E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 10-06-2012, 03:12 PM   #2061
Mike Larry

My Ride: 575 nello
Quote:
Originally Posted by XKxRome0ox View Post
the best way to get really personally useful advice is if you post pictures of you wearing suits
so we can tell you what you're doing right and what could be improved on
i posted dozens of pictures of SF and got a lot of beatdowns before i started getting thumb ups and compliments
through all that, i realized i am not ready to wear any fancy combinations just yet and that i get the best feedback when i stick to the basics and improve within those boundaries
would the staff at a BB not be knowledgeable enough? i was kinda just gonna let them tear me apart
Old 10-06-2012, 03:16 PM   #2062
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVR JDM View Post
Thanks for the info - I'm considering getting some on a pair or two for some traction and extra sole wear.
Both pairs (AE Strands and Randolphs) have reasonably light wear on the soles, so I'm hoping that is no issue at all.

Untitled by lucasmax12, on Flickr

Crappy iphone picture, but you get the gist. He had a thicker, more contoured, option, as well.....it would probably be better for traction than these. I got these applied so that I don't go OCD crazy when I get the soles wet.

He told me that as long as there aren't any holes in the sole that there should be no problem....he roughs up the sole anyhow to get the glue to bond better.

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:25 PM   #2063
dwass325

My Ride: CTA
Send a message via AIM to dwass325
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootyzGruve View Post
Gents,
A while back I asked about the Wolverine 1000 Milers. Im new to this whole style thing and appreciate the help I get from you all. My question is if I get a nice pair of leather boots such as those do I have to treat them with something before I wear them? Also, any rules about wearing them in the rain/snow? Id imagine the sole would get slick, but is it bad for the boot? Also, anyone drive a clutch with the leather sole? Does your foot tend to slip off in rainy weather?

Thanks In advance guys!
Many people do protect with with Montana Pitch Blent, Obenauf's HD Leathet Protector, Sno Seal, etc.

Whatever product you choose, you can also apply it to the sole.

If you get them wet, let them air out (do not speed up the process with a blow dryer or anything like that), use shoe trees (use shoe trees in any shoe you care about), and brush the leather with a horsehair brush.

I've driven manual in rainy weather in leather soles and yes, it can be problematic. My car had combo metal/rubber pedals from the factory though, and I had issues with that in other shoes, too. Should not be an issue on rubber pedals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques chirac View Post
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

It's more easy to kill with a sword than with a gun.

A sword is more frightening than toy-looking gun like glock.

robbing with a sword is a good thing
dwass325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 04:04 PM   #2064
VaderDave
Invictus

My Ride: 330CiC ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by XKxRome0ox View Post
I remember that. . Find the thread or posts...

[bimmer app/galaxy s3]
Abuse of mod powers in 3...2...1...

VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:18 PM   #2065
XKxRome0ox
Black and Proud

My Ride: a franken-e46 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Larry View Post
would the staff at a BB not be knowledgeable enough? i was kinda just gonna let them tear me apart
Most sales associates at bb suck
It is very cutthroat there
I have seen several "cat fights" over me because I purposely avoided certain SA's who "helped" me on previous occasions but they wanted to lay a claim on me as a prior client
They will tell you anything to make a sale

[bimmer app/galaxy s3]

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave
Fill that hole in your soul by buying more material goods
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=15286051
buy my sedan rear seats (gray leather)

sell me sedan A pillars!! (black fabric)
XKxRome0ox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:21 PM   #2066
ShootyzGruve

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwass325 View Post
Many people do protect with with Montana Pitch Blent, Obenauf's HD Leathet Protector, Sno Seal, etc.

Whatever product you choose, you can also apply it to the sole.

If you get them wet, let them air out (do not speed up the process with a blow dryer or anything like that), use shoe trees (use shoe trees in any shoe you care about), and brush the leather with a horsehair brush.

I've driven manual in rainy weather in leather soles and yes, it can be problematic. My car had combo metal/rubber pedals from the factory though, and I had issues with that in other shoes, too. Should not be an issue on rubber pedals.
Thanks Man. Can I get those treatments and the shoe spoons at one of the big box stores that I may get the boots from? Im style ignorant, but slowly learning. Thanks again for the tips.
ShootyzGruve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:35 PM   #2067
SLVR JDM

My Ride: reclining rear seats
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
Crappy iphone picture, but you get the gist. He had a thicker, more contoured, option, as well.....it would probably be better for traction than these. I got these applied so that I don't go OCD crazy when I get the soles wet.

He told me that as long as there aren't any holes in the sole that there should be no problem....he roughs up the sole anyhow to get the glue to bond better.
Thanks for the pics...looks like good work.

** Removed **
SLVR JDM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:50 AM   #2068
dwass325

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootyzGruve View Post
Thanks Man. Can I get those treatments and the shoe spoons at one of the big box stores that I may get the boots from? Im style ignorant, but slowly learning. Thanks again for the tips.
Shoe trees, yes. But get them at Nordstrom Rack for $12.95. They're the same thing. Always use shoe trees. If your feet aren't in them, the trees should be.

As for where to buy, probably online is your best bet.

