E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-28-2015, 06:22 PM   #1
MDydinanM

My Ride: is a ///M
Boston Cop, involved in Tsarneav incident, shot in the face

Discuss

http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/28/us/bos...hot/index.html

Quote:

(CNN)Police officer and former U.S. Army Ranger John Moynihan was honored at the White House less than a year ago as one of the nation's "Top Cops" for helping to save a transit officer wounded in a gunbattle with the Boston Marathon bombers.

On Saturday, Moynihan, 34, was in a medically induced coma at a Boston hospital after being shot in the face at point-blank range in the city's Roxbury neighborhood the night before. The gunman was shot and killed.

"He's a strong kid," Police Commissioner William Evans told reporters. "He's a fighter. He's going to pull through."

Moynihan was in critical condition at Boston Medical Center, where relatives, other officers and members of the clergy gathered Friday night to pray for his recovery.

A six-year police veteran and member of the youth violence task force, Moynihan was shot below the right eye. The bullet lodged behind his right ear, Evans said.

In April 2013, Moynihan was among officers who helped save transit officer Richard H. Donohue Jr., who was shot during a gunfight involving Tamerlan and Dzhokhar Tsarnaev in the days after the marathon bombings.

Police fired nearly 300 rounds within five to 10 minutes. One round nearly killed Donohue.

Moynihan and other Massachusetts officers were cited for their "heroic and relentless" life-saving measures on Donohue, who nearly lost his entire blood volume on the Watertown street.

An officer pressed against Donuhue's chest. Another forced air into his lungs. The wound near his groin was too high for a tourniquet.

A 33-year police veteran, Donohue was pale and appeared dead as four officers laid him on a gurney.

"He was essentially dead," said Dr. Heather Studley, who took over his care at Mount Auburn Hospital in Cambridge.

Tamerlan Tsarnaev was killed that night; his younger brother is on trial now in a federal death penalty case in Boston.

President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden with 2014 "TOP COPS" at White House ceremony. May 12, 2014. (AP Photo)
"There are officers here who were in the thick of two attacks last year: the shooting at the Washington Naval Yard and the bombing at the Boston Marathon," Obama said at the time. "On those awful days -- and we all remember them -- amid the smoke and the chaos, the courage of these officers shone through. And their quick thinking and level-headedness undoubtedly saved lives."

In a statement Saturday, Donohue wished Moynihan a full recovery, reported CNN affiliate WCVB.

"John played a part in saving my life, and that's something I will never forget," Donohue said. "His record of service speaks for itself. Everyone is wishing him well and we know he has the strength to pull through."

At 6:40 p.m. Friday, Moynihan and other officers pulled over a car in an area where gunshots had been reported earlier, Evans said. The primary job of the task force, also known as the gang unit, is to remove guns from the streets.

Six officers in separate cars, sirens blaring, were involved in the traffic stop, which was captured by surveillance cameras in the area.

Moynihan walked up to the driver's side door. A man started to step out.

'Point-blank in the face'
"Without provocation, as the driver is getting out ... you can see his right arm come up point-blank and shot officer Moynihan right below the eye," Evans said.

Evans described the officers approach as "very low key" and said they weren't "even close to having their guns out."

After shooting Moynihan, the suspect ran, turned around and fired at the other officers -- emptying his .357 Magnum, according to Evans.

Evans said a middle-aged woman was who driving by at the time suffered a flesh wound in the right arm. She was not identified.

The shooter, identified as 41-year-old Angelo West, was shot and killed. Evans said West had several prior gun convictions.

Angelo West, 41, was shot and killed Friday after allegedly shooting a Boston police officer.

Two passengers in the car were arrested on unrelated charges involving an outstanding warrant and a probation violation.

"None of our officers like to use their firearms," Evans said. "It's probably the worst thing we have to do in our profession, but here, clearly unprovoked, one of our officers is shot point-blank in the face."

Officer is 'a tough kid'
At a news conference, Evans and local leaders sought to allay community concerns at a time when officer-involved shootings have led to protests throughout the nation. Moynihan is white; West was black.

"Our officers did what they had to do," the police commissioner said.

The Rev. Mark Scott of the Black Ministerial Alliance of Greater Boston said Moynihan was shot "assassination-style." He called for calm in the predominantly black Roxbury section.

"This is not about 'Black Lives Matter,'" he said, referring to a protest movement that emerged after the shootings. "It's about all-the-lives-in-the-community matter and it's about the police ... responding to a concern from the community."

Evans said 1,071 guns were taken off the streets in Boston in 2014, with the youth violence task force and other units helping to seize more than 700.

