E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:02 PM   #1681
bgsmith

My Ride: No longer an e46
Send a message via AIM to bgsmith
Quote:
Originally Posted by XKxRome0ox View Post
first off, do you get your suits tailored? waist taken in to give the jacket more shape than just looking like a "sack" suit?
you don't have to be a slim build ... in fact, a less than slim build will benefit more from proper tailoring
i know brooks brothers is very boxy american ... but i have several brooks brothers suits that look very modern and not boxy with just a bit of tailoring to fit my body
Yes I get my suits tailored, I actually have two suits right now I need to take to a real tailor because Brooks Brothers did a crappy job. And what you stated is exactly exactly what I am looking to get away from, the boxy american cut suit which pretty much all my suits are, as they are more geared towards my work which is a very conservative business/banking environment.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:06 PM   #1682
dwass325

My Ride: CTA
Send a message via AIM to dwass325
Quote:
Originally Posted by imolazhp_ci View Post
i was offered a chance to try on/buy the 744s a week before they were released. really nice, great color. a bit too rugged for me for the money. not terribly versatile. also, absolutely can't get past the wolverine logo embossed on the ankle. so so annoying. on a pair of regular 1000 miles, fine. i'd probably wear them out enough that the embossing would go away after a while. but on these I honestly think it ruins the shoe.
Since you've got experience and I trust your opinion...

What did you think of the toe cap? From the pictures, I can't tell if it's stubby...I like Alden cap toes because they come back further than on a lot of boots.

Did they come off as SUPER rugged? Like would only go with denim? I can't drop the $ on multiple cordovan boots so I need some versatility. Would they go with a heavier pair of chinos (ie officer chinos or similar)?

Lastly, how was the width? Did it seem like a standard D or was there some lateral room?

I might order a pair from Need Supply since they have my size, have a discount, and have a reasonable return policy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques chirac View Post
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

It's more easy to kill with a sword than with a gun.

A sword is more frightening than toy-looking gun like glock.

robbing with a sword is a good thing
dwass325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:18 PM   #1683
imolazhp_ci

My Ride: metro.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwass325 View Post
Since you've got experience and I trust your opinion...

What did you think of the toe cap? From the pictures, I can't tell if it's stubby...I like Alden cap toes because they come back further than on a lot of boots.
i like the design of the captoe. a bit deeper than the alden cap toe's which i also have, as you know. the brogueing is almost identical to the aldens, actually.

Quote:
Did they come off as SUPER rugged? Like would only go with denim? I can't drop the $ on multiple cordovan boots so I need some versatility. Would they go with a heavier pair of chinos (ie officer chinos or similar)?
the shape of these boots are quintessentially work boots. there's no two ways about it. the coloring and leather quality are the only distinctions which separate it from being super rugged. you could easily wear it with khakis but i think the toe shape would make it a bit odd with proper wool trousers unless they were a more rugged fabric like a donegal. not wrong, just maybe not so traditional looking.

Quote:
Lastly, how was the width? Did it seem like a standard D or was there some lateral room?

I might order a pair from Need Supply since they have my size, have a discount, and have a reasonable return policy.
the sizing is more on point with true sizing. normal 1000 miles you have to size .5 to 1 size down. these are more true to size. i'm an 8. i COULD have have gone with a 7.5, as i do in most Alden's, but i probably would have gone 8 (true size) in these so i could double up socks in the winter months. need supply is great. there is also a wolverine 1000 mile pop-up store in NYC on Elizabeth St. perhaps call them (and leffot, also) to see if they have your size. The wolverine store may be more keen to take a return later. If they won't ship I am sure you can pay over the phone and I'd be happy to ship them to you. the store is 3 blocks from my office.

EDIT: sorry forgot to answer about the width. wider than a normal D simply due to shape/wider toe work boot style but calling it an E would be pushing it.

Last edited by imolazhp_ci; 09-23-2012 at 07:21 PM.
imolazhp_ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:04 PM   #1684
Glight

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgsmith View Post
OK I started a thread but was directed here in order to access all the fashion gurus, I need a new suit for social occasions. I have a closet full of suits for work but they are all classic two button Brooks Brothers "bankers" suits.

I am just looking for a place to look/designer that might make a nice suit that would fit my frame, I am 5'8" and about 200 lbs with a rather solid/broad build, looking to spend about $600 at the most as this suit wont get that much use, any suggestions?
I have the same problem as you, being 5'10" 215 at the moment. I've tried a few different brands and found Brooks Brothers and Boss to be the best fits.

