E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-24-2012, 09:13 PM   #1
RKiepper

My Ride: 1999 E46 328I x2
Feeler: Use rain sensor to auto close windows when it rains

Alright guys, I've just came up with this idea sitting here at work.

Staring at my car with the windows
& sunroof open and I thought.. Dang, it would suck if I were upstairs working and the heavens decided to open up and drench my car.. Interior with it.

Since there is a module in the windshield that already senses when it's raining.. Here is my question/idea.

"I want to power the rain sensor when the ignition is off, and should it detect rain, it sends out the signal to activate the wipers.. But I want to reroute that signal to all the windows and sunroof auto closing circuit."

This would only work when the car is off, and regular functions would resume while the car is on. I plan to run the power trigger through the wiper dial where you select the auto function. If the auto function is selected, the module would stay on while the car is off. If it isn't, then it will not stay on when the car is shut off. This gives the user more functionality.

Possible? Probably a simple thing with just using switching relays. But I'm not sure yet.

What do you guys think?!

And no BS about "just roll up your windows" please!!

Last edited by RKiepper; 05-25-2012 at 12:50 AM.
RKiepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-25-2012, 12:41 AM   #2
Ballistic325

My Ride: slow and steady
Sub'd. Very interesting idea... it should be possible.

I can help with
* Reading Codes / Coding your car
* R&R FCAs, Tie Rods, Sway links....
* RTABs

Need an RTAB tool? Or clutch fan and water pump tools? PM me.
Ballistic325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:52 AM   #3
RKiepper

I'm thinking this would also work on convertibles with a simple timer circuit.

Auto closing the top then the windows if it starts to rain!
Old 05-25-2012, 01:12 AM   #4
Ballistic325

My Ride: slow and steady
Cool!

I think relays would do the job, but what type and how to hook them up....

I can help with
* Reading Codes / Coding your car
* R&R FCAs, Tie Rods, Sway links....
* RTABs

Need an RTAB tool? Or clutch fan and water pump tools? PM me.
Ballistic325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:15 AM   #5
JSanders

My Ride: Breaks too often
interesting..
Old 05-25-2012, 01:29 AM   #6
RKiepper

The circuits would all be open for use when the car is off anyway. I just need to figure out where the wiper signal is sent from.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:43 AM   #7
digitalsin

My Ride: 01 M3 Imola Coupe
I still have the old unit from iWindows that did this same exact thing. I mounted inside of the rear window....but stopped working properly after I tinted my windows.

|01 Imola M3 Coupe | Miro Type 366 Wheels w/ General Exclaim UHP's | Custom Double Din Kenwood DDX7017 Install w/ TV tuner, Nav, and Sirius| S2000 Engine Start Button | Predator Chromium DDE's | Blacked Out Grills, Roundels, and M Badge | DEPO Smoked Corners | iWindows Remote Window Module w/iRain | 20% Tint All Around | Keyhole Cover | Imola Front Reflector Delete | Cross-Drilled Rotors w/ Axxis Deluxe Pads
digitalsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:54 PM   #8
Hoeynoey

My Ride: 2004 BMW 330i
Install a Micro Allen Bradly PLC and you could do anything you wanted.
Hoeynoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 03:00 PM   #9
devin_name

My Ride: 2004 325i
Would this actually work seeing as how you have to "activate" the auto wipers? Or at least in my car even when set to auto I still have to do the initial engagement when it starts to drizzle? Amazing idea... just my two cents.
devin_name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:12 PM   #10
Arty

My Ride: 1999 328i
The RLS will periodically send an 8 bit value of the amount of refracted light that represents the amount of water on the sensor over the iBus when the vehicle is on. You can also query the sensor using the diagnostic commands. Your device would need to interpret the readings and decide if it is raining. You would need to be aware of the current consumption. If you keep modules awake you can drain the battery in hours. Next you would need to attempt to close the windows which can also be done with the diagnostic interface commands, but you would need to fool the ZKE into thinking the ignition is on because the windows won't work unless that happens as the ZKE is in deep sleep. This would be contradicted by the LCM which knows the ignition is off because the ignition tumbler is wired to it.
Arty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:59 PM   #11
RKiepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by devin_name View Post
Would this actually work seeing as how you have to "activate" the auto wipers? Amazing idea... just my two cents.
The auto wipers are selected to come on when the dial is turned all the way down, on the sensor setting. You have to bump up the knob to turn them on.

I'm going to tear apart another stalk I have in my trunk to see how it is wired. If there is a separate wire for each setting(I doubt) then I will just run a switching circuit so it will be used normally when the car is running, and act as a power switch when the car is off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arty View Post
The RLS will periodically send an 8 bit value of the amount Blah.. Blah.. Blah.
Does the sensor actually talk to the other modules, or does it send the signal directly? This might pose a problem if it does.

If so, is it possible to use the signal from the sensor to trigger the circuit, or is it always 'talking'?
Old 05-27-2012, 02:14 AM   #12
Arty

My Ride: 1999 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKiepper View Post
Does the sensor actually talk to the other modules, or does it send the signal directly? This might pose a problem if it does.

If so, is it possible to use the signal from the sensor to trigger the circuit, or is it always 'talking'?
If my memory serves me correctly - when the car is on (a condition broadcast over the iBus IGN ON), the RLS sensor reports the conditions periodically on the iBus. That is, I don't think it needs a special message to make it begin reporting, other than the IGN ON one.

The ZKE (which has the wiper relays inside it) decides what to do with that info based on the settings on the wiper switch and the vehicle speed.

The wiper switch is not connected to the iBus and therefore does not/cannot activate or interact with the RLS directly.

When the car is tuned off, an IGN OFF message is sent over the iBus. 30s after the car is turned off, the iBus goes low (0V) and all modules enter deep sleep to save power. At some point in that process the RLS will go mute and enter its power down mode.

Since lots of modules are on the iBus you can listen to the RLS sensor messages at the CDC, the radio, the sat nav, the driver seat memory, the ZKE, the mirror memory modules, the KOMBI, the LCM, the HVAC and so on.

Last edited by Arty; 05-27-2012 at 02:21 AM.
Arty is offline   Reply With Quote