E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2012, 01:27 PM   #1
RyanSoegeng562

My Ride: E46 328ci
Exclamation Help!!! please...

Hey fellow bmw enthusiasts, I recently bought a 2000 e46 328ci off of my sister's boyfriend for 6 racks. I had it for a week, finally got insurance so I was super excited. I drove the car for about 3 days then one day I was driving, herd a weird noise pulled over immediately but left the motor running to figure out what the noise was then i heard some loud clacking noise then shut the car off almost 10 seconds later. A little bit of smoke came from my motor. Then I noticed that the serpentine belt snapped and a thread got tangled on my radiator fan. I got the tangle off the fan but now the fan looks kinda crooked. Can someone tell me the damages and what I need to do or replace. Thanks
RyanSoegeng562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:42 PM   #2
Zchild

My Ride: 2000 BMW 3XXi ZSP
Automatic or manual, there's a big difference between the fans...
NCC High Performance Driving School Back-Up Registrar
NCC Auto-X BOD Liaison
DIY Senior Committee Coordinator
2006 E90 325Xi & 2000 E46 3XXi
" Vision without resources is just hallucination"
Zchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:44 PM   #3
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Manual or automatic? In either case, at a minimum you need a belt...should replace both. You should first inspect stuff well.

If the blades of fan are damaged, you should replace it. See realoem.com...

There might be a reason the belt broke besides that it was just old. A pulley might have seized, so you should spin all your pulleys...and if they spin freely like skateboard bearings, they're bad. They should stop within one or two rotations.

If one is bad, replace both tensioner pulleys and the idler pulley...use advanced search/thread title search...to look for pulleys.

Did you shut the car off after the clacking sound or did it shut itself off? The smoke may have been steam coming out of the ET cap...as without a belt, your coolant isn't circulating, so it would have heated up quickly...so I hope you got the car turned off pretty soon.

You'll need to check things out...and particularly the ET which after some years really doesn't deal with excess pressure too well.

If you have the money for a cooling overhaul, might be something you want to read up on, especially in a car that seemingly was ignored.

The fan clutch goes bad in an auto...don't know if it gets crooked or not though.

See Mango's 'cooling thread' sticky above...start studying up.

BTW, there's a T-50 or hex head below the covers of the pulleys...that's where you'll crank to detension them and get the belts on.

The fan clutch nut is reverse threaded too...hopefully you have a large crescent wrench and long screwdriver to get the nut loose...or buy the tools...(see fan clutch removal tool...Bimmerstools sells them, I know).

GL...hth a little.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:46 PM   #4
RyanSoegeng562

Its an automatic lol
Old 10-08-2012, 04:24 AM   #5
RyanSoegeng562

Is it safe to say that the belt broke due to it being old cause he got the car at about 70k and the car reads almost 185 and he said he never changed the belt... I know what your thinking NEGLECT he "supposedly" loved the car and took car of it but I don't trust him as a reliable source anymore thats why i joined e46 fanatics
Old 10-08-2012, 05:11 AM   #6
jayb328i

My Ride: E46 2000 328i
I see no reason to think that the "boy friend" did anything wrong in misrepresenting when he sold you the car, based on what you said. The fan belt does break. And there are too many owners of any car, not only BMW's that do little PM. Lesson learned, one must assume when you buy a used car that the PM is not up to your standard--and check over everything carefully. Suggest you look carefully at everything now, and do all basic PM now--such as fluid changes/filters/etc. Time to change the anti-freeze overflow tank--bet you it is the original.
jayb328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:29 PM   #7
RyanSoegeng562

Your right I can't blame him, it just made me mad cause later on that night after all the happened my sister called and was like "ryan don't feel bad dan said he was gonna change that belt to". So in my head im thinking he already knew it needed to be changed he coulda gave me a heads up and now I have a lot more problems. Then I talked to him and he was like its not bad but its not good then I said I shoulda had the car inspected when I bought it and he got all mad saying stuff like you won't trust my work I said I dont mean it like that I meant it as in the mechanic woulda told me I need to change certain parts and I wouldn't be in this situation.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:30 PM   #8
RyanSoegeng562

Can somebody give me a rough estimate of how much the parts im gonna need are gonna cost me and where I can find the best prices.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:42 PM   #9
DKTim

My Ride: 2000 323i 5MT
Belt http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-323...Belts/ES10334/

pulleys http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-323...ine/View_All/2

also, sounds like you need a new fan and fan shroud etc...
DKTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:15 PM   #10
jayb328i

My Ride: E46 2000 328i
WARNING: check the rest of the car out real carefully and do ALL PM now.
jayb328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:51 PM   #11
RyanSoegeng562

My fan looks fine its just not aligned straight with the motor anyone know how to fix that? btw sorry for all the questions and thanks for all the help...
Old 10-08-2012, 05:54 PM   #12
RyanSoegeng562

What are the other preventive maintenance should I take a look at?
Old 10-08-2012, 06:44 PM   #13
dmax

If the fan is not aligned straight with the motor, that's an issue...probably with fan clutch, but maybe with bearing in WP...it sounds like an issue to me. Could be the fan shroud is misaligned. Could be motor mounts are causing the engine to drop on one side...which of course would cause the fan to not be centered where it should be in shroud.

See if you notice a ring of oil in the motor mount...a sign it's blown.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
Old 10-08-2012, 06:44 PM   #14
dmax

If the fan is not aligned straight with the motor, that's an issue...probably with fan clutch, but maybe with bearing in WP...it sounds like an issue to me. Could be the fan shroud is misaligned. Could be motor mounts are causing the engine to drop on one side...which of course would cause the fan to not be centered where it should be in shroud.

See if you notice a ring of oil in the motor mount...a sign it's blown.

A recent set

Old 10-09-2012, 10:43 PM   #15
RyanSoegeng562

It didnt shut itself off I shut it off. what does hth mean?

Tags
serpentine radiator fan