E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 29 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:05 PM   #3081
dwass325

My Ride: CTA
Send a message via AIM to dwass325
I love gingham.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques chirac View Post
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

It's more easy to kill with a sword than with a gun.

A sword is more frightening than toy-looking gun like glock.

robbing with a sword is a good thing
dwass325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:41 PM   #3082
imolazhp_ci

My Ride: metro.
Cigar Indy's sold out in my size already. I'm starting to realize if I see any Alden in my size that's not a Color 8 LWB or LHS, I must cop immediately, it will be gone within hours.
imolazhp_ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:37 PM   #3083
XKxRome0ox
Black and Proud

My Ride: is totaled
Yeah decided to go to the wedding and she confirmed with the groom that the seat was not replaced with an alternate guest

Gotta iron my shirt and pick out a tie
Going with the trusty navy suit
Brown captoe oxfords

[bimmer app/galaxy s3]

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave
Fill that hole in your soul by buying more material goods
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=15286051
buy my sedan rear seats (gray leather)

sell me sedan A pillars!! (black fabric)
XKxRome0ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:45 PM   #3084
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwass325 View Post
I love gingham.
marry me
JJR4884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:49 PM   #3085
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by XKxRome0ox View Post
Yeah decided to go to the wedding and she confirmed with the groom that the seat was not replaced with an alternate guest

Brown captoe oxfords

[bimmer app/galaxy s3]
i was under the impression that navy was meh at a wedding.. wait is this a day wedding?

anyways, the $22 for Saphir Renovaateur is well worth it... like holy crapola well worth it. I used it on the cordovans, worked good. I think another couple coats over the next month or two will take the darkness out from the AE dark brown polish. We'll see. I just used them the other night on the merlot mcallisters... holy sh*t i have never seen them look this good. amazing product, well worth it.
JJR4884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:49 PM   #3086
VaderDave
Invictus

My Ride: 330CiC ZHP
Quote:

Brown captoe oxfords

[bimmer app/galaxy s3]
Have a good time!
VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:52 PM   #3087
VaderDave
Invictus

Tonight we're going to dinner with a couple of other couples we know who also own their own businesses. My little firm has a few employees, but the other couples are basically self employed/sole props. For the last few years we've had a "Company Christmas party" together since none of us get invited to fancy Christmas parties on the company dime.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:10 PM   #3088
XKxRome0ox
Black and Proud

Why would navy be meh for a wedding?
It starts at 3:30pm
Cocktail hour and reception to follow

I shall enjoy my scandalous date with a married woman tomorrow

[bimmer app/galaxy s3]

Quote:

Old 12-08-2012, 11:13 AM   #3089
Mike Larry

My Ride: 575 nello
i have yet another unstylish mike larry question:
i've lurked around SF enough to know that they really hate kenneth cole shoes. my last two pairs of dress shoes have been from kenneth cole and i've been very satisfied with them. i can understand the hate for some of the exceptionally gaudy styles that they have and the fact that they're lower quality, which means they'll age badly instead of aging into an aesthetically pleasing patina the way better shoes would. however, i always buy the more conservative styles and i get them on sale (end up paying around $60 a pair). my thinking is that i can replace them every year without feeling too bad about it since they were cheap. also, the replaceability saves me from the possibility that my style preferences will change over time. am i wrong? now that i work in an office 5 days a week, should i be investing in better, longer-lasting shoes?

Last edited by Mike Larry; 12-08-2012 at 11:13 AM.
Mike Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:32 AM   #3090
ShootyzGruve

My Ride: 2003 325i
Hey Guys,

Im looking for advice on shoes that can pull off dress and slightly casual as well. Im not sure if something like this exists, but something that can go as formal as a wedding all the way down to business casual and even able to be worn with darker denim. After hanging around this thread and /r/Malefashionadvice for a while I've come to find out that shoes are expensive and aren't something to really skimp on. Im fine with that but I'd say that Im probably not yet comfortable spending $500 on a pair of shoes. I've always bought cheap clothes so spending money on fashion is quite new to me and I'd like to continue easing into it.

I only own one suit and it is charcoal if that helps in recommending a color. Id prefer some shade of brown right now since I think that would be more versatile. Is that true?

AE just had seconds on sale for a large discount. What is typically wrong with seconds. Are they worth it to consider?

Thanks for helping me look sharper!
ShootyzGruve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:36 AM   #3091
ShootyzGruve

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedges View Post
Wearing one of my favorite shirts!

That shirt is sweet. Im a sucker for gingnham and plaid as well.
ShootyzGruve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:37 AM   #3092
dwass325

Quote:
Why would navy be meh for a wedding?
It starts at 3:30pm
Cocktail hour and reception to follow

I shall enjoy my scandalous date with a married woman tomorrow

[bimmer app/galaxy s3]
Navy, in my opinion, is appropriate for any non-black tie wedding.

