E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-30-2012, 07:02 PM   #1
JosephEspinoza

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330i sedan
E46 Won't start

I have a BMW 330i sedan 2002 it was running good and one day i parked it and went in side the house for 10-15 mins came back out because i was going some where and it wouldn't turn on all the lights on the dash turn on radio outside lights everything the car just wont start it doesn't even attempt to turn on I've seen alot of these post but every one seems to say its the battery. I've also heard it might be the anti-theft/ alarm or something or also where i put the key. Here's a video on youtube of exactly what my car does it is not my video though it says it might be the starter
If it is how would i be able to fix it
JosephEspinoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:07 PM   #2
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
yep starter then if not cranking at all but just clicks. can you push start it? (manual?)

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:09 PM   #3
JosephEspinoza

No its automatic but in that video you can see the lights at the end flicker mine doesn't do that just in case that matters and i also read i could be the key

Last edited by JosephEspinoza; 05-30-2012 at 07:19 PM.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:20 PM   #4
JosephEspinoza

No its automatic but in that video you can see the lights at the end flicker mine doesn't do that just in case that matters and i also read i could be the key
Old 05-31-2012, 09:49 AM   #5
grenade46

My Ride: 2000 323ci
Have you tried taking the keys out of the ignition, locking the car, unlocking it an then trying to start it again? My car 00' 323ci (manual) will not start from time to time...so I just do as I mentioned. I have no idea what causes this but I assure you it works for me...security system? no idea...hope this helps
Old 06-25-2012, 01:37 AM   #6
JosephEspinoza

Yea it wasn't the starter what i did was unplug the battery for 30+mins maybe even an hour then plugged the battery and the car started I'm pretty sure it has somethin to do with the alarm anti theft maybe ?
Old 06-25-2012, 03:34 AM   #7
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
I would keep an eye on it. Maybe you did not have a good connection on the battery. But I would not be surprised if it happens again, and your battery is going dead. How old is it? If it is original, then it is probably the battery. And it is not unusual for them to work fine right up to the point that they stop working. Mine never showed a single sign of dying until I went to start it about an hour after I got home, and it was dead. Since you are in Houston, it would not suprise me if the summer heat is contributing to the problem, and killing off an already old battery. Mine also died on a particularly hot day. If you are still on an original battery, then I would go ahead and get a new one while you can still drive it to the parts store.
Of course, it is possible it is the starter. They can fail the same way, working fine up to the point that they don't. But look at it this way - you have a 10 year old battery, assuming it is original, and it will need to be changed VERY soon, if not now. If you replace it, and still have the issue, then you can look into diagnosing the starter. But I would hesitate to say it is definitely your starter, based on what you have experienced.
As far as it being an anti-theft issue, I am not an expert on the system, but it would not be a very effective anti-theft system if all the criminals had to do was disconnect the battery for 30 mins. I may be wrong, but that just does not seem to make very much sense.
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
e46