E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-15-2014, 01:57 PM   #1
NFRs2000nyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC/NJ
Posts: 904
My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
New Acura TLX....your thoughts?















I like it, I think it looks FAR better than the current TL and more correctly proportioned to the RLX.

Some details...

Available with a 2.4L 4 banger with an 8 speed double clutch (FWD with AWS) and a 3.5V6 DI I-vtec with a 9 speed and SHAWD or AWS.

*AWS= All wheel steering.
__________________

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 01-15-2014 at 01:58 PM.
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:58 PM   #2
GRIFFIN
NWS
 
GRIFFIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: California
Posts: 1,700
My Ride: 04 330i zsp,zpp,zcw
i don;t like the front grill. rest looks go0d.
__________________

** Removed - Please stop - Tim330i **
*NWS GIF REMOVED*
*GIF REMOVED*
* Continuing to put animated images in your sig will get you banned - Tim330i *
**You make me so horny.- Tim330i **
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedges View Post
I can honestly say that because of Griffin, i am desensitized to alot of wierd stuff!

Last edited by GRIFFIN; 01-15-2014 at 02:00 PM.
GRIFFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 02:00 PM   #3
NFRs2000nyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC/NJ
Posts: 904
My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIFFIN View Post
i don;t like the front grill. rest looks god.
Not my favorite, but works a lot better than the last gillete sponsored grill.
__________________
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 02:01 PM   #4
Wes
Registered User
 
Wes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 6,307
I like Acura, but I consider it to be the worst of the 3 Japanese luxury companies.

Luxury: Lexus > Infiniti > Acura
Sportiness: Infiniti > Lexus > Acura

I should go check out the newest models, but from what I've seen over the years, most Acura models are only a step above Honda in terms of quality, fit and finish. They should also stop making FWD and stick to AWD.
Wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 02:03 PM   #5
NOVAbimmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: VA
Posts: 12,396
My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Talk to me more about dat SHAWDYAWS
__________________
NOVAbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 02:03 PM   #6
NFRs2000nyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC/NJ
Posts: 904
My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
I like Acura, but I consider it to be the worst of the 3 Japanese luxury companies.

Luxury: Lexus > Infiniti > Acura
Sportiness: Infiniti > Lexus > Acura

I should go check out the newest models, but from what I've seen over the years, most Acura models are only a step above Honda in terms of quality, fit and finish. They should also stop making FWD and stick to AWD.
Yea, it's too bad Acura basically gave up it's pride to the other two. Acura has always (IMHO) been above the other two, and now, they are probably on the bottom. I also agree that a TL (current) is too close to a fully loaded accord (although the price isn't that much off. Speaking of which, have any of you seen the new Kia K900? It's insane how fast the Koreans are gunning for the big 6.
__________________
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 02:04 PM   #7
NOVAbimmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: VA
Posts: 12,396
My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
oh, and I would like to see a size comparison between the 2.4L engine and 8 speed transmission
__________________
NOVAbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 02:04 PM   #8
NFRs2000nyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC/NJ
Posts: 904
My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
Talk to me more about dat SHAWDYAWS
wut?

Superhandling AWD (acura's fancy name for "yo son, 4 dubz be spinnin" and all wheel steering is some scam that everyone is trying to copy.
__________________
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 02:05 PM   #9
NFRs2000nyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC/NJ
Posts: 904
My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
oh, and I would like to see a size comparison between the 2.4L engine and 8 speed transmission
Only a few details are released...car should be out this year though (TL is going bye bye)
http://www.acura.com/future/TLX#2
__________________
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 02:07 PM   #10
Solo118
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 657
My Ride: '12 MDX, '03 CLK500
Send a message via AIM to Solo118
I think they hit the nail on the head here. What a great departure from the current TL!
__________________
Contact me at SOLN6184@gmail.com


Solo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 02:07 PM   #11
Zell
Registered User
 
Zell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Such City
Posts: 5,683
My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
moar liek GAYLX
__________________
Zell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 02:12 PM   #12
Wes
Registered User
 
Wes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 6,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Yea, it's too bad Acura basically gave up it's pride to the other two. Acura has always (IMHO) been above the other two, and now, they are probably on the bottom. I also agree that a TL (current) is too close to a fully loaded accord (although the price isn't that much off. Speaking of which, have any of you seen the new Kia K900? It's insane how fast the Koreans are gunning for the big 6.
I agree that up until the early-mid 2000s, Acura had some much nicer cars that were closer, if not better, than a lot of the Lexus and Infiniti offerings. I don't know what happened, but it seems like they settled for mediocrity. I think they're coming back, though. The new MDX, RLX and ILX are pretty nice. The TLX seems to be a nice addition.

