E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:37 AM   #1181
dwass325

My Ride: CTA
Send a message via AIM to dwass325
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
Dave, is there any rule of thumb on Alden sizing? For example, if I'm an 11B in the 5 last of AE, does that translate into anything specifically for Aldens? I'm wanting to put a deposit down on a pair of Natural CXL Indy boots from Leffot, and I was leaning towards sizing 0.5 down to account for my narrow foot. Any advice since you've owned both brands?
From your 5-last size, the Trubalance is half a size large and a width wide. I am an 11E in the 5-last and a 10.5D Trubalance fits me perfectly.

I'd suggest a 10.5 in either A or B width. You should probably discuss it with Leffot, as I've not heard of the Indy coming narrower than a C-width (not saying it doesn't exist - just that I haven't heard of it). The good thing is that you're getting in on a special run, so if Alden can do it, it's going to be available to you.

But keep in mind...you're probably never going to be able to buy Aldens outside of special orders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurreyF1 View Post
unreal... what a shine, definitely an amazing color
It's a crap shoot buying ravello. There's a lot of variation. I got a color I'm very happy with. It gets much lighter and much darker though, as well as much more red.

They're beautiful, but the heel is a bit loose (normal - not necessarily a defect) so they don't get worn as often as I'd maybe like. I live in a metro area and walk a lot.

Quote:
Good point. From reading around it looks as if the Trubalance last runs 1/2 size larger than other Alden lasts, so I wonder if I should go down as far as a 10......I guess it's the widest of the Alden lasts.

I probably shouldn't be buying another casual pair of boots with a lug sole in chromexcel, since I just got a pair a month or so ago, lol.
I commented on sizing above.

Regarding casual boots...these are MUCH different than Bayfields. Bayfields are on the rugged side of dressy. Natural chromexcel Indy boots are one step above sneakers on the dressiness scale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques chirac View Post
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

It's more easy to kill with a sword than with a gun.

A sword is more frightening than toy-looking gun like glock.

robbing with a sword is a good thing
dwass325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:46 AM   #1182
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwass325 View Post
From your 5-last size, the Trubalance is half a size large and a width wide. I am an 11E in the 5-last and a 10.5D Trubalance fits me perfectly.

I'd suggest a 10.5 in either A or B width. You should probably discuss it with Leffot, as I've not heard of the Indy coming narrower than a C-width (not saying it doesn't exist - just that I haven't heard of it). The good thing is that you're getting in on a special run, so if Alden can do it, it's going to be available to you.

But keep in mind...you're probably never going to be able to buy Aldens outside of special orders.

I commented on sizing above.

Regarding casual boots...these are MUCH different than Bayfields. Bayfields are on the rugged side of dressy. Natural chromexcel Indy boots are one step above sneakers on the dressiness scale.

Thanks, bud. I emailed them about an A or B width.....I've not seen the Indy boot in anything narrower than a D, so we'll see.

Good point on these vs. the Bayfields.

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:58 AM   #1183
XKxRome0ox
Black and Proud

My Ride: a franken-e46 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave View Post
In re: ?
Warranty of habitability with regard to mold and other conditions

[bimmer app/galaxy s3]

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave
Fill that hole in your soul by buying more material goods
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=15286051
buy my sedan rear seats (gray leather)

sell me sedan A pillars!! (black fabric)
XKxRome0ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:02 AM   #1184
rohde88

My Ride: S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by XKxRome0ox View Post
Warranty of habitability with regard to mold and other conditions

[bimmer app/galaxy s3]
Luckily, you're in California--I bet you can win.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:18 AM   #1185
VaderDave
Invictus

My Ride: 330CiC ZHP
Are you referring to your own apartment, or someone else's?
VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:20 AM   #1186
VaderDave
Invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohde88 View Post
Luckily, you're in California--I bet you can win.
It's probably the scariest cause of action for landlords. I've had a couple of clients have to deal with it, and it was a PITA, even in one case where it was clear that the tenant had intentionally flooded the area behind the kitchen sink in an effort to develop mold so that she could break the lease.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:17 AM   #1187
XKxRome0ox
Black and Proud

My Ride: a franken-e46 325i
Quote:
Are you referring to your own apartment, or someone else's?
own

moved in
discovered water damage and mold in a closet on the ceiling a few days after the move
it's been 4 weeks since i reported it and it is still being worked on because there was more mold than was initially found

we are the first tenants in this unit
there is no visible damage to the pipes or anything
so it is most likely a construction defect that allowed water to leak in from the roof somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave
Fill that hole in your soul by buying more material goods
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=15286051
buy my sedan rear seats (gray leather)

sell me sedan A pillars!! (black fabric)

Last edited by XKxRome0ox; 08-15-2012 at 11:19 AM.
XKxRome0ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:34 AM   #1188
evolved

No dice on the narrow widths.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leffot Guy
Dear Lucas,

Thank you for your email unfortunately only the sizes posted on our online shop are available for pre-order. We cannot add or adjust the order sorry.

