E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-26-2012, 09:41 PM   #21
Mango
Grand Superpatriot Sport+

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDNPresident View Post
Sounds awesome. But a drive from Miami,Fl would be a bit far. I would need a whole harem of women to be waiting ,spread eagle ,for my arrival.
this.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:05 PM   #22
sunsetcoast

My Ride: '99 323i & '00 323iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3dragon View Post
This is a year out so some there is time to flesh out some things. I already have the places to stay in mind but 1 year out for booking is a bit much. I would will work on group rates on lodging as we get closer to the event.
I've been fortunate enough to be able to have made the trek to our first national park a number of times. It is certainly on the level of a once-in-a-lifetime experience. And, by summer standards, it is not terribly busy in early June. Timing is everything, though: going before/after school vacations is better, but I've hiked through 2 ft of fresh snow on Mother's Day weekend.

Before deciding, consider this:
  • Yellowstone is a place of streams of cars. It is NOT the place for a giant caravan of cars all trying to go to the same place at the same time...faster than the lead bison wants to go.
  • Lodging in the park is somewhat limited. And much more expensive than similar rooms in the "real world".
  • While there are places to stay outside the park, it can take hours to get from one entrance gate to many park locations.
  • Eating options are also limited.
sunsetcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:11 PM   #23
m3dragon

My Ride: CSL M3 / 1M
Send a message via AIM to m3dragon
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetcoast View Post
I've been fortunate enough to be able to have made the trek to our first national park a number of times. It is certainly on the level of a once-in-a-lifetime experience. And, by summer standards, it is not terribly busy in early June. Timing is everything, though: going before/after school vacations is better, but I've hiked through 2 ft of fresh snow on Mother's Day weekend.

Before deciding, consider this:
  • Yellowstone is a place of streams of cars. It is NOT the place for a giant caravan of cars all trying to go to the same place at the same time...faster than the lead bison wants to go.
  • Lodging in the park is somewhat limited. And much more expensive than similar rooms in the "real world".
  • While there are places to stay outside the park, it can take hours to get from one entrance gate to many park locations.
  • Eating options are also limited.
Been there twice and already aware of all the factors as mentioned above. This is not meant to be a "haul ass drive". I have will have group activities planned for people to attend if they so chose. There are some roads we may go to out side the park but that remains to be seen.

Over all this is something to do with your car you one would never normally do and to do the event with fellow enthusiasts.

If the event comes off as a success we could make this a annual thing to travel across North America to do Epic drives for the fun of it. Just a thought.

Last edited by m3dragon; 06-27-2012 at 03:12 PM.
m3dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:07 PM   #24
BBBoy323i
All show no go!

My Ride: 2000 323i Black/Gray
Someone wanna pay for my plane ticket up there? LOL and lend me a m3?
Old 07-23-2012, 11:23 AM   #25
m3dragon

I wanted to bump the threads as well as get some update everyone on the feedback I have gotten.
  1. Recommendation to drive through beartooth pass. This would a full day of driving there and back but looks like it is well worth it. http://www.beartoothhighway.com/roadMaps/index.html for more information about the drive.
  2. Spend only 1 day in Yellowstone hitting the major sites. I am working on a photo-opp at Old Faithful but this is a long shot. If we are able to pull, it off there may be a cost in order to secure event insurance, which fingers crossed, will allow us to have the shoot. If not we will find another park venue.
  3. Spend two days in the Grand Tetons as a group seeing the sights.

That is the current update on planning. Dates are still being figured out as we are trying to be in and out of all the areas before the crowds. Mid / Late June still looks to be the target date as this will avoid the major crowds.

I will post again once I have some more updates.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:47 AM   #26
m3dragon

Just wanted to bump the thread and let everyone know I should have the full details for this event in the next few weeks. I have been getting feedback from people as well as trying to find the right balance for people that have been to this area before and people who have not.

Stay tuned

NorCal drive organizer guy
Drive database and photo locations
NorCal CSL build thread - US to CSL Conversion
E46 M3 GTR Street Car - Build Journal
Old 08-23-2012, 12:15 PM   #27
2003silver330i

My Ride: 03 BMW 330i
I can see it now a road littered with broken down BMWs.
2003silver330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:30 PM   #28
m3dragon

Dates of the event

June 24-28 for meet and group activities. If you include driving to base camp it would be June 22nd June 30th possibly depending on location you are starting from.

