E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2002, 04:27 PM   #1
maynardc

My Ride: '03 M3 - 6-speed
Unable to Dyno Supercharged 2002 330 CI

I made an attempt to dyno car, using a DynoJet Dynamometer (http://www.dynojet.com/a248.shtml); however, it was a totally inaccurate read and was plagued with problems. Here's a list of problems I ran into:

1. Unable to turn DSC off.
2. DSC and ABS kicks in the moment the rear wheels begin to move and the front wheels don't. The system obviously believes that the car is losing control and it attempts to compensate which results in totally inaccurate measurements.
3. When DSC kicks in power is greatly reduced.
4. Unable to measure torque w/ the Dynojet, the mechanic mentioned that there's no proper "hookup" on the newer BMWs that will adapt to the DynoJet (whatever that means).
5. Unable to compare hp with RPMs for the same reasons in #4. On a side note, while I was actually looking at the computer monitor and my RPM guage, there was a very sharp decrease in HP at about 5200 RPMs which is BS. I'm sure this a result of the DSC limiting power to the rear wheels. My car pulls very strongly till about 6200 RPMs.

What Dynamometer will accurately measure my car and factor out all of the problems I ran into? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

FYI, the maximum hp I was able to attain according to the flawed dyno runs was 219 rear wheel hp! Incredibly difficult to believe knowing that I raced my friend's 2002 SMG M3 to 100 mph and beat him by about 2 car lengths. Needless to say, there's NO way my car only has 219 hp at the wheels!
maynardc is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-02-2002, 04:50 PM   #2
Banana_Bread

My Ride: 323Ci
A shop in my city, technik motorwerks, warned me about this exactly problem. A while ago they had a special going on and i was going to get my stock hp readings to determine if bmw underrates or overrattes their cars. The owner warned me that they wouldn't be able to get a proper torque reading due to the problems you listed. I decided against doing it, didn't want to risk my 50$ on a run that wouldn't work.

I hope you can find a dyno that can measure your car, i'm very interested in how much power your putting to the ground. There has to be a method of properly dynoing the car as i've seen dynocharts floating around the internet. Sorry this wasn't any help, just wanted to let you know that i've had the same problem.
Old 06-02-2002, 05:49 PM   #3
Samir

My Ride: Supercharged E92 M3
This is strange...I've dyno'd my 330 plenty of times already, and have not had any issues with the DSC reducing power under load. The abs/dsc lights do come on, but they don't affect power delivery to the wheels...they turn off by themselves after a few miles of driving. However, I have heard of this problem with certain M5s, so perhaps certain 330s have this issue as well. The way around it is to fully disengage the DSC by removing the fuses associated with it...

As far as not being able to measure torque on newer BMWs w/ a dynojet, this is complete BS...the dyno I use is a DynoJet 248C. To get the torque readings, all they have to do is remove the rubber sleeve on one of the ignition coils and attach the connector.
Samir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2002, 05:53 PM   #4
JawKnee
JawKnee Motorsports

My Ride: Nissan 350Z Track
Send a message via AIM to JawKnee
Quote:
Originally posted by Samir
This is strange...I've dyno'd my 330 plenty of times already, and have not had any issues with the DSC reducing power under load. The abs/dsc lights do come on, but they don't affect power delivery to the wheels...they turn off by themselves after a few miles of driving. However, I have heard of this problem with certain M5s, so perhaps certain 330s have this issue as well. The way around it is to fully disengage the DSC by removing the fuses associated with it...

As far as not being able to measure torque on newer BMWs w/ a dynojet, this is complete BS...the dyno I use is a DynoJet 248C. To get the torque readings, all they have to do is remove the rubber sleeve on one of the ignition coils and attach the connector.

• '05 Honda S2000 '03 Nissan 350Z Track ('00 BMW Dinan 3)
  • '04 Subaru WRX Wagon ('01 BMW 330i)
  • '04 Honda CBR600RR
  • '05 Honda CBR600RR
  • JawKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-02-2002, 06:01 PM   #5
    maynardc

***RE: As far as not being able to measure torque on newer BMWs w/ a dynojet, this is complete BS...the dyno I use is a DynoJet 248C. To get the torque readings, all they have to do is remove the rubber sleeve on one of the ignition coils and attach the connector.***

I guess that's what I get for going to a dyno shop that specializes in Honda's!

So, where are the fuses located? And what specific kind of results have you gotten w/ your 330? I'd really like to see your charts. Could you please post them?

Anyway, thanks for the information; I'll try a different shop next time.
    Old 06-02-2002, 06:18 PM   #6
    drewcon
    Bavarian Motor Slave

My Ride: 330ci
    why can't you just turn DCS off?

right?
    drewcon is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-02-2002, 06:31 PM   #7
    Amil
    mY Name Is aMiLioooooooO

My Ride: 04 Range Rover 07 A4
    Send a message via AIM to Amil Send a message via MSN to Amil Send a message via Yahoo to Amil
    im in the la area...where and how much can i get a dyno test?
    Old 06-02-2002, 06:35 PM   #8
    Samir

So, where are the fuses located?

The fuse tray is located in the glove box. There are two clips which hold it in place...

twist them to unlock the tray and it will drop down...

The fusetray has numbered slots...just find the right ones and remove them...depending on the options you have, some of the fuses might already be removed. BMW also provides a handy clip to help remove the fuses easily (the red piece in the middle).

And what specific kind of results have you gotten w/ your 330? I'd really like to see your charts.

Here's a chart...stock vs. ITG drop in filter:

Old 06-02-2002, 06:39 PM   #9
    Samir

Quote:
    Originally posted by Black330ci
    im in the la area...where and how much can i get a dyno test?
    I use R&D Dyno in Carson...310.516.1003. $75 for 3 runs. I'll be there again sometime next week.
    Old 06-02-2002, 11:58 PM   #10
    maynardc

Thanks so much for the really helpful info, Samir! I'll be sure to go to R&D w/ my next dyno. I'm currently waiting (like everyone else) for my UUC exhaust. So once I get it (hopefully in the next 2 weeks), I'll be sure to get it dynoed. It just sucks that I wasn't able to get a good result from my first dyno so that I could see what type of increase I'd get with exhaust.
    Old 06-03-2002, 12:08 AM   #11
    JetBlack330xi

My Ride: 2002 330xi
    couple things:

Maynardc: how much did it end costing total to supercharge your car? how long w/ out your car?

also, what are all those fuses for?
    JetBlack330xi is offline   Reply With Quote