E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2012, 01:22 PM   #1
Hobohunter

My Ride: 2003 325Ci
M3 top speed limiter question

Hi, guys. I did a quick search and didn't find anything about this. I'm also not really expecting much in the way of an answer, but giving it a shot nonetheless.

I found out about six months ago that my 2002 M3 has had its top speed limiter removed. I bought the car used about two years ago and don't know much about the previous history of the car. I know it's been local to the PNW for it's entire lifetime and had a few previous owners, but not much more than that.

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to figure out what method a previous owner may have used to remove the speed limiter. If it's software related, like having a chip flashed, will that get a sticker placed on it to indicate who did the flashing?

Thanks in advance for any help you may give, it will certainly be appreciated.
Hobohunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:56 PM   #2
wildpig

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3 Convert
How y find out limiter was removed? sorry there is usuakky not a sticker,,, Limiter is software based. For example some people buy evolve tune which does remove the top speed limit....
Old 06-06-2012, 08:10 PM   #3
illestminimike

My Ride: Project Drama
The limiter isn't exactly "strong" and will let you go past 155. Trust me. I know. A tune or some coding can easily remove it.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:45 PM   #4
sakumaxp

My Ride: 02 M3 convertible
Just get a stage 1 tune, no speed limiter, more power and much more

Carbon Black Metallic
SMG II
Verttttt
VCSL Front Bumper
VCSL 1 Piece Splitter
VIS GTR Hood
6K Angel Eyes
VMR VB3 19's
KW V2 coilovers
sakumaxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:34 PM   #5
sick.boy1986

My Ride: ///M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by illestminimike View Post
The limiter isn't exactly "strong" and will let you go past 155. Trust me. I know. A tune or some coding can easily remove it.
That's actually your speedometer reading incorrectly, they can be as much as 10% incorrect. Trust me. I know.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:59 PM   #6
illestminimike

Quote:
Originally Posted by sick.boy1986 View Post
That's actually your speedometer reading incorrectly, they can be as much as 10% incorrect. Trust me. I know.
No it's not. My car is THAT fast. Lol probably. I like to think my car is that fast though.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:38 PM   #7
wildpig

Quote:
Originally Posted by illestminimike View Post
When you figure in the M3 erroneous speedometer, which could show you going 5-6 mph faster than your actual speed (maybe slightly more at higher speed?), you are going at 155. I would not trust the speedo for a top speed run and only trust the GPS to verify your speed. Even playing with ncs expert to recode a few lines in the computer module, was only able to reduce error to 1-2 mph.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:49 PM   #8
illestminimike

I'm just saying thy maybe OP went past "155" and thinks his limiter is gone but it's just the speedo sucking.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:21 AM   #9
Hobohunter

My Ride: 2003 325Ci
Thanks for the input so far, guys. I know that the speedometer isn't going to be accurate at the high end of its range, but from searching on a few of the forums, it looks like the usual error is only a couple of MPH. Suffice it to say that I was more than just a couple of MPH past where limiter sets in. I've also heard that you can trick it by making it past 155 in 5th gear.
I don't think it's just the speedometer sucking, since the top speed limiter should be based on speedometer reading, since that should be the only way that the car knows its speed. But, if I'm wrong, then it's possible that the limiter is still there and I was at an error of 10% of speedo vs actual speed.
Has anyone who's read this gotten a tune or had their limiter removed in a similar fashion? I'm curious as to any documentation you get from the tuning company. I've worked at a couple of jobs now where software or hardware gets updated in a system and in my experience it's always followed up with a sticker or some form of identifying marking (I haven't done this sort of thing with car electronics, but it stands to reason that it could be a similar practice). Or, in the case of a tune, would I be able to contact tuning companies and find out if they've worked on the car by providing them the VIN?
Once again, thanks for any assistance!
Hobohunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:37 AM   #10
hassmaschine

My Ride: '91 325ix
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpig View Post
When you figure in the M3 erroneous speedometer, which could show you going 5-6 mph faster than your actual speed (maybe slightly more at higher speed?), you are going at 155. I would not trust the speedo for a top speed run and only trust the GPS to verify your speed. Even playing with ncs expert to recode a few lines in the computer module, was only able to reduce error to 1-2 mph.
the speedometer gets a different coding factor than the odometer, with the speedo purposely made to read higher. the question is, does MSS54 get the speedometer reading, or the one that the odometer gets?
hassmaschine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:31 AM   #11
yagesz

My Ride: 05 M3 SG/IR
Just gonna say on autobahn Speedo claims 181. But My GPS puts it at 169.

2005 Space Grey M3 w/ Imola Red Interior 6MT

My Build:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=934353
yagesz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:32 AM   #12
wildpig

Quote:
Originally Posted by yagesz View Post
Just gonna say on autobahn Speedo claims 181. But My GPS puts it at 169.
I guess you did hv yr limiter removed?

the only way to know limiter off for sure is either a gps verified top speed run or some way to read the ecu showing the tune has changed the ecu code. unless anyone knows of another way

Last edited by wildpig; 06-07-2012 at 11:33 AM.
wildpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 01:38 PM   #13
Julian Moore

My Ride: 2002 M3 Vert
I thought you could bybass the limiter by staying in 5th?
Julian Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 01:42 PM   #14
illestminimike

OP, yes a lot of tuning companies can run your VIN too see if you have their software.

And yes there was a thread a few months ago about bypassing the limiter by staying in 5th.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:02 AM   #15
04cbM3

My Ride: M3
If you do the 5th gear by pass will it kick in when you shift to 6th
04cbM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 01:21 AM   #16
illestminimike

Nope
Old 11-13-2012, 12:33 PM   #17
MarcusLSB

My Ride: BMW's
Quote:
Originally Posted by ville View Post
If you do the 5th gear by pass will it kick in when you shift to 6th
Just to clarify.. this weekend I was still hitting the limiter in 5th. I didn't remove my limiter for an event where I knew I'd reach speeds above 155, based on multiple people telling me if you stayed in 5th you'd be fine. This was not the case for me, the limiter still kicked in in 5th.

youtube.com/marcuslsb -- Check out photography by Gheybe!

New Build by Lab22

MarcusLSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:30 PM   #18
scca_ziptie

My Ride: 2006 M3 SMG Comp pkg
I had my 2006 to an indicated 165+ but my 9500ix (radar detector w/ GPS) showed 154 so I am going to chalk my "past the limiter experience" to the % loss of most speedometers.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:32 PM   #19
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
the speedometer gets a different coding factor than the odometer, with the speedo purposely made to read higher. the question is, does MSS54 get the speedometer reading, or the one that the odometer gets?
The proper speed seems to be sent through the CAN-bus. It looks like BMW deliberately miscalibrated the speedometer scale so that it reads high. The digital speedometer is pretty damn close though.

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 11-13-2012 at 01:33 PM.
TerraPhantm is offline   Reply With Quote