E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-31-2012, 08:23 PM   #1
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Thumbs Up New M54B30 330i Big Bore Throttle Body Option: Need Three Interested Parties!

I approached German Auto Solutions about making a big bore throttle body for our cars, and they are interested! German Auto Solutions makes the phenomenal DISA repair kit that I, aggie and others have installed.

So here's the scoop:

Our stock throttle body has an internal diameter of 68mm and an outer diameter of 73.5mm. German Auto Solutions proposes a 72.5mm bore- as the best compromise between a safe wall thickness and a good flow increase.

This is a 14% area increase over stock.

Production prices are not yet figured out but they should be south of $400. German Auto Solutions would like three interested parties to mail in a $100 deposit to fund the tooling cost, at which point they would machine the throttle plates and develop a prototype. The first (beta) batch should cost around $300 each- although that could change.

If anything goes wrong these initial deposits will be refunded. They clearly stated they will not do core exchanges, and would like to service existing, working throttle bodies. Turnaround time should be around 48 hours in their shop.

If interested please post here, I think for now three will be the limit although I need to check to be sure.

1. zhp43867

Gary at German Auto Solutions told me this about why they do not want to do core exchanges:

Quote:
Thanks,

Please explain in the post the reason for not wanting to do core exchanges. If you sent in a very low mileage throttle body as a core, and received back a bored, very high mileage throttle body, which failed 3 months later due to a bad internal TPS or servo motor, you would be very upset and probably not very happy with German Auto Solutions. Since the TPS and servo motor (which cannot be purchased separately) stay with the throttle body core, I don't see any other way to prevent the previous explained scenario from happening. More than anything else I am trying to create a 100% confidence, and customer satisfaction level with our customers. If someone had a problem with a purchased (core exchanged) throttle body due to failed internal electrical parts which I cannot warranty, that would reflect poorly on our reputation. What I can offer, if there is enough market for these, are bored brand new throttle bodies for less than what Dinan sells them for. I could also look into making brand new 75mm billet throttle bodies which will accept the servo motor and TPS from an existing OEM unit. Those would probably run in the $500.00 range and you would have to send in your stock unit for us to swap the internal electronics.

"All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest."

Last edited by Grande D; 05-31-2012 at 09:58 PM.
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:55 PM   #2
SUHLeen

My Ride: 2005 Saleen Mustang
If I can get a core refund from mine of say $100, I would do it and drop the deposit. So basically I'd be out $200 I think that sounds fair, we both benefit!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Bimmer

- Phil
11 335is - TT 7 spd DCT daily :)
05 Saleen Mustang - forged, stroked, blown,... and on some juice
01 BMW 330ci - Totaled by some bish!
Financial Help
SUHLeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:00 PM   #3
Grande D

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUHLeen View Post
If I can get a core refund from mine of say $100, I would do it and drop the deposit. So basically I'd be out $200 I think that sounds fair, we both benefit!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Bimmer
What? They do not want to do any cores. It would be a $100 deposit towards a total cost of around $300 for the first batch. They already have M54B30 throttle bodies for doing the production but want to make sure there is substantial interest, and get the deposits for the development cost.

"All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest."

Last edited by Grande D; 05-31-2012 at 09:01 PM.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:56 PM   #4
TrippinBimmer

My Ride: ZHP Custom Stage 3.5
Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
To be honest. Me and Brady have the MaxBore. I honestly feel its not worth it...
TrippinBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:19 PM   #5
Hornung418

My Ride: '04 MB ZHP
Yeah I contacted him about a similar product for M52tu engines that have swapped the B30 Manifold. He makes the cable driven throttle body in M54 bore and fitment, but the DSC and the Cruise control would be hard to integrate. Unfortunately, the head is restrictive and unless you've got it ported and polished, the bigger TB really won't do much.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:45 AM   #6
lejeunebimmer

My Ride: 02' M3 SMG, 02' 330i
I would be, but I'm focusing on Suspenion this year. Plus Brady only showed a 1rwhp increase, which could be due to any number of factors.
330i - AA Tuned, Headers, UUC Stage I LW FW, e36 M3 Clutch, UUC SS Clutch line, BMW Performance Intake, Evo Sport Pulleys, BMW Performance Cross-Drilled Rotors, Hawk HPS, BW SS Brake Lines, BW Solid Guide Bushings, BMW Performance CF Strut Brace, H&R Sways, H&R Sport Springs, Bilstein Sport Shocks, Powerflex Bushings, LED Tails, Clear Sides/Turns, Black Grill, Mtech 2, CF Splitters

