E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-17-2012, 10:03 PM   #21
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiNk504 View Post
yep wind comes out of the vents no matter what. I keep thinking that there is more air but i cant seem to get it out if there is. I think ill order a new tstat and a new fan and see if that fixes the overheating problem.
Just order a new t-stat and expansion tank cap. Hold off on the fan for now. How long did you bleed? (how long did you observe bubble-free water emerge from the bleed screw?)

(if the car cools as speed increase OR if the fan is not running while car is idling and hot, then its the fan)

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:10 PM   #22
BeMyWhip

My Ride: 01 BMW 330ci
may not even be the fan, it may be the fan switch in the lower radiator hose.
try that first. Good to have a new one anyway $26 from BMAutoparts.com for BMW brand
Old 05-17-2012, 10:14 PM   #23
My325XI

My Ride: 03 325XI Sprt Prem
If your fan is working, sounds like a thermostat issue. Rebleed after that to see if the heat comes back. Check this DIY
http://www.bmw330ci.net/maintenance/completecoolant.php

2003 325XI 5-speed ZSP ZPP
My325XI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:47 PM   #24
LiNk504

My Ride: 2000 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
Just order a new t-stat and expansion tank cap. Hold off on the fan for now. How long did you bleed? (how long did you observe bubble-free water emerge from the bleed screw?)

(if the car cools as speed increase OR if the fan is not running while car is idling and hot, then its the fan)
I already got the new cap on there, and i saw bubble free water come out for about twenty minutes the last time i bled. Ill hold of on the fan and try the t-stat, its time for a new one anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeMyWhip View Post
may not even be the fan, it may be the fan switch in the lower radiator hose.
try that first. Good to have a new one anyway $26 from BMAutoparts.com for BMW brand
ill try that first, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by My325XI View Post
If your fan is working, sounds like a thermostat issue. Rebleed after that to see if the heat comes back. Check this DIY
http://www.bmw330ci.net/maintenance/completecoolant.php
thanks for that link, that should help too
Old 12-08-2012, 04:05 PM   #25
Garrow23

My Ride: 2000 323i
Same prob

Did the t-stat fix the problem? Did you have to replace the fan? I have an automatic and I can get the fan to come on for the AC, but not when the coolant gets over 115 degrees C.
Garrow23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 01:07 PM   #26
jwarner_75

My Ride: 330Ci
Garrow23 and others,
Guys In have having an issue where my car (330i automatic trans) overheats after about 30 minutes of driving but only when the car is stationary. The temperature begins to increase, and then decreases once I start driving. I have replaced everything in the system: clutch fan, expansion tank, thermostat, water pump, coolant temperature sensor, radiator hoses, reverse flushed radiator. When I am stationary, if it starts to overheat, I can get it to cool back down by putting it in neutral and holding the car at 3,000 rpm. I am wondering if it is the puller fan on the front of the radiator that could cause this issue. If I turn on the AC, the fan comes on. If I unplug the coolant temperature sensor located in the lower radiator house, the fan comes on.
Is this fan supposed to come on when Im stationary if the engine starts to heat up? If so, are there different output stages of the fan where it could work when the AC is on but not coming on when the temperature increases when the car is stationary? Could it be a bad fan control relay? Could it be the ECU?

I just find it suspicious that I can get the temperature to decrease by increasing the engines RPM. This indicates to me that it might be that auxiliary fan. I replace the clutch fan because I thought it was the issue but it was not. Any thought would be greatly appreciated. I took it to the dealer, and they told me anitfreeze leaked up the wires connected to the thermostat into the computer and destroyed the computer. They want $3400 to fix it. I can honestly say, that I did see coolant on the connector to the water pump when I replaced it. I didnt think anything of it. They diagnosed it after all the parts had been replaced. No engine light or error codes were thrown. So how is it the computer? If there are different stages of the puller fan, and one stage is not working when it is supposed to, then I could replace the fan. But it does work when I turn on the AC.
jwarner_75 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coolant, head gasket, over heat, overheating