Quote:
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

Old 12-08-2012, 11:40 AM   #3093
dwass325

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Larry View Post
i've lurked around SF enough to know that they really hate kenneth cole shoes. my last two pairs of dress shoes have been from kenneth cole and i've been very satisfied with them. i can understand the hate for some of the exceptionally gaudy styles that they have and the fact that they're lower quality, which means they'll age badly instead of aging into an aesthetically pleasing patina the way better shoes would. however, i always buy the more conservative styles and i get them on sale (end up paying around $60 a pair). my thinking is that i can replace them every year without feeling too bad about it since they were cheap. also, the replaceability saves me from the possibility that my style preferences will change over time. am i wrong? now that i work in an office 5 days a week, should i be investing in better, longer-lasting shoes?
The issue most have with Kenneth Cole shoes is that they are often square-toe, which is undesirable.

If you are patient, you can get something of much higher quality without breaking the bank. I believe the Allen Edmonds Park Avenue and Fifth Avenue models can be had as seconds for $179. Granted, your tastes may change, but if your tastes ever become such that you think a black Park/Fifth Avenue is inappropriate for an attorney, your tastes are wrong.

Quote:

Old 12-08-2012, 11:45 AM   #3094
VaderDave
Invictus

Quote:
Your thoughts definitely have merit. Not everybody wants to buy and wear the same shoes for the next 20 years. It's all a matter of taste, I think. There's not really anything wrong with buying less expensive shoes if you're okay with replacing them more often. Like dwass said, I think you want to avoid the square toes and bicycle toes, but if you like your shoes and they fit well, then go with what you like best.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:50 AM   #3095
VaderDave
Invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootyzGruve View Post
Hey Guys,

Im looking for advice on shoes that can pull off dress and slightly casual as well. Im not sure if something like this exists, but something that can go as formal as a wedding all the way down to business casual and even able to be worn with darker denim. After hanging around this thread and /r/Malefashionadvice for a while I've come to find out that shoes are expensive and aren't something to really skimp on. Im fine with that but I'd say that Im probably not yet comfortable spending $500 on a pair of shoes. I've always bought cheap clothes so spending money on fashion is quite new to me and I'd like to continue easing into it.

I only own one suit and it is charcoal if that helps in recommending a color. Id prefer some shade of brown right now since I think that would be more versatile. Is that true?

AE just had seconds on sale for a large discount. What is typically wrong with seconds. Are they worth it to consider?

I think you should just keep doing your homework until you decide exactly what you like and how much you're willing to spend. Take some time and actually go physically look at the things you're considering--lots of things look awesome online that wind up being disappointing in real life. Once you look at shoes, for example, at various price points, you can start to see the difference in quality and construction. Then you can decide what your comfort level is, money-wise.

On the style blogs you see lots of people wearing longwing brogues with everything from suits to denim. Take a look and see which ones you might like. As for suits, navy blue is a staple, and is really versatile.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:53 AM   #3096
dwass325

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootyzGruve View Post
Hey Guys,

An Alden Leisure Hand Sewn (LHS) would fit the bill. They can be had in calf for $465, or cordovan for $650ish. Allen Edmonds also makes a similar model.

As long as we're not talking about considerably formal settings, a classic loafer with a suit is perfectly acceptable.

The LHS has quickly become my favorite shoe, both because they are super comfortable and because slip ons are essential for mental health while at the airport.

Allen Edmonds makes a model called the Kenwood which is another viable option, but I'd only buy them on deep discount as the leather is not very high quality.

Quote:

Old 12-08-2012, 02:05 PM   #3097
XKxRome0ox
Black and Proud

Quote:
You say you buy the conservative style shoes
Your style preference should not change when it comes to the conservative styles so you have no danger in investing in good shoes
Especially if you are dressing up for a law firm setting

Also nothing ruins an outfit like a cheap pair of shoes
They are visibly worse in quality and you can spot the difference (up to a point
So once you start wearing and appreciating better suits, your shoes must follow ... suit
I went through the same resistance ... why spend so much more for shoes when a $50-100 pair was fine for me before
Well, once I started wearing better shoes, there was no going back
Better made shoes are more expensive for a reason
And as my suit got better in quality and fit, so did my shoes

Now don't blindly buy shoes just because others love it and recommend it
Allen edmonds does not work that well for me
And alden is even worse
I find the english shoemakers to have better fitting lasts for my feet plus I prefer the sleeker design of the english brands

[bimmer app/galaxy s3]

Quote:

Old 12-08-2012, 02:22 PM   #3098
imolazhp_ci

mike larry. try some Barker's. you can get them at herring. they're reasonably priced and decent quality.

EDIT: http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/produc...=2&shoeid=3354 these particularly are a great shoe for the money.

Last edited by imolazhp_ci; 12-08-2012 at 02:23 PM.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:25 PM   #3099
imolazhp_ci

Mike Larry, you should run, not walk, to this today... http://www.thechoosybeggar.com/2012/...rstock-sale-2/
Old 12-08-2012, 03:58 PM   #3100
XKxRome0ox
Black and Proud

The shoes look great
My concern is not knowing how they would fit on mike
My herring suede oxfords fit well enough but they are slightly bigger than I'd like
But I took the gamble because they were one of the least expensive pairs on the website

[bimmer app/galaxy s3]

Quote:

Last edited by XKxRome0ox; 12-08-2012 at 03:58 PM.