E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-21-2012, 05:25 PM   #1
bmw_328ci_e46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: edmonton
Posts: 67
My Ride: 328 ci
anyone tried these control arms?

has anyone tried these? i need new control arms and these seem pretty good price and since im still a student im trying to keep the prices as low as possible. thanks!

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-328...rms/ES2187555/

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-328...rms/ES2187554/
bmw_328ci_e46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:29 PM   #2
Mango
A full five stars, son
 
Mango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 23,226
My Ride: M54B30
I'd stick with OE, OEM, ///M, or Meyle HD. Not so sure about critical URO parts. It's all in the balljoints.
__________________
A lifetime free of problems if you follow my guides
Cooling | Maintenance | Suspension | Vacuum | Supreme Reliability | Details

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:40 PM   #3
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.
 
Solidjake's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 23,044
My Ride: 2002 330i
Uro is garbage, stay away.
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:28 PM   #4
Blocked Out
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 5,490
My Ride: Imola 330i M-Sport
Control arms need to be made by Lemforder . Lemforder makes original control arms and thats what you need to buy
__________________
Original BMW Teile ///



====>>> E46 Coupe Airbags
IMG_1725
Blocked Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:32 PM   #5
SeanC
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: TX
Posts: 4,053
My Ride: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blocked Out View Post
Control arms need to be made by Lemforder . Lemforder makes original control arms and thats what you need to buy
+1, ZHP arms are even better (also Lem), but don't settle anything less than OE/M.
__________________

Black Sapphire MetallicNatural BrownSilver Cube e46 330i ZHP/6MT - Sold
HellrotDove Grey e36 ///M3 - RIP
Alpine WhiteTanSand High Gloss e46 330i SlickTop/5MT
Black Sapphire MetallicNevada BrownDark Bamboo e70 X5 xDrive4.8
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:34 PM   #6
Trashcan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 668
My Ride: 2002 330ci
I'm going to try these http://www.bmaparts.com/ShopByVehicl...0Joint&mode=PA paired with powerflex bushings. Ocap makes OEM parts for Lamborghini and Maserati so it sounds like a reputable company

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Bimmer App
Trashcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:38 PM   #7
EDawg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: CA
Posts: 4,773
My Ride: :/
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanC View Post
+1, ZHP arms are even better (also Lem), but don't settle anything less than OE/M.
so how do ZHP arms differ from regular E46 ones?
EDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:40 PM   #8
JohnIBarr01
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Knoxville, TN; Apex, NC
Posts: 582
My Ride: ZHP 6MT, Mk.6, Jeep
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDawg View Post
so how do ZHP arms differ from regular E46 ones?
ZHP ftw.

Different design better for performance driving.
__________________
Pat Summitt Foundation | VWvortex | V2Lab | Twitter | Facebook
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreenspanator
Let me guess: This doesn't happen in Germany
JohnIBarr01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:43 PM   #9
Mango
A full five stars, son
 
Mango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 23,226
My Ride: M54B30
///M, Meyle HD, and ///M ZHP arms have all metal balljoint construction. That's it. There's no magic. They last longer.
__________________
A lifetime free of problems if you follow my guides
Cooling | Maintenance | Suspension | Vacuum | Supreme Reliability | Details

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:46 PM   #10
Mango
A full five stars, son
 
Mango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 23,226
My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanC View Post
+1, ZHP arms are even better (also Lem), but don't settle anything less than OE/M.
I'm an OE/OEM freak, but I went with Meyle HD control arms. So far so good. There's no secret to control arms. They're just a fixed metal arm with two balljoints on it. The magic/durability happens in the balljoints and rubber boot that holds the grease. As long as these parts remain solid and are able to pivot, there's no difference from OE. There's another member on here with over 80k on his Meyle HDs without any problems. If you do have problems, the balljoints are replaceable, unlike OE.
__________________
A lifetime free of problems if you follow my guides
Cooling | Maintenance | Suspension | Vacuum | Supreme Reliability | Details

