E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum

The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum
Use this forum to discuss anything in relation to wheels to tires to offsets.
Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2012, 11:14 AM   #41
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
you know whats funny, 95% of the people going on about ruining the cars handling dont autoX. they just commute in their 3s.
The ones that wanna go stane, just wanna commute closer to the ground.
I mean, at the end of the day, if thats what people want to do with thier cars, fukin let them. why is it every single time someone asks about any type of low drop or aggressive fitting wheels, it has to go into this drawn out, i hate r1c3r, or stance type BS. why?

I think thopse of you that hate it have made it pretty obviousl by now, wehy do you keep repeating yourselves?
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:34 AM   #42
biMMer4.4i

My Ride: 2002 330i
I probably just need to be more specific with my thread titles. As soon as I say one thing wrong my thread gets butcher when I'm looking for serious info. Some people get it and I thank them...but others don't.

Sent from my PC36100 using Bimmer App
biMMer4.4i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:46 AM   #43
biMMer4.4i

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie.k View Post
i have 18x8.5 ET +15 fronts and 18x9.5 ET +25 rears wrapped in 225/40 all around, im lowered on coilovers and guards are rolled... at this height it only scrubs if i have people in the car and im taking corners pretty hard. if i was to go any lower it would scrub for sure. I'm thinking about getting guards re-rolled as there could be a 'cleaner' roll in the rear.

Are those 7 series wheels? They look good.

Old 06-01-2012, 11:58 AM   #44
jaymemaurice

My Ride: 01 330ci, 03 Passat
Quote:
Originally Posted by snikwad View Post
why is it every single time someone asks about any type of low drop or aggressive fitting wheels, it has to go into this drawn out, i hate r1c3r, or stance type BS. why?

I think thopse of you that hate it have made it pretty obviousl by now, wehy do you keep repeating yourselves?
You've obviously not been stuck behind the asshat who spends 4 minutes trying get their car over a speed bump or been sideswiped by the douche running low profile summer tires in the winter because he spent so much money on his fancy rims he doesn't have proper winter tires. Or, when you go to sell your car you find yourself competing on dozens of adds of "stanced out" BMWs - buyers waste your time because your well maintained cars without holes in the trunk for the wing you don't have is asking more money.

Rain Sensor Retrofit: Here
Coupe Headline Replacement: Here
jaymemaurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:01 PM   #45
biMMer4.4i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymemaurice View Post
You've obviously not been stuck behind the asshat who spends 4 minutes trying get their car over a speed bump or been sideswiped by the douche running low profile summer tires in the winter because he spent so much money on his fancy rims he doesn't have proper winter tires. Or, when you go to sell your car you find yourself competing on dozens of adds of "stanced out" BMWs - buyers waste your time because your well maintained cars without holes in the trunk for the wing you don't have is asking more money.
Haha, that's me because my town makes 12inch speed bumps and my tires are garbage.

Old 06-01-2012, 12:06 PM   #46
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
Am I the only one that sees the same person asking the question giving the right answers? The OP seems to answer his own question, and it _looks_ like he already has a car with the tire package he thinks he wants. I must be confused, again. Sucks to be old...
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:07 PM   #47
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
Quote:
i have had to wait for several people to go over speed bumps, but i dont drive a big 4x4 truck either, so i have to slow down for them too. It doesnt bother me, what bothers me more is people that come to a full stop before turning or those that begin slowing down then hit their turn lane.

im not worried bout selling my car.... for 1, there are 2 different buyer types, those that want it already slammed and those that dont. Youre not really competing with each other.
Besides if the BMW is so perfect as you all make it seem, why the hell would you sell it.

and sideswiped by someone who has the wrong tire, uhm, no, there isnt that much snow around here, and news flash, summer tires in winter is not restricted to people who have stance cars, ive seen plenty of minivans do that.

