E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-28-2012, 03:10 PM   #201
jeffro3000

My Ride: 2000 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Five_seveN View Post
yeah, just go on motorolas facebook page and read some of the posts. people are beyond furious with them. another thing is that motos customer support doesnt seem to help at all if something does go wrong with the phone. ugh, not particularly impressed with build quality on the s3 for being a premium device. dont know what to do here
There will be better choices soon enough. By Christmas time there will be a whole new batch of top-end models out, hopefully Verizon will get a cut of them. You're on T-Mo but switching to VZW, right?
jeffro3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:13 PM   #202
Five_seveN

My Ride: rover james
Send a message via AIM to Five_seveN
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro3000 View Post
There will be better choices soon enough. By Christmas time there will be a whole new batch of top-end models out, hopefully Verizon will get a cut of them. You're on T-Mo but switching to VZW, right?
already switched to verizon

Perhaps you should stop responding. It's a no-win for you here. :dunno:
Five_seveN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:23 PM   #203
Tauce says

My Ride: is imola
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman512 View Post
How so? Please, explain.
Pros:
Better performance
Better screen
Better battery life
Better apps
Better accessories
Better design

Cons:
Doesn't double as a ping pong paddle
Can't install antivirus

I thought I'd come into ya'lls android thread and tell you how awesome the new iPhone is.
Tauce says is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:30 PM   #204
Five_seveN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tauce says View Post
Pros:
Better performance
Better screen
Better battery life
Better apps
Better accessories
Better design

Cons:
Doesn't double as a ping pong paddle
Can't install antivirus

I thought I'd come into ya'lls android thread and tell you how awesome the new iPhone is.
im not on either side, but a lot of those are subjective

Old 09-28-2012, 11:19 PM   #205
Tauce says

The first 3 are verified and the last 3 are obvious. If Apple made a phone the size of the S3 it would get twice the battery life.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:36 PM   #206
Five_seveN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tauce says View Post
The first 3 are verified and the last 3 are obvious.
gonna disregard the latter because "being obvious" is still subjective and a weak argument. that said, i can see how the two are comparable and the iphone might have a little edge on the first three. but at the end of the day, the s3 came out in july and iphone came out in sept. i hope its better at something

i still dont think the s3 is a "premium" device though. that is some really cheap plastic they encase it with

Last edited by Five_seveN; 09-28-2012 at 11:37 PM.
Old 09-29-2012, 12:06 AM   #207
Tauce says

It's the same kind of subjective as me saying "Kate Upton is way hotter than your mom". Obvious.
Old 09-29-2012, 02:14 AM   #208
huyner328
Bradolf Pittler

My Ride: E90 ///M3, E30 325ic
Send a message via AIM to huyner328
Still a weak argument. It's an opinion, and there are lots of different opinions on screen/performance between the 2.
huyner328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:14 AM   #209
MotorWerkz

My Ride: very cheap Yugo
Send a message via AIM to MotorWerkz
I don't like S3 design, it looks like a teen's phone.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:55 AM   #210
Spiral Prophet
Über-Geek

My Ride: '01 Topaz Blue 330ci
Send a message via AIM to Spiral  Prophet
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorWerkz View Post
I don't like S3 design, it looks like a teen's phone.
granted the iPhone does look better than the S3 from an external design standpoint.. but I'm curious as to why how the phone looks has any weight in a decision?
I could care less what the phone looks like and i'm more interested in its functionality and productivity value.. 90% of the time the phone is in my pocket and i can't see it..
and when i'm using the phone all i care about is if i enjoy looking at the screen.

I suppose the people who really care what the phone looks like are more concerned with what people will think of them based on what phone they're using?
Spiral  Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:17 AM   #211
kaput

My Ride: 2002 M3 SMG
Send a message via AIM to kaput
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiral Prophet View Post
I suppose the people who really care what the phone looks like are more concerned with what people will think of them based on what phone they're using?
Just like those that buy a nice wallet or wear a nice suit are only worried about what others think?

Some people buy with their eyes and minds. Some people think form is as important as function.

This argument is getting annoying. Look at it like a car. Most things are subjective, just like everyone else said, but think of it this way.

You can choose one car or the other. Here are the descriptions of the cars.

Car 1: Reliable fast transportation. Kind of a no frills thing until you modify it, but modifying it is easy, as the parts are everywhere, and cheap. You might see a lot of them on the road, but you rarely see one sitting on the side of the road. It is a good looking car, with a decent fuel tank, nice finish all around, but not setting any records. Parts are available at every gas station and store in the world, but some are a waste of time, and others are useless, but many times, there are gems out there you have to have because so many people have told you how good they are.

Car 2: This car is not as reliable because the manufacturer cannot decide who to buy engines from. I looks interesting, because it is not the norm. Instead of super high quality materials, some cheaper things were used. The good news is that parts are so easy to replace, it's almost like they fall off by themselves, but the bad news is you have to carry the spares in the trunk all the time. Parts have to be special ordered from the garage outside of town, but cost no more than the other, and arrive just as quick, but your choices are limited in the aftermarket.

