E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-30-2012, 02:17 PM   #1
reupgang

My Ride: 2000 323i
Unhappy Rattle sound when accel out of 1st and 2nd...Thoughts??!

00 323 5mt 157k

replaced within the last 15k:
spark plugs
belts
ofh gasket
valve gasket
oil pan gasket
intake boots + icv & maf cleaning
fuel pump
fuel filter
clutch
catalytic converters
engine mounts
all fluids drained and replaced/

now when i accelerate out of 1st and second gear, i hear a brief but very noticeable rattle, chatter, clingclingcling sound. could this be a sign my tranny is failing? also, i am experiencing a whistle noise coming from the right side (when facing the engine). I check the intake system and there aren't any leaks that are noticeable to me. Vanos seals? disa? I'm stumped...I don't mind putting some tlc into the car but between the rattle and whistle noise i dont know what else to do. *also, i dont know if its just the 323 engine, but it runs pretty loud, especially in 1st and 2nd. Is this just a trait of an old e46?

Last edited by reupgang; 05-30-2012 at 05:36 PM.
reupgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:28 PM   #2
///MPR77

My Ride: 02 ///M3 Tri-Ped
A bad clutch will chatter, when you break inertia, but I see you have had that replaced though.

Bewahren Sie ihre ultimative fahrmaschine

Last edited by ///MPR77; 05-30-2012 at 02:30 PM.
///MPR77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 02:33 PM   #3
reupgang

i could have gotten effed over by a sf shop (but i hope not). my clutch went out on me while shifting from 4th to 5th and the car went dead (on but not responsive). took it to well reviewed by yelp shop thinking id be safe.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:51 PM   #4
///MPR77

I can tell you at 287k miles my engine sounds healthy, so I would not say its normal for a well maintained engine to run loud with high miles
The whistle can be your CCV plenty of info on that to be found, as this is common.
The chatter associated with a bad clutch, will, in my experience be felt as well. I wouldn't assume that you got screwed over by a shop, when it is most likely something else.

Last edited by ///MPR77; 05-30-2012 at 02:54 PM.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:50 PM   #5
Hornung418

My Ride: '04 MB ZHP
Sounds like engine mounts and Transmission mounts need yo be replaced. There is a heat shield on the passenger mount that will contact the engine support arm.

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer App
Old 05-30-2012, 05:36 PM   #6
reupgang

i forgot to add that the engine mounts have also been changed (less than 3k ago when I replaced the cats). Any other info about transmission mounts? the sound only occurs in 1st and 2nd under light acceleration.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:47 PM   #7
///MPR77

Does the cling cling sound resemble a bell dinging sound?(diff)

What area(s) do these sounds come from?

Do you feel anything directly related to this sound when it occurs?

Last edited by ///MPR77; 05-30-2012 at 07:26 PM.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:37 AM   #8
reupgang

I thought I heard the chatter come from behind, mid portion, driver side. But I can't be for certain. When I accelerate I can sometimes feel slight hesitation between 2-3k, but then it pulls normally.

I feel like the car drives good - it's just loud with the chatter, whistle, and overall loudness under acceleration. I see 325s all the time and they're quite as a mouse.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:14 AM   #9
///MPR77

The chatter coming from that part of the car does sound like a clutch issue, especially with the hesitation that accompanies the sound. I have never had a clutch that slipped, so I can't say for sure that is what's happening though.

I would check the engine support, and the cross member brace below the trans if those were to come loose, it could possibly chatter as well.

The Guibo (flex disc) is in the same area too, but you would feel vibration at your gearshift. "You can jack the car up and see the guibo without removing anything."
But again if you are not feeling vibration, thats probably not it.

The CSB Center support bearing is further back mid-car which too would be vibrating and thumping, from what you're describing, this is probably fine.

The Dinging bell sound I was asking about was a hunch. I experienced this sound coming from the diff, when the external torx worked their way loose, and would knock on the metal cover: making a ding sound.

Anyways, Good Luck.

Last edited by ///MPR77; 05-31-2012 at 10:21 AM.