E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-08-2012, 07:40 PM   #181
epistaxis2008
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 466
My Ride: 2002 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
No, Mango, I'd be royally pissed and wouldn't ever 'speak' with you again!

I invested hours engineering my rotors down to the finest detail.

I used my Dremel round bit tool to cut little dimples in my rotors. When they spin at 65 mph, from the side, you can read "dmax" on them. When I brake hard you can hear them humming America the Beautiful. If it's a long slow braking event they clearly 'speak' the words, "Hey, Baby. Sup?" (Got me in a bit of trouble a few times already.)
Omg. Maybe not funniest to date but sure is the funniest since I have joined. It's good enough to make me almost wanna take the 3-5 hr trip down there and pay for a ticket to one of your shows, u r a comedian, right?

Sent from my PG86100 using Bimmer App
epistaxis2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:52 PM   #182
dmax
Registered User
 
dmax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 22,834
My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
On a good night, I might be funny for maybe 30 secs. out of the 5 minutes' time a beginning 'comedian' gets. Personally, I think I'm just greatly misunderstood. Evidently, in NYC there were a group of about 25 folks over 75 years old that really didn't appreciate my solution to the problem of teenaged pregnancy--promoting pornography, masturbation, and beastiality in the schools--they all just looked at me like it didn't make any sense at all!
__________________


Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:03 PM   #183
epistaxis2008
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 466
My Ride: 2002 330ci
If they're over 75 I don't think they ever heard the word beastiality before so they were probably confused, so i bet they were about to laugh n then they were like whaaaat?

Sent from my PG86100 using Bimmer App
epistaxis2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:12 PM   #184
epistaxis2008
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 466
My Ride: 2002 330ci
And half of them didn't have their hearing aids up so they were like "did he say there are bees in the alley? Remind me to go around the long way to the car when we leave hun I'm allergic and forgot my medication on the bathroom floor next to the hemroid cream and baby wipes this morning.". (In an old man voice)

Sent from my PG86100 using Bimmer App
epistaxis2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:21 PM   #185
dmax
Registered User
 
dmax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 22,834
My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
OP, Callahan brake pads day 2:

Status update? Still alive?
__________________


Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:33 PM   #186
epistaxis2008
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 466
My Ride: 2002 330ci
See clearly u r the professional

Sent from my PG86100 using Bimmer App
epistaxis2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:44 PM   #187
dmax
Registered User
 
dmax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 22,834
My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Oh, sorry...very funny!

But, I have to tell you, I'm not stealing others' comedy until I get all mine out of me.

If nothing else, the karma that comes through Farley to the rotors should make them decent enough to live a few weeks on! /threadjack
__________________


Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:48 PM   #188
Mango
A full five stars, son
 
Mango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22,794
My Ride: M54B30
OK. Good to know, D. No Callahan C1 Team China Racing rotors or Kamikaze Racing brake pads for you. DMAX's rotors glow GREEN under heavy braking instead of the typical red. He incorporated argon gas into the steel alloy used to cast the discs. This special gas formula is trade secret and is said to only exist in one set of DMAX Racing rotors on his personal car.
__________________
A lifetime free of problems if you follow my guides
Cooling | Maintenance | Suspension | Vacuum | Supreme Reliability | Details

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:31 PM   #189
aphhpa
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: West Point, NY
Posts: 1,448
My Ride: 2001 330Ci
Send a message via AIM to aphhpa
Yeah dmax still alive.
__________________
aphhpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:42 PM   #190
dmax
Registered User
 
dmax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 22,834
My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Originally Posted by aphhpa View Post
Yeah dmax still alive.
Aph, I've been facing Munich in my shrine for the last three hours praying for you. Sipping coolant with a mark from brake dust on my forehead. My wife and kids are freaking out.

From now on, hourly reports please. Mango has the next watch.

11:42 on the dot.

Some people!
__________________


Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 12:28 AM   #191
ac_2007
Registered User
 
ac_2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 6,983
My Ride: F32 M4, E46 M3/325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
OK. Good to know, D. No Callahan C1 Team China Racing rotors or Kamikaze Racing brake pads for you. DMAX's rotors glow GREEN under heavy braking instead of the typical red. He incorporated argon gas into the steel alloy used to cast the discs. This special gas formula is trade secret and is said to only exist in one set of DMAX Racing rotors on his personal car.
__________________
ac_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 12:59 AM   #192
05graysport
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 150
My Ride: 46/325 B5/S4 39/M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
My Brembo box said made it Italy. Besides, that's not the point. If you understand and read, you'll see that I said designed-manufactured in China. Not simply manufactured in China.

