E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-06-2012, 07:43 PM   #81
Zell
Registered User
 
Zell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Such City
Posts: 5,703
My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
Quote:
Originally Posted by DW500 View Post
And Meyles are reportedly made in China and Thailand.

DW
So are many parts on our car. It's about reputation and quality control. Meyle is a well-established company with very good parts, and they stand behind them. Very few people have issues with any of their parts, particularly suspension components, on these forums.

I personally have no problem with parts being outsourced from reputable companies from Germany. I know how quality control works...I've worked directly with the complex statistics behind it. The workers follow the specifications set by the main company, which is based in Germany, who have strict quality control rules. If they aren't followed, they're not going to have jobs much longer.

It doesn't matter if the factory is in India, Japan, or Brazil: they all follow the exact standards that are set from the main company. Subaru has an American plant - their quality does not suffer. They follow the same standards as in Japan. Shoot, I've got a Craftsman socket set that was made in China, and it has been the most solid set I've ever owned.

People need to understand the difference between a reputable company that outsources, and a no-name brand that outsources...
__________________
Zell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:51 PM   #82
Stinger9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 7,840
My Ride: '04 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
No problem, D.

BTW, some of you ppl, stop getting caught up in the name 'Callahan.' These chinese copycats take the most vague, american-sounding names and apply them to their rotors to give potential customers the impression that there's a reputable sounding familiar or techy sounding name behind it when in fact they're mass-produced by one guy and resold by many.

Here's some of the names that come up for E46 rotors on eBay:

BrakeMotive
PrimeChoice
R1
Eline performance
Callahan
ABT
Powerbrakes
FastSource
Dura Int'l
Parts Master
Powersport

This was just the first page too... lol
Never, ever, ever stop spreading this message. Nothing that gives any hint that it comes from China should ever touch your car. All materials should be suspect, and all parts are of questionable reliability. I believe that.

However, read this for some very interesting facts: http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2502352
And make sure you download the pdf to see the government report.
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:08 PM   #83
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector
 
tock172's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,898
My Ride: '99 Techno Violet M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
Nothing that gives any hint that it comes from China should ever touch your car. All materials should be suspect, and all parts are of questionable reliability. I believe that.
Okay, so I guess I'll stop putting my iPhone and iPad in my BMW then?

This is ridiculous. What all of the individuals with brains in this thread are saying is to avoid the so-called, 'no-name,' likely Chinese made parts, for example, Callahan rotors which are sold under a myriad of different names as Mango pointed out.

Meyle makes parts in China. BMW has a partnership setup in China as well. Millions of Apple products are made in China. Does the quality suffer? Nope. It's all about the quality control standards which are being adhered to. All of the name brand manufacturers use these standards. ISO9001, ISO14000, etc. The no name brands, like Callahan, don't adhere to these standards. A factory can be located anywhere on earth or in the universe, as long as it has follows uniform quality control standards, you can trust the parts.

Don't be ignorant.

And no, a rotor is not just a hunk of metal, they are easy to **** up during the manufacturing process. Do you want to come smelt some with me in my backyard?
__________________


1999 Techno Violet Metallic BMW M3
2005 Audi B6 S4 quattro 6MT
2004 BMW 330i
1986 BMW 535i

tock172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:12 PM   #84
choxor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 4,423
My Ride: JDM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tock172 View Post
Okay, so I guess I'll stop putting my iPhone and iPad in my BMW then?

This is ridiculous. What all of the individuals with brains in this thread are saying is to avoid the so-called, 'no-name,' likely Chinese made parts, for example, Callahan rotors which are sold under a myriad of different names as Mango pointed out.

Meyle makes parts in China. BMW has a partnership setup in China as well. Millions of Apple products are made in China. Does the quality suffer? Nope. It's all about the quality control standards which are being adhered to. All of the name brand manufacturers use these standards. ISO9001, ISO14000, etc. The no name brands, like Callahan, don't adhere to these standards. A factory can be located anywhere on earth or in the universe, as long as it has follows uniform quality control standards, you can trust the parts.

Don't be ignorant.