Kind regards,
Steven Taffel

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
Old 08-15-2012, 11:57 AM   #1189
dwass325

Quote:
It's probably the scariest cause of action for landlords. I've had a couple of clients have to deal with it, and it was a PITA, even in one case where it was clear that the tenant had intentionally flooded the area behind the kitchen sink in an effort to develop mold so that she could break the lease.
I had a water issue in an apartment about four years ago. As soon as I mentioned that I knew how painful mold lawsuits are for landlords, the property manager became much more willing to consider my requests (they ended up giving me a new apartment in the community at a stable price - it would've normally been about $150 more/month).

Quote:
No dice on the narrow widths.....
If you go with a 405 Indy model (which I personally think looks better) you can get a 10.5A, which should be your proper size, assuming you don't wear really thick socks. Either way, they can get AAA through EEE in the 405 model. Other versions are much more limited. The ShoeMart also has a nice return policy if it turned out you need a 10.5B.

http://www.theshoemart.com/alden-men..._workboot.html

Quote:
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

Old 08-15-2012, 12:21 PM   #1190
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
So D... 9.5D on the 5 last, for the Barrie last I should still be looking at a 9D?

Shoemart is out of stock for those wingtips
JJR4884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:27 PM   #1191
dwass325

Quote:
So D... 9.5D on the 5 last, for the Barrie last I should still be looking at a 9D?

Shoemart is out of stock for those wingtips
Yes, 9D. Ravello is in a serious shortage (as are whiskey and cigar). Only #8 and black are easy to find right now.

You could get them in dark tan calf - the calf equivalent of ravello. There will be a difference in the depth of color...but they also cost $200 less.

http://www.theshoemart.com/alden-men..._tip_boot.html

Quote:

Old 08-16-2012, 08:08 AM   #1192
Glight

My Ride: 2003 325i
Its about time for a new pair of sunglasses and I was thinking of picking up the Mykita Rolfs http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mykita-Rolf-...item43b23f434b

Anyone familiar with this brand and / or have a hook up on them? They're more than I wanted to spend but after seeing them in the a store and trying them on they really are at a whole other level compared to other sunglasses I've owned or tried on.

Thanks in advance.
Glight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:34 AM   #1193
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Yes, 9D. Ravello is in a serious shortage (as are whiskey and cigar). Only #8 and black are easy to find right now.

You could get them in dark tan calf - the calf equivalent of ravello. There will be a difference in the depth of color...but they also cost $200 less.

http://www.theshoemart.com/alden-men..._tip_boot.html
Ya i saw those as well.. if i'm spending that much anyways, i'm getting shell... time to sit back and be patient. I didn't last a day with my brown AE strands in calf, by the time i walked in the door i knew i wanted the shell so i won't settle for less

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glight View Post
Its about time for a new pair of sunglasses and I was thinking of picking up the Mykita Rolfs http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mykita-Rolf-...item43b23f434b

Anyone familiar with this brand and / or have a hook up on them? They're more than I wanted to spend but after seeing them in the a store and trying them on they really are at a whole other level compared to other sunglasses I've owned or tried on.

Thanks in advance.
never had a pair of them, however they look similar to Maui Jim Wiki Wiki's, which are an amazing pair of shade. Titanim frames... they are awesome, check them out when you have a sec...
JJR4884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:11 AM   #1194
evolved

Quote:

If you go with a 405 Indy model (which I personally think looks better) you can get a 10.5A, which should be your proper size, assuming you don't wear really thick socks. Either way, they can get AAA through EEE in the 405 model. Other versions are much more limited. The ShoeMart also has a nice return policy if it turned out you need a 10.5B.

http://www.theshoemart.com/alden-men..._workboot.html
Yeah, I saw those. I really like the natty CXL over the brown leather, so we'll see....I'll probably hold out for something with a crepe sole (if that ever happens in a narrow width). In all likelihood I'll end up getting a pair of Dalton's because I know how they'll fit, and I like that they are a bit dressier than the boots I have now. I just have to decide on walnut vs. chocolate calf vs. walnut cordovan.