Why do I find myself repeating this several times throughout this thread. Please read before you post.
You seem to not understand a simple concept. It does not matter where it was designed OR manufactured. Metal is Metal. Aluminum alloys have a certain heat capacity regardless if it was designed by a German, Indian, Chinese, or Japanese.

You are implying Chinese do not DESIGN, MANUFACTURE, or whatever you are dreaming of, well. You are wrong. There is quality control for everything, within reason. I have had at least 5 Brembo rotor discs warp prematurely, crack, or wear faster than normal, that were "MADE IN ITALY". My point of the Iphone being built in China, is for you to understand, Made in, Cooked in, Steamed in, does not matter. Its the R&D that matters from the get-go. China copies everything and they know very well what is involved in molding an aluminum product.

For your argument to make any sense, you need to prove your ignorance, otherwise your ASSUMPTION is making you look like a fool.

I have a 6-pot Brembo BBK on my Audi S4 and I could care less where it was made, hence the comment about you being ignorant because if it was made in China, its junk. I care about the function of the product considered. A BBK provides me with more pistons compressing my pads against a LARGER rotor, providing MORE efficiency during heated, highly demanding braking. A 6 pot brake set from China CAN possibly provide the same, but they do not involve themselves in a low quantity item, and they are not in the Sports Car segment, like Europeans are.

For your driving, a Chinese Rotor will do you just as well, assuming it has some sort of nominal testing done on it, which most likely it has. I'm obliged to know you would rather put Brembo Rotors on your street driven car, because your getting the same performance, but since its your money, who else is to care.

I personally would not go the cheaper route because I don't feel like its a savings to be had, when I can spend a little more and know I got something that came on my car from Day 1. However, I can not make the claim it is an inferior product.

99% of BMW 3 series drivers have a GOOD ENOUGH set of factory rotors and pads.

PS: If you think replacing your 11 inch Rotors with Brembo rotors is going to give you a better stopping distance, try changing your brake lines to stainless steel, putting a BBK, swapping the Brake fluid with higher temp and report.

Stock brakes are for kids, it gets the job done well enough and thats all we need, brembo, zimmerman, or anything, does not matter. They don't mix copper, carrots and nickel in it to sell it much cheaper, how do you know? because it would not hold the heat.

Last edited by 05graysport; 06-09-2012 at 01:02 AM.
05graysport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 01:27 AM   #193
Mango
A full five stars, son
 
Mango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22,794
My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
Aph, I've been facing Munich in my shrine for the last three hours praying for you. Sipping coolant with a mark from brake dust on my forehead. My wife and kids are freaking out.

From now on, hourly reports please. Mango has the next watch.

11:42 on the dot.

Some people!
I approve of this message. Facing Munich 6x a day. I like it. The prayer call is the E9X gong chime. We make the pilgrimage once a year.
__________________
A lifetime free of problems if you follow my guides
Cooling | Maintenance | Suspension | Vacuum | Supreme Reliability | Details

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 01:33 AM   #194
choxor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 4,439
My Ride: JDM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05graysport View Post
For your driving, a Chinese Rotor will do you just as well, assuming it has some sort of nominal testing done on it, which most likely it has.
You talk about not assuming. However, you ASSUME that some sort of testing and QC has been done on these brakes. You don't have to assume with Brembo or Zimmermann because they have their qualifications published on their website.

So you go ahead and assume based on absolutely nothing but a hunch. And the product in question is supposed to stop you car. Go for it. Call me goddamn crazy, but I don't like to ASSUME anything about the quality of my brakes.

Metal is metal? Really. You have no idea what you're talking about. And the argument that "I had Brembos fail" means what exactly? That just because they can fail you now have more faith in cheap, unproven brakes? How does this even make sense?

