E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2012, 08:06 PM   #1
jpa922

My Ride: 2004 OB 330Ci
Snapped the F-connector on upper intake boot *UPDATED w/ RESULTS 06/15*

Hi all,

In short, I snapped the F-connector (vacuum connector hose?) while trying to change my intake boots today. I aborted immediately and managed to put everything back together, except the broken F-connector.

I do have a spare F-connector but am not sure how to remove the old one, as the larger connection seems to be well sealed, and the smaller tube still have the snapped connector in it! Couple questions:

- Can I safely drive this way? At least I need to drive to the shop, which is about 10 miles...

- If not, how do I replace the F-connector with a new one? As the snapped tube broken at the root, I doubt I can reconnect it with a vacuum tube.

Many thanks!!

Last edited by jpa922; 06-15-2012 at 07:55 PM. Reason: update
jpa922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-09-2012, 08:19 PM   #2
cvx5832

My Ride: 325Ci, 325Cic, C300
I wouldn't drive it. You can try, but that broken tube goes to the fuel pressure regulator on the fuel filter.

You'll have to wiggle that big connector out. As for the smaller one, try cutting off the portion with the broken piece. At least on my setup, there's enough length on that FPR vacuum tube to reach the F-connector even if you cut it. Tug on it a bit and see if it will reach. Don't worry, unless you tug like an ape that won't come disconnected on the FPR side.

cvx5832 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 08:34 PM   #3
jpa922

Thanks! The small tube looks really brittle though, I'm afraid that if I stuff the connector in it'll break too.. But I'll try getting the large one out first.

Has anyone driven their car with the small tube disconnected?
Old 06-09-2012, 09:00 PM   #4
jpa922

I went to my car and checked again. The other end of the smaller tube is actually visible, as shown in this picture from this thread:

I wonder if it's possible to just buy some new tube to replace the old one entirely, in this case I don't have to cut the old one too.

Also I don't know if it's my car (2004 330Ci, 86k miles) or this is true in genereal, the bigger connector is über tight and I can't even twist it.. Any tip for getting this SOB off?

Many thanks.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:03 PM   #5
bmwguyNC

My Ride: 02 325i orient blue
Send a message via AIM to bmwguyNC
you can go to advance auto and grab a universal one from their self help section. Its actually "Y" shape that will do until you get the new f connector. Thats what I did. Its just white and ugly thats all. I ordered a spare one as well.
bmwguyNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 09:10 PM   #6
jpa922

Thanks. I actually do have a spare original F-connector. Just having a hard time removing the old one. I'm also wondering if I drive the car like picture above in post #4, i.e. everything connected but the smaller tube, will there be any damages to the engine? If it's safe to drive, I probably should go to a shop before I break anything else with my clumsy hands.
Old 06-10-2012, 02:11 AM   #7
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
If you can replace the small tube, the just do so. It is just vacuum tubing.
If I understand correctly, you are saying ou also broke off the large end of the intake hose, right? If so, see below:
For the larger piece in the intake hose, I have a solution that I have used before. It does require you to completely remove the intake hose from the car. So, remove it, and wrap a shop rag around the small part of the hose where the broken off end of the F connector is located. Now, take a pair of pliers, and start squeezing it and basically break the end of the F Connector into smaller pieces, and dump them out. Use some needle nose pliers to pull the larger chunks out. Just make sure you get all of the fragments out of the intake hose before you put it back on the car.
You can use the same methods to get the pieces out of the smaller hose too, if you can not get a replacement hose. Just keep it lower than the connection on the other end of the hose, if you do it while it is still on the car. Just crush it, and make sure all of the pieces come out the end. Works like a charm.
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 03:58 AM   #8
geewrd

My Ride: 2002 325i
For the larger connector, you can work a small screwdriver between the hose and connector and then pry outwards as your work around the connector. If the hose isn't brittle, you should be able to work it off this way without damaging the hose at all.

The smaller rubber vacuum line looks shot to me, I would just replace it. It's probably stuck to the smaller plastic tube, so you might need to pry it off with your fingernails. You can just take it to Autozone and they will match it up, in my case, they didn't have the exact same size, so I got some that was just a bit smaller, and it works fine. It's just takes some patience to get it back on the smaller plastic tube.
geewrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 01:39 PM   #9
jpa922

Thanks so much guys!!

I'll update this thread when I get it off - or f**k everything up.
Old 06-10-2012, 02:43 PM   #10
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Good Luck and I hope you get it right today.
I'd not think this would be bad to drive a short distance. Try the engine and if it runs OK, I think you'll have your answer.
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 02:51 PM   #11
chris98891

My Ride: '01 325i
Send a message via AIM to chris98891
I broke mine while doing the lower intake boot. The connector pulls out with some wiggling. I found just straight brute force worked best. The vacuum tube just pulls off of the thin plastic hose. replace it with a universal one from autozone (BMW doesn't even sell their own piece of this because it isn't worth getting anything else) and the F connector was only about $2 from the dealer.

chris98891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:51 PM   #12
Kmdcolo

My Ride: 2003 330xi
I rigged upa temp "F" connector with some sprinkler parts till I got my replacement one from the dealer. The dealer was out of stock temporarily, but it only cost 2.25 when they got back in stock.
Kmdcolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:54 PM   #13
jpa922

All right guys. Finally got a chance to work on it. Managed to separate the F-connector and the big hose, as well as to peel off the small hose and replace with new ones I got from Pelican (local Autozone didn't have anything close to 3.5/1.8).

Here is a shot with everything off. I used a flat head driver to pry between the F-connector and the large hose. Once you break the seal a little bit and are able to twist it you'll be able to yank it off with some force. For the degenerated small hose I just used my fingernails to peel it off.

Everything back together now.

The other end of the small hose.

What's taken off.

Thanks again for everyone's help!!
Old 06-16-2012, 12:10 AM   #14
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
I' m glad you got it out.
But my advice still stands. Rather than wrestle with these things, have a replacement on hand, remove the intake hose, and simply crush the end of the connector inside the hose with a pair of pliers. 20 seconds, and you are done.
I am surprised that Autozone did not have anything that would work for the vacuum line. Of course, I usually just ask them to let me go in the back, and look for myself. They are slaves to that screen, and if they can't enter the correct search term, they couldn't find the bathroom, let alone convert a metric size to a standard equivalent. When I changed my fuel filter, the guy could not assure me that the hoses he was showing me were high pressure fuel lines. I had to go back and read the label on the box to verify it.
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 12:44 AM   #15
jpa922

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJLavelle View Post
I' m glad you got it out.
But my advice still stands. Rather than wrestle with these things, have a replacement on hand, remove the intake hose, and simply crush the end of the connector inside the hose with a pair of pliers. 20 seconds, and you are done.
I am surprised that Autozone did not have anything that would work for the vacuum line. Of course, I usually just ask them to let me go in the back, and look for myself. They are slaves to that screen, and if they can't enter the correct search term, they couldn't find the bathroom, let alone convert a metric size to a standard equivalent. When I changed my fuel filter, the guy could not assure me that the hoses he was showing me were high pressure fuel lines. I had to go back and read the label on the box to verify it.
Yea the plier plan is my backup I was just a little afraid that I'll leave some of the debris in the tube. But if it were a little tighter I might have gone this route.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:32 AM   #16
tomoyer

My Ride: 03 325xi, 03 330xi
Send a message via Yahoo to tomoyer
A few notes to add here; when changing the intake bellows hose(s), spring for the "F" connector right away, its only $1.90! When you put the hoses onto the "F connector, put a small amount of grease on the "f" connector, then push the hoses on, they will go on easier and when its time to remove them, they will also come off easier, do the same for the "F" connector to intake bellows.
tomoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 06:10 PM   #17
Zabusa

My Ride: 2004 BMW 325
My smaller hose to the fuel pressure reg. has been broken off the conenctor since I bought the car.. I need a new vaccum hose. Anyone know the size and length? i want to go to advance here in a few
Zabusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:37 PM   #18
The Thomas J

My Ride: 2002 325Cic
So what exactly does this smaller hose do? I found mine hanging off the bottom of the car today, & it was barely hanging on my the F connection. I pulled it off & stuck a screw inside the opening of the F connection just to plug up any air leaks.

The car is running fine.
The Thomas J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:47 PM   #19
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J View Post
So what exactly does this smaller hose do? I found mine hanging off the bottom of the car today, & it was barely hanging on my the F connection. I pulled it off & stuck a screw inside the opening of the F connection just to plug up any air leaks.

The car is running fine.
Probably a minimal amount. It leads to the fuel filter pressure regulator.
With such a small amount of vacuum, it can't have much influence.
But if it were my car, I'd want it hooked up just because it's not that hard to do, and the car was designed that way.
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:53 PM   #20
mbnz230

My Ride: 2004 BMW 325ci
i dont even have the smaller hose, is that normal for a 04 325ci?
mbnz230 is offline   Reply With Quote