E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-28-2014, 08:38 PM   #1
Gus330vrum

My Ride: 330ci
Left window Shattered.. Damm it

Well damm it. I replaced my driver door actuator and ever since every time I close the door the glass seems loose,today I tried tighten the bolt and while tighten the reversed bolt the ****ing glass shattered and bang broken million pieces all over..

So know I'll be buying a junk yard glass and replacing it with GENUINE GLASS...

Anyone done this before ? Will I need a new regulator?

Gus330vrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:05 PM   #2
Gus330vrum

Okay. Quick search and its suppose to be a easy fix . I just had to air out in asking if someone done it before..

4 e46's later and its my first glass replacement lol
Old 10-28-2014, 09:24 PM   #3
cvx5832

My Ride: 325Ci, 325Cic, C300
Yes you need a new regulator. On the coupes the regulators don't break like the ones on the sedan, but the green "feet" that ride the regulator track often fall out and you get that loose feeling when indeed it is not. Check out ECS Tuning's pictures to see what I'm talking about.

TIS torque for the window clamps is 8N-m, or about 6ft-lbs. That's hand tight, if that.

cvx5832 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 10:08 PM   #4
Gus330vrum

Wait what.. I don't get it..

So I need a new regular because you assume that green thingy feel off after the glass shattered?
Attached Images

Old 10-28-2014, 10:13 PM   #5
cvx5832

You said you tightened it because the "glass seems loose". That loose feeling is the regulator losing its feet, never the clamp otherwise it wouldn't roll down.

It comes loose because unlike the sedan, the pane on the coupes and convertibles are cantilevered.

Old 10-28-2014, 10:21 PM   #6
Gus330vrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvx5832 View Post
You said you tightened it because the "glass seems loose". That loose feeling is the regulator losing its feet, never the clamp otherwise it wouldn't roll down.

It comes loose because unlike the sedan, the pane on the coupes and convertibles are cantilevered.
Yes when I shut the door while the window is fully up but when the glass window is half way or fully down there is no loose feeling..

I was tighten it while kind holding the window inward due to when I fully closed the window it wouldn't sit flush behind the shadowline trim as if it was out of place creating a gap between the rubber and glass.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:53 PM   #7
cvx5832

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus330vrum View Post
Yes when I shut the door while the window is fully up but when the glass window is half way or fully down there is no loose feeling..

I was tighten it while kind holding the window inward due to when I fully closed the window it wouldn't sit flush behind the shadowline trim as if it was out of place creating a gap between the rubber and glass.
You don't tighten that bolt to change the angle of the glass, no matter how much you hold it inward. You turn the eccentric bolt, which drives up the wedge, which changes the angle of the glass.

Read up on jjrichar's coupe regulator tear down if you want to know how it all comes together.

Old Yesterday, 05:30 AM   #8
Gus330vrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvx5832 View Post
You don't tighten that bolt to change the angle of the glass, no matter how much you hold it inward. You turn the eccentric bolt, which drives up the wedge, which changes the angle of the glass.

Read up on jjrichar's coupe regulator tear down if you want to know how it all comes together.
Thanks...:beer:
Old Yesterday, 02:01 PM   #9
Gus330vrum

Picked up a genuine window for $25 at pull & save yard .

Lesson learned. Don't over tightens then freaking bolt while pushing it inward.

Installing it now.