Moynihan is a decorated Army Ranger with stints in Iraq from 2005 to 2008, according to the police department.

He won the Boston Police Department's Medal of Honor in 2014. His girlfriend and family have been at his bedside.

"They worried about bleeding in and around his brain," Evans said. "They're watching him closely ...and want to see how he's progressing before they make any determination of whether to have surgery. He's a tough kid.

Last edited by MDydinanM; 03-28-2015 at 06:31 PM.
MDydinanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 06:28 PM   #2
Memlol

My Ride: 2004 330ci 1999 323i
inb4 Lair blames the cop for being white
Old 03-28-2015, 06:34 PM   #3
Lair

My Ride: e90,e90, $5k Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memlol View Post
inb4 Lair blames the cop for being white
Old 03-28-2015, 06:47 PM   #4
MDydinanM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lair View Post

So what are your thoughts on this case?
Old 03-28-2015, 06:57 PM   #5
Act of God

My Ride: Beach Cruiser
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Social justice 4 life

“I wanted [Jimmy] Carter in and I wanted [Ford] out,” comedian Chevy Chase would later admit of his mocking Ford impersonation on "Saturday Night Live", “and I figured look, we're reaching millions of people every weekend, why not do it."
Act of God is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 07:48 PM   #6
Iceman00

My Ride: E90 6MT
Idiots.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:41 PM   #7
Lair

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDydinanM View Post
At face value - good shoot. A MAN WITH A GUN was killed by cops after he shot one of them in the face.

Have the "facts been established"?
Old 03-28-2015, 08:53 PM   #8
IFX

My Ride: M156
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDydinanM View Post

stop feeding his dumbass. he's proven to be an idiot already.
Old 03-28-2015, 09:20 PM   #9
Lair

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFX View Post
stop feeding his dumbass. he's proven to be an idiot already.

My fans are legion.
Old 03-28-2015, 11:45 PM   #10
Swish

My Ride: 2004 M3 Vert
"This is not about 'Black Lives Matter,'" he said, referring to a protest movement that emerged after the shootings. "It's about all-the-lives-in-the-community matter and it's about the police ... responding to a concern from the community."

RIP to the Officer...I hope justice is served appropriately.

"If you want to move past racism, you have to STOP LABELING EVERYTHING BY RACE / 2000_328CI"
Swish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:21 AM   #11
Xcelratr

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
+1 Swish

Except the cop is not dead. At least not yet.
----------------------------------------------
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:58 AM   #12
MDydinanM

Boston Cop, involved in Tsarneav incident, shot in the face

Quote:
At face value - good shoot. A MAN WITH A GUN was killed by cops after he shot one of them in the face.

So it wasn't murder by cop?

The story just broke last night so I don't think all the info is out yet. We'll see

Last edited by MDydinanM; Yesterday at 05:46 AM.
Old Yesterday, 10:45 AM   #13
Xcelratr

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
Quote:

B-b-but he was running away and he had emptied his gun, therefore he was retreating and unarmed! Racist cops profiled him, stalked him, forced him to shoot to defend himself when he dindu nuffin, then they executed him in the street in front of a bunch of nuns and orphans working at a puppy adoption event.

In before the rioting starts because one of the shots struck him in the back, so the pitchfork crowd decides it was murder.
----------------------------------------------
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:47 AM   #14
mistrzmiasta

My Ride: GLK350,ML63, Duc1098
Quote:

cops found skittles in the back pocket of the shooter. also they used the wrong picture...this is his most recent photo...

mistrzmiasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:15 PM   #15
Lair

So much butthurt over an opinion.

I love it.
Old Yesterday, 12:54 PM   #16
Act of God

My Ride: Beach Cruiser
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Quote:
So much frustration over prolonged exhibits of my ignorance
ftfy

“I wanted [Jimmy] Carter in and I wanted [Ford] out,” comedian Chevy Chase would later admit of his mocking Ford impersonation on "Saturday Night Live", “and I figured look, we're reaching millions of people every weekend, why not do it."
Act of God is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:19 PM   #17
Lair

Should I proclaim OJ's innocence instead?
Old Yesterday, 01:25 PM   #18
choxor

My Ride: JDM
His mouth is too high on his face.
Old Yesterday, 01:32 PM   #19
MDydinanM

Quote:
Should I proclaim OJ's innocence instead?

Oh snap. Lair brings in the OJ comparison.
Old Yesterday, 01:48 PM   #20
Lair

OJ walked. HE'S INNOCENT.