And no, a rotor is not just a hunk of metal, they are easy to **** up during the manufacturing process. Do you want to come smelt some with me in my backyard?
I wanna smelt with you!
__________________
choxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:23 PM   #85
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector
 
tock172's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,898
My Ride: '99 Techno Violet M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by choxor View Post
I wanna smelt with you!
I am a level 85 smelting skill.
__________________


1999 Techno Violet Metallic BMW M3
2005 Audi B6 S4 quattro 6MT
2004 BMW 330i
1986 BMW 535i


Last edited by tock172; 06-06-2012 at 09:24 PM.
tock172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:29 PM   #86
choxor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 4,423
My Ride: JDM
Quality assurance and proof of ISO compliance for Zimmermann:
http://www.otto-zimmermann.de/de/oe-...sicherung.html

How about some Brembo:
http://www.brembo.com/en/il-gruppo/q...alita.aspx?p=2

And here we have Callahan:
Oh ****, they don't have a site! Hmm. Just like Tock said, there's NOTHING wrong with stuff made in China. What matters is adherence to standards and QC practices. Now, go ahead and buy your ebay brakes. You may get lucky and get a bang on great product the first time, but the next time you might get completely useless ****. It all depends on which 10-year-old is casting them. And for the love of baby Jesus up in heaven, don't buy CROSS DRILLED no name ebay rotors. That's just asking for trouble.

Do it. Buy these el cheapo rotors. Personally, I won't. Saving a few bucks isn't worth putting my life, the life of my wife, or any friends who ride in my car in danger. If you're in such bad financial shape that you have to buy **** like this for critical components maybe you need to downgrade to another car brand.



Quote:
Originally Posted by tock172 View Post
I am a level 85 smelting skill.
Me too! But I must warn you, I only smelt naked. I like a little danger.
__________________

Last edited by choxor; 06-06-2012 at 09:31 PM.
choxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:34 PM   #87
Stinger9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 7,840
My Ride: '04 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by tock172 View Post
Okay, so I guess I'll stop putting my iPhone and iPad in my BMW then?

This is ridiculous. What all of the individuals with brains in this thread are saying is to avoid the so-called, 'no-name,' likely Chinese made parts, for example, Callahan rotors which are sold under a myriad of different names as Mango pointed out.
I think we agree. I should have been more clear by defining chinese products as those originating in china rather than manufactured there under the banner of major reliable brands to their specs. There are two tiers of quality in my view.

I own a chinese made mac, etc.

http://www.thebrakeman.com/rotortech


http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...&Number=944095

Last edited by Stinger9; 06-08-2012 at 08:35 PM.
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:50 PM   #88
Mango
A full five stars, son
 
Mango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22,752
My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by choxor View Post
Quality assurance and proof of ISO compliance for Zimmermann:
http://www.otto-zimmermann.de/de/oe-...sicherung.html

How about some Brembo:
http://www.brembo.com/en/il-gruppo/q...alita.aspx?p=2

And here we have Callahan:
Oh ****, they don't have a site! Hmm. Just like Tock said, there's NOTHING wrong with stuff made in China. What matters is adherence to standards and QC practices. Now, go ahead and buy your ebay brakes. You may get lucky and get a bang on great product the first time, but the next time you might get completely useless ****. It all depends on which 10-year-old is casting them. And for the love of baby Jesus up in heaven, don't buy CROSS DRILLED no name ebay rotors. That's just asking for trouble.

Do it. Buy these el cheapo rotors. Personally, I won't. Saving a few bucks isn't worth putting my life, the life of my wife, or any friends who ride in my car in danger. If you're in such bad financial shape that you have to buy **** like this for critical components maybe you need to downgrade to another car brand.





Me too! But I must warn you, I only smelt naked. I like a little danger.
Do U has room on ur friends list for additional friend? And--wow, smelting power? I want a smelt level.

Also, yes, as Tock pointed out--nothing wrong with products made in China. I think I pointed that out too when I said it's not so much that these products are Chinese, it's that their design and manufacturing processes are likely not up to spec of their name-brand counterparts.

As I said, moot point how much money you're saving. Bottom line is you're installing unknown products for brakes. Period.

