E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 89 votes, 4.56 average. Display Modes
Old 05-25-2012, 12:15 AM   #61
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
Oh, that reminds me...forgot to mention this.

You can clean a PS reservoir screen, and honestly, I think you'd have to have had espresso ps fluid and seriously decaying hoses to really clog it...but it can be cleaned despite the legend I've read here and passed along. Someone says something believable sounding, written in proper English, and it gets passed along.

Anyway, remove PS reservoir from it's hoses, remove phillips head screw at the bottom of the reservoir, take screw out, take reservoir to a utility sink and rinse out to your heart's content with soap and warm water. Let dry, attach screen back. You can't take the screen out, but you can clean it while it's inside. It will just roll inside sort of. It's a 2" high 'puck.'

Replace gasket on cap, replace hose clamps after maybe trimming 1/2" off each hose. Done
New reservoir is between $14 and $18. Also comes with a new cap and seal. It can be cleaned, but for less than $20, a new one is nice and convenient.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:19 AM   #62
Ballistic325

My Ride: slow and steady
Quote:
Oh, that reminds me...forgot to mention this.

You can clean a PS reservoir screen, and honestly, I think you'd have to have had espresso ps fluid and seriously decaying hoses to really clog it...but it can be cleaned despite the legend I've read here and passed along. Someone says something believable sounding, written in proper English, and it gets passed along.

Anyway, remove PS reservoir from it's hoses, remove phillips head screw at the bottom of the reservoir, take screw out, take reservoir to a utility sink and rinse out to your heart's content with soap and warm water. Let dry, attach screen back. You can't take the screen out, but you can clean it while it's inside. It will just roll inside sort of. It's a 2" high 'puck.'

Replace gasket on cap, replace hose clamps after maybe trimming 1/2" off each hose. Done
Ehhxcellent... thanks dmax. I always wondered if it would be possible to clean.

I can help with
* Reading Codes / Coding your car
* R&R FCAs, Tie Rods, Sway links....
* RTABs

Need an RTAB tool? Or clutch fan and water pump tools? PM me.
Ballistic325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:21 AM   #63
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballistic325 View Post
Ehhxcellent... thanks dmax. I always wondered if it would be possible to clean.
Beware, my buddy tried cleaning his and the screw was impossibly tight and he ended up snapping the plastic filter disc. it shattered due to being so old and brittle.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 05-25-2012, 12:24 AM   #64
RocaSV

My Ride: BMW 323i 2000
if helpful for someone, i found this video on youtube, you can take it as reference to clean the throttle body

RocaSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 05:18 PM   #65
eclipsor

My Ride: stahlblau
Send a message via AIM to eclipsor
can someone clear up the whole "if you change your ATF, your transmission will fail because it is held together by sludge" myth thing?

im scared :[

Jet Black 1994 325is -> Steelblue 2003 325i
eclipsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 05:20 PM   #66
RocaSV

My Ride: BMW 323i 2000
hahahahahahaha nice myth!
RocaSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 05:22 PM   #67
Mango
A full five stars, son

Yes. I can clear it up. That's a barnyard theory backed by barnyard mechanics. Do not be scared. Which leads me to the famous verse...

"Fear not the replacement of your automatic transmission fluid and filter for it is thy will and thy recommendation of the manufacturer."
-Mango 13:14, New Testament - Bavarian Brothers BMW Club

Replace it, Eclipsor. Nice meeting you at Bimmerfest, too. Didn't know you were in 818. Where at? We have to get together with LiquidDawn and crash some meets.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 05-25-2012, 05:23 PM   #68
eclipsor

what i'm referring to:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=595553

Old 05-25-2012, 05:27 PM   #69
eclipsor

I'm in Granada Hills, and me an liquiddawn have crashed a few already, where have you been?

Old 05-25-2012, 05:31 PM   #70
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipsor View Post
I'm in Granada Hills, and me an liquiddawn have crashed a few already, where have you been?
I used to attend meets galore 10 years ago then I dropped out. Just got burnt out. Another part of it as I haven't really had the time. But I do now. So next time you guys go, tell liquid to PM or call me and I'll rush out with a box full of fruits.

Take your car to Bjorn. He'll tune your auto trans right up while blindfolded. Ask Liquid who he is.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 05-25-2012, 06:06 PM   #71
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Bible verses now? Just in case it comes up, I started my religion before you did yours! And I bet you don't have a bmw shrine like mine!

Oh, and I'd never let anyone named Bjorn touch my car!
Nope. Not the bible. It's the Bavarian Brotherhood Chronicles AKA BBC. Don't get it twisted, brother. And Bjorn was born in Sweden and is a triple-platinum ASE certified and Bosch-certified. He serviced my friend's wife's automatic 330i and her transmission is running supremely, especially after my software updates. He has all the BMW torque specs written down on his finger and he's never even heard of an impact gun. Go figure.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 05-25-2012, 06:36 PM   #72
eclipsor

Can I ask a quick question, how do you tell whether you need to replace your window regulator, or motor, or both?

for my front passenger window, the window works, but it goes up pretty slow and pops a few times, i searched and found out that this mostly means I need a new regulator

as for my back windows, they havent worked at all since i got the car, no movement or sound whatsoever. does this mean they need new motors?

are regulators and motors supposed to be changed at the same time?

thanks, i want to have working windows before my trip to EDC in Vegas ahaha

Old 05-25-2012, 07:01 PM   #73
AUSS1E

My Ride: a Gulfstream
How about adding capacities for MTF and PS fluid?

