E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 94 votes, 4.59 average. Display Modes
Old 05-25-2012, 09:59 PM   #81
eclipsor

My Ride: stahlblau
Send a message via AIM to eclipsor
The button has been pressed, I'm not THAT stupid ahaha

Jet Black 1994 325is -> Steelblue 2003 325i
eclipsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:02 PM   #82
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
He said his front windows are popping and the rears dont work at all. He needs four new regulators. No two ways about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
I missed that part...just checked.

He has one front window that needs a regulator, and we don't know about the rear ones...it could be the 'child safety button' is pressed down...could be bad...and it could be two motors and two regulators back there.

He should start with the simple things first...like press that button.

Dmax. I think you owe me an apology. You flamed me on at least two threads accusing me of teasing and deliberately giving bad advice. It was you that wasn't reading correctly.

Eclipsor, let me know when you're ready and if you need help, I'll help you pop those suckers in or at least give you some guidance. $55 a corner at BMAparts.com. URO parts brand.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:02 PM   #83
eclipsor

But when I press the window lock button, the rear window buttons from the center console, and from the back door panels, no movement or sound at all

Even tried the child lock things that are on the doors

Old 05-25-2012, 10:04 PM   #84
eclipsor

Forsure thanks, I'll try to get the regulators and clips ASAP

I'm driving a bunch of potheads to Vegas in 2 weeks and I don't want my car to be hotboxed -_- ahaha

Old 05-25-2012, 10:05 PM   #85
Mango
A full five stars, son

It could be that the regulators are such in a state of failure that they've jammed the motor. I never heard of a switch or motor going bad in these cars. No sound at all? No click? Check fuses? (not sure of windows are on a fuse)

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 05-25-2012, 10:18 PM   #86
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Windows have a fuse...if you're lucky, maybe just one for the rears, but doubtful. Oh, also, switches do go bad...sometimes people pour coke in them!

Try swapping the front pass switch for the rear switch...they can go bad...not often, but they do..again, especially if someone pours something into them! Try electric cleaner for grins.

Check for power going to the motor if you get inside the rear doors to fix this.

Mango, I'll apologize since you think I owe you one. And I might be mistaken that you suggest economical solutions...I don't read every thread...but I see you recommend the cooling overhaul quite regularly. I don't think that's bad advice at all...just advice all can't afford...especially if they're not diying.

Anyway, apology proffered and hopefully accepted!

Night!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com

Last edited by dmax; 05-25-2012 at 10:22 PM.
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:19 PM   #87
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
He said his front windows are popping and the rears dont work at all. He needs four new regulators. No two ways about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
Windows have a fuse...if you're lucky, maybe just one for the rears, but doubtful.

Mango, I'll apologize since you think I owe you one. And I might be mistaken that you suggest economical solutions...I don't read every thread...but I see you recommend the cooling overhaul quite regularly. I don't think that's bad advice at all...just advice all can't afford...especially if they're not diying.

Anyway, apology proffered and hopefully accepted!

Night!
It's OK. I love you.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 05-25-2012, 10:31 PM   #88
eneka

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipsor View Post
Forsure thanks, I'll try to get the regulators and clips ASAP

I'm driving a bunch of potheads to Vegas in 2 weeks and I don't want my car to be hotboxed -_- ahaha
you might be lucky if the po just unplugged the motors, I had mine unplugged I got the time to install new regulators. I didn't want the passengers to accidentally roll down the windows.

