E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-13-2016, 04:36 PM   #1
Act of God

My Ride: Longboard
Send a message via ICQ to Act of God Send a message via AIM to Act of God Send a message via Yahoo to Act of God
Collegiate Insanity Thread

Since these come in at such a high rate, I'll keep them in one place.

https://reason.com/blog/2016/10/13/c...l-harassment-b
CUNY Prof Accused of Sexual Harassment Because His Syllabus Says Effort Is 10% of Grade
Quote:
A professor at the City University of New York's Brooklyn College was ordered to make changes to his syllabus because it amounted to sexual harassment.

The professor, David Seidemann has refused to comply, and for good reason.

According to Seidemann, a university administrator expressed three grievances about the syllabus. First, and most quizzically, the grading portion of the syllabus suggests sexual harassment. It reads, "Class deportment, effort etc……. 10% (applied only to select students when appropriate)."

That's it. That's sexual harassment, Seidemann's department chair claimed.

Why? No one explained it to him. I gather that the "effort, etc…" was taken the wrong way: a completely unreasonable person could presume Seidemann was suggesting that sexual favors would boost the grades of "select students."

But you would have to be really uncharitable to read it like that. You would have to be looking for a reason to be offended.

Seidemann told me in an email that his department chair said "the 10% section could be construed as a prelude to sexual harassment," and had to be changed at once.

This order apparently came from the Director of Diversity Investigations and Title IX Enforcement. In the course of Seidemann's interactions with the director, he realized something quite stunning: there was no record of anyone actually complaining about the syllabus. The university had apparently launched this investigation on its own.

Seidemann was also initially in trouble for writing in his syllabus, "This classroom is an 'unsafe space' for those uncomfortable with viewpoints with which they may disagree: all constitutionally protected speech is welcome." But the director eventually conceded this was fine.

The bigger issue was triangles. Yes, triangles. Seidemann has a habit of using them instead of quotation marks "when referring to foolish PC terms," he wrote.

"The triangles were the problem," Seidemann said, recalling his department chair's words.

The professor refused to meet with the Director of Diversity Investigations, preferring to talk via email so that the conversation could be documented. This eventually caused the director to abandon the investigation: the matter is now officially closed, according to Seidemann.
Old 10-13-2016, 04:59 PM   #2
XKxRome0ox
Black and Proud

My Ride: RIP e46/'16 328i
great piece of news

2016 BMW 328i 6MT/M Sport Package/Track Handling Package/BMW M Performance Exhaust/Injen CAI
XKxRome0ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 05:00 PM   #3
farmdog

My Ride: Food Truck
Old 10-13-2016, 05:08 PM   #4
Cabrio330

My Ride: 2013 F30 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmdog View Post
Took me a minute!

That is a lot of corn dog coming down.

Last edited by Cabrio330; 10-13-2016 at 05:09 PM.
Cabrio330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 05:12 PM   #5
Mike Larry

My Ride: 575 nello
Thanks OP! Everyone cared about this stuff just as much as you do
Old 10-13-2016, 05:23 PM   #6
MDydinanM

My Ride: is a ///M
While this news is meh, this kind of SJW stuff in college seems to be more and more prevalent. It's concerning. What is becoming of today s youth?
MDydinanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 06:28 PM   #7
bimmerfan08

My Ride: F
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDydinanM View Post
While this news is meh, this kind of SJW stuff in college seems to be more and more prevalent. It's concerning. What is becoming of today s youth?
It's concerning but it's also encouraging so long as these youngsters don't get their way with the government. They won't be able to cut it and compete in the working world.
Old 10-13-2016, 08:16 PM   #8
MDydinanM

My Ride: is a ///M
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
It's concerning but it's also encouraging so long as these youngsters don't get their way with the government. They won't be able to cut it and compete in the working world.

Until they're the ones that become in charge.
MDydinanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 08:23 PM   #9
Act of God

Send a message via ICQ to Act of God Send a message via AIM to Act of God Send a message via Yahoo to Act of God
Quote:
Bingo
Old 10-16-2016, 09:33 AM   #10
Act of God

http://nypost.com/2016/10/15/crybaby...ween-costumes/
Crybaby college kids offered counseling for 'offensive' Halloween costumes
Quote:
The University of Florida is offering counseling to anyone who gets offended by any costumes worn this coming Halloween.

The school wrote in a blog post Monday urging students to "think about your choices of costumes and themes."

"Some Halloween costumes reinforce stereotypes of particular races, genders, cultures, or religions. Regardless of intent, these costumes can perpetuate negative stereotypes, causing harm and offense to groups of people. Also, keep in mind that social media posts can have a long-term impact on your personal and professional reputation," the post read.

The school reminded students that anyone who is offended or troubled by an incident or a costume, they could seek counseling at the wellness center or alert the school's Bias Education Response Team which provides support to those who were impacted.

"If you are troubled by an incident that does occur, please know that there are many resources available. Please take advantage of the 7 day a week presence of the U Matter, We Care program at the University of Florida by emailing umatter@ufl.edu. Additionally, there is a 24/7 counselor in the Counseling and Wellness Center available to speak by phone."

