E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum

The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum
Use this forum to discuss anything in relation to wheels to tires to offsets.
Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-31-2012, 10:15 PM   #21
biMMer4.4i
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 274
My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie.k View Post
i have 18x8.5 ET +15 fronts and 18x9.5 ET +25 rears wrapped in 225/40 all around, im lowered on coilovers and guards are rolled... at this height it only scrubs if i have people in the car and im taking corners pretty hard. if i was to go any lower it would scrub for sure. I'm thinking about getting guards re-rolled as there could be a 'cleaner' roll in the rear.

Looks good. Thanks for the info.

Sent from my PC36100 using Bimmer App
biMMer4.4i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:16 PM   #22
biMMer4.4i
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 274
My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBoy323i View Post
BMW's seem to have a smaller lip on the fender than most cars ive noticed, people already think we're rolled
Ive noticed it too on my car. I was curious one day and looked at the inner lip and it felt/ looked pretty rolled already being stock

Sent from my PC36100 using Bimmer App
biMMer4.4i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:25 PM   #23
peytonracer4
:D
 
peytonracer4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Valparaiso, IN
Posts: 6,548
My Ride: '00 328i
Oh yeah I forgot about stretched tires. You can get a few extra mm of wheel width with stretched tires. Although extremely stretched just looks kinda dumb.
__________________
choose to click or forever hold your peace ;)
peytonracer4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:42 PM   #24
steve.k
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NSW, Australia
Posts: 1,329
My Ride: 05' 325Ci, 13' WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
Oh yeah I forgot about stretched tires. You can get a few extra mm of wheel width with stretched tires. Although extremely stretched just looks kinda dumb.
what?? no it doesn't! LOL

steve.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:45 PM   #25
EverydayGetaway
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Annapolis, MD
Posts: 1,223
My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
__________________
EverydayGetaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:46 PM   #26
kevbot
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 14
My Ride: 325ci
heres mine, 18x8.5 et47 225/40r18 front 18x9.5 et45 255/35r18 out back 10 mm spacers all around, will be going with lower offset here pretty soon and more tire stretch within the next month..

kevbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:10 PM   #27
biMMer4.4i
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 274
My Ride: 2002 330i
That looks fantastic. I'll probably end up going with something similar to your setup with some stretch in the tires just for looks. Idk how tire stretch affects performance though.

Sent from my PC36100 using Bimmer App
biMMer4.4i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:27 PM   #28
kevbot
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 14
My Ride: 325ci
thank you.id recommend a 245/35r18 out back for less rubbing but its not that bad.
kevbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:55 AM   #29
Mango
A full five stars, son
 
Mango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22,906
My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by SH330CI View Post
And by slightly rolling fenders my fenders at a shop and not going crazy, please enlighten me as to what disaster I should expect when I have owned and driven this car for going on 5 years and 104k miles with no such "disaster".
Disaster doesn't only mean your car exploding. It means flaking/chipping paint, mismatched fender/bumper cover, inconsistency left to right. You know, aesthetics.

Not that you'd care about that anyway
__________________
A lifetime free of problems if you follow my guides
Cooling | Maintenance | Suspension | Vacuum | Supreme Reliability | Details

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 01:00 AM   #30
Mango
A full five stars, son
 
Mango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22,906
My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie.k View Post
i have 18x8.5 ET +15 fronts and 18x9.5 ET +25 rears wrapped in 225/40 all around, im lowered on coilovers and guards are rolled... at this height it only scrubs if i have people in the car and im taking corners pretty hard. if i was to go any lower it would scrub for sure. I'm thinking about getting guards re-rolled as there could be a 'cleaner' roll in the rear.

This is what I mean about reduced functionality/danger. A car isn't a car if it can't move and/or move safely. Having your tires rub against a fine steel edge isn't safe. You're also f*ing up your car.
__________________
A lifetime free of problems if you follow my guides
Cooling | Maintenance | Suspension | Vacuum | Supreme Reliability | Details

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 01:10 AM   #31
JohnIBarr01
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Knoxville, TN; Apex, NC
Posts: 582
My Ride: ZHP 6MT, Mk.6, Jeep
So much retardation in this thread. Leave the stance crowd to the Volkswagen guys and enjoy a BMW as the ultimate driving machine. Otherwise, I can find you a great deal on a Mk.3 Jetta 8V here in Tennessee that would be perfect for all your retarded stance dreams.
__________________
Pat Summitt Foundation | VWvortex | V2Lab | Twitter | Facebook
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreenspanator
Let me guess: This doesn't happen in Germany
JohnIBarr01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 01:13 AM   #32
Mango
A full five stars, son
 
Mango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22,906
My Ride: M54B30
hah hah hah! pretty much!
__________________
A lifetime free of problems if you follow my guides
Cooling | Maintenance | Suspension | Vacuum | Supreme Reliability | Details