2002 M3

Last edited by kaput; 09-29-2012 at 10:27 AM.
kaput is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:31 AM   #212
Spiral Prophet
Über-Geek

My Ride: '01 Topaz Blue 330ci
Send a message via AIM to Spiral  Prophet
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaput View Post
Just like those that buy a nice wallet or wear a nice suit are only worried about what others think?

Some people buy with their eyes and minds. Some people think form is as important as function.

This argument is getting annoying.
It wasn't an argument it was just an observation.. Half the people on this board bought a BMW only because it said BMW on it.. So i understand the concept.

However i can understand the logic behind it with cars and suits etc... things that people see constantly and generate a first impression.

However.. I can't see ANYONE generating a first impression on someone because of what the PHONE they pull out of their pocket looks like..
Spiral  Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:03 AM   #213
kaput

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiral Prophet View Post
It wasn't an argument it was just an observation.. Half the people on this board bought a BMW only because it said BMW on it.. So i understand the concept.

However i can understand the logic behind it with cars and suits etc... things that people see constantly and generate a first impression.

However.. I can't see ANYONE generating a first impression on someone because of what the PHONE they pull out of their pocket looks like..
I never thought a wallet makes a first impression, most people don't see it. I understand the BMW thing, but like you I could never understand the phone thing.

Some buy based off of the ease of use, and others buy because they like what it does. A lot of the "hipster" labeling going on in this forum does not apply to anyone here, and is just used as a defense mechanism, when in reality they themselves are calling themselves hipsters. I'm so cool, I don't use what the other hipsters are using.

My only point was that if anyone thinks buying one phone over the other because of an impression or bragging rights is hilarious. The thing I think most people don't understand is that you will not change the minds of those who like what they like. That samsung commercial that is out for the GS3 would never happen, and is actually worse for the samsung image. They are basically saying we are the new hipsters, trolling other phone fans because we have nothing better to do. Pretty neat marketing tactic, but useless.

2002 M3
Old 09-29-2012, 11:52 AM   #214
E36Eric

My Ride: E36
Send a message via AIM to E36Eric
I know a lot of iPhone users and they think the gs3 commercial is funny because it's true. Only the fan boys get butt hurt. Samsung is not hurting their own image. People can make their own decision on a phone that better suits them. Image and peer pressure, apple. Current technology and features, gs3.
Old 09-29-2012, 12:06 PM   #215
kaput

Quote:
Originally Posted by E36Eric View Post
I know a lot of iPhone users and they think the gs3 commercial is funny because it's true. Only the fan boys get butt hurt. Samsung is not hurting their own image. People can make their own decision on a phone that better suits them. Image and peer pressure, apple. Current technology and features, gs3.
I know people that would react like the people in that commercial. I am certainly not one of them. It is funny how samsung is attacking iPhone in their ads, and yet apple is not attacking anyone, and still outselling, still growing market share... Ahead by a "google", last I heard.

2002 M3
Old 09-29-2012, 12:13 PM   #216
simsima325
'a certain moderator'

My Ride: Honda Civic
When will SG3's be delivered with JB4.1?
Old 09-29-2012, 12:25 PM   #217
E36Eric

I was surprised Samsung even made that kind of ad. Iphones are still outselling everyone not because it's better but most people think it looks pretty and their friends have them. The general public does not know technology. They fall for apples marketing and design. My parents and a lot of old people I know have an iPhone. I give apple a lot of credit for making technology dumdums feel significant.
Old 09-29-2012, 12:27 PM   #218
E36Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by simsima325 View Post
Funny you mention this. The #1 iPhone mod is to jail break it. Comical.

Oh, you're talking about jelly bean. My bad.

Last edited by E36Eric; 09-29-2012 at 12:41 PM.
E36Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 01:07 PM   #219
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

My Ride: '99 Techno Violet M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by E36Eric View Post
I was surprised Samsung even made that kind of ad. Iphones are still outselling everyone not because it's better but most people think it looks pretty and their friends have them. The general public does not know technology. They fall for apples marketing and design. My parents and a lot of old people I know have an iPhone. I give apple a lot of credit for making technology dumdums feel significant.
Right, because Apple's current position and market share when it comes to tablets and smartphones has absolutely nothing to do with the design, attention to detail, fit/finish and the simplistic sophistication of iOS? Give me a break. Android OS would not exist in it's current form without the original iPhone changing the market and the subsequent iterations driving new innovation through competition.

Really ignorant statement you made there.

1999 Techno Violet Metallic M3
Bilstein | Kosei K1 Racing | Toyo Proxes R888 | BMW CCA #430881

tock172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 02:13 PM   #220
WerksM3

My Ride: 2002 M3
I ordered mine 2 days ago.

I will report back when I get it if it came with 4.0 or 4.1 Crossing my fingers for 4.1 but who knows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simsima325 View Post