E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2012, 09:16 PM   #41
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by snikwad View Post
no smiley faces and stuff means i couldnt tell if you were serious or not. i was hoping you were joking tho because if you did believe that..
The Corps isn't mentioned anywhere in the Constitution

()
Old 06-05-2012, 09:18 PM   #42
NOVAbimmer

and your reason for disliking Army officers is exactly the reason I went to teach at OCS. Maybe help improve the bunch by a bit. I'll agree that I know a lot of officers that think that an officer is just an NCO with a bit more rank.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:20 PM   #43
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
The Corps isn't mentioned anywhere in the Constitution

()
thats why they can send em places for 30 days without congresses approval.

Quote:
and your reason for disliking Army officers is exactly the reason I went to teach at OCS. Maybe help improve the bunch by a bit. I'll agree that I know a lot of officers that think that an officer is just an NCO with a bit more rank.
Good to know, maybe it will come around in a few years. I hate seeing it. It really makes a lot of good dudes hate the army and leave it.
Snik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:42 AM   #44
M3_POWER

My Ride: is better than yours
Sorry to burst your bubble, but as an aviator, you're going to be doing desk work whether you like it or not; especially if you go the officer route. Once you hit O-4 you will be tied to a desk. O-5 and up, pretty much kiss flying goodbye.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:57 AM   #45
M3_POWER

My Ride: is better than yours
Quote:
I will say, though, that for leadership, Army and Marines are where it's at. Air Force and Navy officers tend to be great managers, but not so much for leaders.
I hope you're joking.

Quote:
A bit confused you bashing officers from another branch while agreeing with snik about your own.

Don't take offense, but hardly any cadets learn from their class officer. NCOs and SNCOs grooming butter bars with their knowledge, insight, and experience are what create solid officers.

Your purpose of becoming an OCS instructor is right on. I wish most OCS instructors had that mentality and desire.

Last edited by M3_POWER; 06-06-2012 at 01:01 AM.
M3_POWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 01:05 AM   #46
chivo328

My Ride: 328/330/633/M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3twenty5eye View Post
Navy EOD. Officers side you still get down and dirty. Its extremely challenging, close knit community..i could go on and on about it. Look it up. Civilian world after you get out your making 5-6 figure job the benifits are endless. And the pipeline is fun Dive school is a blast especially if you get there during spring break (panama city, fl) then you goto Eglin AFB for 11 months for the actuall explosives training and its fast paced high intensity dirty work, PT is tough and fun. Everyone there is of all ranks and are pretty down to earth guys. from 1st classes to the CO.

Just a suggestion, I took this route on the enlisted side of it, and i loved every moment of it. The pipelines just about 1 1/2 years from start to finish, you goto jump school, tac training..etc look it up. its an amazing career path. Very very very rewarding
Indian Head graduate here

I feel very fortunate that I ended up going EOD. Great travel opportunities and it didn't feel like I was in the military most of the time in the sense that (at least back then) EOD units were typically a smaller number of personal. It was much more casual than what I witnessed other personal going through. Very close knit and the rest of the base (including commanders) left us alone for the most part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Cyrus View Post
Good luck ever getting into EOD. I think they only took 3 guys from the Academy this year.
It was all volunteer when I was in and they were always hurting for people due to the high attrition rate at school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snikwad View Post
sorry man, i was a Marine 1st, never been a fan of the Army, and after working with them for a year in Iraq as a contractor too, im still not.