Quote:
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

Old 10-08-2012, 10:16 AM   #2069
XKxRome0ox
Black and Proud

It's a brisk 52 degrees in the morning
Wearing the elbow patch sweater from rugby
I will swing by uniqlo today or tomorrow ... they have some denim pants on sale for the $10 for the grand opening

[bimmer app/galaxy s3]

Quote:

Old 10-08-2012, 10:23 AM   #2070
evolved

Columbus Day, so the bank is closed, however I'm still here working since I"ll be taking Friday off....friends are coming in town from Chicago for a wedding (college friends).

J. Crew blue flannel shirt
J. Crew v neck sweater
Nudie Jeans
Dalton boots
10 o'clock shadow from not shaving since Friday

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
Old 10-08-2012, 11:18 AM   #2071
rohde88

My Ride: S2000
Tangent:

Moved into my new place last week. Need some old man style advice on wall decorations/furniture.

Dave? Lucas?

What little furniture I've contributed.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3636 McKinney 001.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	473084   Click image for larger version

Name:	3636 McKinney 003.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	473085   Click image for larger version

Name:	3636 McKinney 005.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	473086  
Old 10-08-2012, 11:34 AM   #2072
XKxRome0ox
Black and Proud

Nice bachelor pad

[bimmer app/galaxy s3]

Quote:

Old 10-08-2012, 11:42 AM   #2073
evolved

Ron, I'm particularly a fan of kitschy, framed maps of places that you've been to or lived in. They're not only conversation pieces but they tend to bring about fond memories (hopefully).

http://www.etsy.com/shop/MrCityPrinting

This guy is my neighbor and does really nice work (I've seen a bunch of his prints in person). He can also do customized prints for roughly the same cost, I believe.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/10669513...-print-18-x-24

^^^Since you lived in Miami.

Obviously you wouldn't do your entire place in maps, but a few here and there are pretty cool, in my opinion.

As far as the rest of the place, I guess it depends on your interests. I'm a big fan of traveling (hence the maps) and aviation since my parents and a lot of my family are somehow tied to the aviation industry, so I have a handful of items that are aviation inspired (vintage wooden propeller, Eastern Airlines prints/art, etc.).

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past

E46Sig
Old 10-08-2012, 11:49 AM   #2074
rohde88

My Ride: S2000
I probably will get this dark frame white mat

Bought it from fab.com
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1349714963.597824.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	473090  
Old 10-08-2012, 11:52 AM   #2075
dwass325

I'm a fan of signs. They can be expensive though. My dad pulled this out of the woods behind a house we lived in back in Belgium.

I'm in that awkwardly bare wall phase, too. I usually just lie and say it's bc I'm a minimalist.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1349715017.919087.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	473092  

Quote:

Old 10-08-2012, 11:59 AM   #2076
dwass325

Lucas that site is great. Going to get a Chicago and St. Louis one. Now if only he had Brussels.

Quote:

Old 10-08-2012, 12:14 PM   #2077
evolved

Also, another thought (keep in mind that I'm kind of a map geek) could be a large map of the world to mount on a large wall in an office, or bedroom. If you mount it on cork board, or something similar, you can get some nice pins or tacks and indicate where you've traveled to, where you've lived, where you want to go, etc.

Quote:
Lucas that site is great. Going to get a Chicago and St. Louis one. Now if only he had Brussels.
Email him and he can do custom work......I'll need one after this December, too, since we'll be spending some time there

Did you study abroad there? I know SLU has a satellite campus there in addition to Madrid.

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past

E46Sig

Last edited by evolved; 10-08-2012 at 12:17 PM.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:22 PM   #2078
ShootyzGruve

Quote:
Shoe trees, yes. But get them at Nordstrom Rack for $12.95. They're the same thing. Always use shoe trees. If your feet aren't in them, the trees should be.

As for where to buy, probably online is your best bet.
Great, thanks again man!
Old 10-08-2012, 12:27 PM   #2079
ShootyzGruve

Quote:
Ron, I'm particularly a fan of kitschy, framed maps of places that you've been to or lived in. They're not only conversation pieces but they tend to bring about fond memories (hopefully).

http://www.etsy.com/shop/MrCityPrinting

This guy is my neighbor and does really nice work (I've seen a bunch of his prints in person). He can also do customized prints for roughly the same cost, I believe.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/10669513...-print-18-x-24

^^^Since you lived in Miami.

Obviously you wouldn't do your entire place in maps, but a few here and there are pretty cool, in my opinion.

As far as the rest of the place, I guess it depends on your interests. I'm a big fan of traveling (hence the maps) and aviation since my parents and a lot of my family are somehow tied to the aviation industry, so I have a handful of items that are aviation inspired (vintage wooden propeller, Eastern Airlines prints/art, etc.).
Cool site man! I will have to look into getting at least one of these.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:14 PM   #2080
dwass325

Quote:
Also, another thought (keep in mind that I'm kind of a map geek) could be a large map of the world to mount on a large wall in an office, or bedroom. If you mount it on cork board, or something similar, you can get some nice pins or tacks and indicate where you've traveled to, where you've lived, where you want to go, etc.

Email him and he can do custom work......I'll need one after this December, too, since we'll be spending some time there

Did you study abroad there? I know SLU has a satellite campus there in addition to Madrid.
I did not study there. I was born outside Brussels and lived there when I was very young.

Quote: