E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:17 PM   #21
Lair

My Ride: e90, cheap Boxster

NP, bro.

Keep beating the little people down. Maybe one day your CEO will give you a ride on his $50 million yacht.

Quote:
It's the best years of your life they want to steal.
Congratulations.
Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:17 PM   #22
bimmerfan08

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lair View Post
Yes, that's what I'm saying.

I'm a big fan of giving people a fair deal - especially if they show a glimmer of GAF. Don't sweat my opinion, though. You republicans are quickly turning our labor force into a typical thrid-world collective. Keep praying, and maybe one day you'll be able to abolish minimum wage and revert to slavery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Rick View Post

Had to turn off the TV... Fox was making more sense than anyone else.

The rest of the world must be laughing at us now. It is so bad slipping to third world status...
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:25 PM   #23
Act of God

My Ride: Beach Cruiser
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Quote:

NP, bro.

Keep beating the little people down. Maybe one day your CEO will give you a ride on his $50 million yacht.
Green is an ugly color on you.

"You don’t burn books because they’re irrelevant. You burn books because you’re terrified that they’re not. You don’t muzzle people who have no audience. You muzzle people only when their voices are amplified far beyond your liking."
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:27 PM   #24
Lair

I got mine, and I didn't have to suck corporate cack to get it.

Quote:
Congratulations.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:27 PM   #25
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
minimum wage basically says that "if your job isn't worth $10 an hour, you don't deserve to be working" and "everybody else working here has to do the work that's worth less than $10 an hour, plus their own work, for no extra pay"
Old 06-07-2012, 10:50 PM   #26
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdsesq View Post
Do you think that if McDonalds could have found a way for technology to flip burgers, it wouldn't have already implemented it?

Are you really gonna take making a BigMac overseas and having it delivered to <insert_US_location_here> in less than 60 seconds. What are you hoping for, the invention of the Star Trek transporter system and its application is going to be found at fastfood joints?

Somebody in a call-center halfway around the world still can't rake your leaves.
I don't pay someone $10 an hour to rake leaves. I pay my neighbors kid a few bucks to do it. The dad is happy, the kid is happy, and my yard is clean.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:52 PM   #27
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:

NP, bro.

My first job was at $3.25 an hour....when I was 14. I worked hard, learned skills, and then used those skills to get where I am today (not very far by many people's standards.) I don't own a boat, I don't drive a $100K car, nor do I have a mansion. I am the regular joe you seem to be so concerned about. Your idea is great though. Lets pay people with no skills, no desire to obtain skills, and no drive unreasonable wages. Great plan. Worked really well for the auto industry.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:12 PM   #28
rdsesq
ouroboros autorotica

My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
I don't pay someone $10 an hour to rake leaves. I pay my neighbors kid a few bucks to do it. The dad is happy, the kid is happy, and my yard is clean.
I hope you are paying him at least the current minimum wage. And if you aren't, I hope he gets a good labor attorney and sues the cr@p out of you.

quis custodiet ipsos custodes
rdsesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:21 PM   #29
bimmerfan08

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdsesq View Post
I hope you are paying him at least the current minimum wage. And if you aren't, I hope he gets a good labor attorney and sues the cr@p out of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Rick View Post

Had to turn off the TV... Fox was making more sense than anyone else.

The rest of the world must be laughing at us now. It is so bad slipping to third world status...
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:29 PM   #30
Lair

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
My first job was at $3.25 an hour....when I was 14. I worked hard, learned skills, and then used those skills to get where I am today (not very far by many people's standards.) I don't own a boat, I don't drive a $100K car, nor do I have a mansion. I am the regular joe you seem to be so concerned about. Your idea is great though. Lets pay people with no skills, no desire to obtain skills, and no drive unreasonable wages. Great plan. Worked really well for the auto industry.
The auto industry was making huge profits off that evil union labor before Dubya came along and f*cked up the planet.

Quote:
Congratulations.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:30 PM   #31
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
The auto industry was making huge profits off that evil union labor before Dubya came along and f*cked up the planet.
Damn, you went full retard in multiple threads. Impressive.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:34 PM   #32
Lair

Of course.

Why wasn't union labor a problem before Barack Obama took office? Why didn't any of you republicans ***** when GM was netting $7k per unit?

Quote:
Congratulations.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:37 PM   #33
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:

Of course.

