E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.50 average.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:04 PM   #441
being3
Modded ///Member
 
being3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: British Columbia, Canada eh
Posts: 1,042
My Ride: HPF M3 2.5+
Send a message via Skype™ to being3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchleung View Post
Hey I'm in Penticton. Give me a shout next time you're in town.. haha
Cool I just arrived in revelstoke. I'll be heading back Tues / Wed thru kelowna. Not sure if ur in the area
__________________
"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you go through it."
being3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:05 PM   #442
being3
Modded ///Member
 
being3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: British Columbia, Canada eh
Posts: 1,042
My Ride: HPF M3 2.5+
Send a message via Skype™ to being3
Put over 500 km today Man this car has passing power. Effortless.
__________________
"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you go through it."

Last edited by being3; 07-16-2012 at 09:27 PM.
being3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:42 PM   #443
being3
Modded ///Member
 
being3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: British Columbia, Canada eh
Posts: 1,042
My Ride: HPF M3 2.5+
Send a message via Skype™ to being3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchleung View Post
Hey I'm in Penticton. Give me a shout next time you're in town.. haha
Update I will be passing thru Penticton Tuesday night or Wensday late morning if u want to grab a coffee
__________________
"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you go through it."
being3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:25 PM   #444
Tchleung
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 624
My Ride: 02 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by being3 View Post
Man this car has passing power. Effortless.
Car must be a blast to drive through the open roads of the Okanagan! Even with our nice long highways, it's never enough especially for an M3 like yours haha.


Quote:
Originally Posted by being3 View Post
Update I will be passing thru Penticton Tuesday night or Wensday late morning if u want to grab a coffee
Cool man, I'll PM you my number.

Edit: your inbox is full so I emailed you.
__________________
Follow me on Instagram @tommtomm84

00 Jet Black 323i 5MT - Fuel Saver

02 Carbon Black M3 6MT - Fun Car
456whp/312wtq @ 8psi, No #'s yet at 9psi
4.10 / Headers / ESS VT2-550+


Last edited by Tchleung; 07-16-2012 at 09:28 PM.
Tchleung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:19 AM   #445
being3
Modded ///Member
 
being3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: British Columbia, Canada eh
Posts: 1,042
My Ride: HPF M3 2.5+
Send a message via Skype™ to being3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchleung View Post
Car must be a blast to drive through the open roads of the Okanagan! Even with our nice long highways, it's never enough especially for an M3 like yours haha.




Cool man, I'll PM you my number.

Edit: your inbox is full so I emailed you.
I emptied my mail box so it good to go. I'll txt u when I'm in the area. For sure the highways r perfect for driving and am having a blast learning how this car reacts to different circumstances and road conditions. Much different With the SMG an need to be careful especially if u get on it and it gears down in auto mode it can catch u off guard and Hanging on for dear life is all I can say.
__________________
"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you go through it."
being3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:29 AM   #446
350ZBOY
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Mitten
Posts: 266
My Ride: TL type S
So is everything running smooth now?
__________________
| 2006 350Z | 2007 350Z | 2007 Nismo 350Z | 2009 Nismo 370Z | 2007 Acura TL Type S | 2008 C63 AMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmon_101 View Post
no offense to the owners on here, but I've never met a 350Z owner that wasn't a douche. are you a douche?
350ZBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:52 AM   #447
being3
Modded ///Member
 
being3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: British Columbia, Canada eh
Posts: 1,042
My Ride: HPF M3 2.5+
Send a message via Skype™ to being3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODEHBOY View Post
So is everything running smooth now?
It's running way better. There is still something not quite right as the afr s at idle r still a bit rich and fluctuate. Im close though. I just need some time to
Do a few more checks and sensor swaps.
__________________
"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you go through it."
being3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:20 AM   #448
being3
Modded ///Member
 
being3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: British Columbia, Canada eh
Posts: 1,042
My Ride: HPF M3 2.5+
Send a message via Skype™ to being3
Well went thru my first set of rears. Lol. Ordered some NT05 and will have even more fun. Put lots of miles over the last week (1000) I can actually say that I have never spent so much on fuel in such a short time. Lol.
__________________
"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you go through it."