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 01:42 AM   #33
MJLavelle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Charlotte NC
Posts: 2,753
My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by biMMer4.4i View Post
Idk how tire stretch affects performance though.
Sent from my PC36100 using Bimmer App
It has a negative effect on performance. You can't push the car too hard if your tires are already hanging by a thread, just to stay on the wheel. Get some nice wheels. Drop the car a bit. Maybe even some spacers, if you feel the need. But put on some damn tires that fit the wheel.
Exceed the boundaries on any of these, and you are just using the car as something to hang the wheels and tires on, and you will have to adjust how you drive the car to accommodate them. If you have to consider scrubbing, bottoming out, or breaking the bead on the tire before you push the limits on the car, then you have crossed the line of what driving a BMW is all about. At that point, you may as well have just any other average car attached to those wheels, since you can not use it as God intended.
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 01:54 AM   #34
prisonerofdoom83
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: palmdale
Posts: 169
My Ride: E46 E30 Tacoma
that video up there with that celica is ridiculous
__________________
prisonerofdoom83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:41 AM   #35
G-Hots
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 991
My Ride: ///M3 & 328ci & X3
Send a message via AIM to G-Hots Send a message via MSN to G-Hots
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnIBarr01 View Post
So much retardation in this thread. Leave the stance crowd to the Volkswagen guys and enjoy a BMW as the ultimate driving machine. Otherwise, I can find you a great deal on a Mk.3 Jetta 8V here in Tennessee that would be perfect for all your retarded stance dreams.
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
Stancing=r!cing. Don't do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
I bet if fenders were rolled at the factory, people would still roll them. No body panel should ever be altered, stretched, poked, or rolled, in my opinion. Just a recipe for disaster. Just a caution to some so they don't damage their cars
+1
G-Hots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:35 AM   #36
Mango
A full five stars, son
 
Mango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22,906
My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJLavelle View Post
It has a negative effect on performance. You can't push the car too hard if your tires are already hanging by a thread, just to stay on the wheel. Get some nice wheels. Drop the car a bit. Maybe even some spacers, if you feel the need. But put on some damn tires that fit the wheel.
Exceed the boundaries on any of these, and you are just using the car as something to hang the wheels and tires on, and you will have to adjust how you drive the car to accommodate them. If you have to consider scrubbing, bottoming out, or breaking the bead on the tire before you push the limits on the car, then you have crossed the line of what driving a BMW is all about. At that point, you may as well have just any other average car attached to those wheels, since you can not use it as God intended.
Amen, brother.
__________________
A lifetime free of problems if you follow my guides
Cooling | Maintenance | Suspension | Vacuum | Supreme Reliability | Details

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:56 AM   #37
S85FTW
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Easton, CT
Posts: 517
My Ride: E60 M5 & F30 328XI
Send a message via AIM to S85FTW
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
Disaster doesn't only mean your car exploding. It means flaking/chipping paint, mismatched fender/bumper cover, inconsistency left to right. You know, aesthetics.

Not that you'd care about that anyway
Just because I have carbon fiber on my car doesnt mean I dont care about aesthetics. I mod my car to my liking, not yours and yes I do try to keep it clean. You can flame about the hood and hood pins, but I was trying to do what not many have been able to accomplish; a cf m3 hood on a facelift coupe. A persons car is always a work in progress and since I got my style 5s the zhp will be undergoing aesthetic changes to suit the wheels.

That being said I do agree that too much of anything is bad, but if you are just flattening the inner lip of the fenders to give it a little bit more of a flush look, then go for it. You will not suffer on the road or track because of it.
__________________
S85FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:59 AM   #38
Snik
OEM ///Member
 
Snik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Around SJ AFB, NC
Posts: 20,774
My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
when will people learn to not ask these things in the general E46 forum.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohde88 View Post
^^^ do you spend all your free time on two wheels?
______________________________________
The Snikster posted sexy wiminz here
Do you ride a sportbike?
Do you have a question about Jamaica? Ask?
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:09 AM   #39
biMMer4.4i
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 274
My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnIBarr01 View Post
So much retardation in this thread. Leave the stance crowd to the Volkswagen guys and enjoy a BMW as the ultimate driving machine. Otherwise, I can find you a great deal on a Mk.3 Jetta 8V here in Tennessee that would be perfect for all your retarded stance dreams.
I would if I didn't give a damn how my car performs

Sent from my PC36100 using Bimmer App
biMMer4.4i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:12 AM   #40
Mango
A full five stars, son
 
Mango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22,906
My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by SH330CI View Post
Just because I have carbon fiber on my car doesnt mean I dont care about aesthetics. I mod my car to my liking, not yours and yes I do try to keep it clean. You can flame about the hood and hood pins, but I was trying to do what not many have been able to accomplish; a cf m3 hood on a facelift coupe. A persons car is always a work in progress and since I got my style 5s the zhp will be undergoing aesthetic changes to suit the wheels.

That being said I do agree that too much of anything is bad, but if you are just flattening the inner lip of the fenders to give it a little bit more of a flush look, then go for it. You will not suffer on the road or track because of it.
Like I said, I prefer not to butcher my car. It's a BMW--not a cow that's just been slaughtered.
__________________
A lifetime free of problems if you follow my guides
Cooling | Maintenance | Suspension | Vacuum | Supreme Reliability | Details

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use