Then I wouldnt have to do anything other than copy and paste

2004 330i ZHP
AUSS1E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:20 PM   #74
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipsor View Post
Can I ask a quick question, how do you tell whether you need to replace your window regulator, or motor, or both?

for my front passenger window, the window works, but it goes up pretty slow and pops a few times, i searched and found out that this mostly means I need a new regulator

as for my back windows, they havent worked at all since i got the car, no movement or sound whatsoever. does this mean they need new motors?

are regulators and motors supposed to be changed at the same time?

thanks, i want to have working windows before my trip to EDC in Vegas ahaha
Your regulators are shot. All four need replacing. I'll add this to the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUSS1E View Post
How about adding capacities for MTF and PS fluid?

Then I wouldnt have to do anything other than copy and paste
You fill both 'til they're full. If you're simply evacuating the reservoir, one quart is enough. If doing the whole system, buy two. As far as MTF, two litres should cover it.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 05-25-2012, 07:22 PM   #75
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Your motor in the window sounds like it's fine.

Also, 3M window weld roll is the stuff used to seal the vapor barrier. One $12 roll should be enough for all your doors...and it's also good for holding nuts and bolts into a socket in a difficult to get spot...like ccv.

Just get the regulator. Use the marks from the original nuts to position the new regulator. If it turns out you don't need it once you open the door up, just return it unopened.

Read a few of the diys...buy some extra door clips...get 10...you'll need them eventually...and you'll need a ziptie or two to effect a repair or to hold the cable down.

Disconnect battery for 5 mins. before if you have an airbag in the door you're working on...and don't forget to position the window so you can get to the clips through the regulator. (You'll figure out what that means soon enough!)

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:37 PM   #76
dmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
Your regulators are shot. All four need replacing. I'll add this to the list.

You fill both 'til they're full. If you're simply evacuating the reservoir, one quart is enough. If doing the whole system, buy two. As far as MTF, two litres should cover it.

You must keep your ambers. At the first sign of trouble with your aftermarket lights, any one, any where, you must replace all your lights...every housing, socket, bulb, wiring harness, fuses and relays. Don't think about it, just do it.

Preserve your sanity by not worrying so much about replacing everything...but do enjoy low hanging fruit whenever you can!

Buy Bentley...keep it by your nightstand

Never be seen polishing your wheels in public...that's a private thing that should be kept in your garage.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com

Last edited by dmax; 05-25-2012 at 08:04 PM.
Old 05-25-2012, 07:44 PM   #77
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
I'm so glad you picked up on this. Was afraid no one would mention it!

You should also, while you're at it, replace all the trim pieces in the car, as they'll eventually crack anyway.

I haven't re-read the original post, but I'm sure Mango was thorough and remembered some other must do things:

Replace your entire interior with leather...for the ladies.

Replace every single bulb in your car so you're starting with a clean slate--only OE bulbs will do.

Re-tinting, every 2-4 months. Don't argue; just do it!

Oh, replace your windshield, it looks horrible, or every 2 years (being generous here!)

You must also buy new headlight lens covers.

You must keep your ambers. At the first sign of trouble with your aftermarket lights, any one, any where, you must replace all your lights...every housing, socket, bulb, wiring harness, fuses and relays. Don't think about it, just do it.

You have to preserve the chrome...magic eraser. Don't spray it; sand it with fine grit sandpaper...embrace it, live it, lick it (HCl is good)

Preserve your rubber pieces with gummi pflege

Preserve your sanity by not worrying so much about replacing everything...but do enjoy low hanging fruit whenever you can!

Coolant flush 3-4 years.

Buy Bentley...keep it by your nightstand

Face Munich at night in your shrine to bmw. Pour LL-01 into a small vial, dip your finger in it, form a roundel on your upper arm and ignite it.

Replace your cabin air filter every 2 weeks, Oil at above 10K miles, coz that's what I do, and windshield wiper inserts on a Tuesday.

Do not wax your car on a saturday or sunday. Wednesdays are great nights to ask your lady to join you in a little under the car fluids' swap.

Never be seen polishing your wheels in public...that's a private thing that should be kept in your garage.
I like you, Dmax, but a little unncessary. Please keep this thread focused as its a "help" thread.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 05-25-2012, 07:52 PM   #78
dmax

I included many helpful tips in that post, you know, but needed to comment on the prophylactic replacement of window regulators, because I think people here might think that's actually a good idea. My driver's window regulator went out at over 180K miles...and original regulator.

Please tell me you were kidding about the regulators...which is why I kidded back!

I don't doubt you help many behind the scenes as do I...

A recent set

Old 05-25-2012, 09:01 PM   #79
Mango
A full five stars, son

He said his front windows are popping and the rears dont work at all. He needs four new regulators. No two ways about it.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 05-25-2012, 09:17 PM   #80
dmax

I missed that part...just checked.

He has one front window that needs a regulator, and we don't know about the rear ones...it could be the 'child safety button' is pressed down...could be bad...and it could be two motors and two regulators back there.

He should start with the simple things first...like press that button.

A recent set