E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2012, 04:52 PM   #21
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Army has EOD as well, no dive school required.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:54 PM   #22
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
Army has EOD as well, no dive school required.
sorry man, i was a Marine 1st, never been a fan of the Army, and after working with them for a year in Iraq as a contractor too, im still not.

But yeah, all branches have EOD and all go to the same school, but NAVY EOD is the best.
the go to dive school, then EOD school, then Jump school, then out to cali to do weapons training with SEALs. Thats why their pipeline takes so long, and thats why theyre so bad ass. IN my mind, theyre lil baby seals man.

Last edited by Snik; 06-05-2012 at 04:55 PM.
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 04:55 PM   #23
VaderDave
Invictus

My Ride: 330CiC ZHP
This is an interesting thread. As someone who never served in the military, it's interesting to see people talk about the various career paths that might be available and what you might have to do to get into those paths. It's sort of like a microcosm of the general job market.
VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 04:57 PM   #24
Snik
OEM ///Member

Theres so much to it man, i wish i knew half of the things i know now while i was still in, or even before i went in... Things wouldve been a lot different, and i probably wouldnt have left the corps, but, its is what it is.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:57 PM   #25
NOVAbimmer

There are other things to do in the military besides EOD. It is a very small community within the already small world of the military, so competition will get very fierce quickly.

Bottom line, do what you want to do. If you want to fly, find your best option for getting into a pilot program and go there. If you want to sit on a boat, join the Navy. If you want a branch that has to justify its existence and fight for a budget every year, join the Marines ()

Figure out what you want to do, and go with the branch that will give you the best shot at doing it. You can't really go wrong with any of them.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:58 PM   #26
NOVAbimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by snikwad View Post
sorry man, i was a Marine 1st, never been a fan of the Army, and after working with them for a year in Iraq as a contractor too, im still not.

But yeah, all branches have EOD and all go to the same school, but NAVY EOD is the best.
the go to dive school, then EOD school, then Jump school, then out to cali to do weapons training with SEALs. Thats why their pipeline takes so long, and thats why theyre so bad ass. IN my mind, theyre lil baby seals man.
I understand your feelings. I have a healthy respect for the Marines. I have met very few Air Force officers, however, that I really respect as people.

I will say, though, that for leadership, Army and Marines are where it's at. Air Force and Navy officers tend to be great managers, but not so much for leaders.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:07 PM   #27
Swish

My Ride: 2004 M3 Vert
Quote:
I understand your feelings. I have a healthy respect for the Marines. I have met very few Air Force officers, however, that I really respect as people.

I will say, though, that for leadership, Army and Marines are where it's at. Air Force and Navy officers tend to be great managers, but not so much for leaders.
That's cause the AF has great leaders in the SNCO ranks... we only require our O's to manage, and let the leaders lead

"If you want to move past racism, you have to STOP LABELING EVERYTHING BY RACE / 2000_328CI"
Swish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 05:21 PM   #28
NOVAbimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish View Post
That's cause the AF has great leaders in the SNCO ranks... we only require our O's to manage, and let the leaders lead
Air Force mission rarely requires leadership from its officers.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:29 PM   #29
Skeeter

My Ride: 2003 M3
Send a message via AIM to Skeeter
Quote:
if youre an officer, you will have to do some paperwork at some point, will you have a desk, probably.
Granted, its more real work as enlisted, so if youre flight crew, yeah, youre earning your pay check, but its all up to the tempo.
If youre an officer and you fly, well thats your main job and everything else is secondary.

The fact that you have a degree almost, why wouldnt you want to take advantage of that and be commissioned, fuk pride dude, at the end of the day you have to put food on that table, and its hard to do when youre like an E1-E4

for aviation, id stay away from the Army, as all they have is rotary wings, and there program is being flooded, so it is actually slowing down too.
Naval aviation, and Marine Corp aviation has rotary and fixed wing, and of course the AF.
So choose wisely.

If youre a great swimmer, look into AF PJs, and Combat Controllers, if youre a fish in water, explore the Navy SEAL officer program.
besides that, you could always become a Marine infantry officer and then try to go Recon or MARSOC from there.

Besides being a pilot and the above mentioned, i think there is no way to escape a desk as an officer. lol

The fact that you want to serve so much is admirable tho, :salute: hurry and come join us.
The Warrant Officer mafia is serious business.

If you want to fly for the US, fly USMC. They have the lowest academic standards (most of my cohort had <3.0 GPAs from second and third tier schools) and the Corps is STILL giving point waivers for the ASTB (like candy actually).

