E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-24-2012, 04:16 AM   #1
aeorozco

My Ride: 2000 323i
Send a message via Yahoo to aeorozco
Question Curious........ Selling the E46

Hey guys..... I been debating on selling the 323i, I really want an E46 M3 but they are so hard to find in good condition and at a decent price now that I kind have accepted that the M is going to be alot harder to find then something else, While out car shopping this week I stumbled across like 10 E60/61 5 Series that really struck me.. I would be buying the 5 as a DD but do not want to go the V8 route, I would like to stick to a M/T 6 speed V6 with turbo, only for economy reasons. What are your guys thoughts..? Im sure im going to get put on blast for selling the E46 but its just too slow, not that the 5 will be much faster , but I think its a hell of a lot sexier with the right shoes and socks

For the haters who are curious about the E46, the car now has 130k, bought it 8 months ago with 105k. M/T 5 spd, leather, power seats, sunroof, Steel blue metallic. the car is in almost excellent condition with the exception of the SAP mounts being broken on it, and my Washer res has just sprung a leak. Other then that the factory AC blows cold, car drives like a dream but could use a susp. upgrade as its all stock. Still owe 5k on the car but I have a gf who is considering buying it as it for payoff which is not a bad deal considering I was an idiot and got raped for this car, paid 6900 for it not long ago, and the first week i had it i put 1000 into it to replace the electric fan($750), Vanos (Besian kit), all the belts have been repaced as well as the hydraulic tensioner, idler and ac belts. Also the fuel filter and air filters have been changed and 2x Oil Change has been done already, and the plugs have been changed Also just bought a brand new set of Eagle GT tires still stock 16" ($650) that have hardly any wear on them. Car gets 26.4 mpg on the dash and well over 400 mi/ tank depending on the amount of hw driving I do.
Current Payoff is a little over $5K

No pics of the 5Series as of yet, im going to go look and drive it again this morning after I get off of work at 8am, will post pics and let you know how it goes. Looking at a 04, black on black and i think it has something around 120-130k mi on it but the dealer wants $18.9K, Im thinking thats a little over priced considering the KBB is only something like 17K?

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:43 AM   #2
zhenkaaaM3

My Ride: Fst'r then your e46
So your gonna sell an e46 to get a older 5 series?
All of the bmws are slow until you start either turbo'ing, s/charging, or just get an m3. M3s come along pretty often.
zhenkaaaM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:49 AM   #3
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
I'm confused... what BMW has a turbo V6?
Old 05-24-2012, 10:50 AM   #4
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
I'm confused even more... you owe 5 grand on your 2000 323?
Old 05-24-2012, 10:58 AM   #5
choxor

My Ride: JDM
I'm not aware of any V6 turbo engine for the E60. I'd pay down the 323 first, but the 5-series is going to make a much more practical DD than the M3.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:00 AM   #6
jasonbimmer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330xi
BMW and V6? lol. this made my day.
jasonbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:32 AM   #7
Wolrab

My Ride: 330Ci MT, 545i SMG
Send a message via Skype™ to Wolrab
If you're cost-sensitive, you're damn right about not getting the V8. It costs a fortune to keep that N62 engine in good shape. In fact, if you're cost-sensitive, it might be better to stay away from anything BMW!

I think that price is a bit high for an '04.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:22 PM   #8
//TRD power

My Ride: 3.0 | 200hp | 214trq
If the BMW isnt 04/05+... Stop by the store and get some vaseline too.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:42 PM   #9
sea6speed

My Ride: 2011 135i 6MT
Unless you just came into some money this is a bad idea. Do your research on the car you're looking to buy.

For starters:

- 2004 E60 525i manuals retail around $12K w/ 100K miles
- 2008 was the first year E60's came with a turbo I6. If you find one for $19K it's likely either a buyback (lemon) or out of HPFP warranty
Old 05-24-2012, 01:11 PM   #10
Tex323GripIsKey

My Ride: 2000 323i Green
Are you aware of the maint. involved with owning a Turbo'd engine? I-6... inline my friend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetness View Post
I used to drive fast and cowboy around, but then I realized that I can't even afford bumping into someone, so now it's slow and classy, with occasional spurts of speed. Fanatics might pick on each other from time to time, but we are all one great big family that looks out for each other in the end.
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
I pull up to meets, lean to one side, shakin my finger at all da playahaterz. Then I get back into my car and flash mah beamz.
323i brakes & rotors
Tex323GripIsKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 02:22 PM   #11
Hammer432

My Ride: 2001 330i 3 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex323GripIsKey View Post
Are you aware of the maint. involved with owning a Turbo'd engine? I-6... inline my friend!
I'm keeping my E46 forever, but am curious, what are the added maintenance issues of a turbocharged engine?
Hammer432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 02:31 PM   #12
Tex323GripIsKey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer432 View Post
I'm keeping my E46 forever, but am curious, what are the added maintenance issues of a turbocharged engine?
Quote:
Everything Oil, healthy turbo engines should be well cooled and lubricated. Use synthetic oil only for your turbo engine because these oils can tackle extreme temperatures. Change oil every 2,500 to 3,000 miles because oil breaks down and gets dirty in time. Always check the oil level and remember to let the oil cool down first before you turn off the engine of your car. Just leave the car idle for a few minutes. It will help you prevent any damage on your engine bearings and oil lines. Check that all turbo bearings are well lubricated before using the car, especially after you have undergone oil change. Check for oil leaks. Contaminants in the engine oil like dirt or carbon, if not collected by the oil filter, can enter the turbo charger.

