E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 26 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-08-2012, 05:17 PM   #161
05graysport

My Ride: 46/325 B5/S4 39/M5
Lots of ignorance here. If most of us here were to resort to the cheapest item on the block, I doubt we would be driving 7-12 year old vehicles and dumping money in it.

Brake rotors are alloys molded, end of matter. The heating point on China 1 vs Brembo 1 is not going to be much different, if anything. A larger rotor, more piston caliper, properly torquing your bolts are going to be more pertinent than China vs Brembo.

In fact, if you get down to the gritty of it, bet half of the rotors that are labeled with a brand name are from some province in China, or around the Far East. Just like the Logo of BMW sold you, the logo of Brembo sold you.

The OP is perfectly fine in his purchase. However, one should just make sure that it does perform well after a few runs and all is well. After that, brembo or nembo, does not matter. If he is driving in 115F with 15 consecutive hammers on the brake pedal, he might notice a difference in performance, brake fail, overheat, warp issue.

For normal street driving, he is perfectly fine. His Callagan from Chinatown A, is the same as your Brembo from Chinatown B, but since you chose to spend more money, you get a better brand name, just like choosing a BMW over a Honda.

Engine parts would not be recommened for cheaper replacements. Almost all of the rims that bend are so poorly made, people just buy them blindly for looks and get screwed into paying more. If you took your car to a indy repair shop, he is most likely gonna slap on some chinas and send you packing, you won't notice a difference. For some peace of mind, for others, scratching off Made in China and writing Brembo does the deal, bottom line, its the same crap, its alloy metals, does'nt matter.

Save your money, but some people have more than others, to each his own. I would go OEM all around, but I would source them from a cheaper online source and self install. The extra savings is not worth playing games to me, to others it is.

Have a good weekend ladies.
05graysport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:23 PM   #162
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector

My Ride: '99 Techno Violet M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05graysport View Post
Lots of ignorance here. If most of us here were to resort to the cheapest item on the block, I doubt we would be driving 7-12 year old vehicles and dumping money in it.

Brake rotors are alloys molded, end of matter. The heating point on China 1 vs Brembo 1 is not going to be much different, if anything. A larger rotor, more piston caliper, properly torquing your bolts are going to be more pertinent than China vs Brembo.

In fact, if you get down to the gritty of it, bet half of the rotors that are labeled with a brand name are from some province in China, or around the Far East. Just like the Logo of BMW sold you, the logo of Brembo sold you.

The OP is perfectly fine in his purchase. However, one should just make sure that it does perform well after a few runs and all is well. After that, brembo or nembo, does not matter. If he is driving in 115F with 15 consecutive hammers on the brake pedal, he might notice a difference in performance, brake fail, overheat, warp issue.

For normal street driving, he is perfectly fine. His Callagan from Chinatown A, is the same as your Brembo from Chinatown B, but since you chose to spend more money, you get a better brand name, just like choosing a BMW over a Honda.

Engine parts would not be recommened for cheaper replacements. Almost all of the rims that bend are so poorly made, people just buy them blindly for looks and get screwed into paying more. If you took your car to a indy repair shop, he is most likely gonna slap on some chinas and send you packing, you won't notice a difference. For some peace of mind, for others, scratching off Made in China and writing Brembo does the deal, bottom line, its the same crap, its alloy metals, does'nt matter.

Save your money, but some people have more than others, to each his own. I would go OEM all around, but I would source them from a cheaper online source and self install. The extra savings is not worth playing games to me, to others it is.

Have a good weekend ladies.
Allow me to quote myself:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tock172 View Post
This is ridiculous. What all of the individuals with brains in this thread are saying is to avoid the so-called, 'no-name,' likely Chinese made parts, for example, Callahan rotors which are sold under a myriad of different names as Mango pointed out.

Meyle makes parts in China. BMW has a partnership setup in China as well. Millions of Apple products are made in China. Does the quality suffer? Nope. It's all about the quality control standards which are being adhered to. All of the name brand manufacturers use these standards. ISO9001, ISO14000, etc. The no name brands, like Callahan, don't adhere to these standards. A factory can be located anywhere on earth or in the universe, as long as it has follows uniform quality control standards, you can trust the parts.

Also, he saved $0.68 cents ordering unknown Callahan rotors vs ordering well known brands from BMA parts.

1999 Techno Violet Metallic M3
Bilstein | Kosei K1 Racing | Toyo Proxes R888 | BMW CCA #430881

tock172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:25 PM   #163
epistaxis2008

My Ride: 2002 330ci
Quote:

Also, he saved $0.68 cents ordering unknown Callahan rotors vs ordering well known brands from BMA parts.
O snap... $0.68

I want in...

Sent from my PG86100 using Bimmer App
epistaxis2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:28 PM   #164
MercForHire

My Ride: Estoril Blue 228i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa01e46 View Post
...and gas
Wrong.
Bein using 87 gas all year long.
Gets 26 mpg
MercForHire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:34 PM   #165
05graysport

Quote:

Amen.

