E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-23-2012, 08:17 PM   #1
Bavaryan

My Ride: 330i w/out park.
hiccup when starting out right after clutch is released fully=vanos??

It used to be once in a blue moon, but is getting more common. I will go to acclerate mildly, and it seems just about the same time as the clutch is fully released it will hiccup, almost like the engine cuts out for a *very* brief second. It is not me letting out the clutch improperly, it is definately something with the engine. It also does not do this on spirited or all-out takeoffs, just mild/normal acceleration. I've read the vanos symptoms and it seems similar, but I cannot pin point a specific RPM it is doing it at, but it is definately lower(sub 3k). No one seems to mention the failure characteristics if you are driving a manual...... but this seems like it.

Can anyone confirm this?

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:21 PM   #2
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
I don't think this is a normal vanos problem.
I'd be more suspect of a failed DISA. Have you replaced this recently?
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:24 PM   #3
Bavaryan

Have not, but I inspected it when I cleaned the throttle body and all seemed to be in good shape......

also, it does not have, nor ever had the tell-tail rattle of the DISA failing. I should also note the engine other than this runs absolutely perfect, idles perfect even when started cold in 30* temps, and is returning 22mpg with spirited driving.

Last edited by Bavaryan; 02-23-2012 at 08:31 PM.
Bavaryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:54 PM   #4
Bavaryan

bump....no one has any ideas other than DISA?
Old 03-09-2012, 08:28 PM   #5
ddaniel1
CWO4 (Ret)

My Ride: 328i, M3, 525iT
DISA isnt supposed to kick in until 4100 RPM. If the VANOS have never been done I would highly recommend it. Easy DIY.
ddaniel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 09:36 PM   #6
iansanderson

My Ride: 2001 330CiC
My car does the same thing under 3K and it's a manual. New DISA, OSV, spark plugs, air filter, cam intake/exhaust sensors, accelerator pedal module, you name it. Also did the clutch release sensor spacer mod, didn't help. Tried loading different software versions, no change.

I have not performed the VANOS seals update yet, but I don't suspect it helping much.

Cheat Sheet:

GT1/ISIS/MoDiC = Factory authorized diagnostic system used by BMW dealerships across the world.

NCS Expert = BMW Factory R&D programming tool available on the internet (not intended for the public and not available to the dealership network)

OEM = Genuine BMW part only available from a franchised BMW dealership.

DME = Engine Management Computer
iansanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:16 PM   #7
Stinger9

Yeah, I don't think the vanos symptoms encompasses the hiccup. Of course this can be double checked at the http://www.beisansystems.com/ site, which is completely thorough.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:29 PM   #8
zwei e46

My Ride: '99 323i & '05 325xi
My car does this as well ('99 323i w/139k) ... but randomly. I could have great launches all day, then boom, like op said "car cuts out". I watch the tach dive then come back up while I'm keeping constant pressure on throttle. Very frustrating.

I've done to date: New clutch at 120k (did same thing before clutch install), New plugs, O2 sensors, Vanos seals, VCG, new intake boots, CCV, cleaned disa w/new gasket, cleaned ICV w/new gasket, cleaned throttle body w/new gasket, cleaned MAF, disconnected MAF, new clutch slave cylinder, and did the clutch switch mod. All with the same "random" result.

I even tried checking for stored codes with my Peake but to no avail. I bought some new vacuum lines I'll be installing soon and see if that affects anything. But again, no codes, so I doubt it. I also have a new clutch master cylinder, but haven't installed it yet.

Verrry interested in this thread.
zwei e46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 02:59 AM   #9
ddaniel1
CWO4 (Ret)

VANOS symptoms can include the hiccup, good description here from the founder of beisan systems:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...vanos+solution

If they haven't been done I feel it is worth the trouble and 100 Dollars or so when you throw in a VCG. Made a huge performance difference in our 328 with 240K.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:25 AM   #10
Stinger9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaniel1 View Post
VANOS symptoms can include the hiccup, good description here from the founder of beisan systems:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...vanos+solution

If they haven't been done I feel it is worth the trouble and 100 Dollars or so when you throw in a VCG. Made a huge performance difference in our 328 with 240K.
To date there are 2,051 posts at the thread you've directed to. This isn't exactly pin-pointing the spot where the hiccup is attributed to the vanos seals.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:35 AM   #11
ddaniel1
CWO4 (Ret)

Ok from the thread: "What are the symptoms of a failing vanos?
On autos with the M52TU engine (98/99-00) the failing vanos is causing engine idle jolts (dramatic drops) and possibly a stall on cold engine starts (< 55 F / 13 C).
On other cars with the M52TU, M54, M56 engines, car performance will be degraded. The engine will bog and hiccup at lower RPM's (< 3k). There will also be a general loss of torque and power, mostly at lower RPM's (< 3k)."
Old 03-10-2012, 11:50 AM   #12
ddaniel1
CWO4 (Ret)

Also from the thread posted above, a test I didn't see before in post 25:
Here's a method for attempting to gage the vanos failure degradation. Get the car in third gear at ~1500 RPM on an incline. Fully depress the throttle. With a failing vanos unit the car will bog and clime very slowly. With a well functioning vanos, the car will have good torque and acceleration.