The University of Florida's post comes days after Wisconsin-La Crosse hosted an event that attempted to educate students on not dressing like a racist. About 30 students showed up to the event, which was advertised with posters asking "Is Your Costume Racist?"

One school district in Connecticut was also cracking down on clown costumes after the "killer clown" fear that has plagued cities nationwide. The district prohibited clown costumes and any "symbols of terror" for Halloween outfits.
Old 10-16-2016, 09:40 AM   #11
cowmoo32
.--. . -. .. ...

My Ride: Yukon
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
Bingo
...implying that they'll ever make it to a position of power. If they can't cut it in the working world they will never be the ones in charge
Old 10-16-2016, 11:35 AM   #12
bimmerfan08

My Ride: F
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
...implying that they'll ever make it to a position of power. If they can't cut it in the working world they will never be the ones in charge
Bingo. They have to first overcome the system if they want to lead it.
Old 10-17-2016, 01:36 PM   #13
Act of God

Apparently chanting that the opposing team's mascot sucks is now racist

http://ndsuspectrum.com/the-herds-ch...side-the-dome/
The Herd's Chant: Racism Inside the Dome
Quote:
"That's another BISON first down!"

"Move those chains..."

It is at these moments during the game when we must realize it is 2016 and we still have racism prevalent here at North Dakota State.

It is also hard to forget that is isn't a new issue for the Herd.

Homecoming has come and gone here at NDSU. Rampant binge drinking, puking, unplanned pregnancies and parades, my oh my.

Be it the band or football team, NDSU truly dominated the Fargodome this past Saturday.

In between the awful overpriced food, drunk children and chants of "F-k Iowa" it is hard to not hear the other chant:

"Sioux suck ****."

Look I am not claiming to be a smart person. I am not a Midwesterner either. On a good hot-dish day I might be a Minnesotan.

Be that as it may, I don't understand why you guys call it pop. I also don't understand why you insist on reciting this terribly racist chant.
Old 10-17-2016, 03:23 PM   #14
Show me

My Ride: 330 Vert
Quote:
Apparently chanting that the opposing team's mascot sucks is now racist

http://ndsuspectrum.com/the-herds-ch...side-the-dome/
The Herd's Chant: Racism Inside the Dome
Haha! I actually know this one!

They are chanting the retired name (taken away by the NCAA about 5 years ago for being an American Indian nickname) of an in-state rival school, regardless of who is playing. I had friends attend UND (the Fighting Sioux, now Fighting Hawks) who talked about this. The teams still play in basketball, but that's about it. I think the football teams played once in the last 6-8 years or something. Pretty funny that those students are still chanting against the other school. Inferiority complex much?
Old 10-17-2016, 03:32 PM   #15
2000_328CI

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
To those who say "so what who cares", wake the f*ck up. These are the "educated" youths of today who will ultimately define the norm. They will run companies, run local governments, and perhaps run the nation.

We can't just shrug this off any more than we can shrug off the encouragement of institutionalized racism. These kids have to be reigned in or our nation is absolutely doomed.

| 435 HP 328Ci | RRT Racing | Designer Wraps | Active Autowerke | Vorsteiner | STATUS Racing |
Timeless Motor Group
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 03:35 PM   #16
Act of God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Show me View Post
Haha! I actually know this one!

They are chanting the retired name (taken away by the NCAA about 5 years ago for being an American Indian nickname) of an in-state rival school, regardless of who is playing. I had friends attend UND (the Fighting Sioux, now Fighting Hawks) who talked about this. The teams still play in basketball, but that's about it. I think the football teams played once in the last 6-8 years or something. Pretty funny that those students are still chanting against the other school. Inferiority complex much?
Stupid yes, racist no
Old 10-17-2016, 04:51 PM   #17
GRIFFIN
NWS

My Ride: fast

** Removed - Please stop - Tim330i **
*NWS GIF REMOVED*
*GIF REMOVED*
* Continuing to put animated images in your sig will get you banned - Tim330i *
**You make me so horny.- Tim330i **
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedges View Post
I can honestly say that because of Griffin, i am desensitized to alot of wierd stuff!
GRIFFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 04:53 PM   #18
Show me

My Ride: 330 Vert
Quote:
Stupid yes, racist no
Absolutely stupid - they aren't even playing the team they're chanting against.

Racist would be iffy. The Sioux in question are a couple of tribes in North and South Dakota. Some of the people in those tribes consider it racist, so I'm not sure who gets to decide on that one

(I reached out a friend for more detail since his school got mentioned in the thread )
Old 10-17-2016, 07:52 PM   #19
cowmoo32
.--. . -. .. ...

My Ride: Yukon
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
To those who say "so what who cares", wake the f*ck up. These are the "educated" youths of today who will ultimately define the norm. They will run companies, run local governments, and perhaps run the nation.
lol, you the art history major with a display case full of participation awards will be running the country?

edit: Fast forward 20 years...

4:44
http://www.nbcnewyork.com/blogs/open...189064271.html

Last edited by cowmoo32; 10-17-2016 at 08:21 PM.
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 08:35 PM   #20
5ynd1cat3

My Ride: pisses off liberals
Very little missionary going on in that bed.