But yeah, all branches have EOD and all go to the same school, but NAVY EOD is the best.
the go to dive school, then EOD school, then Jump school, then out to cali to do weapons training with SEALs. Thats why their pipeline takes so long, and thats why theyre so bad ass. IN my mind, theyre lil baby seals man.
You can (or at least could) attend Jump School as an Army EOD Tech as well. So far as weapons training with SEAL's meh, not that big of a deal. While I can certainly understand your zeal for your service of choice you might want to keep that particular opinion to yourself at least until you get your Crab.
chivo328 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 01:18 AM   #47
B_Cyrus
Banned User

My Ride: Malfouf
maybe it's easier for enlisted, but I know getting into EOD from the academy(only my experience in the field) this year was really difficult.
B_Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 01:27 AM   #48
chivo328

My Ride: 328/330/633/M5
Quote:
maybe it's easier for enlisted, but I know getting into EOD from the academy(only my experience in the field) this year was really difficult.
Used to be (in the Army anyways) you had to go to your local unit and apply for it. It was more or less an interview along with some time doing some physical agility "tests" in an M3 TAP Suit. You could have the scores and be physically fit but if your personality type didn't seem like a good fit you wern't going to get a reccomendation.
chivo328 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:34 AM   #49
NOVAbimmer

Quote:
for most jobs it is, as you're always going to have more enlisted than officers in any given unit.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:32 AM   #50
radarcontact

My Ride: 2006 330CiC/ZHP
Did not read other's replies, my apologies. But here are my thoughts.
My cliffnotes:
-20 years, 7 mos, 7 days enlisted USAF Air Traffic Controller
-from there went DoD Air Trtaffic Control, working with/for the USAF
- I've met a ton of people in my career, both officer and enlisted; from all branches

A lot USAF Officers are dweebs, nerds, etc. Not all, but a LOT. They are not, to me, the kind of people I would trust enough to follow into a dangerous situation. USAF pilots are probably the biggest exception to that rule, but are usually arrogant douchebags.
Navy officers, usually more "manly", meaning they can probably change their own spark plugs. Marine officers are the sh!t -- highly respected by their enlisted...but they earn it by getting out their WITH the enlisted and leading by example. And contrary to popular belief...SMART! Can't say for Army, never met any. BUT, Army enlisted that I met in Iraq were some of the scuzziest people I ever met. I'll save you the details.

If you want to be involved in the "safer" Aviation, I would be Naval Aviator, or USAF pilot. Might have to wait years to get in, but worth it if that's what you want.
For a more "exciting" life in aviation, then Army Helicopter pilot (which is a Warrant Officer position -- not officer, not enlisted -- in between somehow), or Marine pilot.
Or try to get involved with the drones (UAVs like Predator or Global Hawk). That's a big frikkin video game!

There are lots of choices as enlisted in all branches that are related to aviation, but they are just "jobs". Look to see what you want to do after your mil life -- its only a 20-30 year gig. So if you are 25, then at 55, you'll be a retired Chief or Colonel looking for work.

Last edited by radarcontact; 06-06-2012 at 02:18 PM.
radarcontact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:33 AM   #51
NOVAbimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by radarcontact View Post

A lot USAF Officers are dweebs, nerds, etc. Not all, but a LOT. They are not, to me, the kind of people I would trust enough to follow into a dangerous situation. USAF pilots are probably the biggest exception to that rule, but are usually arrogant duechebags.
lol... bingo
Old 06-06-2012, 04:12 PM   #52
3twenty5eye