Supplementary tips for turbo maintenance. Check the wastegate signal hose for any cracks or signs of hardening. Make sure that the throttle position sensor or TPS is working well. Clean the throttle body every 30,000 miles. Do not allow your tires to go bald since it will affect suspension. In a fully powered turbo car, you wouldn't want to fall onto potholes real hard. Air filter must be replaced every 10,000 miles. Replace the timing belt every 40,000 miles. During long drives and heavy traffic situations, it would be helpful if you have a switch in line with the air-conditioning fan for the turbo system to cool down. Foreign objects into the engine can damage the turbine. Frequent basic checkups of the turbo engine are important to prevent any possible damages. Immediately address any problems so they won't get bigger and nastier. If the turbocharger needs to be replaced, replace it with a turbo of a different type. Make sure you that you are getting the correct type of turbocharger for your engine so avoid faulty turbo performance, high fuel and oil consumptions, and engine damage. When you have modified your engine, you need to modify your turbocharger as well. Plan your trips well and know when your next stop is to adjust your throttle. In the last few miles of driving, avoid using full throttle and let the engine start to relax to prevent excessive heat build-up in the turbo when you need to turn the engine off. Go to a professional who is an expert in turbochargers for any concerns on your turbo car.

Following the tips above for turbo maintenance can help you get the most out of your turbo petrol car and you can take advantage of:

- More horsepower which you require
- More torque
- Better throttle response
- Smoother operation
- Safer overtaking

The turbo kit you installed has already cost you some amount. If it breaks down on you due to factory defect, you can always claim for warranty immediately. If the turbo car breaks down to due to neglect on turbo maintenance then you will have more costly things to come your way.
More parts to worry about maintaining.

Quote:
I used to drive fast and cowboy around, but then I realized that I can't even afford bumping into someone, so now it's slow and classy, with occasional spurts of speed. Fanatics might pick on each other from time to time, but we are all one great big family that looks out for each other in the end.
Quote:
I pull up to meets, lean to one side, shakin my finger at all da playahaterz. Then I get back into my car and flash mah beamz.
323i brakes & rotors
Old 05-24-2012, 02:43 PM   #13
choxor

^^^ Where did you find that gibberish crap
Old 05-24-2012, 02:57 PM   #14
Tex323GripIsKey

Quote:
Originally Posted by choxor View Post
^^^ Where did you find that gibberish crap
Excuse my french, that was a quick pull from the interwebz, I didn't get to read it all. Just do a goog search of what upkeep is required with the extra parts under the hood. Plenty of stuff to read, decide for yourself.

Quote:
Quote:
323i brakes & rotors
Old 05-24-2012, 03:12 PM   #15
choxor

There is no additional upkeep. Just more **** to go wrong.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:16 PM   #16
Tex323GripIsKey

Quote:
Originally Posted by choxor View Post
There is no additional upkeep. Just more **** to go wrong.
You mean to tell me none of the extra parts EVER require cleaning?

Quote:
Quote:
323i brakes & rotors
Old 05-24-2012, 03:18 PM   #17
choxor

I'd pressure wash off my intercooler sometimes.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:18 PM   #18
Tex323GripIsKey

Please give this a look over
http://www.workturbochargers.com/kno...ilure-101.html

Quote:
Quote:
323i brakes & rotors
Old 05-24-2012, 03:29 PM   #19
choxor

I got my first boosted car, a GSX, a decade ago. Personal experience > quick google searches.

What else did you think you'd clean? That link talks about changing the oil and filters. How is changing your oil and filters per the manufacturer's recommendation "additional maintenance?"
Old 05-24-2012, 03:54 PM   #20
Tex323GripIsKey

Not trying to say you're wrong at all Cho. Additional compared to a car with out a turbo. More frequent changes of oil, filter, plugs, and w/e else. If you don't love it like it should be, stuff starts fudging up. No telling what an OP has done w/o proper lookover. I'm not saying if you have a turbo'd car you're going to be sitting in your garage with a rag meticulously cleaning. Just like a normal intake, stuff gets in there. Dirt, dust, grime. More parts to tend. No matter what intervals. Like you said. More **** to go wrong. (if not taken care of properly.) I'm not a boost guru either. Not claiming to be one. I've had a few buddies with boosted cars and they all have voiced their opinion of more upkeep and potential for disaster.

Quote:
Quote:
323i brakes & rotors