ALL the vanos units are failing. The O-rings simply do not handle the engine environment. There can be grades of failure. This will depend on time of use and spirited driving. Sports driving will cause the engine oil temperature to peak and will intern cause increased damage to the O-rings.
In my experience from inspecting many O-rings and speaking with many owners who have performed the repair, ALL the vanos O-rings are badly damaged."

I had the dancing idle when cold, which was what led me to doing the VANOS seals, this being my first BMW I thought the power and responsiveness were normal before the VANOS, after the VANOS it was night and day performance wise.
Old 03-10-2012, 01:58 PM   #13
Bavaryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaniel1 View Post
Also from the thread posted above, a test I didn't see before in post 25:
Here's a method for attempting to gage the vanos failure degradation. Get the car in third gear at ~1500 RPM on an incline. Fully depress the throttle. With a failing vanos unit the car will bog and clime very slowly. With a well functioning vanos, the car will have good torque and acceleration.

ALL the vanos units are failing. The O-rings simply do not handle the engine environment. There can be grades of failure. This will depend on time of use and spirited driving. Sports driving will cause the engine oil temperature to peak and will intern cause increased damage to the O-rings.
In my experience from inspecting many O-rings and speaking with many owners who have performed the repair, ALL the vanos O-rings are badly damaged."

I had the dancing idle when cold, which was what led me to doing the VANOS seals, this being my first BMW I thought the power and responsiveness were normal before the VANOS, after the VANOS it was night and day performance wise.
no real inclines to speak up here in florida! I will give this a try though, thanks for posting!
Old 03-10-2012, 03:10 PM   #14
riscal33

My Ride: '02 330xi 3pedal
Mine has 96k and has been experiencing the same "hiccup" symptoms for a few months. It gets worse as the engine warms up. When I first get in in the morning it works as it should but gets worse quickly. I have also started to notice that my mpg gauge dances when I depress the clutch fully. I am interested to see what the verdict is, I was going to start searching for vacuum leaks.
riscal33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 11:50 PM   #15
330i4me

My Ride: 01 330i
my 330i does exactly the same, 131k, good disa, eu2 tune, new plugs, fuel pump, 02's etc original vanos???
330i4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 12:33 AM   #16
edz2003

My Ride: 2003 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by riscal33 View Post
Mine has 96k and has been experiencing the same "hiccup" symptoms for a few months. It gets worse as the engine warms up. When I first get in in the morning it works as it should but gets worse quickly. I have also started to notice that my mpg gauge dances when I depress the clutch fully. I am interested to see what the verdict is, I was going to start searching for vacuum leaks.
exact same issue on mine too, i just did my vanos 2 weeks ago but I'm not how long it takes for it to be worked in, curious to know if thats the reason!! please let us know if anyone figures out the problem
edz2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:21 AM   #17
Bavaryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by edz2003 View Post
exact same issue on mine too, i just did my vanos 2 weeks ago but I'm not how long it takes for it to be worked in, curious to know if thats the reason!! please let us know if anyone figures out the problem
So you have replaced your VANOS seals and still are experiencing the hiccup? That is discouraging.......
Old 05-24-2012, 06:11 PM   #18
Bavaryan

Just wanted to update and say that replacing my pre cat 02 sensors appears to have fixed the problem. It has not done this all week since they were replaced. Was not throwing any codes, just did it at 120k miles since bmw recommended it 20k ago!
Old 05-24-2012, 06:15 PM   #19
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

My Ride: M54B30
I did EVERYTHING to my car short of replacing clutch/flywheel/pressure plate and still have this low rpm hiccup/violent surge. The engine delays at mild/moderate/heavy takeoff, then after a second, acceleration kicks in hard. I did everything everything everything. I did the oxygen sensors. Still have the problem.

To avoid it, I just take off gently and proceed as normal. Nothing else abnormal. Engine purrs smoothly, no idle problems, etc. pulls strong to redline. VERY strange problem which I really want to get to the bottom of...

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:20 PM   #20
Bavaryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
I did EVERYTHING to my car short of replacing clutch/flywheel/pressure plate and still have this low rpm hiccup/violent surge. The engine delays at mild/moderate/heavy takeoff, then after a second, acceleration kicks in hard. I did everything everything everything. I did the oxygen sensors. Still have the problem.

To avoid it, I just take off gently and proceed as normal. Nothing else abnormal. Engine purrs smoothly, no idle problems, etc. pulls strong to redline. VERY strange problem which I really want to get to the bottom of...
Sorry to hear that, but i'm glad I at least seem to be having better luck! My Vanos has still not been done yet fyi, but i'm planning on waiting till the vcg starts to leak prior to doing that.

If it returns I will let you know, It irritated the who know what outa me!