My Ride: 2001 325i
Send a message via AIM to 3twenty5eye
The eod pipeline is alittle hard to get into at times, especially where the wars heading now, but thier always taking people, maybe not right away but keep resubmitting your package. I can only speak little on the getting in part i came in straight from bootcamp to the pipeline so it wasnt hard at all. And as far as the swimming part goes man, youd be quite suprise at the lack of skill people have, but as long as you have drive and are motivated theyll work with you and you learn quick. I was no stud comming in but i learned very quickly and beat the odds. 70% drop out rate at dive prep, 30 at dive school and about 40-50% when you finally get to EOD school itself in Eglin. Its not impossible and its VERRRY rewarding..All the branches do have techs but like previous people have said, we are the best, most versatile, and always called upon. And Im not even going to get in the debate over EOD vs Seals haha both sides having very moto guys and many attributes to combat both have pos and neg. If you are at all even slightly interested i can hook you up with numerous phone numbers of Officers that were in my class that have completed EOD school, and are on with the rest of the pipeline, also having plenty of numbers you can call to talk to some people who can give you an immense amount of info on the pipeline, getting in as an officer, etc etc.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:21 PM   #53
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
Quote:
The eod pipeline is alittle hard to get into at times, especially where the wars heading now, but thier always taking people, maybe not right away but keep resubmitting your package. I can only speak little on the getting in part i came in straight from bootcamp to the pipeline so it wasnt hard at all. And as far as the swimming part goes man, youd be quite suprise at the lack of skill people have, but as long as you have drive and are motivated theyll work with you and you learn quick. I was no stud comming in but i learned very quickly and beat the odds. 70% drop out rate at dive prep, 30 at dive school and about 40-50% when you finally get to EOD school itself in Eglin. Its not impossible and its VERRRY rewarding..All the branches do have techs but like previous people have said, we are the best, most versatile, and always called upon. And Im not even going to get in the debate over EOD vs Seals haha both sides having very moto guys and many attributes to combat both have pos and neg. If you are at all even slightly interested i can hook you up with numerous phone numbers of Officers that were in my class that have completed EOD school, and are on with the rest of the pipeline, also having plenty of numbers you can call to talk to some people who can give you an immense amount of info on the pipeline, getting in as an officer, etc etc.
I'll find you when i get down there in August.
But seriously i cant swimwirth a damn. Im all jacked up in the water. BUT tomorrow is a ruck swim run...lol, so im all about learning.

Im stuck with the AF for a few more years, but who knows, if i ever learn to swim while down there, maybe, i'd think about swimming.

I wish this thread was posted 5 momths ago when i was borderline unsure about resubmitting my package and considering other options. I couldnt find a single Navy EOD tech to talk to with all my Navy friends, so i avoided that route, cause id be mad as fuk if i switched, failed out and ended up having a regular ass navy job stuck on some damn boat. lol

But the AF is improving their sh1t tho, their prelim course went from 1 week, to 1 month, and its actually a real prelim course, not a check in the box, im told.

Last edited by Snik; 06-06-2012 at 04:22 PM.
Snik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 04:30 PM   #54
phrozen06

My Ride: E46, E92 M3, R32 VW
Send a message via Yahoo to phrozen06
If you become an officer u may have the opportunity to attend the Army Command and General Staff College in Fort Leavenworth, Kansas. It's a 10 month program. www.cgsc.edu I'm a 2011 graduate with Joint Military Certification and a civilian but I work for the department of defense. Very few civilians are selected each year.

I grew up in an Air Force family and my Dad retired as an E8 senior nco in the Air Force.

Last edited by phrozen06; 06-06-2012 at 04:31 PM.
phrozen06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:55 PM   #55
radarcontact

My Ride: 2006 330CiC/ZHP
Quote:
...get to EOD school itself in Eglin. .
Area D-51. Tiny little triangle of "airspace", no fly surface up to 500 feet AGL. I know it well!

In fact, my son's best friend growing up, Josh, his dad was an E8 who taught out there. "Russ Dinkins" was his name...good guy.
radarcontact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:34 AM   #56
k2spitfire
Banned User

My Ride: cosmos M3
didn't read the entire thread, but i hold an honorary rank of major in the taiwanese army. it's worth nothing.

try NSA or CIA/FBI if you can swing it. . . . . . . !

Last edited by k2spitfire; 06-07-2012 at 08:45 AM.
k2spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:16 PM   #57
Skeeter

My Ride: 2003 M3
Send a message via AIM to Skeeter
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2spitfire View Post

try NSA or CIA/FBI if you can swing it. . . . . . . !

I don't know if joking or serious.

Skeeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 01:56 PM   #58
NOVAbimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter View Post

I don't know if joking or serious.
all you have to do is walk in a drop off a job application! They're easy jobs to get, especially for those without military experience!