Last edited by being3; 07-31-2012 at 10:36 PM.
being3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:58 AM   #449
Britisham
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Seattle, Washington
Posts: 187
My Ride: '01 E46 M3 Sil/Imola
I only read like the last page or so of this thread and my AFR's are exactly how you describe yours to be and have been since I got my car done. AC on runs leaner and the idle AFR's are about the same as you say. I have returned the car twice to have this checked by HPF and they say its normal. Just FYI.
__________________
HPF Stage 2.5 #10
Britisham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 05:32 PM   #450
being3
Modded ///Member
 
being3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: British Columbia, Canada eh
Posts: 1,042
My Ride: HPF M3 2.5+
Send a message via Skype™ to being3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britisham View Post
I only read like the last page or so of this thread and my AFR's are exactly how you describe yours to be and have been since I got my car done. AC on runs leaner and the idle AFR's are about the same as you say. I have returned the car twice to have this checked by HPF and they say its normal. Just FYI.
How many miles on the original motor? How many on the kit? Is it a stage 2 or 2.5? Do ur afr at idle move fluctuate around at times such as 11s to 12.5 and back to 11s. Sometimes seeing 13 or so
__________________
"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you go through it."
being3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 03:47 AM   #451
Britisham
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Seattle, Washington
Posts: 187
My Ride: '01 E46 M3 Sil/Imola
Quote:
Originally Posted by being3 View Post
How many miles on the original motor? How many on the kit? Is it a stage 2 or 2.5? Do ur afr at idle move fluctuate around at times such as 11s to 12.5 and back to 11s. Sometimes seeing 13 or so
Took my car to HPF with about 115K. On OEM motor, it dynoed low in stock form and needed to be rebuilt so I went with the built motor. I have about 125K on my car now so approximately 10k on the built motor. It is a 2.5 and yes they fluctuate around the numbers you stated. Rarely do I see a 13.X at idle unless my AC is on.
__________________
HPF Stage 2.5 #10

Last edited by Britisham; 08-04-2012 at 03:49 AM.
Britisham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:18 AM   #452
Bdave
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 1,827
My Ride: M3 HPF Stage 3
Moved post to start a new thread
__________________

Last edited by Bdave; 08-04-2012 at 08:32 AM.
Bdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:14 PM   #453
being3
Modded ///Member
 
being3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: British Columbia, Canada eh
Posts: 1,042
My Ride: HPF M3 2.5+
Send a message via Skype™ to being3
What camber r u guys running in the rear? I have my inside belts showing and the rest of the tire is about 50%. I'm assuming under acceleration the car is squatting and wearing the inside. Both rears r doing the same. Looking for the best Compromise for handling and hard straight line acceleration for an Hpf setup
__________________
"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you go through it."

Last edited by being3; 08-10-2012 at 08:22 PM.
being3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:28 PM   #454
InDiGlOM3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Copperas Cove
Posts: 1,476
My Ride: HPF M3 stg 2.5
Send a message via AIM to InDiGlOM3 Send a message via Yahoo to InDiGlOM3
Quote:
Originally Posted by being3 View Post
What camber r u guys running in the rear? I have my inside belts showing and the rest of the tire is about 50%. I'm assuming under acceleration the car is squatting and wearing the inside. Both rears r doing the same. Looking for the best Compromise for handling and hard straight line acceleration for an Hpf setup


ZERO camber!!! unless hitting up auto-x and the race track then you want some neg camber.
__________________
InDiGlOM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:39 PM   #455
being3
Modded ///Member
 
being3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: British Columbia, Canada eh
Posts: 1,042
My Ride: HPF M3 2.5+
Send a message via Skype™ to being3
Quote:
Originally Posted by InDiGlOM3 View Post
ZERO camber!!! unless hitting up auto-x and the race track then you want some neg camber.
Thanks I hope I have the clearance. I mount new tires Monday when I'm back in town and I'll adjust the camber then
__________________
"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you go through it."
being3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 07:59 PM   #456
Bdave
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 1,827
My Ride: M3 HPF Stage 3
I agree with the zero rear camber except for HPDE. But its not a bad idea to always keep just a tad toe in...3/16" total for street and 1/4" total for HPDE. Or just leave it at 3/16" for good tire life. Toe OUT in front or rear will scrub your tires fast. Your rears should never be run with toe out.