That being said, the Aviation Pipeline for the Marines is a bottleneck FACTORY.

OCS---> WAIT WAIT WAIT ----> TBS M. Co -----> TBS---> WAIT ----> IFS----> API------>Primary ------> Advanced -----> FRS------> Squadron ( a million years later.... still no F35)

Skeeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:46 PM   #30
prowlerflyer

My Ride: 2004 330i ZHP
The most important piece of advice, only join to do a job you want to do. The military extracts a toll on you (and family) in allowing you to do some extraordinary things. If you don't believe in and like what you do, people become bitter quick. That said I have got to do EXACTLY what I wanted and I am approaching 18yrs of proud, happy service.

Don't enter any specialty with causal interest, aviation and SOF training pipelines demand dedication and are very demanding.

If you like flying but not infatuated with being a pilot, consider the Navy's Naval Flight Officer program. They are the weapon systems operators in everything from F/A-18's to P-8's. Naval Aviation is unique unto itself and a great community. Foreign ports of call while deployed add to the fun.

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer App
prowlerflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:47 PM   #31
bostonsc4

My Ride: BMW 323i
First of thank you all for this very productive thread.

There is so much info in this thread that I'll definitely have to reread it again a few times and really focus on the individual points. As a whole, and in regards to some of the points raised, I am certainly not opposed to encountering paperwork along the way; assuming that is unescapable in the military. I did like the discussion on how to classify that though, I would not want paperwork to be the primary job, secondary, sure.

A little more about me, I am a great swimmer. Back on the OP, when I mentioned I was very into the CG, I did rigorous swim workouts a few times a week trying to get in shape to be a rescue swimmer. Seeing as I eventually lost desire to join the CG, I stopped these swim workouts but would not hesistate to get back on the saddle. In fact I may anyways just for health purposes. But anyways,

I have talked to my brother, my recruiter, my cousin (Army N.G medic just back from the desert) all today, and collectively none of them were able to keep a straight face when I said I was considering enlisting with a bachelors degree. So needless to say, I'm convinced this is the best career path. My brother says the pride and glory of being in the military wears off quick when the paycheck comes in that isn't much for the 12 hour days of work as enlisted. (He is a crew chief for a C-17) I will say that up until recently, I was going to enlist and try hard to lock in a slot as an aircraft Loadmaster. Woulda loved that job. I've taken the AFOQT once already, fell short by 23 points for non-tech officer slot. I've begun to look into Army officer jobs, not so much Marines but like I said I have an open mind. Ideally I'd like to become something that will have some sort of skill transfer in it to a civilian job should something happen.
bostonsc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 07:09 PM   #32
Snik
OEM ///Member

Quote:

Honestly, from what ive seen being a Marine and being around Marine and Navy, and working with Army, and now being AF.... i disagree with you. The fuctup leadership and lack of accountability and the trend of burning the NCO and leaving the higher leadership to walk scotch free is one of the main reasons why i wouldnt recommend anyone join the Army.
Now dont get me wrong, i met some outstanding Army leaders while working with them, but they seem to be very much outnumbered by turds.

Quote:
The most important piece of advice, only join to do a job you want to do. The military extracts a toll on you (and family) in allowing you to do some extraordinary things. If you don't believe in and like what you do, people become bitter quick.
Probably the best piece of advice in this entire thread.

Quote:
Bottom line, do what you want to do. If you want to fly, find your best option for getting into a pilot program and go there. If you want to sit on a boat, join the Navy. If you want a branch that has to justify its existence and fight for a budget every year, join the Marines
So not true. i know plenty of navy cats that are never on a boat, and only time theyd ever be on a boat is to catch a slow ride somewhere.

And dont act like the other branches arent facing budget cuts.
Remember, America doesnt need a Marine Corps, it wants one, for when it absolutely must be done.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:17 PM   #33
Snik
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonsc4 View Post
First of thank you all for this very productive thread.

There is so much info in this thread that I'll definitely have to reread it again a few times and really focus on the individual points. As a whole, and in regards to some of the points raised, I am certainly not opposed to encountering paperwork along the way; assuming that is unescapable in the military. I did like the discussion on how to classify that though, I would not want paperwork to be the primary job, secondary, sure.