Old 06-07-2012, 02:41 PM   #59
Skeeter

My Ride: 2003 M3
Send a message via AIM to Skeeter
Quote:
all you have to do is walk in a drop off a job application! They're easy jobs to get, especially for those without military experience!

Haha. I had two classmates from Columbia got a "thanks, but no thanks" from all the three letter agencies.

One was an MPA from Columbia SIPA. USMC 0302, Duke Undergrad. Recon Plt Commander.

The other was a Columbia MBA. USNA 2001. EA-6B Driver.

Both are human beings of the highest caliber.

Skeeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 04:32 PM   #60
Raymond42262

My Ride: Is German
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2spitfire View Post
didn't read the entire thread, but i hold an honorary rank of major in the taiwanese army. it's worth nothing.

No need to cry about it. Kim Jung Un is a 4 star General in the North Korean Army. I don't know that it does him any good either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonsc4 View Post
Hey guys,

- Going to have a bachelors degree in Psychology in 2 semesters
- FULL interest on pursuing a military career. No interest in civilian jobs.
- 3.025/4.000 GPA
- Looking for a career with aviation (not necessarily pilot but avionics related)

Do you have any student loans ? I think the Army repays up to 60k in student loans if you take a certain job and enlist for 4 years. It may not be the job you want, and you may not want to go enlisted, but it may be a consideration for you. The loan repayment plan is tax free as well. If you have a significant amount of money you owe in loans, it may be something you want to consider.

You could go enlisted, the loans are paid off 1/3 at a time at the end of each anniversary year for 3 years. You could pick a job that interests you , get the loan paid off and if you like the Army lifestyle, go to OCS and become an officer and be debt free. Just an idea.

Aviation is fun, but the Army also has psychologists, although I don't know the standards for them. You could use your degree there. They also have psychiatric assistants. They make appointments for the doc and give screening tests.

Military Intelligence is exciting, especially if you are in the right unit.

I could go on, but even if you have a desk job, you can still go to Jump School, Air Assault School, Ranger School and SEER school (escape and evasion).

I was Infantry and I had fun. Lots of camraderie (sp?). But it gets old spending 4,5,6 weeks in the field continuously. Working nights and weekends and sleeping in the rain and waking up to frost on your sleeping bag. A guy can have only so much fun.

BTW.........how much are you student loans ?

I have had my heart set on the military for about 2 years now once I made the decision that it was for me. Trouble is, I don't know where to channel my efforts and or what branch is best for me. I fell in love with the Coast Guard for a year and a half, but I found out more about it, and myself, and decided it is not what I am looking for. My younger brother is enlisted AF as a crew chief. He loves his job and would never do it a different way but he reports on how the enlisted life is so sub par to officer life in the military. I had my heart set on the AF since September 2011, and as of recently I've become confused as to what I should do. I took the AFOQT test and did not score well enough to qualify. You can only take this exam twice in your life, so I am nervous to take it again without properly studying. I feel the only service I would enlist in is the Air Force, but would be open to commissioning into the Navy, Army, or Marines. I plan to use the military to pay off my school loans, and to make it a career. One thing is clear I do not want a desk job. Enlisted or commissioned. That I simply cannot do. I want to work with my hands. I want to do something laborous, and not just sign my name all day. Special forces are not out of the question, as I am not scared of a combat oriented position.

I guess the biggest dilemma is my brother telling me I have an opportunity to commission somewhere and that I shouldn't waste this opportunity by enlisting in the AF. My AF recruiter tells me the same thing. That he is welcome to recruit me, but wants me to be absolutely certain I've searched around all other branches before deciding on something.

That is a good recruiter.

So with that, I'm simply asking for some rounded opinions from people who have been there and done that. Your experiences, just general guidance on this matter. Please no anti military, anti war, or other troll comments I just want some unbiased advice. Thanks guys.

It sounds like you are asking the right questions and doing all the right things. Good Luck.