E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2015, 12:25 AM   #1
Sforza209

My Ride: 2005 BMW 330ci w/SMG
Xenon light out for 4 months now!

Hey fellow e46er's,

I currently own a 2005 330 coupe and my xenon headlight went out about 4 months ago and it has been the biggest pain in my arse! I really am stumped and I finally got ticketed for the light being out. I am by no means a mechanic but I have repaired a few issues with the 5 e46's I'ved owned. So once the headlight went out I did the obvious solution and replaced the bulb and got nothing. Next, I went to a BMW salvage yard and purchased a working ballast. I was sure that would fix the issue because I read that most likely is what went wrong. IT DID NOT FIX THE LIGHT! Now I'm getting really irratated with this because two fixes had not worked. I then started trouble shooting and started to swap out parts with the working light to the non working light and nothing would get the light to turn on. So now I have a headlight with a new bulb, working ballast and still is not working. I took my car in to get some major work done (oil separator CCV hoses replaced) and I asked the mechanic to take a look at the headlight and he literally said the light was "toast". I guess the wiring or something? So my question is, is their any way I can verify this? I will take any pics that could verify that the headlight is shot. I really do not want to have to buy a replacement headlight because we all know the price of that. Can anyone please help me out? I really am stuck and have one month to figure this out.
Thank you in advance.

Past rides:
2005 Silver Grey 330i ZHP
2003 Silver Grey 325CI (RIP)
2005 Sparkling Graphite Metallic 325CI
2002 Jet Black 325CI
Sforza209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-04-2015, 04:31 AM   #2
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

My Ride: '02 330i 6MT
Hey, facelift coupes suffer from burnt/damaged wiring inside of the headlight. Take out the entire headlight from the car, pop out the cover in the back and inspect all of the wires inside.
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 02:10 PM   #3
Sforza209

Thank you I'll do that now and take some pics if I see some shady looking ****

Past rides:
2002 Jet Black 325CI
Old 07-05-2015, 03:47 PM   #4
Sforza209

So I have the headlight out now and I popped off to covers in the back of the light assembly and the wires all look intact and not burnt out. Can anyone please help me with what to look for or something to help trouble shoot the problem?

Past rides:
2002 Jet Black 325CI
Old 07-10-2015, 10:42 AM   #5
dyarstraits

My Ride: 2006 330CIC
I am definitely no expert, but I am in the process of trying to fix my headlight like you. I know you said you swapped out parts but did you swap the ignitor? According to sillieidiots stickied thread on troubleshooting that should have been the first thing to do with a facelift coupe. Btw, I have tried the first two checks, the ignitor and the bulb, but no luck. I need to check the ballast next but that means taking out the headlights and I am not a patient man

Last edited by dyarstraits; 07-10-2015 at 10:49 AM.
dyarstraits is online now   Reply With Quote