E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-30-2012, 02:24 AM   #21
calledig1tal

My Ride: 08 328i
Send a message via AIM to calledig1tal
more movie stars have their homes on kauai. maui has more generic rich haoles. poor locals on the big island or oahu.

edit: maui was super hyped and the popular island, if you didnt want honolulu. now that crown has gone to kauai.

Last edited by calledig1tal; 05-30-2012 at 02:26 AM.
calledig1tal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 03:21 AM   #22
Chris3Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325seeeye View Post
+10 on Kauai. Grand Hyatt is great (I can't compare to others, but I know the Grand Hyatt and it will not disappoint).

Best hiking. Best waterfalls. Best beaches (north shore). Just get ready to see more chickens than you thought possible. Seriously. Chickens everywhere. But they are laid back chickens.
Just booked two nights at the Grand Hyatt on Kauai. Won a bid on Priceline for $160 a night (with tax and Priceline fees, it comes to $190, plus a $30 resort fee means it's really $220).

I'm debating between trying to win another bid at the Grand Hyatt, versus staying at the St. Regis the last night.
Chris3Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 04:34 PM   #23
Chris3Duke

That's a good call on the Hertz prestige car, I hadn't thought of that one.

We've already decided on Kauai, so Maui will have to wait until next time. I went ahead and booked the St. Regis for our last night there. Switching hotels with only 3 nights is kind of weird, but it's on the opposite side of the island, so we'll get a change of scenery. Plus, we have almost four full days (we get to Kauai at like 10am Monday, and fly out at like 8pm Thursday).
Old 05-30-2012, 04:38 PM   #24
Chris3Duke

Looking at rental cars now. Will I need / want 4WD on Kauai?
Old 05-30-2012, 05:24 PM   #25
mistrzmiasta

My Ride: GLK350,ML63, Duc1098
jeep wrangler...got one booked as well
mistrzmiasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:06 PM   #26
benjamin1

My Ride: 350z track edition
My rental car on Maui from hertz
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1338419143.780691.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	454045  

benjamin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:36 PM   #27
benjamin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRY View Post
That's hysterical - I rented an Escalade too once but I traded it in for the jag, I wasn't used to driving a truck and its headlights (halogens at the time) blew chunks.
We were going to get the vert mercedes they had, but there wasn't enough room in the trunk for our luggage. Other than how beat up the inside was, the escalade was pretty nice. Went offloads a couple of times and it was definitely better than having some Nissan Sentra.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:40 PM   #28
ChicagoRY

My Ride: 2002 E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin1 View Post
We were going to get the vert mercedes they had, but there wasn't enough room in the trunk for our luggage. Other than how beat up the inside was, the escalade was pretty nice. Went offloads a couple of times and it was definitely better than having some Nissan Sentra.
Ya, little secret, I actually like the newer GM trucks both mechanically and cosmetically.

If I brought golf clubs they would not have fit in the jag convertible trunk with my luggage, no way.

What island is Dog the Bounty hunter on? I want to give that guy a hug, bra.

PS - my spellcheck too also just tried to turn "off road" into "offload," I'm guessing we had the same problem.

Last edited by ChicagoRY; 05-30-2012 at 07:41 PM.
ChicagoRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:12 PM   #29
benjamin1

Yeah I just noticed that. Heh oops.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:31 PM   #30
_.dstrukt.n1ne
libtorrent 0.13.3

My Ride: AC Schnitzer E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris3Duke View Post
Looking at rental cars now. Will I need / want 4WD on Kauai?
I suggest at least a SUV. There's a sweet ass beach that doesn't have a paved road to get to it.

Polihale State Park

http://www.hawaiistateparks.org/park....cfm?park_id=5

It's freakin' awesome.

Here are a few pics I took from the beach. Hardly anyone there, which was nice.