Base camp will be West Yellowstone. There is plenty of lodging, parking and activities for a hopefully big group. I will be working on group rates at the first of the year for everyone.
  • June 24th, 2013 - Yellowstone park North loop
  • June 25th, 2013 Yellowstone park South Loop
  • June 26th, 2013 Beartooth Pass drive. (This will be the drive day and will make for some great roads. This will be a LONG day, as we will cover some miles)
  • June 27th, 2013 Leave West Yellowstone and travel to Jackson WY
    - Explore Grand Tetons during the day on the way to Jackson WY
  • June 28th, 2013 Explore Grand Tetons

In an effort to help facilitate getting people in touch with each other to arrange caravans, I have made a form that I will use to populate a Google document. I am the only one who will see this as a FYI.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...eW9RcFlhQUE6MQ

What will we be doing there?

We are in the oldest national park in the world so we will be seeing the sights and doing some walking around. In addition, a few others and I are trying to arrange some group photo shots at the parks attractions. I have included one day for just pure driving for those who are interested.

What will this cost me to go?

You will be responsible for fuel, lodging, food, park fees and anything else you might want to do. The only fee that is 100% for sure is the $25 for a 7 day pass which allows you to see both Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons.

If I get enough people interested, I could have some removable decals made to be placed on the side of the car to be like we are on a rally event. If you want me to look into these costs, let me know on the form above.

This sounds LAME!

I know some of you have posted you hated Yellowstone and would just do the Grand Teton or you just want to hall ass around all day seeing what your car can do. Sorry this is not the place to do that. The best explanation I can say why this is not lame is because you are going on a ROAD TRIP, which to me has always been a reason to go to places. This also is a continental wide event that hopefully will be the first of many more to come. Therefore, if you still think this is a lame idea then I wish you a safe summer in your adventures.

Currently I have four cars from Sacramento area 100% going. In addition, I know of a few in Montana that will be attending. This means we have about eight cars ranging from BMW, Audi, Ferrari and Lotus already attending.

If you wish to email me directly my email is norcal.drivers@gmail.com. Please make sure to let me know you are asking about Yellowstone as I organize many drives for the NorCal enthusiasts.

Cheers

Old 10-22-2012, 02:09 PM   #29
kjmira

My Ride: 2002 BMW M3
On the Beartooth drive, would that also include the Cheif Joseph Scenic Byway? I recently had a co-worker specifically recommend taking that road for a drive.
kjmira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:29 PM   #30
m3dragon

have not finalized the loop yet. So possibly yes it could.

Old 10-22-2012, 02:31 PM   #31
sbc350

My Ride: 04 325ci
sounds like a blast and that park is gorgeous from what i hear but way out of my way hense i'm in the nothern hemapshere from you guys lol
sbc350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:24 PM   #32
kjmira

My Ride: 2002 BMW M3
okay, well i will defiinitely keep an eye on this thread for updated info. i'd certainly be interested in this, as it sounds to have the potential to be a lot of fun. thanks for getting this started.
kjmira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:33 PM   #33
m3dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbc350 View Post
sounds like a blast and that park is gorgeous from what i hear but way out of my way hense i'm in the nothern hemapshere from you guys lol
You missed what I asked before posting. Winnipeg to West Yellowstone is close to the distance I am driving so it is not that far and there are people driving from farther.

Old 11-06-2012, 04:45 PM   #34
m3dragon

Just a bump to plant the seed on going to the event.

Old 11-07-2012, 05:54 PM   #35
m3dragon

So I had a member on one of the forums about this event offer to make decals. Below is a sample of the decals that would be available for the drive.

Not sure if we will do pick your number or assign a number. So far most people seem to want a decal number.

If you plan on attending even please make sure to fill out the Google form so i can start getting a better idea of numbers when i call the hotels towards the beginning of the year.

Please feel free to email you regional Euro car clubs to see if more people would be interested. I plan on inviting the CA Euro car marks that I know of.

Old 11-15-2012, 11:35 AM   #36
m3dragon

Here is another possible idea for a decal.

These are to be the friction type decal so you can remove it once done. These are optional if people want to do them. Let me know which one you like.

Cheers

Old 11-15-2012, 03:23 PM   #37
sammk

My Ride: Bone-stock E92
Good work, OP, .. Hope it's a big group. I'll follow the thread and see how my calendar pans out getting closer.

E92 convert. BMW Fanatic.
sammk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:26 PM   #38
m3dragon

18 cars so far. Ferrari, Fiat, BMW, Nobel and so on.

Old 11-21-2012, 09:05 AM   #39
m3dragon

I wanted to wish everyone a happy and safe Thanksgiving.

So far, if everyone who has filled out the form can attend we have 23 cars and 41 people. Not too bad for a completely underground organized event. Maybe we can get enough cars and people to take over the town HAHA.

Tell your friends about the event and if you can reach out to your local and regional Euro car clubs to see if they have any members interested.

Cheers

Adam

Old 11-21-2012, 09:29 AM   #40
darksideracer69

My Ride: 01 325ci
Very cool

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Bimmer App