Lets just throw away one more point too. The drilled rotors. It's mainly made for show, it may SEEM to dissipate more heat and have SHOWN to do so in numerous bogus tests, where the driver did acrobats. When your rotor is doing the revolutions it does, and your pad is against the rotor there is no room for air to flow, any rotor will cool in time, unless your driving the Indy 500. Slotted rotors perform slightly better since the grooves make room on the rotor where the pad does not apply, but to get that benefit, you need to reach the threshold required to see it, which is not possible during normal street driving.

Plus, drilled rotors are more prone to cracking.

Lastly, the 2012 Audi S6 has 15 inch front rotors, 13 inch rear rotors, NOT slotted or drilled, and the braking time is less than a 2012 BMW M5 with 16 inch front DRILLED and 15 inch rear DRILLED rotors, even assuming the weight difference in the two vehicles, which is negligent, and Audi has the Torsen Quattro to add in.

Old 06-08-2012, 05:37 PM   #166
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
BMW is synonymous with quality. That being said, their parts suppliers are ATE (Continental-Teves) <--See what I did there, Tock?, Bosch, Brembo, Textar, Siemens-VDO, Behr. NOT Cornbread Racing F1, DAZZ Motorsports, CX Racing, Callahan, etc.

As simple as they look, there's extremely high standards involved when designing and manufacturing brake rotors. Particular trade-secret alloys are used in the materials, machining, balancing, multiple heat treatment (hardening) processes. Then do you have the experience and equipment to ensure quality consistency?

Guess which one is the Chinese-designed-manufactured budget rotor and which is Brembo:

1)

2)

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:38 PM   #167
05graysport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercForHire View Post
Wrong.
Bein using 87 gas all year long.
Gets 26 mpg
93 octane will give you more mileage per full tank, if your a highway driver. Higher Knock Index will also give you more horsepower at crank and better power band Torque distribution.

Having an Inline 6 engine, if your going to dump regular gas in there, at least realize it is not going to give you the same power and mileage. The 20 cents you save per gallon at the pump may cost you 3.00 or 4.00 more per tank, which would mean you would need to get more than 20-25 miles out of the whole premium tank, which is easily done.

Have a look at this, its interesting.

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/f...ng_comparison/

87-Octane Unleaded: 396.0 hp/401.3 lb-ft

91-Octane Unleaded: 402.1 hp/409.4 lb-ft
Old 06-08-2012, 05:43 PM   #168
05graysport

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
BMW is synonymous with quality. That being said, their parts suppliers are ATE (Continental-Teves) <--See what I did there, Tock?, Bosch, Brembo, Textar, Siemens-VDO, Behr. NOT Cornbread Racing F1, DAZZ Motorsports, CX Racing, Callahan, etc.

As simple as they look, there's extremely high standards involved when designing and manufacturing brake rotors. Particular trade-secret alloys are used in the materials, machining, balancing, multiple heat treatment (hardening) processes. Then do you have the experience and equipment to ensure quality consistency?

Guess which one is the Chinese-designed-manufactured budget rotor and which is Brembo:

1)

2)
Guess which are made in China? Both

Although, there is some mixture argument to be had, but knowing what China does these days, they even make the Iphone, I don't think going to Autozone and buying a brembo rotor would be much better than a cheap Ebay set. Gotta really go OEM to know.

All Brembo Blanks are made in China now. Fact Confirmed, call Brembo and ask them.
Old 06-08-2012, 05:43 PM   #169
Tex323GripIsKey

My Ride: 2000 323i Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
We don't have the video uploaded yet. George, BeMyWhip, did it for me.

I'm thinking it might be tilted upsidedown, but have a volunteer that can turn it anywhich way we need! IDK, being sideways is kind of cool...makes you ignore me much better and listen more to my nonsense.

No?
Hahaha, camera was mounted wrong on the stand? I'll just turn my monitor upside down jk you should have a video editor fix that.. With people putting Callahan rotors on their cars... i'm sure some of them still have old ass 50lb monitors o.O.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetness View Post
I used to drive fast and cowboy around, but then I realized that I can't even afford bumping into someone, so now it's slow and classy, with occasional spurts of speed. Fanatics might pick on each other from time to time, but we are all one great big family that looks out for each other in the end.
Quote:
I pull up to meets, lean to one side, shakin my finger at all da playahaterz. Then I get back into my car and flash mah beamz.
323i brakes & rotors
Tex323GripIsKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:44 PM   #170
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05graysport View Post
Guess which are made in China? Both

Although, there is some mixture argument to be had, but knowing what China does these days, they even make the Iphone, I don't think going to Autozone and buying a brembo rotor would be much better than a cheap Ebay set. Gotta really go OEM to know.

All Brembo Blanks are made in China now. Fact Confirmed, call Brembo and ask them.
My Brembo box said made it Italy. Besides, that's not the point. If you understand and read, you'll see that I said designed-manufactured in China. Not simply manufactured in China.

