E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum

The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum
Use this forum to discuss anything in relation to wheels to tires to offsets.
Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-17-2012, 09:01 PM   #1
Dom Smith

My Ride: '05 330i ZHP
Ride quality: Conty DW vs DWS vs Potenza RE040

I've been reading up on tires for my '05 ZHP 330i (225/40/18 & 255/35/18) and have not found much on ride quality (softness) comparisons. I've always replaced my tires with the OEM Potenzas and have come to the determination that there are much better tires out there. I'm trying to determine the differences between the DW and DWS compared to the Potenzas. I'm in San Diego so there is limited rain and I don't take this car to the snow. Here's what I would like:

1. Good cornering but no track/serious speeding driving requirements.
2. Improvement on tramlining.
3. Softer ride than the potenzas.
4. Don't care too much about tread life if it rides the way I want.
5. EDIT: Sorry, forgot to post that I want them to look good too.

I have read reviews, searched here and other sites but have not found info on softness or sidewall ratings. I know that All Weather tires typically have softer sidewalls. Am I correct in thinking that the Continental DW's will have a softer sidewall (better ride) than the Potenzas but obviously stiffer than the DWS's? I understand the ZHP is a stiffer ride anyway so I don't expect it to ride like a dream. A good happy medium is what I'm striving for.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,

Dom

Last edited by Dom Smith; 03-17-2012 at 09:05 PM.
Dom Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:58 AM   #2
jpsmith394

My Ride: 2003 325i
I just got the Continental DW, it was a tossup for me for performance vs treadlife with the DW vs. DWS, but I went with the DW in the end and I couldn't be happier. I had Yokohama's on the car from when I purchased it and immediately with the DW on the car it was night and day. The Continental DW has great cornering, smooth ride, and extremely quiet. I absolutely love these tires.
jpsmith394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:44 PM   #3
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

My Ride: '99 Techno Violet M3
You live not too far up the coast from me. With the weather we get in SoCal, there really isn't much of a reason to consider the DWS. I've heard good and bad things about the DW, more often than not its positive feedback.

With your location in mind and summer on the way why not consider a more performance oriented tire?

1999 Techno Violet Metallic BMW M3
2005 Audi B6 S4 quattro 6MT
2004 BMW 330i
1986 BMW 535i

Last edited by tock172; 03-22-2012 at 11:47 PM.
tock172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 01:59 PM   #4
Dom Smith

My Ride: '05 330i ZHP
Thanks for the input guys. I may be selling the car soon so I have decided to stick with the performance oriented tire as I'm sure the new owner will appreciate it. Possibly the DW or Michelin Pilot Super Sports.
Dom Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 03:14 PM   #5
VMRWheels
Sponsor

My Ride: 1:25 Scale Enzo
Send a message via AIM to VMRWheels Send a message via Yahoo to VMRWheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom Smith View Post
Thanks for the input guys. I may be selling the car soon so I have decided to stick with the performance oriented tire as I'm sure the new owner will appreciate it. Possibly the DW or Michelin Pilot Super Sports.
Both are solid choices, plenty of customers have gone with Michelin Pilot Super Sports and have been VERY pleased with their choice.

Facebook! | Flickr! | Blog! | Instagram!
New for 2014: V702 Multispoke | V810 Flow Form
VMRWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:32 PM   #6
rkneeshaw

My Ride: 330i ZHP
I posted a review of the DW's on my ZHP not long ago. I'm quite happy. The soft sidewalls do mean there is some sacrifice in steering response compared to a much stiffer sidewall tire like my old dunlop star specs, but the tramlining is finally almost non-existant with the DW's.

rkneeshaw is offline   Reply With Quote