E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-03-2014, 12:20 AM   #1
AustinTurner

My Ride: 2003 bmw m3
Questions about the m3 smg

So I have owned a 2003 m3 for 2 weeks. It has a smg trans that has been working flawlessly, but for the past two days it has been going into nuetural at red lights/ stop and go traffic. This worried me, but after some reaserch and testing I am 90% sure that it is the HVU temp sensor, no problem. Now what I wanted to ask is, has anybody ripped a failed pump apart to see what went wrong? It seems to me that they have trouble around 80,000 miles. If( or more likely when) my pump fails I might try to add more cooling and filtration on the new one to see if it has more longevity. Has anybody attempted this? Also it seems to me that bmw should have caught the problem after the first or second year of using this smg model, but I guess not. I have some experience with hydraulic pumps on heavy machinery( farmer) and they typically have a much longer life, I would expect a bmw to be built better than my freaking tractor. Anyway all constructive answers are highly appreciated!

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-03-2014, 12:38 AM   #2
Cavi Mike
Banned User

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
Send a message via AIM to Cavi Mike Send a message via MSN to Cavi Mike Send a message via Yahoo to Cavi Mike
Most likely the pump on this is a vane pump. They're quieter than the gear pumps on your tractors but they're obviously not as robust.
Cavi Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 12:40 AM   #3
Cavi Mike
Banned User

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
Send a message via AIM to Cavi Mike Send a message via MSN to Cavi Mike Send a message via Yahoo to Cavi Mike
Oh and you should prolly ask this in the M3 subforum.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65
Cavi Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 10:43 AM   #4
jcns

My Ride: California
How much does your tractor pump weigh?
It's a M3 and that's why they did not want to fit in a 30+lb pump.
jcns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 12:08 PM   #5
Hobohunter

My Ride: 2003 325Ci
In case you haven't looked into it, the hood not being fully closed or hood sensor(s) not sensing the hood fully closed will cause the SMG to go to neutral if stopped for more than a few seconds.
This happened to me within the first week of getting the 02 M3 SMG I used to have. It also causes the gear selected indicator to flash the whole time you are driving.
Hobohunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 03:43 PM   #6
AustinTurner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcns View Post
How much does your tractor pump weigh?
It's a M3 and that's why they did not want to fit in a 30+lb pump.
I would agree. Except for the fact that the amount of pressure and stress on my tractors pump is MUCH greater hence the size. I'm guessing that the smg's pump is proportionate to the amount of work it is required to do. bmw engineers aren't stupid.
Old 06-03-2014, 03:48 PM   #7
AustinTurner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavi Mike View Post
Most likely the pump on this is a vane pump. They're quieter than the gear pumps on your tractors but they're obviously not as robust.
The truck I use to haul my grain uses vane pumps. I have never needed to repair one because(IMO) they are much more efficient(like 35%) leading to longer life's due to less work.