E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-19-2012, 04:49 PM   #1
05aazhp

My Ride: 05 330i ZHP
Low rpm part throttle rasp....need ideas

Hello,

Set up - 05 zhp 6 speed aa supercharged, schrick cams, aa headers, aa dp exhaust.

I was looking to increase how loud my car was at idle, while cruising and at WOT. Even with the headers and no cats, the car was very quiet for my taste. I had the first and second resonators removed this past week. The overall sound is fantastic. Nice rumble at idle, nice sound while cruising (minor drone but I enjoy it) and it just screams at WOT. The only thing that I do not like is I get a low rpm (2.5k), part throttle (25%) rasp type sound. It almost sounds like a heat shield is rattling but it is in fact the exhaust. It is very annoying and sounds terrible. I find myself shifting under 2k around town just to avoid this sound.

I am looking to keep the same overall volume of sound that I have now, but without this part throttle noise. If anybody has any ideas I would like to hear them.
05aazhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:00 PM   #2
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
I think the rasp is from the combo of headers and no front resonator. I got it my AA headers and magnaflow cat back and the with the same headers, oem pipes with cats in place of the front resonators.

Ive gotten used to it.
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:19 PM   #3
05aazhp

For me, it is too annoying to get used too. Im thinking of just remocing the AA muffler and replacing it with a different one.....maybe a magnaflow or one with just a bit more sound dampening power. Any suggestions? I dont want to keep buying mufflers until I find one that works. I have not been able to find any videos of my same exhaust set up either....
Old 05-23-2012, 11:06 AM   #4
05aazhp

Anybody have any more input?
Old 05-25-2012, 09:13 AM   #5
jared_wiesner

My Ride: 1999 328i (M54b30)
Take a microphone and place it where the rasp is most prominent. Isolate the rasp using some filters. Playback the isolated rasp sound through your car's stereo but phase invert it. The rasp will null and you will be left with nice exhaust tone... Then you just gate the mic to only pass the sound through when it gets loud enough.

Or you could just try changing up the muffler/living with it.

Last edited by jared_wiesner; 05-25-2012 at 09:21 AM.
jared_wiesner is offline   Reply With Quote