E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-27-2011, 03:59 PM   #1
dmw16

My Ride: 2005 M3 ZCP
Constant Pressure Valve - $739?!?!?!

I bought a "new" 05 M3 from CarMax 2 weeks ago and took the car to a well recommended and highly regarded indy shop for a valve adjustment and alignment.

I got a call from the shop today that they found 2 things:

1. Rear trailing arm bushings are shot too badly to do the alignment. Frustrating but not shocking.

2. Constant Pressure Valve is leaking or seeping. I'm leaning towards seeping as I've seen no oil on the garage floor or anything.

The RTAB were quoted at $540 and the constant pressure valve at $739. I called carmax and read them the riot act (although shame on me for not doing a PPI before my return window closed).

But I went online and the RTAB swap seems straight forward. A pain and I get why it would be $500 @ a shop but doable for an at home DIY.

Then I went online to look at the constant pressure valve. It sounds like a pain in the butt, but again seems doable and the part is only $40. Am I missing something about the job? Why did they quote me so much? Does the 'book' time include pulling the header?
dmw16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:16 PM   #2
30seconds

My Ride: M3 vert
RTAB needs a special tool and is a pain.
30seconds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:18 PM   #3
SledgeHammer!

My Ride: 2005 E46 M3
Your indy shop is ripping you off. $739 is DEALER price for the CPV value. Indy shop pricing is ~$300 to $400. The valve itself is like $50. The rest is all labor. Your indy shop probably quoted you the "remove the header" price... you can swap the CPV valve without removing the header.
SledgeHammer! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:20 PM   #4
dmw16

I don't really want to fight with the indy shop over it and really don't feel like screwing around with carmax.

I am leaning towards getting my car and doing the work myself. I know the RTAB job is a bit of a pain, but it might be worth it to have good aftermarket bushings and to not have to screw around with carmax. Because if I take it in and they say they aren't going to fix it I'm going to go into orbit.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:39 PM   #5
daschae

My Ride: M3/Denali/F250/FJ80
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmw16 View Post
I don't really want to fight with the indy shop over it and really don't feel like screwing around with carmax.

I am leaning towards getting my car and doing the work myself. I know the RTAB job is a bit of a pain, but it might be worth it to have good aftermarket bushings and to not have to screw around with carmax. Because if I take it in and they say they aren't going to fix it I'm going to go into orbit.
Are you sure the TOTAL isnt the $700? The RTAB are a PITA and worth paying to have done, the CPV however is easy. Part is $40, shouldnt take ANYONE more than 1.5 hours. Just call the INDY and tell him if he can do it all for $729 you will do it.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:43 PM   #6
dmw16

Quote:
Originally Posted by daschae View Post
Are you sure the TOTAL isnt the $700? The RTAB are a PITA and worth paying to have done, the CPV however is easy. Part is $40, shouldnt take ANYONE more than 1.5 hours. Just call the INDY and tell him if he can do it all for $729 you will do it.
He gave me a seperate quote for each job so I'm pretty sure he didn't mean total. Beyond that I'm thinking I should just do it myself to 1) learn the car 2) have satisfaction of a job well done and 3) not kill anyone at carmax.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:48 PM   #7
daschae

My Ride: M3/Denali/F250/FJ80
Quote:
He gave me a seperate quote for each job so I'm pretty sure he didn't mean total. Beyond that I'm thinking I should just do it myself to 1) learn the car 2) have satisfaction of a job well done and 3) not kill anyone at carmax.
Id consider having him do the RTAB for that price..I had my first set done at the dealer and with an alignment paid about $800. The CPV is easy enough, on my first car I replaced the valve, on my current M3 I just took the o-ring off the "old" cpv and took it to the auto parts store to match up the o ring, got one a little smaller and 5k miles later its working great, o-ring was .32
Old 07-27-2011, 05:06 PM   #8
dmw16

Quote:
Originally Posted by daschae View Post
Id consider having him do the RTAB for that price..I had my first set done at the dealer and with an alignment paid about $800. The CPV is easy enough, on my first car I replaced the valve, on my current M3 I just took the o-ring off the "old" cpv and took it to the auto parts store to match up the o ring, got one a little smaller and 5k miles later its working great, o-ring was .32
Well I'd have to have carmax due it and only with OEM parts. I'd rather just install the rogue engineering ones and be done with it. Otherwise I'm going to be doing it again sometime.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:21 PM   #9
costac

My Ride: 03 m3
ask them for a price if the same parts were on a honda. i had my valve replaced by turner motorsports for $140 total and the rtabs were $440 approx. turner is a well known shop in my area.
costac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 05:23 PM   #10
dmw16

Quote:
Originally Posted by costac View Post
ask them for a price if the same parts were on a honda. i had my valve replaced by turner motorsports for $140 total and the rtabs were $440 approx. turner is a well known shop in my area.
I'm sure the ///M badge raises the price. For $250 out of pocket I bought new (non-OEM) RTAB's, the tool to press them out, and a new CPV.

I'll just do it myself and avoid the aggravation.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:08 PM   #11
cityjohn

My Ride: 2001 M3
Quote:
I'm thinking I should just do it myself to 1) learn the car 2) have satisfaction of a job well done and 3) not kill anyone at carmax.
That's the way to go. I hate taking my car to a shop (and fortunate to have access to tools and have the time to do the work). Plus if you ever decide you want someone else to do it later you know exactly what the job involves.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:31 PM   #12
mdsonicTT

My Ride: 3rd gear
The shop is charging too much -- RTABs should take no longer than an hour. I've had them swapped in under an hour with standard tools. Find the hourly rate and book time for swapping components (RTABS should be around an hour or less.)

Last edited by mdsonicTT; 07-28-2011 at 02:53 AM.
mdsonicTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:36 PM   #13
RAFF112

My Ride: 325ci M3 cbr 600rr
Lmfao impressive charged me like $50 to replace this.

Sent from my PC36100 using Bimmer App

VCSL Front 18/13 Spacers Full Borla V2 K&N drop-in w/custom tube LED Interior air horn BMW performance shift Knob Seibon Hood LED DRL Dynavin Depo corners RE rear camber arms and Vogtland Springs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayabusa55 View Post
I used to think love exists. Turns out it's a manifestation of insecurities and boredom.
RAFF112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 02:54 PM   #14
dillard

My Ride: 2004 M3 Cabrio
CPV is a pain without a lift but doable. Search DIYs for tips.
Old 07-28-2011, 03:10 PM   #15
AlbertM3

My Ride: 2004 M3
CarMax is a rip off
AlbertM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:19 PM   #16
jaramill

My Ride: White 2005 BMW M3
Same here as I just responded to another thread What is the "euro valve"? as I hadn't heard of the "Euro valve" (aka the CPV - Constant Pressure Valve).

Last edited by jaramill; 01-22-2013 at 07:20 PM.
jaramill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:41 PM   #17
fu98

My Ride: 2002 m3 6mt
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30seconds View Post
RTAB needs a special tool and is a pain.
you can get this tool , use it, then sell it back or rent it to people on the forum. the pain will be no worse than jacking the car up!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MIS-BMW-E36-...70948379574%26
fu98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:37 PM   #18
NoMoreIdeas

My Ride: 01 M3
I know this is an old post, but RTABS are like $18 each, and once I got the hang of it, it took me about 45 mins / side. The CPV valve just needs the oring replaced, which is about $3 shipped, and took me about 45 mins to replace as well. I borrowed the RTAB tool from a local enthusiast, and made the CPV tool from by bench grinder.

In short, all this can easily be done for less than $60 and about 3 hours of your time.
NoMoreIdeas is offline   Reply With Quote