Why do I find myself repeating this several times throughout this thread. Please read before you post.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 06-08-2012, 05:51 PM   #171
Tex323GripIsKey

Who cares where it was made? Quality control and alloy formulas.... this alone should make you want to spend .68 cents for peace of mind. Maybe in fact the chances of failure are the same as being struck by lightning, but **** you guys I'm not about to chance that! It DOES happen. Porche girl. 'nuff said.

Quote:
I used to drive fast and cowboy around, but then I realized that I can't even afford bumping into someone, so now it's slow and classy, with occasional spurts of speed. Fanatics might pick on each other from time to time, but we are all one great big family that looks out for each other in the end.
Quote:
I pull up to meets, lean to one side, shakin my finger at all da playahaterz. Then I get back into my car and flash mah beamz.
323i brakes & rotors

Last edited by Tex323GripIsKey; 06-08-2012 at 06:09 PM.
Old 06-08-2012, 05:59 PM   #172
Mango
A full five stars, son

Yawn.

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brand...tab=production

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brake...or&make=Brembo

BTW, Brembo rotors are made all over the world: (not that country of manufacturing has much to do with anything)

http://www.brembo.com/en/il-gruppo/q...i-qualita.aspx

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 06-08-2012, 06:33 PM   #173
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Mango once mentioned never letting his car get worked on by a guy by the name of something...can't remember...it was either Scandinavian or Latino...maybe Latvian. Anyway, hopefully he'll remember the name and report it here. Then someone could do some searching to see whether anyone by that name works for a brake company you're considering buying from. If so, just move on.

Personally, I think my Slovakian bearings are the best. My Mann OE oil filter is Mexican, and my SAP filter is made in the US of A.

Zip tie on center vents from China. Only one failure so far!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 06:41 PM   #174
epistaxis2008

Quote:
Mango once mentioned never letting his car get worked on by a guy by the name of something...can't remember...it was either Scandinavian or Latino...maybe Latvian. Anyway, hopefully he'll remember the name and report it here. Then someone could do some searching to see whether anyone by that name works for a brake company you're considering buying from. If so, just move on.

Personally, I think my Slovakian bearings are the best. My Mann OE oil filter is Mexican, and my SAP filter is made in the US of A.

Zip tie on center vents from China. Only one failure so far!
Do u have a pic of the zip tie apparatus??? I wanna see what u diyed...I have lots of zipties in and around my car since I bought it ans was wondering if ur way is one I could add. My fav on my car is my front left abs sensor that I diyed...zipties 4lyfe sonnnnnn!!!

I used to work for suckcast cable and u shoulda seen some of my installs I am the ziptie king!!!

Sent from my PG86100 using ziptie App
Old 06-08-2012, 06:43 PM   #175
Mango
A full five stars, son

D, if I snuck onto your New Jersey farmland and installed Callahan rotors and Kamikaze brake pads on your car, would you hold it against me? Say I did this right before our Fix Your Damn E46 Tour?

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 06-08-2012, 06:43 PM   #176
Tex323GripIsKey

Quote:
Quote:
323i brakes & rotors
Old 06-08-2012, 07:11 PM   #177
epistaxis2008

Quote:
D, if I snuck onto your New Jersey farmland and installed Callahan rotors and Kamikaze brake pads on your car, would you hold it against me? Say I did this right before our Fix Your Damn E46 Tour?
Free parts are free parts. U get what u get and you don't get upset...

Old 06-08-2012, 07:22 PM   #178
dmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by epistaxis2008 View Post
Free parts are free parts. U get what u get and you don't get upset...

No, Mango, I'd be royally pissed and wouldn't ever 'speak' with you again!

I invested hours engineering my rotors down to the finest detail.

I used my Dremel round bit tool to cut little dimples in my rotors. When they spin at 65 mph, from the side, you can read "dmax" on them. When I brake hard you can hear them humming America the Beautiful. If it's a long slow braking event they clearly 'speak' the words, "Hey, Baby. Sup?" (Got me in a bit of trouble a few times already.)

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

Old 06-08-2012, 07:38 PM   #179
Tex323GripIsKey

Quote:
No, Mango, I'd be royally pissed and wouldn't ever 'speak' with you again!

I invested hours engineering my rotors down to the finest detail.

I used my Dremel round bit tool to cut little dimples in my rotors. When they spin at 65 mph, from the side, you can read "dmax" on them. When I brake hard you can hear them humming America the Beautiful. If it's a long slow braking event they clearly 'speak' the words, "Hey, Baby. Sup?" (Got me in a bit of trouble a few times already.)
Omfg. This has to be the funniest thing you have said on this forum to date...

people probably were looking at me weird because I just "lol'd" my face off.

Quote:
Quote:
323i brakes & rotors
Old 06-08-2012, 08:28 PM   #180
dmax

Thank you Tex! It's not the funniest, though. I don't know what was the funniest, but for some reason, the biggest laugh I ever got here was when SolidJake and I were in some thread...the OP had a car issue...Jake asked what car he had and the OP said "BMW." Maybe you had to be there.

Also, the thought my Beagle thread spawned one of the funniest days I've ever had here...I was protesting a mod moving my "General general chat thread" to OT.

Maybe I'll just start a new one in OT.