I'm surprised Hyundai hasn't come out with its own luxury brand. TBH, I think their premium cars would sell more under a different name. The Genesis and Equss (sp?) are really nice, but not too many people are going to drop 65k on a Hyundai lol.
Wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 02:15 PM   #13
NFRs2000nyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC/NJ
Posts: 904
My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
moar liek GAYLX


__________________
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 02:15 PM   #14
NFRs2000nyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC/NJ
Posts: 904
My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
I agree that up until the early-mid 2000s, Acura had some much nicer cars that were closer, if not better, than a lot of the Lexus and Infiniti offerings. I don't know what happened, but it seems like they settled for mediocrity. I think they're coming back, though. The new MDX, RLX and ILX are pretty nice. The TLX seems to be a nice addition.

I'm surprised Hyundai hasn't come out with its own luxury brand. TBH, I think their premium cars would sell more under a different name. The Genesis and Equss (sp?) are really nice, but not too many people are going to drop 65k on a Hyundai lol.
I think the new Equus is over 70K and the new Kia K900 is 65K!
__________________
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 02:22 PM   #15
217Bimmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: IL
Posts: 146
My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
grill looks bad. the rest looks like my 2001 330i. outdated design IMO. fail.
217Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 02:35 PM   #16
SamDoe1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minnesnowta
Posts: 3,486
My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Not my favorite, but works a lot better than the last gillete sponsored grill.
The beak was always fugly. I find it funny that they defended it to no end when it came out as their new "thing" but it has gotten smaller and less pointy every year after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
I like Acura, but I consider it to be the worst of the 3 Japanese luxury companies.

Luxury: Lexus > Infiniti > Acura
Sportiness: Infiniti > Lexus > Acura

I should go check out the newest models, but from what I've seen over the years, most Acura models are only a step above Honda in terms of quality, fit and finish. They should also stop making FWD and stick to AWD.
lol wut?
Lexus is not now nor has it ever been sporty. The IS was and still is weak sauce compared to every other offering in the market all while being far more expensive. Anything over the IS should never be considered sporty, they are luxurious highway cruisers at best. They are also "only a step" above normal Toyota quality to the same extent that Acura is just a little nicer than an Accord. On the plus side, they are fantastic cars and I would place the brand higher than Acura on the luxury scale but certainly not on sport.

Infiniti is the worst of the three, they aren't as reliable, fast, nice on the interior, or popular in sales. I drove several Infiniti G models before buying my E46 and could never figure out why people (other than asians) like them. The gas pedal was more of a volume pedal as it just made a lot of noise and went nowhere, the VQ motor is a dinosaur and the interior was all plastic. Besides, still just a Nissan.

I'm not sure if you've driven an Accord and a TL back to back but they are vastly different cars. Yes, the interior looks similar but everything including seats, interior materials, technology, engine, transmission, etc are all different and better. The cars don't feel even close to the same to drive and ride in even though they share the same basic structure. And for the money, the Acura models are far cheaper than Lexus for the same features.

Also, Acura is the only one of those three that still offers a manual in the ILX and TL...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
wut?

Superhandling AWD (acura's fancy name for "yo son, 4 dubz be spinnin" and all wheel steering is some scam that everyone is trying to copy.
AWS is dumb and just something else that'll be a pain to maintain. The SH-AWD system is widely considered to be one of the best AWD systems on the market today for both sport and poor weather driving.

Now to answer the OP's question:
SamDoe1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 02:39 PM   #17
bry330i
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: socal
Posts: 536
My Ride: 2002 330i
it looks like a conservative version of the Lexus IS. it looks ok.
bry330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 02:40 PM   #18
SLVR JDM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Work
Posts: 1,523
My Ride: reclining rear seats
Styling looks great...this is what the current generation should have looked like since it is a more evolutionary progression of the 03-07ish body style which was handsome as well.

They are saying that the 4 cylinder is meant to fill the gap which will be left when they kill off the TSX later this year. To me, the TSX is a great car and should be left alone...the ILX was unnecessary and should have never been introduced.
__________________


** Removed **
SLVR JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 02:51 PM   #19
wild willy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Sharon, PA
Posts: 103
My Ride: Cars
I will never own another Honda, but I do like that.....except for bottom of front and bottom or rear
__________________
91 MR2
12 Altima SR
12 Quest SL
wild willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 03:02 PM   #20
NFRs2000nyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NYC/NJ
Posts: 904
My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVR JDM View Post
Styling looks great...this is what the current generation should have looked like since it is a more evolutionary progression of the 03-07ish body style which was handsome as well.

They are saying that the 4 cylinder is meant to fill the gap which will be left when they kill off the TSX later this year. To me, the TSX is a great car and should be left alone...the ILX was unnecessary and should have never been introduced.
Agreed 200% on the ILX comment. Stupid pointless car. The TSX is also an excellent vehicle, and because its actually built in Japan (unlike the TL) you can feel the build quality difference. Friend of mine has a TSX that he traded in for a TL and we immediately noticed it wasn't built nearly as well. He had the first V6 TSX in NY (which IMHO was a complete waste.)
__________________
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use