I really dislike pleats in my pants, so it was hard to find a flat front pant that could fit my ass and thighs. After bringing in the waist on both the BB and the Boss, they both fit very well.

I know Boss is far from the best quality in its price range, but fit is the most important thing in my opinion, especially when its something that you will wear relatively infrequently. And the Boss suit just fits me much better after 1 round of tailoring than most suits fit me after 3 rounds of tailoring.

Its tough to fit people of our size, so it will definitely take some trial and error, but it is possible to get something that fits well.

I agree with Ed on the black suit though.... do you really need it? What kind of work do you do? Would it be inappropriate to have a slightly more aggressive cut on one of your business suits?
Glight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:11 PM   #1685
bgsmith

My Ride: No longer an e46
Send a message via AIM to bgsmith
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glight View Post
I have the same problem as you, being 5'10" 215 at the moment. I've tried a few different brands and found Brooks Brothers and Boss to be the best fits.

I really dislike pleats in my pants, so it was hard to find a flat front pant that could fit my ass and thighs. After bringing in the waist on both the BB and the Boss, they both fit very well.

I know Boss is far from the best quality in its price range, but fit is the most important thing in my opinion, especially when its something that you will wear relatively infrequently. And the Boss suit just fits me much better after 1 round of tailoring than most suits fit me after 3 rounds of tailoring.

Its tough to fit people of our size, so it will definitely take some trial and error, but it is possible to get something that fits well.

I agree with Ed on the black suit though.... do you really need it? What kind of work do you do? Would it be inappropriate to have a slightly more aggressive cut on one of your business suits?
Thanks, for the info. And as far as the black is concerned I just want a black suit, I don't really need any more work suits. I was just reading up on Indochina and for what you get for the money I may just check them out, a custom fitted suit for less than $400 that is guaranteed, really cant go wrong at that price.

I have some friends in the military that have had suits made in the far east and china and they are some of the nicest suits, fit and quality of material wise I have seen. Next time I visit my parents I will have my dad due my measurements as he used to work in retail and knows what he is doing, then I just may pull the trigger with Indochina, f the suit doesn't work out they will pay for any alterations or refund your money on a return, but in the end its only a relatively small amount of money.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:00 AM   #1686
rohde88

My Ride: S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgsmith View Post
Thanks, for the info. And as far as the black is concerned I just want a black suit, I don't really need any more work suits. I was just reading up on Indochina and for what you get for the money I may just check them out, a custom fitted suit for less than $400 that is guaranteed, really cant go wrong at that price.

I have some friends in the military that have had suits made in the far east and china and they are some of the nicest suits, fit and quality of material wise I have seen. Next time I visit my parents I will have my dad due my measurements as he used to work in retail and knows what he is doing, then I just may pull the trigger with Indochina, f the suit doesn't work out they will pay for any alterations or refund your money on a return, but in the end its only a relatively small amount of money.
Indochino is hit or miss, you can easily go wrong with multiple edits and ultimately a worthless suit that takes a long time to get your money back. To save $300 usually isn't worth it.

It sounds like you already know how to get the fit, and you know several possible brands, there is nothing we can do for you unless you post fit pics.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:08 AM   #1687
yousharenow

My Ride: E46 ZHP
Send a message via AIM to yousharenow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom5933 View Post
Boot and jeans from last night.
not feeling the cuff
yousharenow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:09 AM   #1688
rohde88

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousharenow View Post
not feeling the cuff
post pics of your casual pants?
Old 09-24-2012, 09:15 AM   #1689
yousharenow

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohde88 View Post
post pics of your casual pants?
I'm in slacks, but I always felt the cuff was sloppy.

Get them tailored already. I'm a bit of a stickler as almost everything I had I got tailored to me at the little dry cleaner in my building.

This is how I dress for casual Fridays (and how everything fits), sans the bowling shoes.

Old 09-24-2012, 09:19 AM   #1690
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
AE is having their annual sale.....15%+ off, or more, on most models.

This is not a reason to go out and purchase the Cronmok boot, however.

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:24 AM   #1691
yousharenow

I get boots but in the winter I don't need snow proof shoes.

Besides most the boots I see on here or r/mfa I think are ugly IMO
Old 09-24-2012, 10:41 AM   #1692
VaderDave
Invictus

My Ride: 330CiC ZHP
Quote:
I get boots but in the winter I don't need snow proof shoes.

Besides most the boots I see on here or r/mfa I think are ugly IMO
What's "r/mfa"?
VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:42 AM   #1693
VaderDave
Invictus

My Ride: 330CiC ZHP
Quote:

Get them tailored already. I'm a bit of a stickler as almost everything I had I got tailored to me at the little dry cleaner in my building.

This is how I dress for casual Fridays (and how everything fits), sans the bowling shoes.

Eh, I'm not a fan of the spectators either. The rest of that is a good look, although I prefer slightly darker denim.
VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:48 AM   #1694
rohde88

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave View Post
What's "r/mfa"?
its a reddit thread?
Old 09-24-2012, 11:04 AM   #1695
yousharenow

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohde88 View Post
its a reddit thread?
Yeah I abberviated it.

It's reddit.com/r/malefashionadvice abbreviated as "mfa".

They preach the same northern old time look I see a lot of you guys in here preaching. It has some decent pointers, although same queenish overtones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave View Post
Eh, I'm not a fan of the spectators either. The rest of that is a good look, although I prefer slightly darker denim.

Personally I like it. This look with a pair of Sperrys or old school puma's for a less "dressy" look is so utilitarian. This look works damn near EVERYWHERE.

It's one of the reasons I love sport-coats and jackets, sweaters occasionally but the ability to dress up a simple jeans/shirt combo is so powerful IMO.

That's why I love when JAB throws these deals on sport coats. Having 2 or so decent patterned ones, a brown one, a black one, and a grey one and you can literally do ANYTHING with your wardrobe for not much cash.

Most my clothes come from Macy's anyways, I love the lines they carry.

Last edited by yousharenow; 09-24-2012 at 11:05 AM.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:48 AM   #1696
dwass325

My Ride: CTA
Send a message via AIM to dwass325
Quote:

Orphan jacket, stonewashed jeans, bed head, and balmorals?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques chirac View Post
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

It's more easy to kill with a sword than with a gun.

A sword is more frightening than toy-looking gun like glock.

robbing with a sword is a good thing
dwass325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:24 PM   #1697
imolazhp_ci

My Ride: metro.
i have to seriously jump in and rave about Leather Soul Beverly Hills. The Alden Plaza CXL boots i posted a page back, when I received them they had a small tear in the brogueing, more like a separation where one of the brogueing holes was punched and the finished part of the leather lifted off the grain. I e-mailed Leather Soul, sent a picture, they said they'd check with Alden to see if a repair was possible because it was the last pair in my size. I got impatient and thought "I can just super glue this." So I superglued them, oiled them up, they look perfect. You can't even tell. I e-mailed Bryan, the manager at LSBH telling him not to worry, I just made it work. He came back apologizing, saying he contacted Alden and there was no repair possible, and my method was a good one, but to make up for it, they offered me 25% off my next purchase at LSBH. THAT is good service, taking the extra step when it isn't necessary, or their fault. I will be a customer for life, even though I have Leffot right down the street in NYC.
imolazhp_ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:29 PM   #1698
yousharenow

Quote:
Orphan jacket, stonewashed jeans, bed head, and balmorals?
Yes.

No bedhead though.

Its a good look, you know it.

post up pics of your standard NE style Friday wear which comes with a shirt tucked into jeans and a lame belt, flat gelled over hair, and AE boots/bowling shoes.

But, I find the style that is predominantly preached in places like here an MFA aren't nearly as inviting or noticed as the one I rock. Queens will be queens.

YMMV
Old 09-24-2012, 02:47 PM   #1699
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Quote:
Yes.

No bedhead though.

Its a good look, you know it.

post up pics of your standard NE style Friday wear which comes with a shirt tucked into jeans and a lame belt, flat gelled over hair, and AE boots/bowling shoes.

But, I find the style that is predominantly preached in places like here an MFA aren't nearly as inviting or noticed as the one I rock. Queens will be queens.

YMMV
A sport coat, OCBD, jeans and leather shoes isn't any huge sartorial revelation. It's about as standard as what you are describing

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:57 PM   #1700
yousharenow

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
A sport coat, OCBD, jeans and leather shoes isn't any huge sartorial revelation. It's about as standard as what you are describing
Yet I don't see that "standard" nearly as preached/applied as the one I mentioned.