annoyed at how hard I made it for myself. The joys if DIY'ing.....
Old 05-17-2012, 07:16 AM   #6
PH03NIX46

My Ride: '03 M3
I lol'd SO hard at this pic:

That said, you have a fantastic looking car!
PH03NIX46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:26 AM   #7
ck_E46

My Ride: E46 318I
Nice Estoril Blue you got there...
Old 05-17-2012, 08:34 AM   #8
DanielJames

Thanks, yeah that is a funny photo, the car was quite fun to drive with that wheel on..
Old 05-17-2012, 09:19 AM   #9
B o g u s

My Ride: 2000 328i
great looking car man! id love to have a diesel here in the states.
B o g u s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:03 AM   #10
Elvin123

My Ride: 328i
Dat color , i have no idea what is going on in that engine bay lol
Old 05-17-2012, 01:16 PM   #11
LeontiyZHP

My Ride: '04 330Ci ZHP
Very nice car! Those MPG #'s! Too bad we don't have that kind of diesels out here.

2004 330Ci ZHP
Pioneer Avic D3, Xplod Amp w/ 10' Sub |
CCFL Angel Eyes, LED interior/license plate/CREE reverse lights
Car For Sale

DIY Facelift Angel Eyes | AVIC-D3 Install | flickr
LeontiyZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:57 PM   #12
Studdly_Studright

My Ride: 135i
best sedan color..more pics
Old 05-17-2012, 02:40 PM   #13
DanielJames

Quote:
Originally Posted by B o g u s View Post
great looking car man! id love to have a diesel here in the states.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvin123 View Post
Dat color , i have no idea what is going on in that engine bay lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeontiyZHP View Post
Very nice car! Those MPG #'s! Too bad we don't have that kind of diesels out here.
Don't you guys get any diesels?! The diesels are very popular in the UK, I think they outsell the petrol models by far!

I think the MPG would be less in the states, imperial/metric etc!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studdly_Studright View Post
best sedan color..more pics
Haha, I'll get some more next time I clean it up
Old 05-17-2012, 02:47 PM   #14
old grey steve

My Ride: BMW 330D Sport Auto
Great little write up Daniel. EcoTune DE-Cat's a great move I've had mine along with a full CAT Back stainless system for around a year and a bit now made a hell of a difference to my 330d.

Your EGR Valve looked like mine and I found it was well worth a clean. I guess on the performance stakes your standard?
Old 05-17-2012, 02:55 PM   #15
DanielJames

Quote:
Originally Posted by old grey steve View Post
Great little write up Daniel. EcoTune DE-Cat's a great move I've had mine along with a full CAT Back stainless system for around a year and a bit now made a hell of a difference to my 330d.

Your EGR Valve looked like mine and I found it was well worth a clean. I guess on the performance stakes your standard?
Yeah pal mines standard, never wanted to tune it to be honest. I only got the ecotune because I didnt want the standard to break again!

I've always had the mindset that if I wanted to remap it, I should sell it and buy a 330d

I've always been a little dubious to tuning a common rail diesel, so many things that can go wrong, and expensively, so I'd rather leave it to BMW to do the maths!
Old 03-21-2013, 03:58 AM   #16
DanielJames

So I sold this in May last year and bought a Integra Type R (a car I'd always wanted)

but I always think about the ZHP
Old 03-21-2013, 02:19 PM   #17
RuS1k

My Ride: E46 320Ci
Looks great!
keep it up!
RuS1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:25 PM   #18
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Gorgeous car. I'd love to have an Estoril E46.
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:48 PM   #19
choegatz

My Ride: 2002 325xi
great thread, beautiful color

Lovely car.
choegatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:46 AM   #20
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
you sold it for an integra?
it was a BEAUTIFUL car. really. nice job on it.