And the five people in line to sample my rotors? I officially take away -249 MP. 1MP away from block. Whenever you endanger lives, it's a massive reduction in MP. MASSIVE!!
__________________
A lifetime free of problems if you follow my guides
Cooling | Maintenance | Suspension | Vacuum | Supreme Reliability | Details

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:01 PM   #89
sillieidiot
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: the OC
Posts: 44,118
My Ride: '06 AW 330ci
Send a message via AIM to sillieidiot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa01e46 View Post
Mango... Dude, i just stated what I meant. LIKE I SAID with rotors you have FOUR of them, and if one goes out/cracks, you have 3 others that will compensate for it.
lol i like your thinking. but that is just wrong. it only takes one failure to put you in danger. take for example you're on the freeway, one of your rotors crack, then explodes or something and suddenly you're spinning out on the freeway. tell how do the other 3 rotors help you? lol

apply the same reasoning to wheels, and it's even more apparent the logic doesn't work. 3 wheels aren't going to hold up your car.
__________________
I like to reply to threads with 0 posts




Have a lighting problem? Read this first:
Lighting-related Troubleshooting Guide
sillieidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:05 PM   #90
Mephiston2k
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: UK - Lichfield
Posts: 13
My Ride: 330ci Coupe
Always go OEM for brakes unless you are upgrading to larger discs/calliper's. Cheap discs will warp and overheat far faster requiring replacement more often. Cheap pads will crack under the heat also. It's not worth the hassle, I'm not suggesting they will fail completely but will likely cause you more cost and grief in the long run.

The methods and techniques used to make these items are very specific and quality in both method and materials is essential. The chinese are not well known for this when they are copying items.

Another note to remember, many manufacturers have factories in China in order to reduce import costs as the cost to sell products via import is crazy high which makes it cheaper for companies to set up manufacturing sites within China and sell from there.
__________________
I want to go out quietly in my sleep like my grandfather, and not screaming and crying like his passengers
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that who cares?... He's a mile away and you've got his shoes

Mephiston2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:10 PM   #91
Zell
Registered User
 
Zell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Such City
Posts: 5,703
My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
I mean yeah I see your reasoning, you're going to have 3 rotors left if one breaks on you. But have you seen a rotor stress test? When they go, it's quite a bang. I think Brembo has some videos of it on YouTube, it's actually pretty cool. But you gotta be REALLY REALLY REALLY stopping hard a lot to blow up a rotor. It'll fracture or crack well before that. You'd notice vibrations and noises before something catastrophic.
__________________
Zell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:24 PM   #92
boostedisbetter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 1,615
My Ride: 03 S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
I mean yeah I see your reasoning, you're going to have 3 rotors left if one breaks on you. But have you seen a rotor stress test? When they go, it's quite a bang. I think Brembo has some videos of it on YouTube, it's actually pretty cool. But you gotta be REALLY REALLY REALLY stopping hard a lot to blow up a rotor. It'll fracture or crack well before that. You'd notice vibrations and noises before something catastrophic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillieidiot View Post

apply the same reasoning to wheels, and it's even more apparent the logic doesn't work. 3 wheels aren't going to hold up your car.
Okay, but your a wheel is completely independent. If one cracks your screwed. Try not to think of it in numbers, maybe that was a bad example, think of it as having a backup. Do you guys understand how RARE it is have a rotor actually "explode". Like you said "REALLY REALLY REALLY stopping hard", which ABS would prevent us from doing anyway I'd think. Also, you would notice stress cracks way before a catastrophic failure like that, assuming you inspect your car regularly.

I'm just saying it's not the worst thing the OP could put on his car, and it SURE AS HELL is not "Like having no rotors at all".


I do want to make it clear though, I agree that these rotors might not last as long as others.
__________________
carsig

Last edited by boostedisbetter; 06-06-2012 at 11:25 PM.
boostedisbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:27 PM   #93
choxor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 4,423
My Ride: JDM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa01e46 View Post
Okay, but your a wheel is completely independent. If one cracks your screwed. Try not to think of it in numbers, maybe that was a bad example, think of it as having a backup.
No, it's not a backup. You're confusing separate redundant systems with components comprising a single system. Your brake system is a single system, each rotor is simply a component of it. I don't want ANY component to be at risk of failing.
__________________
choxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:45 PM   #94
sillieidiot
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: the OC
Posts: 44,118
My Ride: '06 AW 330ci
Send a message via AIM to sillieidiot
Quote:
Originally Posted by choxor View Post
No, it's not a backup. You're confusing separate redundant systems with components comprising a single system. Your brake system is a single system, each rotor is simply a component of it. I don't want ANY component to be at risk of failing.
this is exactly what i was trying to get at. the rotors don't work separately to slow the car down, they work together. which is what i was trying to illustrate with the wheels example.

