E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-27-2012, 01:12 PM   #1
rody1285

My Ride: 00' 323i, 05 M3 Vert
Send a message via AIM to rody1285
Back Reverse Camera Problem

Hello, I recently transferred my Dynavin from my 323i to my M3.. I purchased a new camera, CCD camera from ebay for about $18.00 from China. When the car is on I am getting horizontal lines that travel up the screen. Its only there when the car is on. Now I'm wondering if this is a wiring/grounding issue or could it be a camera problem. The unit worked fine in the 323 without any distortion issues. I believe the camera in the 323i was a CMOS. Could this be an inherent problem with the CCD camera and need for more power vs the lower powered CMOS camera? I don't think its the reverse sensors or wiring, since the camera works fine with the engine off. Does anyone know what could be causing this "interference/ horizontal lines" ??

I posted a video below, sorry about the beeping in the video the parking distance sensor was going off because I was close to the wall.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-27-2012, 01:19 PM   #2
chazstace

My Ride: E46 328i SE
It's noise in the system, it can come from the alternator. Check you have a good ground. If not you may need to use some kind of filter.
chazstace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 01:22 PM   #3
rody1285

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazstace View Post
It's noise in the system, it can come from the alternator. Check you have a good ground. If not you may need to use some kind of filter.
My ground or (-)negative wire is just the brown ground wire from the reverse light. Shouldn't that be enough? What is this filter you mention ?
Old 05-27-2012, 01:53 PM   #4
rody1285

I have been reading that cmos cameras have less noise and use less power. Will replacing the ccd camera with cmos resolve this problem?
Old 05-27-2012, 02:30 PM   #5
rody1285

Bump
Old 05-27-2012, 04:57 PM   #6
rody1285

I just checked the camera on the 323i on the m3 and its still doing the horizontal lines. I guess the problem is not with the camera
Old 05-27-2012, 06:35 PM   #7
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
sounds like a connection, more likely a grounding.

for filter he is talking about feedback from the alternator. but you would hear that in the speakers too usually. easy way to see is if the screen shows lines when the car is "key on" and when it's "running on". "key on" the alternator is not running the power like it does when the car's engine is running.
Old 05-27-2012, 10:21 PM   #8
rody1285

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
sounds like a connection, more likely a grounding.

for filter he is talking about feedback from the alternator. but you would hear that in the speakers too usually. easy way to see is if the screen shows lines when the car is "key on" and when it's "running on". "key on" the alternator is not running the power like it does when the car's engine is running.
yes, I do not have issue with the car "on" but when the engine is running and alternator is turning the horizontal hum lines are present. So how do I fix ? I was reading this post :

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e63...sharing-2.html

Scroll down a bit the post by whatheheck on June 2, 2010 seems be describing my problem.
Old 05-28-2012, 02:30 PM   #9
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Yep sounds like the same thing. You can either buy/install that fix-it part, or simply try a better ground and see if that cures. GL