PS., generally those that are serious about stance, and have harsh winters than need winter tires, those guys generally take off their good wheels to avoid the salt fukin them up....

so yeah...
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:11 PM   #48
biMMer4.4i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdstrickland View Post
Am I the only one that sees the same person asking the question giving the right answers? The OP seems to answer his own question, and it _looks_ like he already has a car with the tire package he thinks he wants. I must be confused, again. Sucks to be old...
It's usuallly the comments that make me realize the answer and I don't have wheels and tires yet, I'm trying to figure out what to buy

Old 06-01-2012, 12:15 PM   #49
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Buy stock M68s and be done w/ it. Or ZHPs or some high-quality 17" strong, light track wheels like LTW5s.

no need to stance, pop, or tweak. that's teenage and produces teenaged results.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:23 PM   #50
biMMer4.4i

That's ok because I'm 16. The first couple of cars though that people posted pics of are what I'm going for though. Lowered and clean.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:25 PM   #51
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Ahh. I understand now.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:31 PM   #52
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by biMMer4.4i View Post
It's usuallly the comments that make me realize the answer and I don't have wheels and tires yet, I'm trying to figure out what to buy

Fair enough...

Here's a link to the Factory Options, http://felgenkatalog.auto-treff.com/.

You can cruise the list for style and size. The proper fitment in any width or diameter is given. You should find that your car has several 18" wheel packages in 8- and 9-inch widths. Your car will easily handle 17s, and will tolerate 18s pretty well. My personal belief is that you should steer clear of 19s, but there are some 19" packages that actually look pretty cool. Personally, I would avoid any tire package that had me stretch a relatively narrow tire onto a much wider wheel. I would use a wheel that is 3/4" narrower than the tire, give or take. I have a 7.5-inch wide tire on my car with the 225/45 mounted to it. This tire should not be fitted to a rim that is more than 8 inches wide. If you cruise through the many E46 tire packages, you will see the relationship to the tire width to the rim width. You expressed pleasure at a tire package that looks like the wheels came from a 7 Series, and while it did look okay, the package violates my personal rule regarding stretched tires. It might be okay for other people to do it, but I wouldn't do it in a million years.

I have the Style 22 wheels with BFGoodrich gForce Sports. The look is very clean, and no mods are required.

Last edited by jdstrickland; 06-01-2012 at 12:34 PM.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:41 PM   #53
biMMer4.4i

Ya I noticed he had 225s on 8.5inch wheels

Old 06-01-2012, 03:06 PM   #54
musicisfree

My Ride: 2004 BMW 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
Stancing=r!cing. Don't do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnIBarr01 View Post
So much retardation in this thread. Leave the stance crowd to the Volkswagen guys and enjoy a BMW as the ultimate driving machine. Otherwise, I can find you a great deal on a Mk.3 Jetta 8V here in Tennessee that would be perfect for all your retarded stance dreams.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJLavelle View Post
It has a negative effect on performance. You can't push the car too hard if your tires are already hanging by a thread, just to stay on the wheel. Get some nice wheels. Drop the car a bit. Maybe even some spacers, if you feel the need. But put on some damn tires that fit the wheel.
Exceed the boundaries on any of these, and you are just using the car as something to hang the wheels and tires on, and you will have to adjust how you drive the car to accommodate them. If you have to consider scrubbing, bottoming out, or breaking the bead on the tire before you push the limits on the car, then you have crossed the line of what driving a BMW is all about. At that point, you may as well have just any other average car attached to those wheels, since you can not use it as God intended.
+ 1 Heed their advice, it's cool to add some aggression to the look of your car but keep it classy and leave the herra frush look to ricers.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:18 PM   #55
328redleather

My Ride: 328ci white/red
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie.k View Post
i have 18x8.5 ET +15 fronts and 18x9.5 ET +25 rears wrapped in 225/40 all around, im lowered on coilovers and guards are rolled... at this height it only scrubs if i have people in the car and im taking corners pretty hard. if i was to go any lower it would scrub for sure. I'm thinking about getting guards re-rolled as there could be a 'cleaner' roll in the rear.

are those style 95 reps? i thought they were only were 19s

2000 328ci alpine white on tannin red leather
328redleather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 03:03 AM   #56
S85FTW

