E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2012, 04:25 PM   #101
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
[QUOTE=Pierce1;14706138]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
This is not a bad idea if you don't care about being active duty.

I'm currently assigned as an Army National Guard OCS Instructor/Trainer. There are two routes here for 09S (officer candidate MOS): accelerated (go to basic, go to OCS for eight weeks, graduate and commission), and traditional (go to basic, two weeks of phase one, fourteen months of phase two, two weeks phase three, graduation and commissioning).

Sounds like the Army has shortened OCS. When I went it 8 weeks Basic and 14 weeks OCS.
Did you go the federal route?
Old 09-05-2012, 04:36 PM   #102
Pierce1

My Ride: 03 330xi
Well first I had to test. Then get a profile folder put together with picture and letters of recommendation. Then I got selected for an interview in front of 3 officers at the Federal building in Seattle. Then it was off to 8 weeks basic at Ft. Lenardwood in the winter.
After that they bussed us down to Ft. Benning Ga. for 14 weeks of OCS.
So if that is the Federal route...
Pierce1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:41 PM   #103
NOVAbimmer

Yeah, that's federal OCS. Another Fellow Winter at the Wood guy, eh? I've done two there, both miserably cold.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:22 PM   #104
Pierce1

My Ride: 03 330xi
I got the second to the last Engineer Officer Basic course at Ft. Belvuor. The Army was going to put all of it's Engineer training at Lenardwood. I said no way was I going back to that H hole!!!
Pierce1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:46 PM   #105
Skeeter

My Ride: 2003 M3
Send a message via AIM to Skeeter
I forgot what this thread was about, but I'm going to vent anyways. My TBS report date is now October 2013. You have to be kidding me...

Skeeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:16 PM   #106
NOVAbimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierce1 View Post
I got the second to the last Engineer Officer Basic course at Ft. Belvuor. The Army was going to put all of it's Engineer training at Lenardwood. I said no way was I going back to that H hole!!!
Wow, you're really dating yourself here! :-p

I would have loved to do OBC at Belvoir, it's right around the corner from home. But no, I did OBC and CCC out there at lost in the woods. Second time around was definitely better than the first, though.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:20 PM   #107
NOVAbimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter View Post
I forgot what this thread was about, but I'm going to vent anyways. My TBS report date is now October 2013. You have to be kidding me...
That sucks. You've already been waiting a while, haven't you?
Old 09-05-2012, 08:13 PM   #108
Skeeter

My Ride: 2003 M3
Send a message via AIM to Skeeter
Quote:
That sucks. You've already been waiting a while, haven't you?
Yes. Well, some of it is my fault since I pushed and pushed to change my contract from Air to Reserve, but it's been a while. I'll probably be a 1st Lt. by the time I get to Quantico.

Skeeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:46 PM   #109
Swish

My Ride: 2004 M3 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonsc4 View Post
Hello again everyone, I come bearing updates: (Swish I STILL am meaning to get around to calling you )

With my graduation this upcoming spring season, I've been forced to do some serious thinking about a lot of things. I will cut to the chase, I've decided I am enlisting in the Air Force

But you'll have a bachelors degree!?
True. Which is good because now I'll start at E3, with my intention on having a career in the military, I have no need to rush into becoming an officer just yet.

Why not wait until you can commission and just get a civilian job?
Another option I thought heavily about, but I'll have a degree in Psychology, which essentially requires graduate school to get a job in any reputable field. I am just simply done with school, I'm going to beast out my senior year, and thats going to be that. Some people are just done with school, others can go on to graduate and post graduate... Not this guy. I'm not bad in school either, just simply done with this part of my life.

Why do I want to enlist over commissioning into another service?
Student loans will begin to collect 6 months post graduation. I'll owe my school about $30k which isn't bad at all now a days for college debt. That said, I need to leave before this time period so that I can begin to pay off college debt promptly. The waiting list for the Air Force OTS is far past 6 months, and to be honest the only other service I would consider commissioning into would be the Army, but I'm not sure that its for me. All in all, my GPA is not impressive enough to commission right now being its a 3.0 out of 4.0 with a major in a non technical field.