M3 - Not enough room to list
lejeunebimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:10 AM   #7
Grande D

Grrr, dont make me pay the three deposits myself! I will do a before and after dyno- same dyno- no other modifications- same wheels- same gasoline- everything (with 1 week in between for adaptations) if we can get this off the ground.

How much is the Maxbore throttle body bored out? Dinan's throttle body seems to provide real results, so maybe Maxbore did not do a good job?

Last edited by Grande D; 06-01-2012 at 07:13 AM.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:50 AM   #8
aggieE46
Keep it clean

My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
Maxbore was as big as, if not bigger than Dinan. I measured it at some point.

Maxbore did a fine job.

I really think the reason my dyno didn't show any gains was because of my intake. I think that's one reason that I had such nice gains when I installed the long tube.

I've always justified it by realizing that Dinan wouldn't make the part if it didn't have some merits.

I'm sure GAS will make a FINE solution for Fanatics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhp43867 View Post
Grrr, dont make me pay the three deposits myself! I will do a before and after dyno- same dyno- no other modifications- same wheels- same gasoline- everything (with 1 week in between for adaptations) if we can get this off the ground.

How much is the Maxbore throttle body bored out? Dinan's throttle body seems to provide real results, so maybe Maxbore did not do a good job?
Old 06-02-2012, 10:34 PM   #9
Grande D

Bump!

Old 06-04-2012, 07:59 AM   #10
howesE46

My Ride: 2003 330ci
Interested. Put me on the list. Will this require any tuning to see benefits?
howesE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 02:52 AM   #11
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
I am in. PM me with details. Does that make 3 of us?
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 02:12 PM   #12
330Cole

My Ride: 01' 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by howesE46 View Post
Interested. Put me on the list. Will this require any tuning to see benefits?
I second all of this
  • Lemforder ZHP HD Control Arms
  • Meyle HD FCAB
  • TMS Subframe Reinforcement kit
  • TMS Swaybars F/R & Adjustable Endlinks
  • 3.38 Open Diff
  • BMW Performance SSK
  • BB Gen 3 Headers
  • Eisenmann Race Exhaust
  • 3.5" Longtube CAI
  • 3.5" Conforti Eurosport Filter
  • Shark Injector
  • Stoptech Slotted Rotors
  • TMS SS Brakelines
  • ST Sport Pads
330Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:55 PM   #13
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
I think this can help if you have FI and/or ported heads. Otherwise, I don't see the value.
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 04:09 PM   #14
Grande D

What in the.... I don't even.....

This thread is alive?!?!?!

Old 08-07-2012, 04:29 PM   #15
330Cole

My Ride: 01' 330Ci
Quote:

YUS! and you can put me on the list
  • Lemforder ZHP HD Control Arms
  • Meyle HD FCAB
  • TMS Subframe Reinforcement kit
  • TMS Swaybars F/R & Adjustable Endlinks
  • 3.38 Open Diff
  • BMW Performance SSK
  • BB Gen 3 Headers
  • Eisenmann Race Exhaust
  • 3.5" Longtube CAI
  • 3.5" Conforti Eurosport Filter
  • Shark Injector
  • Stoptech Slotted Rotors
  • TMS SS Brakelines
  • ST Sport Pads
330Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:19 AM   #16
MJLavelle

Quote:

So, is this still a possibility?
Old 08-09-2012, 12:52 PM   #17
Grande D

I would guess the answer is yes- I guess I'll contact him. I kinda put the money elsewhere but I can probably get it together. I'll contact him soon.

Old 08-09-2012, 03:17 PM   #18
MJLavelle

Quote:
I would guess the answer is yes- I guess I'll contact him. I kinda put the money elsewhere but I can probably get it together. I'll contact him soon.
If all you need is the initial $100 to get things going, I can loan you that for 30 days through PayPal. I am trusting that I will get it back.