E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-21-2012, 07:10 PM   #21
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanC View Post
Now you're being subjective by saying your handling being crisp and all that.

There is ZHP and non-ZHP arms, with unique part numbers, with the former having a different design.

Sorry but I don't buy your claim that the ball joint is responsible for steering feel. They are just that, ball joints, making the joint pivotable around an axis. If they are metal, all the better, they'll last longer.

It's the design, not the location of ball joints that is important. Change the design, you change a lot of things. And this, my friend, is the "myth" behind the ZHP saga. People need to realize this.
You really don't know what you're talking about. You realize the non-ZHP arms have their balljoints encased in nylon for NVH characteristics, right? Do you know what NVH is? What do you think all-metal vs. nylon does for steering feel? Please stop posting.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS

Last edited by Mango; 05-21-2012 at 07:12 PM.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:14 PM   #22
SeanC

My Ride: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
You really don't know what you're talking about. You realize the non-ZHP arms have their balljoints encased in nylon for NVH characteristics, right? Do you know what NVH is? What do you think all-metal vs. nylon does for steering feel? Please stop posting.
You can't see beyond the this whole ball joint thing. Yes, the ball joints are different, but ball joint cannot result in a different steering feel by itself. Their primary purpose is to pivot around the joint. Who cares about the NVH? (and yes, I do know it). You digress.

Black Sapphire MetallicNatural BrownSilver Cube e46 330i ZHP/6MT - Sold
HellrotDove Grey e36 ///M3 - RIP
Alpine WhiteTanSand High Gloss e46 330i SlickTop/5MT
Black Sapphire MetallicNevada BrownDark Bamboo e70 X5 xDrive4.8
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:24 PM   #23
EDawg

My Ride: :/
can someone post a pic of ZHP vs. non ZHP arms side by side? thanks.
EDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:33 PM   #24
SeanC

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDawg View Post
can someone post a pic of ZHP vs. non ZHP arms side by side? thanks.
Check out this post by alex323ci:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...2&postcount=18

Best I could do now. My flight is boarding...

Old 05-21-2012, 07:45 PM   #25
Projekt330s

My Ride: 2004 BMW 330i
I have non oem Dorman control arms I picked up and installed from speedcrazy1532 last summer. Illinois winters, sh*tty roads, and no problems at all.
Projekt330s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:49 PM   #26
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
You can't see beyond the this whole ball joint thing. Yes, the ball joints are different, but ball joint cannot result in a different steering feel by itself. Their primary purpose is to pivot around the joint. Who cares about the NVH? (and yes, I do know it). You digress.
Ugh. We're talking in circles here. YOU made the claim that the steering feel is improved with the ZHP control arms due to geometry changes. You provide no evidence of this geometry change.

THEN you refuted my claim that the balljoints in ZHP arms are what give you improved steering feel (over nylon-encased non-ZHP arms), NOT geometry within the arm itself.

You are wrong on every account. Do not make wild claims that ZHP arm geometry is different and is the reason for its increased feel or sportyness. All three points of the arm lie on the same axis at the same exact points as the non-ZHP arms and Meyle Arms. Otherwise the Meyle arms wouldn't be interchangeable with either.

Your claims are absolutely ridiculous.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS

Last edited by Mango; 05-21-2012 at 07:50 PM.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:52 PM   #27
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Projekt330s View Post
I have non oem Dorman control arms I picked up and installed from speedcrazy1532 last summer. Illinois winters, sh*tty roads, and no problems at all.
There's a company named Dorman that makes the OE control arms? I did not know that!

You sure you don't mean OE-style replacements?

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 05-21-2012, 07:53 PM   #28
VALMONT
The De46vil's Army

My Ride: 325Ci, Passat
Send a message via AIM to VALMONT Send a message via MSN to VALMONT
he said "non oem"
Old 05-21-2012, 08:01 PM   #29
Mango
A full five stars, son

Here's MY photo of the Meyle HD arms:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=841749

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 05-21-2012, 08:01 PM   #30
2003 325i

My Ride: '03 Orient Blue 325i
exactly, I have the dorman arms too. THey're great and holding up well. Unfortunately I can't say the same about their CABs. I need to change them out.
2003 325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:13 PM   #31
Projekt330s

My Ride: 2004 BMW 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003 325i View Post
exactly, I have the dorman arms too. THey're great and holding up well. Unfortunately I can't say the same about their CABs. I need to change them out.
That's where I opted for HD bushings.
Projekt330s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:21 PM   #32
VG1134
Old City Bimmer

My Ride: Classifieds
OEM all the way
VG1134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:27 PM   #33
jlaroc1990

My Ride: 13 WRX Hatch
uh. I would go oem definitely
jlaroc1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:43 PM   #34
hanna

My Ride: BMW 328i
Doorman arms work really well for me. 4 years, no problem.
hanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:49 PM   #35
JohnIBarr01

My Ride: ZHP 6MT, Mk.6, Jeep
So much cockslinging going on in here...

