E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-22-2012, 09:41 AM   #1
SUHLeen

My Ride: 2005 Saleen Mustang
p1092/p1093

Hey guys,

I've searched and read every topic on this matter. I have bimmerbrakes headers and I have an AA tune. the AA tune removed my CEL for the post cats but now I have these codes (P1092 and P1093) and I can't find anyone on the forum that has had both. Some people will have one or the other, but not both.

What does this code pertain to?

p1092/1093 is Pre-Catalyst Fuel Trim Too Lean Bank 1/2

What is causing my car to run too lean? I'm having bad gas mileage right now (compared to normal) and it seems like I'm lacking a lot of torque. When I hit the gas the car seems like it weighs 10000 pounds and can barely get moving. But, running too lean does not sound right because my car has the usual, horrible gas smell associated with headers (since it actually runs more rich)

In the past year I've done the vanos seal, VCG, plugs, ccv, and any normal maintenance for a car at 122k. I'm still running stock coils (01 build car, bremi coils) and I also have not changed out my DISA but that is next up. I'm not sure if that can contribute to this?

The only thing I can come up with via searching is that I need new pre-cat o2 sensors (which I bought just not installed yet). I was getting ready to but then remembered the headers relocates the pre-cat sensors. OR, maybe my wiring for the o2 sensors got mixed up? If they got mixed up, would the car run? Or will it be really noticeable?

The car has been driving a little funny lately as far as how it has been accelerating and driving. I'm lost for things to do especially since there is pretty much nothing with e46's and both these codes on the internet

- Phil
11 335is - TT 7 spd DCT daily :)
05 Saleen Mustang - forged, stroked, blown,... and on some juice
01 BMW 330ci - Totaled by some bish!
Financial Help
SUHLeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:46 AM   #2
SUHLeen

Now I did read another topic just a couple seconds ago saying a generic tool gave someone the p1092 code but when he had a BMW dealership scan the car, it pulled up an actual BMW specific code 235 which is p1190. In my topic here, http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...7#post14321007, I already had the p1190 and p1193 codes. What is going on? I hope I did not pay AA $327 for nothing.

- Phil
Financial Help
Old 05-22-2012, 10:01 AM   #3
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
You have to be careful about the codes that are presented by the tools. Also if you read through the Bentley manual, assuming it is correct, there can be multiple codes that state the same description??

Suggest you read over the first link in my signature below.

Also do you trigger the CEL at idle or while at highway speeds?'

Also are you 100% confident you do not have any header to cylinder head exhaust leaks? These can and do happen and can cause the car to read lean but then cause all sorts of strange problems.

Also how old is your MAF?

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:08 AM   #4
SUHLeen

I have a feeling the mechanic used the eBay gaskets that came with my first set of headers but I'm not sure. Is there any way to easily check?

And the maf is a stock maf. I cleaned it once and that is all I've done with the maf since I got the car. Im getting tired of just replacing parts. I want to just to do preventative maintenance but right now I'm real low on funds and do not want to just keep replacing stuff to have the problem still persist

And I'm not sure about when the cel throws the code. I have a code from my secondary air pump also, could these four codes total be stemming from the same problem?

I just want my car to accelerate smoothly like it used to and just run a lil healthier for everything I've done to it. Something just is not adding up. When I accelerate, every couple hundred rpm's there is a slight dip on power, all through the band. Someone just hopping in my car would not notice it but since I drive it all the time I can tell it does not have a smooth accel

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Bimmer

- Phil
Financial Help
Old 05-22-2012, 12:59 PM   #5
Slopestyle

My Ride: E46 '02. 330Ci Coup
Read the Man's link, its invaluable information. Print it out. slide it in a folder in a fire proof box it will save you some time.
Slopestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:06 PM   #6
BROKENBIMMER

My Ride: 328i
Sounds like maf problems
BROKENBIMMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:52 PM   #7
jfoj

If you have SAP codes, you need to check my link below in my signature. There is a specific section on the SAP codes. As you have an early 330, I think you SAP control valve is vacuum controlled and I would expect that you have a least a few cracked or broken vacuum lines. These may also be part of your lean codes as well.

As for the MAF, it could be causing you problems, cleaning the MAF is kind of like snake oil in my opinion. The hot film MAF's build up an oxide coating after a period of time and MAF cleaner will not address this issue. Also there are other MAF failure modes and the only way to correctly test a MAF is with a VE test.

Fuel pump soft failures are also a source of some lean codes. All I can say is if you have your original fuel pump on your 10 year daily driver, you are on borrowed time and you should plan on replacing your fuel pump soon just because!

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

Old 05-23-2012, 12:15 AM   #8
SUHLeen

I was posting from my cell phone earlier so I did not see his sig. I went to the link and decided I might as well take a look at my DISA. Well it seems like it works perfect but the o-ring was bad and I had previously bought one so I installed it. I feel a small difference already so I think I'm getting there. I guess the money I was going to spend on a DISA, since it did not make any noise and retract perfectly, will go toward a new MAF. Since that is electrical I have a feeling what you are saying is right, and cleaning it will only make it worse.

