E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 20 votes, 4.80 average. Display Modes
Old 03-18-2013, 01:03 PM   #21
eksath

My Ride: 02 330ci TopazBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoj View Post
Thanks for all the details . But i guess the $176.77 price does not seem to be long gone? i cannot seem to find anything short of $250ish for OEM (the only route i would go).

By the way, thanks jfoj for all the info.

www.starracer.us
---------------------------------------------
People believe in Ghosts, UFOs, talking to the dead, advertising, magic, curses, voodoo dolls, Elvis' death faked, the Great Pumpkin, Tupac still lives, the WWF, that all the moon walks were staged, real unstaged audience questions in talk shows, JFK's conspiracy assination theories, TWA 800 shoot down conspiracy theories, the image of the Virgin Mary appearing on a left over pizza, that Dr. Laura has no bias, that homosexuality is a choice, the guests on Jerry Springer, the TV illness of the month, that guns don't hurt people do, that CNN doesn't hype stories, the Osbornes not being staged, that a pill can make you loose weight without ever dieting or excercising, that there's a cure for baldness, aging and being short, that Britney Spears doesn't lip sync, That KFC is a healthy food choice, that the British Royal family isn't disfunctional, that there really were weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, that all Arabs are the same, that Muslims encompass everyone from Indonesia to Morocco and they are all extremists, that all Americans are the same, that's it's always cold in Canada, that cigarettes aren't addictive, that it's ok to drink but not ok to smoke up.........and on and on and on and on...... so what on Earth makes anyone believe that there is something unusual about people fearing the number 13 or astrology?
eksath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:12 PM   #22
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Prices are up but you can do better if you use:

www.furiousmethod.com

I found one cheaper this morning.

EDIT: you could be right. tried again and prices are high. time for me to consider off brand I guess.

Last edited by Stinger9; 03-18-2013 at 01:18 PM.
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 03:50 PM   #23
rsyed07

My Ride: 330i
Quote:
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but as from my previous thread I'm going to replace my DISA unit. I cannot seem to find the actual part on that site anymore. $175 is a bargain compared to other sites and dealer pricing.
rsyed07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 04:01 PM   #24
jfoj

My Ride: 330CiC, M5, X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsyed07 View Post
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but as from my previous thread I'm going to replace my DISA unit. I cannot seem to find the actual part on that site anymore. $175 is a bargain compared to other sites and dealer pricing.
Unfortunately there was a BIG price hike, I cannot recall, but they went up about $75.

An option, but you need to understand the option is the German Auto Solutions DISA valve repair kit. But this does not address a leaking or blown vacuum diaphragm.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temp, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose temp switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 04:21 PM   #25
JapanRot325ci

My Ride: '04 M54b25Ci
a disa valve is something you don't to fuk around with. just go OEM and you wont regret it.
JapanRot325ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:40 PM   #26
rsyed07

My Ride: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by JapanRot325ci View Post
a disa valve is something you don't to fuk around with. just go OEM and you wont regret it.
Yea i was going to go OEM regardless I figured the one jfoj mentioned was OEM for $177. Regardless, I bought a new one today from the dealer and installed it. DISA is fixed.
rsyed07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 09:34 PM   #27
camrydriver111

My Ride: 05 325i
Quote:
An option, but you need to understand the option is the German Auto Solutions DISA valve repair kit. But this does not address a leaking or blown vacuum diaphragm.
Interesting. I was thinking about using the kit but now I may just replace the whole thing.

Everyone seems to claim their vacuum is good when they use the kit.
camrydriver111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 11:41 PM   #28
hitbyastick

My Ride: 2002 325i
I used the GAS kit preemptively on a DISA valve that was fine that I obtained from a forum member for free. I also have the original and it's fine as well. If this one fails somehow I'll just switch the kit over to the other one. I don't see the problem. Cheaper than a new valve and I have other issues to spend the money on.
Old 04-15-2015, 01:50 AM   #29
SilberVogel
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2002 330Ci Conv.
Quote:
Originally Posted by camrydriver111 View Post
Interesting. I was thinking about using the kit but now I may just replace the whole thing.

