E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 91 votes, 4.57 average. Display Modes
Old 05-23-2012, 04:50 PM   #21
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmr2wil View Post
Nicely done.

One question: you mention that most cars use the fuel filter with integrated FPR, I though this was a switch made with the change to the M54?

As I haven't pulled my filter yet (but plan to soon), I am not sure which type I have. I guess I will double check before ordering. Thanks!

Luke
Thanks. I'm pretty sure you have the regulator built in. Look for the F-connector on your upper intake boot.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:52 PM   #22
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
this is NON-M3 E46 info
I changed the title. Thanks. I'm not too familiar with M. If you want to make an M section, I'll copy paste it at the end for Ms.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 05-23-2012, 06:04 PM   #23
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
Mango,

I've got to register a complaint with your comment "it's fine to put in 8 qts."

I've always said here, based on what I've read (a lot) that it's better to be a quart low than over a 1/4 quart high...which is the top of the top notch.

The capacity is 6.9 quarts, so 7 is fine. 7.9 is capacity for an Xi I believe, so 8 qts. is fine there.

But 6.9 qts. or 6.5 L is capacity for most e46s and I think if you're going to recommend a proper amount, you should just do so. Don't make someone reading think the capacities are just suggestions.

If you edit, let me know and I'll turn this post into a glowing review!
DMAX, it's been common practice for at least a decade for track guys to overfill by one quart on M5X and S5x engines to alleviate lifter tick during extended high-rpm operation. It's not instruction to overfill by one quart but is just an OK especially should someone decide to track their car. I overfill by a quart all the time. I know of no ill effects this has. I would get lifter tick during some extended spirited driving.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS

Last edited by Mango; 05-23-2012 at 06:05 PM.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:04 PM   #24
crazzy88ss

My Ride: 05 330 ZHP auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by eneka View Post
iirc, there is no cheap way in preventative maintenance for the fuel system in the m56, even the fuel filter.
Correct; original post needs an update.
crazzy88ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:07 PM   #25
TRIPLE_O

My Ride: E46 Coupe
So I just bought an E46....haha, these threads will still pop up. Great write up though.

3 Series Owners Manuals
http://www.bmwsections.com/docs/3series/

For Sale (Exterior Lights)

..sincerely Jenny
TRIPLE_O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:10 PM   #26
Mango
A full five stars, son

Yep. I was getting PMs every other time I logged into E46F so I decided this would be a good idea. Took about 2.5 hours to gather all the info.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 05-23-2012, 07:21 PM   #27
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
On the oil level. I'm not surprised it's a common practice for those who are on the track, especially if their car burns oil as many of ours do.

But, I have to say that I'd been running 5/8th quart low for about 4 years...also with M1 5/30 (what did I know?). I did this, some might recall, because I had the wrong dipstick.

When I corrected my mistakes, my mpgs went down about 1 mpg. It was noticeable. So, one downside of overfilling is worse mpgs.

Also, I drive in a spirited manner quite often...I'm doing okay.

But, I've also heard that oil being too high can get frothed up...maybe clog ccv more readily...so I really don't think there's any need in conventional driving with occasional track use, to just fill to capacity.

Although racers may be using this practice, according to the Owner's Manual, our cars take 6.5L...unless Xi or M.

Just saying. Anyway, gotta run....have to prep my car for my upcoming drag race! :shhhh:

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:29 PM   #28
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
On the oil level. I'm not surprised it's a common practice for those who are on the track, especially if their car burns oil as many of ours do.

But, I have to say that I'd been running 5/8th quart low for about 4 years...also with M1 5/30 (what did I know?). I did this, some might recall, because I had the wrong dipstick.

When I corrected my mistakes, my mpgs went down about 1 mpg. It was noticeable. So, one downside of overfilling is worse mpgs.

Also, I drive in a spirited manner quite often...I'm doing okay.

But, I've also heard that oil being too high can get frothed up...maybe clog ccv more readily...so I really don't think there's any need in conventional driving with occasional track use, to just fill to capacity.

Although racers may be using this practice, according to the Owner's Manual, our cars take 6.5L...unless Xi or M.

Just saying. Anyway, gotta run....have to prep my car for my upcoming drag race! :shhhh:
The practice of over-filling by one quart has nothing to do with oil consumption. One does not cause or relate to the other. It's simply to eliminate or alleviate lifter tick. If you've never experienced lifter tick in these cars, you aren't driving hard enough.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 05-23-2012, 07:30 PM   #29
JohnIBarr01

My Ride: ZHP 6MT, Mk.6, Jeep
Great thread.
Let me guess: This doesn't happen in Germany
JohnIBarr01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:31 PM   #30
Zell

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
http://germanautosolutions.com/BMW_Solutions.html

Seriously, that link you provided is extremely promising. I am very, very excited about all of their upcoming products. I will do the DISA valve one right along with my DME upgrade I think.
Zell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:43 PM   #31
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
The practice of over-filling by one quart has nothing to do with oil consumption. One does not cause or relate to the other. It's simply to eliminate or alleviate lifter tick. If you've never experienced lifter tick in these cars, you aren't driving hard enough.
mpgs, not oil consumption. I'm saying if you add oil, you'll lower your mpgs. That said, I was using M1 5/30 before, so that probably contributed to the better 'gas' consumption I was having...even though it was the wrong oil.