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:47 PM   #11
SeanC
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: TX
Posts: 4,053
My Ride: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDawg View Post
so how do ZHP arms differ from regular E46 ones?
They make your car feel like it just got a whole new shorter steering rack.
__________________

Black Sapphire MetallicNatural BrownSilver Cube e46 330i ZHP/6MT - Sold
HellrotDove Grey e36 ///M3 - RIP
Alpine WhiteTanSand High Gloss e46 330i SlickTop/5MT
Black Sapphire MetallicNevada BrownDark Bamboo e70 X5 xDrive4.8
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:51 PM   #12
SeanC
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: TX
Posts: 4,053
My Ride: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
I'm an OE/OEM freak, but I went with Meyle HD control arms. So far so good. There's no secret to control arms. They're just a fixed metal arm with two balljoints on it. The magic/durability happens in the balljoints and rubber boot that holds the grease. As long as these parts remain solid and are able to pivot, there's no difference from OE. There's another member on here with over 80k on his Meyle HDs without any problems. If you do have problems, the balljoints are replaceable, unlike OE.
I'm glad that you're happy with the Meyle HDs, but I would love to hear a comparison of the steering response with those w.r.t. the ZHP's.

And it's just not the ball joints that matters in control arms. The geometry of the control arms is the key. It's true that metal balls joints last longer, but for performance issues, like steering, the geometry of the control arm determines how much stress is transferred onto the chassis, resulting in a very different driving feel.
__________________

Black Sapphire MetallicNatural BrownSilver Cube e46 330i ZHP/6MT - Sold
HellrotDove Grey e36 ///M3 - RIP
Alpine WhiteTanSand High Gloss e46 330i SlickTop/5MT
Black Sapphire MetallicNevada BrownDark Bamboo e70 X5 xDrive4.8
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:51 PM   #13
Mango
A full five stars, son
 
Mango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 23,226
My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanC View Post
They make your car feel like it just got a whole new shorter steering rack.
I'm not sure how you could make that claim unless you're just being sarcastic.
__________________
A lifetime free of problems if you follow my guides
Cooling | Maintenance | Suspension | Vacuum | Supreme Reliability | Details

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:53 PM   #14
SeanC
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: TX
Posts: 4,053
My Ride: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
I'm not sure how you could make that claim unless you're just being sarcastic.
Not being sarcastic. It's well known now that all 02+ cars have the same rack, yet ZHP feels like it's much shorter.
__________________

Black Sapphire MetallicNatural BrownSilver Cube e46 330i ZHP/6MT - Sold
HellrotDove Grey e36 ///M3 - RIP
Alpine WhiteTanSand High Gloss e46 330i SlickTop/5MT
Black Sapphire MetallicNevada BrownDark Bamboo e70 X5 xDrive4.8
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:55 PM   #15
Mango
A full five stars, son
 
Mango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 23,226
My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanC View Post
I'm glad that you're happy with the Meyle HDs, but I would love to hear a comparison of the steering response with those w.r.t. the ZHP's.

And it's just not the ball joints that matters in control arms. The geometry of the control arms is the key. It's true that metal balls joints last longer, but for performance issues, like steering, the geometry of the control arm determines how much stress is transferred onto the chassis, resulting in a very different driving feel.
The feel is in the balljoint construction. I highly doubt the "geometry" is different. This would mean the alignment spec of sport package and ZHP would be different.

Are they?
__________________
A lifetime free of problems if you follow my guides
Cooling | Maintenance | Suspension | Vacuum | Supreme Reliability | Details

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:56 PM   #16
Mango
A full five stars, son
 
Mango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 23,226
My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanC View Post
Not being sarcastic. It's well known now that all 02+ cars have the same rack, yet ZHP feels like it's much shorter.
That's subjective. Part numbers are objective.
__________________
A lifetime free of problems if you follow my guides
Cooling | Maintenance | Suspension | Vacuum | Supreme Reliability | Details

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:58 PM   #17
SeanC
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: TX
Posts: 4,053
My Ride: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
The feel is in the balljoint construction. I highly doubt the "geometry" is different. This would mean the alignment spec of sport package and ZHP would be different.