Everyone seems to claim their vacuum is good when they use the kit.
For what it's worth, you can easily test the vacuum pot in step #4 here: http://germanautosolutions.com/diy_t...sa_kit_diy.php and if it eventually does go bad, G.A.S. offers a 5 year warranty on all the original remaining parts of the DISA. They'll credit you the full price of the kit towards a new DISA if the vacuum pot or any other component fails. Full warranty info at the bottom of this page: http://germanautosolutions.com/bmw_s...repair_kit.php.

There are some older prices mentioned earlier in the thread, so if you decide to go with a new unit, here are current prices at the moment for a new Genuine BMW DISA (#11617544805):

DIYs help you save money with repairs; let www.bmwpnpc.com help you save money with the parts.
SilberVogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 02:17 AM   #30
Blisssss

My Ride: 2003 330i ZPP/ZSP
GAS DISA rebuild kit. It addresses the huge problem with the metal pin screwing your whole engine. Make sure your diaphragm is in working condition first
Euro Tail Lights
Trunk Lip Spoiler
PlastiDip Grills
PlastiDip Ext. Trim - Partially Done
Vogtland Sport Spings - Not Installed

Maintenance:
Valve Cover Gasket - Done
Spark Plugs - Done
Next:
Rebuild DISA -
Vanos Seals -
Cooling System -
Fuel Pump/Filter -
Blisssss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 02:44 AM   #31
alan53

My Ride: bmw E46 330ci
Send a message via Yahoo to alan53
get a cheap 5 pound camera off ebay if you want to look insde various places it will stop you worrying
alan53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 03:44 AM   #32
jfoj

A few comments,

1. Not sure how you can move the GAS parts from one DISA to another IF you used the Loctite that was included with the parts? You may be able to heat the flap up to soften the Loctite, not sure, but my understanding is the Loctite is pretty solid stuff.

2. As for the GAS Warranty, be careful about how you read things. GAS will not sell you a replacement DISA as cheap as you can buy it for, they probably charge close to $320 for an OEM DISA, their Gold DISA is basically $400. Just beware as GAS does not clearly outline theSi pricing of the Warranty replacement item.

Since the OEM DISA price increase the GAS kit is more appealing and I think they may have even dropped their repair kit price a bit since the kit was released, just be aware the 5 year Warranty on the DISA for the diaphragm does come at a cost to you as the consumer.

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temp, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

Last edited by jfoj; 04-15-2015 at 04:20 AM.
Old 04-15-2015, 07:43 AM   #33
wasp9166
ima touching member

My Ride: 04 330i jet black
Send a message via Yahoo to wasp9166
what mileage point are these safe up until?

i mean, could they fall apart at 30k?

or is this a 100k thing

is there an updated unit that won't fail?

"if polarity comes from protons, does morality come from morons?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ330 View Post
"Mommy and Daddy are getting a divorce now because wasp9166 had to piitb with Mom."

Last edited by wasp9166; 04-15-2015 at 07:45 AM.
wasp9166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 08:13 AM   #34
jfoj

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasp9166 View Post
what mileage point are these safe up until?

i mean, could they fall apart at 30k?

or is this a 100k thing

is there an updated unit that won't fail?
Good question, I think the original molded main seal may only last 40-50k miles. My 2006 330ci E46 had the DISA replaced under the Bumper to Bumper Warranty around 40k miles as I recall, recently replaced the main O-ring at about 85k (45k on the replacement) and the DISA was in fine shape.

The actual DISA flap, I would say on most cars you should expect it to hold up to about 100k. Not sure if how the car is driven and if an automatic or manual transmission may put more wear and tear on the DISA.

I know the last one I replaced that was about 10 years old and about 130k mile and the hex shaft was totally rounded off and the diaphragm was leaking, but nothing was broken or missing.

So I think maybe 100k depending on the driving conditions.

But for anyone that acquires an E46 in the future, the DISA should be an immediate inspection item.