When I did the regulators the little screw covers (right under the armrest) were all brittle and broke when I tried to remove it.
Old 05-26-2012, 01:42 AM   #89
eclipsor

I think I'll go with the URO brand like you said, it also seems like the site is having a memorial day sale, so I'll prob order it then.

where in the valley are you? woodland hills? (seems like every fanatic i meet lives in woodland hills lmao)

Old 05-26-2012, 01:19 PM   #90
Blocked Out

My Ride: Imola 330i M-Sport
Quote:
Everything is hand-written. At no point did I copy-paste anything. I took the time to research every single part of this and reflected it as best I could--the transmission specs took me an hour alone to dig up and verify.
I didnt literally mean that you copied something, I meant that you simply retyped what BMW recommends for oil and some other cervices. I know that you were the one who physically typed it

Quote:
Where did I recommend that? With all due respect, please stop putting words in my mouth. It's not a recommendation, just information to those it would apply to. If you've never heard of adding an extra quart, you really haven't been around BMW circles. Go read M3F or Bf.c, adding an extra quart is EXTREMELY common knowledge. Surprised you've never heard of this. I think anybody with a brain will read the tidbit where I explain it's useful if you track your car or experience lifter tick during spirited situations. And no, adding an extra quart will not cause damage. Vorshlag runs an extra 1.5 quart in their track/race vehicle.
You should keep in mind that when you write anything apart from BMW recommendations it becomes your recommendation. A new owner reading this may understand it different that you intended to say . Basically when you make a thread like this "a how to care for your car" or such ,anything that you write outside of BMWs recommendations becomes your own recommendation , I mean you wrote it and not anybody else.

There are alot of people in this world and if they choose overfill their car by a quart or even 4 quarts its fine ,but I have my own idea about it and I will never recommend this to anyone because this is not a recommendation that anyone really needs, especially new owners.

Overfilling engine with oil will increase oil pressure . More oil = more pressure. Higher then normal oil pressure is bad for seals and affects the crank.

Most likely Vorshlag's race car has a bigger oil pan suitable for the amount of oil they use in a race car with addition of big oil cooler . Who cares what they do and have, they can have double oil coolers and a 9 quart pan , in which case they would be filling with 10.5 quarts. That Vorshlag info is absolutely irrelevant Call them and ask. [

B]No sane person is going to overfill an engine by 1.5 quarts unless the engine is build for it. [/B]

Quote:
BMW also recommends lifetime fluid on major drivetrain components. And your point is? I think I listed 80,000 miles. Definitely not "too short."
They only have 2 lifetime oils, tranny and diff. I see absolutely no problem with it apart from maybe the auto trans shouldnt be lifetime. But in all seriousness, The oil in our diff will outlast any BMW so I see absolutely nothing wrong with that at all.

100k miles for plugs is fine, any shorter and all you're doing is wasting money. You said 60k, I say its a waste of money. At that rate might as well replace brakes when they're half worn and wash the car right after it dries because its already dusty

Quote:
Again, where did I recommend Redline? I listed the specified OE/OEM fluids in supreme detail then I simply listed what I use. Is that so wrong? Further, Royal Purple is trash. If you want, I can link the recent documents proving its trash along with horror threads from M3F. Look at the recent Royal Purple thread and see the info I linked.

I've never steered anybody wrong and never experienced a check engine light. I think my information is solid.
The fact that you never had a CEL light up means absolutely nothing. What did you try to mean by that ?

Look at it this way, when you say that BMW recommends one type of oil in your trans and right away you say that YOU use another oil, ANYONE who reads it will think "F that, if he uses it then I should try it too, F bmw recommendation" . Come on, dont you understand what I mean ?

Are you talking about a recent thread with the retard that drove his car without the oil filter cap? No thanks There will always be idiots who have problems with certain products , be it on M3 forum or anywhere else. If I followed everyones bad experiences from the internet , I wouldnt even drive my car .
Royal Purple is not trash, you look ignorant saying that. Its an extremely good line of lubricants. I use Synchromax in my trans and people that I hang out with also use Sychromax. And yes, I;ve tried Redline in my trans .... dont like it. Like I said before , my personal opinion is that Redline belongs in your diff, thats what I have in mine, and the trans should see nothing but Sychromax . But thats just my opinion and if I were to make a thread like yours , I'd list ALL types of oils for trans, diff, and engine and not just what you personally use.