Are they?
Alignment is irrelevant. I am talking about the design of the ZHP arms that makes its steering more responsive (people refer to these as being more "beefy"). If you haven't seen a side by side picture of a ZHP arm and a regular sport package one, do a google image search.
__________________

Black Sapphire MetallicNatural BrownSilver Cube e46 330i ZHP/6MT - Sold
HellrotDove Grey e36 ///M3 - RIP
Alpine WhiteTanSand High Gloss e46 330i SlickTop/5MT
Black Sapphire MetallicNevada BrownDark Bamboo e70 X5 xDrive4.8
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:02 PM   #18
SeanC
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: TX
Posts: 4,053
My Ride: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
That's subjective. Part numbers are objective.
Yes, that's why ZHP arms have unique part numbers, but there is only one part number for the steering rack for 02+ cars
__________________

Black Sapphire MetallicNatural BrownSilver Cube e46 330i ZHP/6MT - Sold
HellrotDove Grey e36 ///M3 - RIP
Alpine WhiteTanSand High Gloss e46 330i SlickTop/5MT
Black Sapphire MetallicNevada BrownDark Bamboo e70 X5 xDrive4.8
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:03 PM   #19
Mango
A full five stars, son
 
Mango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 23,226
My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanC View Post
Alignment is irrelevant. I am talking about the design of the ZHP arms that makes its steering more responsive (people refer to these as being more "beefy"). If you haven't seen a side by side picture of a ZHP arm and a regular sport package one, do a google image search.

The ZHP arms are great and I'd love to have them. But it wouldn't be for claims of "steering feel" because my car already handles crisp, precise, and sharp. It would be just to have OE ZHP arms.

Sport package arm and non-sport package arms are the same. There's no need to single out sport package arms. There's ZHP and non-zhp. period (aside from XI)

I'm not buying your steering feel claim. I think thats just placebo effect--justifying money spent.

The balljoint and CAB locations would have to be virtually identical in both ZHP and non-ZHP arms. have evidence otherwise?
__________________
A lifetime free of problems if you follow my guides
Cooling | Maintenance | Suspension | Vacuum | Supreme Reliability | Details

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:08 PM   #20
SeanC
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: TX
Posts: 4,053
My Ride: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
The ZHP arms are great and I'd love to have them. But it wouldn't be for claims of "steering feel" because my car already handles crisp, precise, and sharp. It would be just to have OE ZHP arms.

Sport package arm and non-sport package arms are the same. There's no need to single out sport package arms. There's ZHP and non-zhp. period (aside from XI)

I'm not buying your steering feel claim. I think thats just placebo effect--justifying money spent.

The balljoint and CAB locations would have to be virtually identical in both ZHP and non-ZHP arms. have evidence otherwise?
Now you're being subjective by saying your handling being crisp and all that.

There is ZHP and non-ZHP arms, with unique part numbers, with the former having a different design.

Sorry but I don't buy your claim that the ball joint is responsible for steering feel. They are just that, ball joints, making the joint pivotable around an axis. If they are metal, all the better, they'll last longer.

It's the design of the arm itself, not the location of ball joints that is important. Change the design, you change a lot of things. And this, my friend, is the "myth" behind the ZHP saga. People need to realize this.
__________________

Black Sapphire MetallicNatural BrownSilver Cube e46 330i ZHP/6MT - Sold
HellrotDove Grey e36 ///M3 - RIP
Alpine WhiteTanSand High Gloss e46 330i SlickTop/5MT
Black Sapphire MetallicNevada BrownDark Bamboo e70 X5 xDrive4.8

Last edited by SeanC; 05-21-2012 at 07:09 PM.
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use