Why wasn't union labor a problem before Barack Obama took office? Why didn't any of you republicans ***** when GM was netting $7k per unit?
Unions have always been a problem and it showed. The product was subpar (lazy employees) and overpriced, which is why the Japanese/Korean manufacturers destroyed the US industry. You can't pay someone $50 an hour when a attending physician at a hospital is earning 90K (comes out to less that $25 an hour with an 80 hour week) not to mention, the 400K in loans.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:41 PM   #34
morningisbad

My Ride: E46 M3 Vert
If all jobs pay $10, those with jobs at $10 won't be bumped to 12.50, they'll stay at 10 because companies can't afford it. Then they won't appreciate the job, don't work as hard, and eventually quit for an easier job.

My company employs a few hundred employees at about 10. It would only hurt morale if they were all at min wage.

Sent from my PG86100 using Bimmer App
Old 06-07-2012, 11:51 PM   #35
Lair

"Can't afford it".

Right. The CEO needs a new Bentley.

Quote:
Congratulations.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:15 AM   #36
00stephen

My Ride: '02 TJ, '87 Milano
Quote:
We did complain. Some of us remember Peter DeLorenzo pointing out (~2003) the competitive disadvantage domestic automakers incurred brought due to union costs... Something along the lines of a $1600 premium on each car sold... not related to direct compensation to union employees, but rather the cost of negotiated with union bosses, handling plant furloughs, etc.

Some of us remember researching the Mercury Bobcat in 2008, and stumbling across an archived Time magazine article from 1980 or so, highlighting that problems of the union-cost problems Big Three... and being so amazed that it completely echoed the problems of 2007 that we sent the link to Jalopnik, who shared it on their site.

Some of remember participating in a focus group attempting to discern, among other things, whether legislation of "card check" union rules garnered enough interest to be a campaign issue in 2008.

The problems did exist, and we did complain. You just weren't paying attention. Most of us grasped 'object permanence' as toddlers; at some point you'll grow to understand that just because you weren't aware of something earlier, doesn't mean it didn't exist. Your solipsism amazes me.

Last edited by 00stephen; 06-08-2012 at 12:17 AM.
00stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 12:18 AM   #37
rapier7

My Ride: Subaru BRZ
Quote:

Of course.

GM and Ford were wildly profitable in the 90s because they sold body-on-frame SUVs at huge markups. Once the prices at the pump rose, sales growth stagnated, deteriorated, then cratered as the Detroit 3 were scrambling to renegotiate the UAW labor contracts.

People don't care about issues like exorbitant labor contracts when times are good. But when times are bad, everybody starts looking for places to cut costs. And paying an average of 75 dollars an hour to employ (after taxes, benefits, salary, and administrative costs are factored in) an unskilled laborer makes no sense in this day and age.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:32 AM   #38
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
"Can't afford it".

Not every "company" has a CEO with a private jet jackass. 99% of businesses are small companies. If I own a local deli, I might not be able to afford $10 for all the workers, since my FIXED costs continue to rise because the president is a dolt. I would be forced to lay off workers. According to you, every business owner is Bill Gates.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:34 AM   #39
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapier7 View Post
GM and Ford were wildly profitable in the 90s because they sold body-on-frame SUVs at huge markups. Once the prices at the pump rose, sales growth stagnated, deteriorated, then cratered as the Detroit 3 were scrambling to renegotiate the UAW labor contracts.

People don't care about issues like exorbitant labor contracts when times are good. But when times are bad, everybody starts looking for places to cut costs. And paying an average of 75 dollars an hour to employ (after taxes, benefits, salary, and administrative costs are factored in) an unskilled laborer makes no sense in this day and age.
It makes LOTS of sense. How else can a person afford a 4 bedroom condo, a lease on a new cadillac, an iphone for every member in the family, FIOS with ALL the premium channels, filet mignon every night, 3 vacations a year, and the newest, flattest tv on the market? You are nothing but a money hungry scumbag CEO that just wants to keep your bentley all to yourself.

_end sarcasm.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:37 AM   #40
Act of God

My Ride: Beach Cruiser
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Quote:
"Can't afford it".

You're so short sighted I almost feel bad for you. PS, that hair salon down the street is probably a corporation. Did the CEO of the hair salon roll up in a Bentley?

"You don’t burn books because they’re irrelevant. You burn books because you’re terrified that they’re not. You don’t muzzle people who have no audience. You muzzle people only when their voices are amplified far beyond your liking."
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote