E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:22 AM   #1781
evolved
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Saint Louis, MO
Posts: 818
My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
I found a local place that apparently sells Alden's, so I may be taking a trip over there during lunch as I'm curious to see how they fit. They're also a shoe repair/service shop, so I think I'll be taking my new boots in for a topy sole.
__________________

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:35 AM   #1782
SLVR JDM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Work
Posts: 1,523
My Ride: reclining rear seats
Is that Cobblestone's by chance? They are a nice, small shop and their work is great (slightly pricey though from what I recall).
__________________


** Removed **
SLVR JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:37 AM   #1783
evolved
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Saint Louis, MO
Posts: 818
My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVR JDM View Post
Is that Cobblestone's by chance? They are a nice, small shop and their work is great (slightly pricey though from what I recall).
Yep! The one in Ladue is close to my office. I saw that a place called "Mister Guy" on Clayton rd. sells Alden's, as well.

I'll definitely be getting pricing prior to dropping anything off.
__________________

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:27 AM   #1784
dwass325
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Peoples Republic of Chicago
Posts: 405
My Ride: CTA
Send a message via AIM to dwass325
Not style related, but the view from our box at the Twins/Yankees game.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1348676843.785299.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	471056  
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques chirac View Post
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

It's more easy to kill with a sword than with a gun.

A sword is more frightening than toy-looking gun like glock.

robbing with a sword is a good thing
dwass325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:43 AM   #1785
yousharenow
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: ATL
Posts: 215
My Ride: E46 ZHP
Send a message via AIM to yousharenow
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwass325 View Post
Re: shirts, it's not an issue of ironing. Non-button collars are formal shirts. Sure, people wear ties with button collars, but a non-button collar without a tie is a shirt being worn wrong. It's a style inspired by business travelers, just like loafers with suits.

Jean cuffing is admittedly preference, although there is strong history in cuffing them, given that they are workwear.
But people aren't wearing them to work in, they are cuffing them because its in "style".

It's purely form, not function. So it's wrong, no?(based on your function-only argument of non-button collar shirts)

I think if you properly know how to iron a shirt, and get the right fit, a non-button down collar is much cleaner and smooth of a look.

Last edited by yousharenow; 09-26-2012 at 11:43 AM.
yousharenow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:08 PM   #1786
VaderDave
Invictus
 
VaderDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: El Dorado Hills, CA
Posts: 11,896
My Ride: 330CiC ZHP
This exchange reminds me of the "Non-rules Rules" thread on StyleForum. It's interesting to read people's personal idiosyncrasies. I know I have a few myself.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/309241/non-rule-rules
VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:10 PM   #1787
yousharenow
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: ATL
Posts: 215
My Ride: E46 ZHP
Send a message via AIM to yousharenow
The queenyness of that website I just can not tolerate
yousharenow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:15 PM   #1788
VaderDave
Invictus
 
VaderDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: El Dorado Hills, CA
Posts: 11,896
My Ride: 330CiC ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by yousharenow View Post
The queenyness of that website I just can not tolerate
Why are the fights so bitter? Because the stakes are so low.

I have to laugh at how bitchy and personal some of the insults get.
VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:16 PM   #1789
VaderDave
Invictus
 
VaderDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: El Dorado Hills, CA
Posts: 11,896
My Ride: 330CiC ZHP
Interestingly, the off-topic forums on that site are actually quite good. The political talk forum there is much, much better than ours. So are the threads about design and architecture.
VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:42 PM   #1790
evolved
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Saint Louis, MO
Posts: 818
My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Well, I went to the shoe shop/service store and I'm glad I did. I'm bringing my new boots by tomorrow to have a topy put on. I also had a long talk about Alden sizing. The store owner thinks I'm likely an A width with most Aldens. He also mentioned that in November they run a 20% off all of their shoes special....AE's, Aldens, in stock, not in stock, etc....as long as it's on the AE or Alden site, he can get it in, apparently.

Question for Alden people, I know the indie is probably their most popular boot, why is it not on Alden's main site?


Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave View Post
Interestingly, the off-topic forums on that site are actually quite good. The political talk forum there is much, much better than ours. So are the threads about design and architecture.
That's the last thing I need, another poli-talk forum, lol.
__________________

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:49 PM   #1791
dwass325
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Peoples Republic of Chicago
Posts: 405
My Ride: CTA
Send a message via AIM to dwass325
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
Well, I went to the shoe shop/service store and I'm glad I did. I'm bringing my new boots by tomorrow to have a topy put on. I also had a long talk about Alden sizing. The store owner thinks I'm likely an A width with most Aldens. He also mentioned that in November they run a 20% off all of their shoes special....AE's, Aldens, in stock, not in stock, etc....as long as it's on the AE or Alden site, he can get it in, apparently.

Question for Alden people, I know the indie is probably their most popular boot, why is it not on Alden's main site?

That's the last thing I need, another poli-talk forum, lol.
The Indy is on their site. I believe it's under orthopedic shoes.

Would you mind sending their info to me, either via PM or on Facebook?
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques chirac View Post
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

It's more easy to kill with a sword than with a gun.

A sword is more frightening than toy-looking gun like glock.

robbing with a sword is a good thing
dwass325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:53 PM   #1792
evolved
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Saint Louis, MO
Posts: 818
My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwass325 View Post
The Indy is on their site. I believe it's under orthopedic shoes.

Would you mind sending their info to me, either via PM or on Facebook?
PM'd.


Maybe I'm blind, but I can't seem to find it on www.aldenshoe.com. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong site?

Edit: Nevermind, found it!
__________________

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig

Last edited by evolved; 09-26-2012 at 12:54 PM.
evolved is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:53 PM   #1793
VaderDave
Invictus
 
VaderDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: El Dorado Hills, CA
Posts: 11,896
My Ride: 330CiC ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post


That's the last thing I need, another poli-talk forum, lol.
Perhaps it's because of the generally-older crowd over there, but it's always interesting to be reading a discussion over there about, say, healthcare, and find that at least a couple of the people participating have had multi-decade careers in health care policy/management. Over here it's just a bunch of armchair quarterbacks.
VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:13 PM   #1794
XKxRome0ox
Black and Proud
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: los angeles
Posts: 10,130
My Ride: a franken-e46 325i
Sometimes I am blown away by the eloquence of some posters at sf. Of course, I am also blown away by the idiocy of most members, just like on this forum

[bimmer app/galaxy s3]
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave
Fill that hole in your soul by buying more material goods
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=15286051
buy my sedan rear seats (gray leather)

sell me sedan A pillars!! (black fabric)
XKxRome0ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:22 PM   #1795
evolved
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Saint Louis, MO
Posts: 818
My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave View Post
Perhaps it's because of the generally-older crowd over there, but it's always interesting to be reading a discussion over there about, say, healthcare, and find that at least a couple of the people participating have had multi-decade careers in health care policy/management. Over here it's just a bunch of armchair quarterbacks.
__________________

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:32 PM   #1796
VaderDave
Invictus
 
VaderDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: El Dorado Hills, CA
Posts: 11,896
My Ride: 330CiC ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
Sorry, I hit return before I typed "armchair quarterbacks...and you."

VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:35 PM   #1797
XKxRome0ox
Black and Proud
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: los angeles
Posts: 10,130
My Ride: a franken-e46 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave View Post
Sorry, I hit return before I typed "armchair quarterbacks...and you."

You submitted post too soon again

Armchair quarterbacks ... and you... leading the bunch


J/k
I never read the political crap talk so I have no idea who says what

[bimmer app/galaxy s3]
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave
Fill that hole in your soul by buying more material goods
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=15286051
buy my sedan rear seats (gray leather)

sell me sedan A pillars!! (black fabric)
XKxRome0ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:37 PM   #1798
SLVR JDM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Work
Posts: 1,523
My Ride: reclining rear seats
Think I found some loafers that will work....limiting these to use with jeans and khakis though.


AE Randolph

__________________


** Removed **

Last edited by SLVR JDM; 09-26-2012 at 01:38 PM.
SLVR JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:38 PM   #1799
VaderDave
Invictus
 
VaderDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: El Dorado Hills, CA
Posts: 11,896
My Ride: 330CiC ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVR JDM View Post
Think I found some loafers that will work....limiting these to use with jeans and khakis though.


AE Randolph

I would wear those.
VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:40 PM   #1800
evolved
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Saint Louis, MO
Posts: 818
My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Nice! The Randolph, right? Very nice shoe, love the grain leather.
__________________

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use