Whats the dream sheet look like?
If all goes the way I plan it, which I know is rare, I will enlist in the AF. I very much want to be part of enlisted Air Crew, with most preference on becoming an aircraft loadmaster. I will put Travis AFB as my #1 base on my dream sheet where I could be stationed with my little brother, a C-17 Crew Chief. I want to be enlisted and work with my hands, travel the world, maybe get overseas for a tour or two, and then in at the end of my 4 year enlistment, my college debt will be history, I'll have benefits established, a future setup fpr myself, and then attempt to commission with prior enlistment on my record. If not, I'll evaluate if I want to enlist again. By that time, my current girlfriend will have graduated the same college I am about to, and (not jinxing this) I will ask her to marry me and move out with me. This is the one thing I am sure of at this point.

Talked to my recruiter, this coming fall break from classes is when I'll go take my ASVAB and physical and such.

A massive thank you goes out to everyone who posted in this thread with ideas and different routes. I continue you to please keep them coming because I know many many people find themselves in the same situation as me and could benefit from this thread. Thanks very much guys.
Congrats man... Call whenever! Ps: I officially retired from active duty last Thursday .

"If you want to move past racism, you have to STOP LABELING EVERYTHING BY RACE / 2000_328CI"
Swish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:14 PM   #110
Jperry666

My Ride: 2002 325i 5spd
So I ets at the end of the month and I'm kinda nervous about it. Any advice or suggestions?
Five years active army, two deployments, E5.
Only plan I have so far is college. Computer science major, business minor.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Bimmer App
Jperry666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:16 PM   #111
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
sounds like u have a plan, now execute...
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:32 PM   #112
NOVAbimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jperry666 View Post
So I ets at the end of the month and I'm kinda nervous about it. Any advice or suggestions?

Tight job market right now, most people I know that got out ended up missing it.

Good luck though.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:09 AM   #113
BimmerJustin
I SHOP @ TURNER MOTORSPORT

My Ride: 02325CI,03MIN,06VW
Quote:
Tight job market right now, most people I know that got out ended up missing it.

Good luck though.
When I got out after 10 I started to build helicopters for MD. Did that for 3 years, then I started to miss working on F-16s so I hired on with Lockheed. Did that for a year to get my fix. Now Im good and want to finish up school...LOL.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:11 AM   #114
BimmerJustin

Quote:

What was your MOS? No numbers....actual description. Im ex-AF...lol. I can point you in the right direction with most jobs.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:44 AM   #115
Jperry666

Heavy diesel mechanic after two years of infantry.

Old 09-06-2012, 10:51 AM   #116
BimmerJustin

Quote:
Heavy diesel mechanic after two years of infantry.

In fact, there were quite a few jobs for heavy diesel mechs overseas paying some good money that I just saw. If you want an infantry-type job like security...I can ask a few buddies that are contractors...
Old 09-06-2012, 10:56 AM   #117
Jperry666

If you want to pm me with some of the mech jobs you've seen. I've looked into a few but the company's were so so at best.

Old 09-06-2012, 11:17 AM   #118
lakedude90

My Ride: 03' 325i
Been thinkning about join up my self. Im stuck in between nuclear mechanic for the navy and Engineering officer for the army. I know there is a big gap in between the 2 but I love both topics. Another reason why I want to join is so I can finish up school. I know I want to go back but money isnt letting me do that right now and I feel like if I keep waiting and wating im gonna go no where.
lakedude90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:46 PM   #119
Clean_3

My Ride: E46
Sorry to thread jack but I didn't want to start a whole new thread. I'm thinking of joining the Army with a BA. Recruiter thought it would be a better idea to join as enlisted instead of going straight to an officer. He suggested learning how everything works first and then trying to go for OCS. Can anyone give me some input on this? Suggestions? 26 yrs old and married

Try snooping through her things and finding out where she stashed your ballz...
Clean_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:02 PM   #120
BimmerJustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean_3 View Post
Sorry to thread jack but I didn't want to start a whole new thread. I'm thinking of joining the Army with a BA. Recruiter thought it would be a better idea to join as enlisted instead of going straight to an officer. He suggested learning how everything works first and then trying to go for OCS. Can anyone give me some input on this? Suggestions? 26 yrs old and married
Yes...your recruiter is an idiot and you should go through someone else. DONT EVER let someone talk you into downgrading a job/pay. Thats messing with your life. Why the Army I ask?