I'll have to take a look at all the SAP stuff and see if I can get that narrowed down. I'll also look into the fuel pump. I did not know fuel pumps were troublesome in e46's

- Phil
Financial Help
Old 05-23-2012, 06:50 AM   #9
jfoj

Here is the deal, MAF may help, but is rarely the problem for lean codes.

Most lean codes are due to vacuum leaks.

Some things other than vacuum leaks can cause lean lean codes are, bad O2 sensors, exhaust leaks letting air into the exhaust stream, fuel pressure/pump issues and sometimes MAF problems.

Your car is of the age that most all of your vacuum hoses and rubber parts under the hood need to be replaced, '01 with 133k miles.

Most of the common hoses are around $50 in parts, you will spend almost 5 times this amount for a MAF and your hoses will still be a problem. Either a problem now or in the near future.

If it was my car and a daily driver here is what I would do in order:

1. Replace the lower CCV oil drain hose, you can use a piece of 3/8" fuel line, or just get the OEM hose and connector for around $10-$15. You may have this covered when you replaced your CCV, but it is still worth checking.

2. Check and probably replace the lower intake boot.

3. Replace the DISA O-ring, which you appear to have already addressed.

4. Check the SAP pump outlet hose, probably cracked and rotten where is connects to the SAP air control valve.

5. Replace the SAP vacuum line from under the rear of the intake to the SAP air control valve. Since you changed your valve cover gasket recently, chances are the hard plastic vacuum like near the O2 sensors is cracked and extremely brittle.

6. Replace the fuel pump and filter and check the fuel pressure regulator vacuum hose.

7. Check for vacuum leaks around the intake area, there are small vacuum hoses and vacuum caps that can crack, leak and fall off.

8. I would leave the MAF until dead last as an item to replace due to its cost and likelihood that it the primary cause of your codes and problems.

Last edited by jfoj; 05-23-2012 at 06:55 AM.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:34 AM   #10
SUHLeen

Thanks for the great reply! I did a kit from ecs tuning that was supposed to replace all the stuff. Whether my mechanic actually replaced them all is another question... I hear what sounds like could be a vacuum leak coming from the middle of the intake manifold/engine cover area. Sounds like the car is breathing almost but a constant flow. What would be around that area that could cause that?

As far as the SAP goes, do I really need to fix it? I have headers with no cats so honestly I was thinking about removing it... are there still vacuum lines to/from that SAP that can affect my car?

And lastly, my lower intake boot looks good except a little part on the elbow. I noticed it when I did my o-ring yesterday. I'll post some pics. It looks like it is cracking but not completely through, idk. Also, you can see on my DISA where dirt and debris got into the valve due to the bad o ring. I forgot about actually testing if the vacuum mechanism works so I'll to wait and do that.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Bimmer
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1337787130513.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	452848   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1337787168027.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	452849   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1337787202087.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	452850  

- Phil
Financial Help
Old 05-23-2012, 12:55 PM   #11
jfoj

Be careful about the BMW vacuum leak sound, all the 6 cylinders have this sound when idling so do not go off chasing things based upon that sound yet.

Your lower intake boot is in need of replacement, cannot tell if it has torn yet, but soon it will. $15 from my favorite parts supplier below.

The SAP may be giving you a CEL due to headers, not CAT's and no post CAT O2 sensors. Not 100% about that??

Sounds like you should consider an aftermarket tune or the European tune that ignores the SAP and post CAT 02 sensors.

But you probably have vacuum hoses associated with the SAP under the intake that my be leaking and/or missing vacuum plug(s). Also if your mechanic replaced the CCV, they may have skipped some of the hoses and on some of the CCV, there is an open vacuum port that needs to be plugged and many times is overlooked.

A smoke test may help you out, search the forum for making a smoke tester as they can be helpful, even could help with header to cylinder head leak identification by smoking up the exhaust with the car turned off, try it with the car cold and warm and see what happens.

Old 05-23-2012, 01:42 PM   #12
SUHLeen

I'm going to have my mechanic do a smoke test and see.

I thought the vacuum sound was normal at first, but then second guessed it, so thanks for clearing it up...

And I have an Active Autowerks tune that turned off monitoring of the rear o2 sensors. I did get a code for that BEFORE I did the tune, so that should be squared away.

I bought a boot two years ago and never installed it because I thought they gave me the wrong one. I'll have to look for it and pull the part number and get it replaced.

Is there a diagram that shows the CCV system and what needs to be how?

I wish you were closer to Columbus I'd pay you to help! lol

- Phil
Financial Help
Old 10-17-2012, 11:12 PM   #13
bmve03

My Ride: 2003 Bmw 330ci
headache

i have a 2003 bmw 330ci. I have headers, active flash tune, and cat back exhaust. I am experiencing the codes p1092 and p1093. My car was in the shop for a month. when i received it back i had these codes. I cant figure this out. Yes the battery power was lost a few times i think not sure tho. Please help me
bmve03 is offline   Reply With Quote