Thanks for the help!

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past

E46Sig
Old 08-16-2012, 01:41 PM   #1195
dwass325

Quote:
Ya i saw those as well.. if i'm spending that much anyways, i'm getting shell... time to sit back and be patient. I didn't last a day with my brown AE strands in calf, by the time i walked in the door i knew i wanted the shell so i won't settle for less

thanks
Just FYI, I'm willing to bet you won't find another pair of ravello WT boots for another 9-10 months. Probably best to keep your eye out on pre-orders through Leffot and the like, and hope for them by next fall.

Quote:
Yeah, I saw those. I really like the natty CXL over the brown leather, so we'll see....I'll probably hold out for something with a crepe sole (if that ever happens in a narrow width). In all likelihood I'll end up getting a pair of Dalton's because I know how they'll fit, and I like that they are a bit dressier than the boots I have now. I just have to decide on walnut vs. chocolate calf vs. walnut cordovan.

Thanks for the help!
I've never seen crepes available in your width range. You could probably get by with a B-width as the Barrie is only slightly wide, but still...finding an E-width is nearly impossible and E is much more common than B.

Quote:

Old 08-16-2012, 01:54 PM   #1196
dwass325

Work rant: I am stepping in for a coworker and am having the below exchange with his broker. We just launched a new form, so we currently have quotes out on both forms.

Broker: The insured likes your quote but wants the new wording. Can you switch it over?

Me: This was quoted through a small business program which hasn't adopted the new wording yet. I can move this to the new wording, but not at the previously offered price. Please let me know if you'd like a quote on the new wording.

Broker: Yes. The insured is willing to pay more for the new wording.

Me: [sends quote]

Broker: Please advise the reason for the price increase.

Quote:

Old 08-16-2012, 01:59 PM   #1197
evolved

Quote:

I've never seen crepes available in your width range. You could probably get by with a B-width as the Barrie is only slightly wide, but still...finding an E-width is nearly impossible and E is much more common than B.
Yeah, I figured. There's a couple of boots on the Hampton and the Aberdeen lasts (which are the most narrow, I believe) that might work down the road. Also, it looks as if I'm in luck should I ever want regular dress shoes as there are TONS on those two lasts. Thanks, again, for the help.

Quote:
Work rant: I am stepping in for a coworker and am having the below exchange with his broker. We just launched a new form, so we currently have quotes out on both forms.

Broker: The insured likes your quote but wants the new wording. Can you switch it over?

Me: This was quoted through a small business program which hasn't adopted the new wording yet. I can move this to the new wording, but not at the previously offered price. Please let me know if you'd like a quote on the new wording.

Broker: Yes. The insured is willing to pay more for the new wording.

Me: [sends quote]

Broker: Please advise the reason for the price increase.

I nearly tackled a client yesterday from across the table on two separate occasions. He was all riled up that taxes might go up next year and said he was going to retire once he had to pay 50%+ in taxes. I broke down the tax scale, but he couldn't get a handle on effective vs. marginal tax rates. This guy is worth $20mm+ and makes over a million a year....and has no clue how tax brackets operate.

On top of that, he dismissed the two scenarios that I had ready to present as "comparing apples and oranges" even though he was the one who proposed them last month.....he then proposes some different ones that are the exact same scenarios that I proposed last month.

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past

E46Sig
Old 08-16-2012, 03:07 PM   #1198
VaderDave
Invictus

Quote:

I nearly tackled a client yesterday from across the table on two separate occasions. He was all riled up that taxes might go up next year and said he was going to retire once he had to pay 50%+ in taxes. I broke down the tax scale, but he couldn't get a handle on effective vs. marginal tax rates. This guy is worth $20mm+ and makes over a million a year....and has no clue how tax brackets operate.

On top of that, he dismissed the two scenarios that I had ready to present as "comparing apples and oranges" even though he was the one who proposed them last month.....he then proposes some different ones that are the exact same scenarios that I proposed last month.
Ah...clients.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:09 PM   #1199
rohde88

My Ride: S2000
Quote:
Ah...clients.
Can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:15 PM   #1200
VaderDave
Invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohde88 View Post
Can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em.
I'm pretty lucky--the vast majority of my clients are awesome and cause no problems at all. And usually I have pretty good instincts--I can often tell which of my initial contacts are going to wind up being PITAs, so I send them on their way.