====>>> E46 Coupe Airbags
IMG_1725

Last edited by Blocked Out; 05-26-2012 at 01:23 PM.
Blocked Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 01:26 PM   #91
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blocked Out View Post
Royal Purple is not trash, you look ignorant saying that. Its an extremely good line of lubricants. I use Synchromax in my trans and people that I hang out with also use Sychromax. And yes, I;ve tried Redline in my trans .... dont like it. Like I said before , my personal opinion is that Redline belongs in your diff, thats what I have in mine, and the trans should see nothing but Sychromax . But thats just my opinion and if I were to make a thread like yours , I'd list ALL types of oils for trans, diff, and engine and not just what you personally use.
I've got to disagree with you there. I tried Synchromax in my 330, and the gearbox felt really bad after 10kish miles. All the gears were notchier than before the oil change, 2nd gear would bind pretty frequently, and when I drained it, there were far more brass shavings than I was comfortable with. Of all the different transmission oils I tried, I liked GM's "Synchromesh" (without the friction modifier) the best. The car shifted smoothly, but wasn't excessively loose, it had a wide temperature tolerance, and the feel did not noticeably degrade in the 40k miles that I ran it. I know using a GM fluid is a tough pill to swallow for most, so I usually just recommend the OE MTF-LT2 (which is what I'm running in the M3 for now, but I'm willing to experiment).
Old 05-26-2012, 01:45 PM   #92
Blocked Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
I've got to disagree with you there. I tried Synchromax in my 330, and the gearbox felt really bad after 10kish miles. All the gears were notchier than before the oil change, 2nd gear would bind pretty frequently, and when I drained it, there were far more brass shavings than I was comfortable with. Of all the different transmission oils I tried, I liked GM's "Synchromesh" (without the friction modifier) the best. The car shifted smoothly, but wasn't excessively loose, it had a wide temperature tolerance, and the feel did not noticeably degrade in the 40k miles that I ran it. I know using a GM fluid is a tough pill to swallow for most, so I usually just recommend the OE MTF-LT2 (which is what I'm running in the M3 for now, but I'm willing to experiment).
I havent experienced any of that in my car, thats all I can say. I changed tranny fluid to RP in my old BMW and had it there for about 8k miles before I sold it and my current one has as well.

Coming up on 35k miles ( almost 2 years )on RP Synchromax in my car and I wouldnt hesitate to use it again. WIll most likely change it in a month as Im nearing 40k miles on same fill. I will use RP again without a doubt.

IMG_1725
Old 05-26-2012, 04:39 PM   #93
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Last I heard, our lifetime fluids in trans and diff have a 100K mile recommendation...and you can get OE fluids. Be nice to the retails parts salesperson, be patient with everyone, have empty bottles, and pay the man. If they don't have 5L bottles of trans fluid, just ask for 2 for the trans, and 1 or two for your diff depending on what yours takes.

And, as far as some guys liking some and not liking others, I wonder if part of this isn't an effect of just changing fluids. If one is releasing more crud up as Terra said, then it might be just from the new fluid's additives. I wonder if after a trans or diff change, if you did it again with the fluid you didn't like, whether you'd like that fluid more?

Anyway, I used RL in both trans and diff and noticed a difference and I can't say why exactly, but after a year of living in guilt, I went to dealer and got the holy fluids from them. Just got new diff fluid and the loctite sealant, that even the dealer doesn't use on diff--it uses permatex gray (probably 'ultra gray').

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:32 PM   #94
eclipsor

Hey Mango, I just ordered 3 regulators, would you actually be able to help me put them in? I am actually very mechanically deficient :/ would you be free this sunday?

Old 05-30-2012, 02:22 AM   #95
eclipsor

hello?