I'm not a physics or geometry major. But I drive a ZHP almost every day as my personal car, and non-ZHP 330i's (ZSP and standard) at work every day. The ZHP has a tighter steering feel and turns quicker than the non-ZHP 3'ers.

In addition (and don't ask me why because I don't engineer the cars, I just fix them), replacing LCAB's on the ZHP and 3'ers with the ZHP arms are a bigger headache sometimes than on non-ZHP cars. This could have something to do with the "geometry" of the arms, but like I said, I just get paid to replace them, not CAD them out and analyze their measurements and angles. Unless it's on the alignment rack.
Let me guess: This doesn't happen in Germany

Last edited by JohnIBarr01; 05-21-2012 at 09:50 PM.
JohnIBarr01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:09 PM   #36
Mango
A full five stars, son

Don't forget the ZHP has 15mm lower springs, firmer struts/shocks, and thicker swaybar in front. Also keep in mind that hopefully you're comparing these with 9/01+ 330s which have the same rack as ZHPs. Further, again, Meyle HD, and ///M ZHP are for all intents and purposes IDENTICAL with respect to geometry and construction style/materials. So add all those up along w/ non-ZHPs having non-ZHP control arms (which are nylon-encased balljoints) and you have the "effect" of stiffer steering. Having different "geometry" would make no sense at all. Alignment specs are the same.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 05-21-2012, 10:11 PM   #37
SeanC

Relax. I can read without the bold fonts just fine. I posted just above you a link to a picture that shows the ZHP and non-ZHP arms. They are different, read: the ZHP is thicker, beefier, i.e. they have a different geometry. How can you say I did not post a proof of this?

Thicker arms will result in a tighter steering, a fact that I don't need to claim.

If there is a claim here, it is the claim that metal ball joints resulting in tighter steering, and it belongs to you. The question is, can you back it up?

Quote:
Ugh. We're talking in circles here. YOU made the claim that the steering feel is improved with the ZHP control arms due to geometry changes. You provide no evidence of this geometry change.

THEN you refuted my claim that the balljoints in ZHP arms are what give you improved steering feel (over nylon-encased non-ZHP arms), NOT geometry within the arm itself.

You are wrong on every account. Do not make wild claims that ZHP arm geometry is different and is the reason for its increased feel or sportyness. All three points of the arm lie on the same axis at the same exact points as the non-ZHP arms and Meyle Arms. Otherwise the Meyle arms wouldn't be interchangeable with either.

Your claims are absolutely ridiculous.

Old 05-21-2012, 10:21 PM   #38
SeanC

Quote:
Don't forget the ZHP has 15mm lower springs, firmer struts/shocks, and thicker swaybar in front. Also keep in mind that hopefully you're comparing these with 9/01+ 330s which have the same rack as ZHPs. Further, again, Meyle HD, and ///M ZHP are for all intents and purposes IDENTICAL with respect to geometry and construction style/materials. So add all those up along w/ non-ZHPs having non-ZHP control arms (which are nylon-encased balljoints) and you have the "effect" of stiffer steering. Having different "geometry" would make no sense at all. Alignment specs are the same.
Ok this post shows how little you know about these cars. All I'm going to say is that the ZHP doesn't have lower springs or anything. Springs depend only on the options that a car has, not even the packages. Go back to 5 years ago and read jpr's extensive research on this.

Edit: my 05/01 build non-sport package 330 have the same 23.5pm front sway bar. ZHP doesn't have a thicker front sway bar either.

Last edited by SeanC; 05-21-2012 at 10:28 PM.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:26 PM   #39
SeanC

I think I may have used the term "geometry" in a too technical way for mango to understand. It's not just about distances from point a to b. It's the whole 3D design I'm talking about here.

Old 05-21-2012, 10:27 PM   #40
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Relax. I can read without the bold fonts just fine. I posted just above you a link to a picture that shows the ZHP and non-ZHP arms. They are different, read: the ZHP is thicker, beefier, i.e. they have a different geometry. How can you say I did not post a proof of this?

Thicker arms will result in a tighter steering, a fact that I don't need to claim.

If there is a claim here, it is the claim that metal ball joints resulting in tighter steering, and it belongs to you. The question is, can you back it up?

I had ZHP and non ZHP arms side by side at one point. They were identical asides for the balljoint. Even the stamped numbers were the same. I'll see if I can dig up the pictures I took