E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-29-2012, 11:56 PM   #21
jeffro3000

My Ride: 2000 328i
I'd probably say the S2 is a little better looking also.

Biggest phone i've held was a gnex and it was fine for me at 4.65"
jeffro3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 12:05 AM   #22
Bimmer330cibro

My Ride: AW 330ci And IR M3
Send a message via AIM to Bimmer330cibro Send a message via MSN to Bimmer330cibro
i read that the version that sprint, verizon and att will get will be a dual core processor and the quad core for t-mobile
Old 05-30-2012, 12:49 AM   #23
CRAZED

My Ride: Toyota
I thought us version only get dual core?
CRAZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 12:51 AM   #24
Bimmer330cibro

Send a message via AIM to Bimmer330cibro Send a message via MSN to Bimmer330cibro
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAZED View Post
I thought us version only get dual core?
Serio? from what i read, since tmobile does not have LTE connection speeds, we will get the quad core?
Old 05-30-2012, 05:41 AM   #25
BimmerJustin
I SHOP @ TURNER MOTORSPORT

My Ride: 02325CI,03MIN,06VW
It is said that Europe will only get the quad core. The US although touting the phone as a quad core...will only receive the dual core....all carriers. We will see. If that is true, I may pick one up before I leave Sicily at the end of June....

Last edited by BimmerJustin; 05-30-2012 at 05:42 AM.
BimmerJustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:37 AM   #26
budman
-not a mod-

My Ride: is your mom
Send a message via AIM to budman Send a message via Yahoo to budman
Tmobile is supposed to get the quad core. Everyone else won't
Old 05-30-2012, 10:28 AM   #27
Tutankhamon

My Ride: '02 Individual 330ci
Send a message via ICQ to Tutankhamon Send a message via AIM to Tutankhamon Send a message via MSN to Tutankhamon
I am of the opinion that the iPhone screen is too small and I hope they move to a 4" or something to that effect. However these giant screens are just a bit too much for a phone IMO. The overall hardware/software experience remains to be seen. They have a long way to go to reach what apple's (even older models) phones can do.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:52 AM   #28
bon3z
OEM ///Member

My Ride: '02 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tutankhamon View Post
I am of the opinion that the iPhone screen is too small and I hope they move to a 4" or something to that effect. However these giant screens are just a bit too much for a phone IMO. The overall hardware/software experience remains to be seen. They have a long way to go to reach what apple's (even older models) phones can do.
you're joking right? you've got that statement backwards.
bon3z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:00 AM   #29
Tutankhamon

My Ride: '02 Individual 330ci
Send a message via ICQ to Tutankhamon Send a message via AIM to Tutankhamon Send a message via MSN to Tutankhamon
Quote:
Originally Posted by bon3z View Post
you're joking right? you've got that statement backwards.
Not joking, but again that's my opinion.

I'm not referring to tech sheets or what the phone can do on paper. I'm more referring to how seemlessly the hardware works with the software. Don't get me wrong, I desperately want to get an Android and release myself from itunes, but after using an S2 for extensive periods of time at work for application development, my experience with that platform has just sucked. Not to mention using the phone, I often get glitches, phone lock ups, stuttering. It lacks the smoothness and overall polish that the iPhone has.

At the end of the day (prior to the S3), if you want a phone that is completely seemless, easy to use with excellent flow and the best platform for application development, you can't beat the iPhone.

Last edited by Tutankhamon; 05-30-2012 at 11:02 AM.
Tutankhamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:01 AM   #30
boostedisbetter

My Ride: 03 S2000
Stop kidding yourself and get an iPhone
Old 05-30-2012, 11:06 AM   #31
DaN_the_MaN

My Ride: 2011 GTR
I think 4.8 is just too big. The Nexus which I have at 4.65 towers over everything else except Samsung Note. I can't even use Iphone anymore because the screen looks so damn small.
DaN_the_MaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:39 AM   #32
Bimmer330cibro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerJustin View Post
It is said that Europe will only get the quad core. The US although touting the phone as a quad core...will only receive the dual core....all carriers. We will see. If that is true, I may pick one up before I leave Sicily at the end of June....
http://www.ubergizmo.com/2012/05/t-m...axy-s3-4-core/

And in the absence of an Exynos chip with built-in 4G LTE, Samsung would have to use 1/an Exynos with an external 4G LTE modem or 2/a non-Samsung dual-core chip, if it wants to ship an LTE quad-core phone to Verizon (some facts point to this) and AT&T. The downside of going with the external modem is two-fold: battery life, and a possible bump in thickness.