Last edited by jfoj; 04-15-2015 at 08:15 AM.
Old 04-15-2015, 08:24 AM   #35
wasp9166
ima touching member

mmm, 62k on an 04, 11 yrs, i dunno, think i'm ok for now

without digging, cuz it slips my mind, what is the main sign of it failing? performance or is there a code

Quote:
"Mommy and Daddy are getting a divorce now because wasp9166 had to piitb with Mom."
Old 04-15-2015, 09:52 AM   #36
TRITONAL

My Ride: 04 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasp9166 View Post
mmm, 62k on an 04, 11 yrs, i dunno, think i'm ok for now

without digging, cuz it slips my mind, what is the main sign of it failing? performance or is there a code
Flap won't stay open if you plug the vacuum hole. I've got 81k on an '04, my diaphragm was still good, but the yellow crank lever that holds the flap open was so ground down, it did not hold the flap anymore. The GAS kit was good for my situation.

I check the DISA vacuum with every oil change, it's simple to do. My old 325i had 145k on it before I had to change the DISA due to a failed diaphragm.
The E46s are the Knights of the chessboard. They can outmaneuver the other, more powerful pieces on the board. They aren't the King or Queen of the garage, but they are the first piece that you want to move.
TRITONAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 11:25 AM   #37
wasp9166
ima touching member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRITONAL View Post
Flap won't stay open if you plug the vacuum hole. I've got 81k on an '04, my diaphragm was still good, but the yellow crank lever that holds the flap open was so ground down, it did not hold the flap anymore. The GAS kit was good for my situation.

I check the DISA vacuum with every oil change, it's simple to do. My old 325i had 145k on it before I had to change the DISA due to a failed diaphragm.
what's your test method, i've never even been concerned with it with low mileage, so i gota get into this

is there a way to check it without pulling it out?

Quote:

Last edited by wasp9166; 04-15-2015 at 11:56 AM.
Old 04-15-2015, 04:18 PM   #38
Dave1027

My Ride: '06 IR 330ci zhp
I would pull the intake instead of fooling around trying to get a camera to work.
Dave1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 05:52 PM   #39
SilberVogel
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2002 330Ci Conv.
Quote:
. . .
2. As for the GAS Warranty, be careful about how you read things. GAS will not sell you a replacement DISA as cheap as you can buy it for, they probably charge close to $320 for an OEM DISA, their Gold DISA is basically $400. Just beware as GAS does not clearly outline theSi pricing of the Warranty replacement item.
. . .
That's a good point, and I shot Katy at G.A.S. a quick e-mail this morning asking for some clarification on their warranty. According to her, they will credit the original purchase price of the repair kit towards an "OEM DISA valve unit priced at the actual retail value we paid for it from the local BMW dealership (currently $339)." They're based in Wyoming, MI and Sharpe BMW is likely the local dealership (less than 10 minutes away).

Since they don't make any money on the replacement unit and simply pass the cost on, I asked if they would consider extending that offer to other dealerships, as an OE DISA can be purchased considerably cheaper elsewhere and would end up saving their customers money. Realize that means confirming proof of purchase, but seems like a reasonable question given they don't make any profit on the new unit anyway. Haven't heard anything back on that yet, but will update this post when I do.

Katy did say that they "haven't technically implemented the warranty process yet, as no one has reported any failures after installing our re-build kit," so it's not an issue they've had to deal much with yet.

Update: Katy followed-up and said they'd "definitely consider purchasing [the unit from other dealerships], and base the warranty discount on the actual price paid, in order to keep costs down for everyone."

DIYs help you save money with repairs; let www.bmwpnpc.com help you save money with the parts.

Last edited by SilberVogel; 07-24-2015 at 02:23 AM. Reason: Typo
SilberVogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 10:40 PM   #40
Blisssss

My Ride: 2003 330i ZPP/ZSP
The DISA on my car at 110k was in almost perfect condition. The silicone molded gasket was a bit worn(and a PITA to get off) but otherwise the flap and everything was nice and tight and worked fine. I still rebuilt with the GAS kit
Euro Tail Lights
Trunk Lip Spoiler
PlastiDip Grills
PlastiDip Ext. Trim - Partially Done
Vogtland Sport Spings - Not Installed

Maintenance:
Valve Cover Gasket - Done
Spark Plugs - Done
Next:
Rebuild DISA -
Vanos Seals -
Cooling System -