You have no idea the thermal and mechanical stresses that are put on brakes even in daily driving. These things stop a VEHICLE AT SPEED. You don't have to be tracking a vehicle in order for heat fractures to occur ESPECIALLY if the brakes are not properly manufactured.

There is nothing wrong with stuff made in China as many have said in this thread. Many major manufacturers have production facilities in China. But you know what? They hold them to a certain standard. How about these brakes? What standard are they being held to? Chris Farley's?

But go ahead, it's your car. It's your life. Doesn't effect me in the least.
__________________

Last edited by choxor; 06-09-2012 at 01:49 AM.
choxor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 01:46 AM   #195
Mango
A full five stars, son
 
Mango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22,794
My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by choxor View Post
You talk about not assuming. However, you ASSUME that some sort of testing and QC has been done on these brakes. You don't have to assume with Brembo or Zimmermann because they have their qualifications published on their website.

So you go ahead and assume based on absolutely nothing but a hunch. And the product in question is supposed to stop you car. Go for it. Call me goddamn crazy, but I don't like to ASSUME anything about the quality of my brakes.

Metal is metal? Really. You have no idea what you're talking about.
Couldn't have said it better. This guy comes out of nowhere (never saw him here before in my life) and starts saying this off the wall stuff. It's so ridiculous I almost think it's a troll. Metal is metal... LOL. Don't even know where to begin--the best option is to not. Just ignore him.
__________________
A lifetime free of problems if you follow my guides
Cooling | Maintenance | Suspension | Vacuum | Supreme Reliability | Details

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 02:00 AM   #196
Mango
A full five stars, son
 
Mango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22,794
My Ride: M54B30
BTW, here's a neat video from EBC. Fun starts at two min.

__________________
A lifetime free of problems if you follow my guides
Cooling | Maintenance | Suspension | Vacuum | Supreme Reliability | Details

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 04:43 AM   #197
aphhpa
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: West Point, NY
Posts: 1,448
My Ride: 2001 330Ci
Send a message via AIM to aphhpa
Dmax, do you not get enough attention in life? Working awfully hard here to impress mango. Ps- shrine, coolant, brake dust..... Make sense when you insult someone or just don't.
__________________
aphhpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 04:44 AM   #198
aphhpa
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: West Point, NY
Posts: 1,448
My Ride: 2001 330Ci
Send a message via AIM to aphhpa
I admit I feel slightly stupid for arguing with a dude who names himself mango on a car enthusiast forum with a avatar of his sister holding a piece of fruit. Might as well punch a 5th grader in the face.
__________________
aphhpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 05:03 AM   #199
dmax
Registered User
 
dmax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 22,834
My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Originally Posted by aphhpa View Post
Dmax, do you not get enough attention in life? Working awfully hard here to impress mango. Ps- shrine, coolant, brake dust..... Make sense when you insult someone or just don't.
No, I don't get enough attention; I think that's obvious. Otherwise, why would I stand in front of a total group of strangers here or IRL to get it?

I wasn't insulting Mango, but find that sarcasm and lying is a great way to disagree with people. I'm not as worried about your rotors flying apart as him and was writing for you, just in case you got freaked out by the thought that that could happen to you.

You bought rotors no one here has heard of before. At best, you'll find a decent alternative; at worst, I'd guess that your braking will be worse than OE. In every brake thread, I've been pretty consistent in saying that you shouldn't care about dust, and if you track just a few times a year, you shouldn't worry about track pads.

No insult intended to anyone; I'm just writing what I think and some of that is made up (I really don't have a shrine)!

No worries, OP...I'll get my attention elsewhere.
__________________


Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 01:39 PM   #200
Stinger9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 7,841
My Ride: '04 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
BTW, here's a neat video from EBC. Fun starts at two min.

Oh rubbish! Are you trying to tell me that centuries of accumulating metallurgical knowledge by the steel industry (http://www.timken.com/en-us/products...s/default.aspx) and developing hundreds of different alloys thru additives and heat treatment processes makes any difference? Surface hardness and extra attention taken to quality control for tolerances at every manufacturing step is something I should care about?
I'm sure those caring Chinese are up nights thinking about extracting the highest quality braking experience for us. I'm thinking about sending them some iron from my scrap pile so they can cast some rotor billets for me.

Excellent video! Thanks for hunting it up for us.
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use