i do agree that it's hard for a rotor to explode. however, with unknown quality control, i'm fairly confident that the risk is increased greatly compared to OEM or other brand name quality rotors.
__________________
I like to reply to threads with 0 posts




Have a lighting problem? Read this first:
Lighting-related Troubleshooting Guide
sillieidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:48 PM   #95
boostedisbetter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 1,615
My Ride: 03 S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by choxor View Post
No, it's not a backup. You're confusing separate redundant systems with components comprising a single system. Your brake system is a single system, each rotor is simply a component of it. I don't want ANY component to be at risk of failing.
A single rotor is a part of a system called your brakes, got it. A good wheel cannot compensate for a broken wheel, a good rotor can however compensate for a broken rotor. If you bust a rotor, you still have some braking power, if you crack a wheel, you spin out of control.
__________________
carsig

Last edited by boostedisbetter; 06-06-2012 at 11:50 PM.
boostedisbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:52 PM   #96
paraklas
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Cyprus
Posts: 5,922
My Ride: ESS TS2 320ci
If you manage to bust a rotor, there is an extremely high probability that other braking components such as brake lines, caliper, are damaged as well. Bust a brake line in the process and you have no brakes at all. Bust a caliper (or take away the piston in it) and again, no brakes.
__________________
http://www.argyrides.eu/makeyourownsig.jpg
paraklas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:54 PM   #97
MJLavelle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Charlotte NC
Posts: 2,753
My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by LD330XI View Post
and the whole Tommy Boy reference kind of threw me off..
Room Service!
I saw that movie too many times......
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:57 PM   #98
sillieidiot
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: the OC
Posts: 44,118
My Ride: '06 AW 330ci
Send a message via AIM to sillieidiot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa01e46 View Post
A single rotor is a part of a system called your brakes, got it. A good wheel cannot compensate for a broken wheel, a good rotor can however compensate for a broken rotor. If you bust a rotor, you still have some braking power, if you crack a wheel, you spin out of control.
some = not 100%. that's already a problem. what if you need 100% of the braking power? yep, you're screwed. heck even in some rare instances, 100% isn't even enough. but it will help more than having less to start out with.
__________________
I like to reply to threads with 0 posts




Have a lighting problem? Read this first:
Lighting-related Troubleshooting Guide
sillieidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:57 PM   #99
choxor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 4,423
My Ride: JDM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa01e46 View Post
A single rotor is a part of a system called your brakes, got it. A good wheel cannot compensate for a broken wheel, a good rotor can however compensate for a broken rotor. If you bust a rotor, you still have some braking power, if you crack a wheel, you spin out of control.
I think it's a little more than that. If you lose braking force for one wheel you now have uneven brake force, which is bad. And the front brakes do WAY more of the work than the back brakes. They DO NOT ALL EVENLY CONTRIBUTE TO STOPPING THE CAR.

Then toss in the fact that DCS uses the brakes and you're into all sorts of fun possibilities.

Point is moot, though. I simply will not put myself in a position where there is even the faintest possibility of this happening. I will not buy brakes that do not adhere to manufacturing and QC standards.

In systems analysis we have what's called sunny day and rainy day scenarios. First you go through and document how the system is SUPPOSED to work, which is the sunny day scenario. Then you go through each step and ask WHAT IF.

Well, what if my wife is driving my car in a rain storm in heavy traffic here in Atlanta, one of the rotors fractures due to shitty manufacturing and she cannot brake properly. Rainy day scenario.

Now some of you can be blind to the what if's and look at the sunny day scenario only. I, however, have a little more sense.
__________________
choxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:55 AM   #100
boostedisbetter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 1,615
My Ride: 03 S2000
The probability of a rotor busting like that and causing catastrophic failure are slim to none... That's all I'm saying. You are bound to get a wobble or be able to visually inspect the rotor to see if anything is going wrong with them before that happens. Find ONE instance where this has ever happened...
__________________
carsig
boostedisbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use