E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-30-2015, 07:41 AM   #1
Rootercycles

My Ride: 2001 325ci
more electronic issues

All,

I have gone through near everything on my wife's 2001 325ci. There are a few remaining problems that I have not figured out and fixed.

The first, is the reverse lights in the trunk lid do not work when in reverse. I have changed the fuse, re-did the wiring harness to the trunk lid, and checked the bulbs. They still do not work. Any guidance on where to check next? I have been told to check the actuator switch that turns on the lights when in gear, but am not sure where that is. I guess it could be under the gear selector in the cab, or on the exterior of the transmission somewhere.

The next is the electric trunk actuator. It does not work. There were many wires cut when I redid the harness to the trunk lid, but they are all connected and isolated. Any clue where to go from here? I thought of looking at the switch itself, but am a little timid on ripping into interior pieces that are expensive to replace.

The third electrical issue this car has is that the fog lights do not work. Both of the bulbs work, and the fuse is intact. Here again I thought that the switch on the dash might be the culprit, but wanted to run this by you guys first.

Any advice welcome!
Rootercycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-30-2015, 08:11 AM   #2
Gunsnbacon
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2001 330ci
Here's the switch that's hooked to the transmission: http://www.bavauto.com/fland.asp?par...qg8BoCPQ3w_wcB

It's a $10 part, no big deal, maybe worth a shot?

Also check your connectors under the shifter surround, there's a few that plug in there but I doubt any of them actually do anything other than operate windows or the light on the auto trans gear indicator because I've had them all unplugged before.

For the fog lights, pull out the LCM (it's that whole switch assembly) and check for bad solder points or a blown capacitor. If the LCM breaks it could be a pricey fix but on a 01, you should be able to recode a used one just fine.

-List of Modifications-
2001 Alpinweiss 330ci ZSP

Last edited by Gunsnbacon; 01-30-2015 at 08:12 AM.
Gunsnbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 10:05 AM   #3
Rootercycles

My Ride: 2001 325ci
Gunsnbacon,

Thanks for the quick response!

The link you sent me says that this is for a manual transmission. Is this the same as the auto? Also, am I able to just loosen the ABS plastic piece around the gear selector, or do I need to remove the entire center console? I am afraid of cracking this very old and brittle ABS, and want to only remove what I have to.

How do I remove the light switch assembly? Don't want to ruin panels and such with a liberal use of a screw driver!

Thanks!
Rootercycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 10:41 AM   #4
Gunsnbacon
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2001 330ci
The LCM pops out when you take off the trim. 80% of the time you will break the plastic clips holding the trim piece on so you might have to order some of those. Take a large screwdriver or something similar and just pry at both sides of the trim panel over the LCM and you will feel it come loose then the panel either has two screws in it or just slides out. There's a large plug that's awkwardly placed on it so don't jerk the unit out of the dash.

For the automatic transmission it should just be done on the gear selector I would assume. The surround pops straight up, just pull it from the boot and then the bracket around comes out with 4 screws. You should only need to pull the boot straight up to check the connections to the shift selector. Also check the relay behind the fuse box to make sure the wires are seated properly in their pins and the pins are flush to the connectors.

As for the trunk actuator it may be the same problem as your reverse lights? maybe the trunk isn't getting sufficient power or ground.

-List of Modifications-
2001 Alpinweiss 330ci ZSP
Gunsnbacon is offline   Reply With Quote