My Ride: E60 M5 & F30 328XI
Send a message via AIM to S85FTW
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
Like I said, I prefer not to butcher my car. It's a BMW--not a cow that's just been slaughtered.
Hahaha I find this response amusing. Just because you have been on here since 06 and have over 6k posts means nothing to me. I have had three BMWs before you even signed onto this forum. You can hide behind your oem look because you can't afford any decent mods. Your typical response will be "I spend my money on maintenance and upkeep". Well guess what so do I, just ask any mechanics at JG Technik how I take care of my car. You may think my car is a slaughtered cow but guess what, I could turn around tomorrow And sell my style 5s and easily get 5 sets of your precious M68s. Guess what? I think your mtech 1 bumper with lip is hideous as well but didn't say anything until you tried passing around your judgmental holier than thou mentality. Be quiet from now on young one, pick a teenager to pick on, not a real BMW enthusiast.
Old 06-02-2012, 03:18 AM   #57
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Meh, I absolutely hate stance and everything else along those lines... but I did take my time going over speed bumps even with stock suspension. Even when stock many speed bumps caused me to scrape in my old ZHP and the M3.
Old 10-27-2012, 05:00 PM   #58
always-there

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330I
There's a lot of info here, I like that. I can see there are a plenty of disagreements here, and it was well expected when I read the first couple of posts. Everyone has their own personal opinions in certain topics an what not, but to bash other enthusiasts/fanatics, is a no-no. I hear the word "*****" a lot and frankly, it's old, get over it. Honestly, I like some of the Stance Nation cars they upload everyday. And why? Because I can appreciate their passion, I understand. Now personally, I'm more inclined towards the raw high powered, high performance street Bimmers, but that's just me. I would love to be involved in the autocross/touge type of thing. I just don't understand most of you guys here, always arguing about stupid things. You all just can't learn from each other and talk about the **** that interest's you. You know, the **** that got you into loving cars, or why you mod yours the way you do. In the end, all we do is improve. At least that's what I want to do, improve the crap outta' my car so I can push it to it's limits. I don't know what to tell you guys who bash others...just don't post if you're going to talk crap.
always-there is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:46 PM   #59
lucky_doggg7

My Ride: 2005 M3
Whatever wheel you buy, just make sure it's a good one, meaning that it minimally carries a JWL/VIA and or TUV certification. The first is a Japanese Ministry of Roads or something similar and the second a well known German agency similar to Underwriters Laboratory here in America. With at least one, preferably both certifications, you'll know your wheel is a quality one. There's plenty of inexpensive wheels floating around that likely don't have either certification; I'd stay far and very clear of those wheels and so should you. It's a safety issue so keep your wits about you when you buy.
lucky_doggg7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:31 PM   #60
E5-E46

My Ride: 04 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by S85FTW View Post
Hahaha I find this response amusing. Just because you have been on here since 06 and have over 6k posts means nothing to me. I have had three BMWs before you even signed onto this forum. You can hide behind your oem look because you can't afford any decent mods. Your typical response will be "I spend my money on maintenance and upkeep". Well guess what so do I, just ask any mechanics at JG Technik how I take care of my car. You may think my car is a slaughtered cow but guess what, I could turn around tomorrow And sell my style 5s and easily get 5 sets of your precious M68s. Guess what? I think your mtech 1 bumper with lip is hideous as well but didn't say anything until you tried passing around your judgmental holier than thou mentality. Be quiet from now on young one, pick a teenager to pick on, not a real BMW enthusiast.
OWNED!

Anyway, TO THE OP, kid don't get down nor pay attention to anyone here. We all go through different fazes in life. Hell I myself have done the whole ***** scene on my old 01 Celica but I learned after quiet some time. Along the way the FORUM is about learning about your car and being in an enthusiast community that supports you. If you make friends on here its cause they let you do what you like and as you learn and grow up, they'll point out how you used to be and where you may be at in that moment. Stance can be completed without having to absurdly stretching a tire. Roll your fenders and run camber anywhere from 2*-3.5* and have some nice beefy tires that might have a SLIGHT stretch. I was going to do a good amount of stretch and slam on my car, but I have simply decided that I want to keep the drivability of my car. so ill be running a 18x9.5 et30 up front and a 18x9.5 et15 in rear with a 245/40 all around (for clearance and slight stretch). Once those tires have been ran to the ground up here in the Pacific NW, then ill run a 255/40 and a 275/40 setup. You have to admit.... big beefy tires look really good on rwd cars.

IF you guys don't have examples of what he COULD do instead of stretch and poke, then **** and just watch him make his mistakes and LEARN from his choices. You all say you are older, yet act like HS kids who are upset because someone wont accept your FAD and they chose someone else's.
E5-E46 is offline   Reply With Quote