Oregon, USA

2000 323i | Brembo | Technik | HRE | Toyo | Meguiar's | AC Schnitzer | Alpine | Alumapro | H&R| Porsche | ASA | MOMO | Rogue Engineering | Rennsport | Hamann | Supersprint

_.dstrukt.n1ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:05 AM   #31
calledig1tal

Quote:
Originally Posted by _.dstrukt.n1ne View Post
I suggest at least a SUV. There's a sweet ass beach that doesn't have a paved road to get to it.

pix
omg how nice. is this cabo?
Old 05-31-2012, 12:25 AM   #32
_.dstrukt.n1ne
libtorrent 0.13.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by calledig1tal View Post
omg how nice. is this cabo?
Thanks! It's a beach on the island of Kauai.

http://goo.gl/maps/rkab

OP needs to go there.

Oregon, USA

2000 323i | Brembo | Technik | HRE | Toyo | Meguiar's | AC Schnitzer | Alpine | Alumapro | H&R| Porsche | ASA | MOMO | Rogue Engineering | Rennsport | Hamann | Supersprint

Old 05-31-2012, 01:16 AM   #33
calledig1tal

Quote:
Originally Posted by _.dstrukt.n1ne View Post
Thanks! It's a beach on the island of Kauai.

http://goo.gl/maps/rkab

OP needs to go there.
ahahha sorry sarcasm didn't quite play out so well. on oahu we dont get nice beaches like that
Old 05-31-2012, 02:08 AM   #34
kuksul08

My Ride: M3
I've been to Kauai and Maui. Kauai is so beautiful. Who cares what hotel you're at... you're just going to sleep there. Spend the rest of the time on the beach, hiking, snorkeling, motorcycle riding, or just kicking back and enjoying the epic views.

edit: 4 days is not enough. We went for 7 last time and said never again unless it was at least 2 weeks. You don't get to settle down and really explore it in such a short time.

Look at that subtle jet-black coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God, it even has a 6mt.
S54 Valve Adjustment Spreadsheet & Info: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28231781/S54...ent%20info.zip
S54 VANOS DIY Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SkT2j3jsU0

Last edited by kuksul08; 05-31-2012 at 02:10 AM.
kuksul08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 03:38 AM   #35
_.dstrukt.n1ne
libtorrent 0.13.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuksul08 View Post
I've been to Kauai and Maui. Kauai is so beautiful. Who cares what hotel you're at... you're just going to sleep there. Spend the rest of the time on the beach, hiking, snorkeling, motorcycle riding, or just kicking back and enjoying the epic views.

edit: 4 days is not enough. We went for 7 last time and said never again unless it was at least 2 weeks. You don't get to settle down and really explore it in such a short time.

This! I also stayed for 7 days and didn't fully explore the island. I really wish we had time to at least drive up to the north shore.

I can't wait to go back.

Oregon, USA

Old 05-31-2012, 03:39 AM   #36
_.dstrukt.n1ne
libtorrent 0.13.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by calledig1tal View Post
ahahha sorry sarcasm didn't quite play out so well. on oahu we dont get nice beaches like that
indeed!

Oregon, USA

Old 05-31-2012, 03:43 AM   #37
mkodama

Maui if you like resorts, Kauai if you like more homey, local, bumming around type stuff.

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:20 PM   #38
Chris3Duke

Yeah, I would really prefer more than 4 days, but since this is a work trip for her with meetings in Honolulu Monday morning and Friday morning, that's the best we can do. We have another three nights in Waikiki Beach, but only really one day to do stuff on Oahu.

I figure this will be a "scope it out" type trip for Kauai, and then we'll go back when our daughter is a little older (she's 2), possibly with either friends or family.

I was waffling on the nice resort thing, since, I agree, it's not like we're going to stay there the whole time. But, this way, we can see which part of the island / resort we like, so we know for next time.