This is the first time I've heard of adding extra oil for lifter tick...didn't know you were doing that. Almost every thread I've read on it usually suggests an oil on the thicker side of our allowed spectrum of oil...something like a nice 5/40

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:21 PM   #32
trive2

My Ride: 1989 BMW 535i
The engine will just burn off oil faster if it's overfilled. I somehow managed to put 8L of oil in mine (BMW dipsticks are stupid things.... but I guess so am I) and it just burnt most of it off soon enough, then slowed when it got to a sensible level. In doing this though... I have been warned before to agree with Dmax in that over filling is not good for it. Never bothered finding out why. I was just lazy...

Also, Dex III supersedes Dex I (whale oil hahaha) and Dex II/D. HOWEVER there are strong suggestions from those in the know that Dex VI is not a straight-forward replacement for every application of Dex III like the latter-mentioned had been for previous numbers. This is said to be due to the fact that Dex VI has a lower viscosity (although I'm sure there's more to it than that) and is designed specifically with later cars for better efficiency.

Given the licenses are expired, you can get Dex III from a number of suppliers now so you should be fine to use that.

Last edited by trive2; 05-23-2012 at 08:22 PM.
trive2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:49 PM   #33
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
mpgs, not oil consumption. I'm saying if you add oil, you'll lower your mpgs. That said, I was using M1 5/30 before, so that probably contributed to the better 'gas' consumption I was having...even though it was the wrong oil.

This is the first time I've heard of adding extra oil for lifter tick...didn't know you were doing that. Almost every thread I've read on it usually suggests an oil on the thicker side of our allowed spectrum of oil...something like a nice 5/40
http://www.vorshlag.com/forums/showthread.php?p=56916

This guy even puts +1.5qts.

The oil level rises maybe 2-3mm with an extra quart. Not sure how that translates into a decrease in MPG. It is true excess oil can get flung by the crank journals and cause cavitation, but we're talking a slight increase in level here. And again on MPG..you can +/- 1mpg on any given day. Anyway it's perfectly fine and not worth discussion. Just FYI

OVER A MILLION VIEWS

Last edited by Mango; 05-23-2012 at 08:52 PM.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:53 PM   #34
jojo12

My Ride: 330xi
what about belts? maybe even pulleys? on the other hand, belts wouldn't need to be replaced if visually inspected and found to be in good shape.
jojo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:56 PM   #35
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo12 View Post
what about belts? maybe even pulleys? on the other hand, belts wouldn't need to be replaced if visually inspected and found to be in good shape.
That's covered when you do the cooling system. Which is at the end of this checklist.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 05-23-2012, 08:59 PM   #36
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

My Ride: '99 Techno Violet M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
If you've never experienced lifter tick in these cars, you aren't driving hard enough.
Amen brother!

In addition to the common over-fill by one quart remedy, I have also successfully used another method which involves holding the revs at 4000 for 30 seconds or so followed by driving for a half a mile or so to eliminate the lifter tick. Worked well although the process is a bit unnerving.

Anyway, great thread. Clear and concise. Just the way it should be.

1999 Techno Violet Metallic BMW M3
2005 Audi B6 S4 quattro 6MT
2004 BMW 330i
1986 BMW 535i

tock172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:04 PM   #37
Mango
A full five stars, son

Thanks, man! And glad you agree on the lifter tick. First time I experienced that in my M3 I thought I blew my engine. Turns out I just needed to wait a while or add more oil. I guess the lifters get starved sometimes during cornering + high RPMs.

I'll be participating in AutoX within the next month or so and I'll be sure to bring extra oil to overfill.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 05-23-2012, 09:13 PM   #38
Blocked Out

My Ride: Imola 330i M-Sport
I respect your dedication trying to guide people in the right direction.

Eventhou some of the points are very controversial , its a very good chart for new owners.

====>>> E46 Coupe Airbags
IMG_1725
Blocked Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:13 PM   #39
illestminimike

My Ride: Project Drama
Great job mango.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:15 PM   #40
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

My Ride: '99 Techno Violet M3
It happens to me right around my 5th or 6th run every time I autocross. I always have a spare quart with me when I drive around, but when I autocross I try to remember to bring one specifically for the lifter tick. I almost don't mind hearing it because it means I'm having a great day actually pushing my car and my own driving limits.

1999 Techno Violet Metallic BMW M3
2005 Audi B6 S4 quattro 6MT
2004 BMW 330i
1986 BMW 535i

tock172 is offline   Reply With Quote