E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-30-2016, 01:59 PM   #1
Slick92GS-R

My Ride: '00 323i Touring
no ambient temp sensor? HELP

picked up a '01 325i Touring and i can't find Ambient temp sensor. i know where it should ( front of driver side wheel area).
this car does NOT have control/button on the turn signal stalk that allows to cycle through OBC displays so i can't tell if there's a reading or not

original cluster has been replaced because last was completely dead

PO says a/c was working fine before parked it (maybe BS) but it sure ain't working now.

compressor does not click on, visual inspection shows clutch not engage while car running,, suspect a bad AMB Temp sensor, but i can't find it..
  • anyone with such a BASE MODEL E46 that doesn't have OBC function controller ?
  • thinking that BASE model had unique cluster or ability to cycle through OBC?
  • shouldn't there still be a AMB temp sensor
Slick92GS-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-30-2016, 02:39 PM   #2
dworthy

My Ride: 05 M3 05 325it
Yes, all E-46's came with the ambient temp sensor. While the original owner may not have paid for the on-board computer, all you really need is the "BC" stalk and somebody who can code it into the dash. The sensor itself is located in the driver's side brake duct work up in the bumper area, and if the car has been in an accident, it could have been ripped off.

There are repair kits out there to fix the wiring and a new sensor, and the car does need it for the A/C to work properly.
dworthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 02:58 PM   #3
kevro

My Ride: e36,e36,325it.
if you do a little searching, the pins for ambient sensor can be found. i had similar issues. once u find pins try putting a resistor in line with the two wires. (jumper with resistor basically) this will tell system that ambient is 122 degrees. and if this is whats causing ac to not work then it should fire up. those connectors suck on back of cluster so be careful how much you handle them. all my issues traced back to those connections.
if you have inpa you can see all the parameters of ac and quickly identify why it isnt firing up.
GL

the connector closest to driver side mirror has only like 4 or 5 wires. i think the two ambient sensor wires were like one and two. but double check before you start jumping wires.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...8#post16425288

Last edited by kevro; 07-30-2016 at 03:00 PM.
kevro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 08:35 PM   #4
Slick92GS-R

My Ride: '00 323i Touring
Thanks for the responses kevro and dworthy. I was able to cycle thru the OBC hidden functions menu to see -400 on the Ambient temp so I know the sensor is not working. Just gotta find the correct wire to install new.
Slick92GS-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 01:16 AM   #5
BaliDawg
Modded ///Member

My Ride: 325Ci 330Ci 530i 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick92GS-R View Post
Thanks for the responses kevro and dworthy. I was able to cycle thru the OBC hidden functions menu to see -400 on the Ambient temp so I know the sensor is not working. Just gotta find the correct wire to install new.
Trace the horn wires back from under the bumper and you'll see where the ATS wiring used to be, probably ripped out or cut? Careful that you don't swap the horn and ATS plugs, they'll fit if you force them.
Old 08-01-2016, 02:15 AM   #6
kevro

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...=#post17013746

Be aware that it isn't always simple, all my wires were intact. All of them tested positive for Continuity and no shorts were present. I just went through this exact problem,

Old 08-05-2016, 10:18 PM   #7
kevro

Op. Any updates? If this happens to anyone else it would be helpful if you follow up.