Will the USA 4G LTE Samsung Galaxy S3 have the same fate than the HTC One X 4G LTE, which shipped with a dual-core chip instead of the quad-core chip that was demonstrated with at Mobile World Congress? We donít know, but itís possible and it that was the case, T-Mobile would be the only carrier in the USA to feature a quad-core Samsung Galaxy S3, simply because T-Mobile is HSPA+ only, for now. Btw, this is speculation is also valid for the HTC One X.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:41 AM   #33
jeffro3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tutankhamon View Post
Not joking, but again that's my opinion.

I'm not referring to tech sheets or what the phone can do on paper. I'm more referring to how seemlessly the hardware works with the software. Don't get me wrong, I desperately want to get an Android and release myself from itunes, but after using an S2 for extensive periods of time at work for application development, my experience with that platform has just sucked. Not to mention using the phone, I often get glitches, phone lock ups, stuttering. It lacks the smoothness and overall polish that the iPhone has.

At the end of the day (prior to the S3), if you want a phone that is completely seemless, easy to use with excellent flow and the best platform for application development, you can't beat the iPhone.
You must not have used ICS yet. It's a big upgrade from Gingerbread. There are countless Gnex vs. 4S reviews out there outlining the main points of interest, but basically ICS is a turning point for Android, and you can really see it in recent phones, starting with the Gnex. Prior builds like GB and Froyo weren't up to iOS's level in polish, fit and finish. ICS fixes that in addition to the hardware advantage Android has always had, so now that hardware is more effectively utilized. The result then is phones that are making the 4S look pretty dated, and beating it out in feature and performance comparisons. The bar has been raised out of its reach.

Whether Samsung's Touchwiz can maintain a good ICS feel is another issue though. Whether the iPhone 5 will blow past the bar, or struggle to even meet it is another issue also.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:45 PM   #34
cleankutazn

My Ride: Is at the bus stop
^^you're right, been using iPhones since 08 and just got the HTC one x. Couldn't go back to an iPhone.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:16 AM   #35
ryanwhite74115

My Ride: 2011 Hyundai Sonata
One issue with the SGIII that I cannot fathom in design is the home button. ALL OF THE BUTTONS are supposed to be on the screen in ICS for new phones. There aren't supposed to be any hardware buttons for the operating system (obviously ignoring volume & power). I just don't understand...maybe if the screen was 3" or something, where software keys would take up too much precious screen room...but considering this is one of the largest screens on a phone, I just really don't understand it.
ryanwhite74115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:18 AM   #36
jeffro3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwhite74115 View Post
One issue with the SGIII that I cannot fathom in design is the home button. ALL OF THE BUTTONS are supposed to be on the screen in ICS for new phones. There aren't supposed to be any hardware buttons for the operating system (obviously ignoring volume & power). I just don't understand...maybe if the screen was 3" or something, where software keys would take up too much precious screen room...but considering this is one of the largest screens on a phone, I just really don't understand it.
Same here, I thought the software buttons were a great idea. They make the phone look so clean when the screen is off. Gnex is the sexiest looking phone imo because of it. Don't know why other manufacturers are still insisting on physical and capacitive buttons

Sent from my ADR6400L using Bimmer App
Old 05-31-2012, 10:00 AM   #37
'busa

My Ride: E90 335i (sold)
I'm not crazy about the looks. I recently played around with a One X and I think I prefer that. Of course, this is supposed to be much faster, but I had no complaints about speed on the HTC.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:12 AM   #38
jeffro3000

I think HTC Sense is much nicer than Touchwiz also. Especially Sense 4.0 (the newest one, on the One X)

That being said though, i would still probably end up going with a slightly modified vanilla build, like CM9 or something, regardless of what phone i had.
Old 06-02-2012, 04:19 PM   #39
BimmerJustin
I SHOP @ TURNER MOTORSPORT

My Ride: 02325CI,03MIN,06VW
OK...So what do you techies think I should do. They have a quad core unlocked SIII for 699 Euro ($906) for the 16gb or 749 Euro ($1000) for the 32gb. I almost picked one up today but the one place I was at only had them for contract. I am back home and they have them for sale. Now, I can get 2 Ipad3's for that price or a 4S and a 5 when it comes out. What are your guys thoughts?
Old 06-02-2012, 04:40 PM   #40
jeffro3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerJustin View Post
OK...So what do you techies think I should do. They have a quad core unlocked SIII for 699 Euro ($906) for the 16gb or 749 Euro ($1000) for the 32gb. I almost picked one up today but the one place I was at only had them for contract. I am back home and they have them for sale. Now, I can get 2 Ipad3's for that price or a 4S and a 5 when it comes out. What are your guys thoughts?
I'd definitely skip on the 4s at this point, and if you go with an s3, get the lower storage capacity. Cloud storage is negating the need for lots of local capacity.

When the iphone 5 comes out, you can decide if it's worth switching or not and possibly sell the S3. I bet if you can root the S3 though, you'll be set for awhile. Maybe until the S4 lol

Sent from my ADR6400L using Bimmer App