The St. Regis should be awesome, and for anyone else considering it, they have a deal where (if available), they'll upgrade you to an Oceanfront suite 10 days in advance for an extra $100 a night. I went ahead and took it, so the total rate is $250 a night plus 8000 Starpoints. That's a pretty good deal for a $1000 a night room that comes with your own personal butler.

The only downside is everything else is going to be expensive at the St. Regis. $30 a night for parking, plus the tip for the valet, an extra $15 a night for internet, $30 salads at lunch, $15 cocktails, and so forth.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:25 PM   #39
Chris3Duke

Description of the suite from the St. Regis website:

Each 820-square-foot Prince Junior Ocean View Suite welcomes guests with an inviting Crema marble foyer entry with original artwork by Kauai artist Saim Caglayan. Step in and enjoy a plush bedroom ensemble and a comfortably residential sitting and dining area with views framed by an expansive window with wood plantation shutters and screens that open to the sound of the ocean.

Contemporary furnishings include an upholstered sectional sofa, leather ottoman and glass top coffee table in a nuanced color palette. Business travelers will find an inviting work space with an oversized desk with a one-touch mini port and High Speed Internet Access makes an efficient away-from-home office. Framed botanical prints of island flora and mother of pearl accessories add to the refined tropical ambience. Floor coverings include a honey-tone wool sisal carpet and custom designed rug with Hawaiian kapa pattern motif.

A custom-built entertainment console includes a 52-inch LG flat screen television and Bose Wave music system, an Avanti wine chiller and fully stocked Honor Bar with all the accoutrements. The bedroom area includes a 20-inch HD LG flat screen television discretely hidden in a bureau with an electronic control that allows the television to pop up on demand.

Drift into tranquil slumber in a sumptuous Sealy pillow top king bed, adorned with 300 thread-count linens and a 100 percent cotton duvet topped with a guava-colored chenille bed throw and a boudoir pillow embroidered with a gold Hawaiian maile leaf pattern.

The sumptuous Prince “bath suite” welcomes guests with exquisite Remède amenities, a luxurious whirlpool tub and shower combination and double vanity sinks, all with gleaming chrome fixtures. A uniquely framed glass window overlooking the view from the bath suite may be electronically controlled to reveal ocean views or shaded for privacy. Plush bathrobes and slippers await each guest.

Prince Junior Ocean View Suite guests enjoy signature St. Regis Butler Service.

Old 05-13-2013, 01:21 PM   #40
Chris3Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris3Duke View Post
We've already decided on Kauai, so Maui will have to wait until next time. I went ahead and booked the St. Regis for our last night there. Switching hotels with only 3 nights is kind of weird, but it's on the opposite side of the island, so we'll get a change of scenery. Plus, we have almost four full days (we get to Kauai at like 10am Monday, and fly out at like 8pm Thursday).
So, it's almost next time

We're flying out in 10 days for another business trip and will have around the same amount of time total, but one less day on the island of our choice (Maui this time). So, instead of 4 days 3 nights, it will be 3 days 2 nights.

Basically, we have to fly into Honolulu at the beginning even though we're going straight to Maui, as my wife says it would look sketchy to her company if she had them pay to fly her to a different island than where her meeting is. So we lose a night there.

We have a lot of Starwood points, so right now I have Ocean-view rooms reserved at both the Maui Westin and Maui Sheraton on points. For those that have been (a few people suggested them), which one did you like better?

We'd really love to do the Grand Weilea (Hilton) or the Fairmont, but would have to pay cash (no points there).

We have 4 nights on Oahu, and right now are staying at the Moana Surfrider, although I could get the Hilton Waikiki village for the same price (but would give up the SPG points).

Last year's trip to Kauai was great. The Grand Hyatt was fantastic, just as suggested. We got our room upgraded at check-in, and I would go back in a heartbeat.

The St. Regis was also very nice, like something out of cribs. The room, butler, etc. was ridiculous, but I actually preferred the Grand Hyatt's vibe. The GH would definitely be way better with kids.