Old 05-30-2012, 10:30 AM   #96
Mango
A full five stars, son

Yes I can probably help you. As long as we can do the repair at your place (where is it again?) and if you have all the door panels off before I get there. Let me PM you for sure though cause I have quite a few things to do this weekend. PM me your # as well

Here's an idea on how to get started. This procedure should be fairly fast.

front: http://www.skene.org/bmw/window/index.html

Rear: http://www.bmwgm5.com/Rear_Window_Regulator.htm

@ Blocked out: http://www.sinwal.com/data/The%20Stu...ar%20Lubes.pdf

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 05-30-2012, 10:35 AM   #97
Mango
A full five stars, son

And no, blocked. Multitudes of E36 and E46 owners (with the exception of E46 Ms) run an extra quart in their cars with stock engines/oil pans. It's not going to hurt it. It's a practice thats been going on for nearly two decades. Extremely common and talked about everywhere and anywhere in BMW circles. Not going to hurt anything. I'd imagine even two quarts is safe. The oil pan is so large you're not really raising the level by adding a quart. Not going to argue this. Read the track section of bimmerforums or m3forum. all day every day +1 quart.

Personally I'm running the correct 7 quarts. I only overfill when I know I'll be driving hard.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS

Last edited by Mango; 05-30-2012 at 10:36 AM.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:16 PM   #98
eclipsor

Ok I think I'm gonna try to get started on it this friday before I have work at 5. That way If I'm still have any trouble I can just meet up with you on Sat or Sunday so that I dont waste your time :p

and I live on chatsworth and woodley

and "E46Mango has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her."

Old 05-30-2012, 12:30 PM   #99
Mango
A full five stars, son

Ok I'll clear out my inbox and try again in a sec?

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 05-30-2012, 08:56 PM   #100
Blocked Out

Quote:
And no, blocked. Multitudes of E36 and E46 owners (with the exception of E46 Ms) run an extra quart in their cars with stock engines/oil pans. It's not going to hurt it. It's a practice thats been going on for nearly two decades. Extremely common and talked about everywhere and anywhere in BMW circles. Not going to hurt anything. I'd imagine even two quarts is safe. The oil pan is so large you're not really raising the level by adding a quart. Not going to argue this. Read the track section of bimmerforums or m3forum. all day every day +1 quart.

Personally I'm running the correct 7 quarts. I only overfill when I know I'll be driving hard.
Mango, I'll repeat myself again. If someone does something on some forum , it doesnt mean that thats how it should be. You can overfill your engine by 5 quarts for all I care .

I stand by my words, overfilling a stock engine by 1 quart or more is doing to damage it. If you would like to know how , I'd be glad to explain it but you said you dont wish to argue so you can go and put 7 more quarts in your motor .

Bimmerforums or M forum track section is a fvcking joke , thats what it is. Most people over there are home made racers with about 300k miles on their car. I stopped reading all that crap a while ago .

How do you or those "track guys" even know they overfill ? All their POS cars go through oil like a sailor through a case or Rum . Your car burns oil at a crazy rate as well ! So whats YOUR point? you could've burned a quart before you put a quart . Also keep in mind that all their motors are as old as the Queen of England , if it works for one idiot it doesnt mean it'll work for others. There is absolutely no proven solid data.

Do you even know if those home made racers run stock rev limiters ? If not, then the whole topic is stupid as it has no back up whatsoever.

CALL VORSHLAD OR ANY RESPECTIVE RACE TEAM (ANYONE YOU WISH WHO RACES COMPETITIVELY, DONT NEED TO BE BMW TEAM, HELL CALL A CHEVY TEAM) AND ASK THEM IF THEY RECOMMEND OVERFILLING A STOCK (completely unmodified, stock rev limiter etc)ENGINE BY 1+QUART THEN RECOMMENDED BY MANUFACTURER

Stop listening to some home made weekend racers , call someone with experience. Its a toll free number , go at it on the weekend and come back

IMG_1725

Last edited by Blocked Out; 05-30-2012 at 08:58 PM.