Just realize that zero camber in the rears MAY all of a sudden cause fender clearance issues. Be prepared to trim the fender inside lip(saws all, then sealant or bondo followed by underbody spray) and roll if necessary.

I saw a a guy with a Nissan 350 once with wide rears. He decided to run an abnormal amount of rear camber JUST so his tires would not rub the outer fenders. The inside tire to road contact now will wear out in no time flat! And it LOOKED ridiculous.

Never adjust alignment just for the sake of fitting a tire. Run the alignment you need and then adjust any body panels as necessary.
__________________

Last edited by Bdave; 08-12-2012 at 08:06 PM.
Bdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 09:56 PM   #457
being3
Modded ///Member
 
being3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: British Columbia, Canada eh
Posts: 1,042
My Ride: HPF M3 2.5+
Send a message via Skype™ to being3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdave View Post
I agree with the zero rear camber except for HPDE. But its not a bad idea to always keep just a tad toe in...3/16" total for street and 1/4" total for HPDE. Or just leave it at 3/16" for good tire life. Toe OUT in front or rear will scrub your tires fast. Your rears should never be run with toe out.

Just realize that zero camber in the rears MAY all of a sudden cause fender clearance issues. Be prepared to trim the fender inside lip(saws all, then sealant or bondo followed by underbody spray) and roll if necessary.

I saw a a guy with a Nissan 350 once with wide rears. He decided to run an abnormal amount of rear camber JUST so his tires would not rub the outer fenders. The inside tire to road contact now will wear out in no time flat! And it LOOKED ridiculous.

Never adjust alignment just for the sake of fitting a tire. Run the alignment you need and then adjust any body panels as necessary.
Thanks much appreciated. I'll look into cutting the inside rear lip an sealing it up like u suggested. I'm running 275 30 19 nitro nt 05. Its tight as it is I have about 1/4 inch or so to play with Clearence wise with the top lip.
__________________
"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you go through it."
being3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 09:58 PM   #458
being3
Modded ///Member
 
being3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: British Columbia, Canada eh
Posts: 1,042
My Ride: HPF M3 2.5+
Send a message via Skype™ to being3
Got my Okada coil that was missing so now All cylinders will be happier.
Also got my cam timing, tdc lock pin and crank socket. So no I'm ready to do vanos and cam bolt inspection and change if needed.
__________________
"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you go through it."

Last edited by being3; 08-12-2012 at 10:00 PM.
being3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:57 AM   #459
being3
Modded ///Member
 
being3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: British Columbia, Canada eh
Posts: 1,042
My Ride: HPF M3 2.5+
Send a message via Skype™ to being3
Afr a lot better. Running around 12.8 to 13.2 warm

With ac on or valve breather off its 13.8 to 14.3 warm

I'll have to drive it to see how it holds up

What made the difference from the previous gains was Changing one factory coil with proper okada one. When I got the car it had 6 Okada coil and one stock. Apparently the pervious owner had to replace a failed Okada one and used a stock one as Okada only sells sets. I thank Kirk at HPF for his efforts working with Okada to just get me one to help me out

So to move closer to solving the problem so far I replaced vanos selinoid and valve block as well as one coil. I'm getting closer.

I must admit the perfectionist I can be wants it to be at 14.7 and not dance arround So I'll be digging further. Seems I had multiple contributing factors which made it difficult to diagnose

Happy man
__________________
"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you go through it."

Last edited by being3; 08-13-2012 at 12:41 PM.
being3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:47 PM   #460
Bdave
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 1,827
My Ride: M3 HPF Stage 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by being3 View Post
Thanks much appreciated. I'll look into cutting the inside rear lip an sealing it up like u suggested. I'm running 275 30 19 nitro nt 05. Its tight as it is I have about 1/4 inch or so to play with Clearence wise with the top lip.
If you can get most of a finger between fender and tire with zero camber and finger at vertical then you are probably OK. You are not going to have much if any sidewall flex and bulge with those 30 series tires. They are hooking in first for you OK? Zero camber will help hook.

You had some battle with AFR's. Dont envy. Keep on going until you get it where you want it! You are Ok for now as far as drivability.
__________________

Last edited by Bdave; 08-13-2012 at 12:51 PM.
Bdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
e46 m3, hpf, stage 2.5, turbo

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use