A little more about me, I am a great swimmer. Back on the OP, when I mentioned I was very into the CG, I did rigorous swim workouts a few times a week trying to get in shape to be a rescue swimmer. Seeing as I eventually lost desire to join the CG, I stopped these swim workouts but would not hesistate to get back on the saddle. In fact I may anyways just for health purposes. But anyways,

I have talked to my brother, my recruiter, my cousin (Army N.G medic just back from the desert) all today, and collectively none of them were able to keep a straight face when I said I was considering enlisting with a bachelors degree. So needless to say, I'm convinced this is the best career path. My brother says the pride and glory of being in the military wears off quick when the paycheck comes in that isn't much for the 12 hour days of work as enlisted. (He is a crew chief for a C-17) I will say that up until recently, I was going to enlist and try hard to lock in a slot as an aircraft Loadmaster. Woulda loved that job. I've taken the AFOQT once already, fell short by 23 points for non-tech officer slot. I've begun to look into Army officer jobs, not so much Marines but like I said I have an open mind. Ideally I'd like to become something that will have some sort of skill transfer in it to a civilian job should something happen.
If you really really want to go the enlisted route, you could always enlist and do that until the end of your 1st enlistment, then hopefully youd have made it to some NCO rank, and then get a taste of that and then get commissioned.

AF is the only branch w/o a Warrant officer program, and honestly, its the best of both worlds, you dont get as much responsibility as a Zero, Enlisted respect you more, as they kinda see you as one of them, and you get officer pay. Its a slower promotion process, but it def pays better than enlisted, plus your enlisted time in service adds to your pay check too. (same if you were zero too)

So dont rule that out.
I still love the Marine corps but i left it bitter back in 07, because i was soo sick of the BS, and the stupid rule, now i look at the AF rules and im like, ok, still some BS, but not half as bad.
Navy isnt too far off the Marine corps type BS. and Army BS is just fukin bizzare. So its unavoidable, so like dude and your brother said, make sure you do something you love, cause it absolutely sucks when you wanna love what you do but you can barely afford a thing outside of work (biggest reason to go officer) and its taxing, very taxing, so make sure youre doing somethign you love.

Im sure between all of us on here, or the peopel we know and can call up, there is probably someone in pretty much every field in every branch, if you have questions and directly want to knwo whats up with that job, day to day and such.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:19 PM   #34
prowlerflyer

My Ride: 2004 330i ZHP
There is nothing wrong with enlisting if you think that is your best place to start. I was enlisted for 4 years (Special Warfare Combatant Crewmember), got out, went to college, got commissioned, flight school etc.

Enlisted life is very different from officers. Junior enlisted is about the job and professional development of yourself. Most officers right from the get go are tasked with taking care of troops. I can honestly say, the most rewarding and frustrating job I have had is being a Division Officer. Flying and being tactically superior is fun, but helping your troops improve and succeeded made each day worth it. Of course the most frustrating is losing a top sailor to a drug test or gun decking procedure, can cause some soul searching. But it was about living life and a damm site more involved than middle manager at Microsoft... Though flying a night pass at the boat in crappy weather with a pitching deck, also may cause some soul searching and is without a doubt, living.

There are advantages to both sides of service and opportunities unique to each. After enlisting you can also opt for an officer ascension program if you see something better. There are several available.

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer App
prowlerflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:51 PM   #35
NOVAbimmer

Quote:

And dont act like the other branches arent facing budget cuts.
Remember, America doesnt need a Marine Corps, it wants one, for when it absolutely must be done.
The Marines are the only branch that have to prove their worth every year, and can be wiped out of the budget by a typo or a sneeze.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:58 PM   #36
Snik
OEM ///Member

Quote:
The Marines are the only branch that have to prove their worth every year, and can be wiped out of the budget by a typo or a sneeze.
they dont have "prove" anything.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:00 PM   #37
NOVAbimmer

eh, maybe "justify" would be a better word
Old 06-05-2012, 09:02 PM   #38
Snik
OEM ///Member

no guy. dont know where you got that story from, but youd be a fool to believe it.
put it this way, as much **** as obama is cutting, how come it never came up...

tell you what, i will believe the basic traing stress card i saw was fake, if you stop believing that crap.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:12 PM   #39
NOVAbimmer

Quote:
no guy. dont know where you got that story from, but youd be a fool to believe it.
put it this way, as much **** as obama is cutting, how come it never came up...

tell you what, i will believe the basic traing stress card i saw was fake, if you stop believing that crap.
relax guy, I'm just busting your balls.

It's all discretionary spending
Old 06-05-2012, 09:15 PM   #40
Snik
OEM ///Member

no smiley faces and stuff means i couldnt tell if you were serious or not. i was hoping you were joking tho because if you did believe that..