E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2012, 02:57 AM   #1
alphawhiskey

My Ride: Foxtrot
32'' LED LCD, or 40'' regular LCD or plasma

I'm looking to spend about $500 +/- 100 for a TV for a bedroom, and was wondering if you guys think LED LCD is worth the extra cost. The unit will most likely be an LG or a Samsung, unless I am wowed by the Vizio (although I've had a bad experience with them in the past with a monitor).

They are about the same price, but I have to settle for 32'' only for an LED LCD. Is it worth it? I care more about picture quality than energy savings.
alphawhiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:05 AM   #2
HyeWarrior

My Ride: '03 325i --> '13 GTI
Haven't seen a LED in action besides in stores

Walmart has a 32" Samsung LED for $300 right now actually

Inb4omgwalmart

Wow
So Amaze
Much Torque Steer
Such FWDoge
HyeWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:06 AM   #3
alphawhiskey

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyeWarrior View Post
Haven't seen a LED in action besides in stores

Walmart has a 32" Samsung LED for $300 right now actually

Inb4omgwalmart
You got a link? The only ones I see in that price range are 26''
Old 06-11-2012, 03:20 AM   #4
HyeWarrior

My Ride: '03 325i --> '13 GTI
No link, saw it in store the other day though

Wow
So Amaze
Much Torque Steer
Such FWDoge
HyeWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:50 AM   #5
//TRD power

My Ride: 3.0 | 200hp | 214trq
42" LED
32 is too dinky
Old 06-11-2012, 03:53 AM   #6
alphawhiskey

ok, i found a 42'' LG LED for around 450. Only problem is it has a 60Hz refresh rate as opposed to the 120 in the higher end models.

What do you guys think? 120 hz worth it?

I just read that it's not because the source is limited, and the 120Hz is actually being artificially sped up and manipulated (whether or not this results in a better viewing experience I have no idea).
Old 06-11-2012, 03:55 AM   #7
//TRD power

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphawhiskey View Post
ok, i found a 42'' LG LED for around 450. Only problem is it has a 60Hz refresh rate as opposed to the 120 in the higher end models.

What do you guys think? 120 hz worth it?

I just read that it's not because the source is limited, and the 120Hz is actually being artificially sped up and manipulated (whether or not this results in a better viewing experience I have no idea).
If you play video games the higher 120hz will benefit.
For movies/tv, 60hz will do and 120hz will make it "look fake"
Old 06-11-2012, 04:02 AM   #8
mkodama

With what you've said so far, skip the LED option. LED backlighting has plenty of cool benefits, but better picture quality isn't one of them.

If you didn't already know, the LEDs are just what make the white light behind the actual LCD. Regular LCD just use CCFL. They are just as bright, but CCFL is slightly larger, takes a few minutes to reach full brightness, use a little more energy, and are much cheaper.

Last edited by mkodama; 06-11-2012 at 04:04 AM.
mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 04:33 AM   #9
alphawhiskey

Quote:
Originally Posted by //TRD power View Post
If you play video games the higher 120hz will benefit.
For movies/tv, 60hz will do and 120hz will make it "look fake"
Thanks! I don't play games, and I think I've seen this effect at my local Best Buy where they were playing Transformers. The movie just looked weird. It was like sped up, but not sped up at the same time. Although you could tell the tech was more advanced than a regular TV, the experience was worse imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
With what you've said so far, skip the LED option. LED backlighting has plenty of cool benefits, but better picture quality isn't one of them.

If you didn't already know, the LEDs are just what make the white light behind the actual LCD. Regular LCD just use CCFL. They are just as bright, but CCFL is slightly larger, takes a few minutes to reach full brightness, use a little more energy, and are much cheaper.
Thanks! I read that the LED can produce deeper blacks and whiter whites though. Is this not true? One comparison put LED LCDs more on par with plasmas than regular LCDs when it came to blacks.
Old 06-11-2012, 05:26 AM   #10
v8 5

My Ride: 6 speed BMW
LED LCD is a trick manufacturers use to think people are buying a high-end LED TV, but they're different

We have 4 websites within the family.
v8 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 05:53 AM   #11
alphawhiskey

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 5 View Post
LED LCD is a trick manufacturers use to think people are buying a high-end LED TV, but they're different
how so. I've seen "true LED" marketing, but as I understand it, the "fake" LEDs are the edge lit ones wherein only the edge(s) of the TV are lit by LEDs and spread through a diffuser.

I am guessing "True" LEDs are all over the back panel, and individual LEDs can be turned off to produce truer blacks.

What is the "trick" you refer to?
Old 06-11-2012, 09:03 AM   #12
makecopies

My Ride: Gods Chariot
If this video looks good on the TV then buy it!

Serious just get a Sony Bravia you cant go wrong
makecopies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:12 AM   #13
Rubenk

My Ride: M35A2
I loooove my LG LED!!

Its pretty cool to pick up my 55" tv two handed with no issue. But I do leave it on "game" mode b/c I hate the crazy high refresh rates that TV's have now.
Rubenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:51 AM   #14
Shaban

My Ride: 2005 CBR600
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphawhiskey View Post
Thanks! I don't play games, and I think I've seen this effect at my local Best Buy where they were playing Transformers. The movie just looked weird. It was like sped up, but not sped up at the same time. Although you could tell the tech was more advanced than a regular TV, the experience was worse imo.
It looks weird at first, but then once you're used to the difference vs regular LCD/Plasma you wouldn't want to go back. I love my LED tv.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:54 AM   #15
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
At the price range you are looking at, all the TVs from all the brands are going to be very similar if not identical in performance. As was said, an LED TV is only that way because of the backlight. The panel is exactly the same regardless of the backlight used (CCFL or LED) and again, at the range you're looking at it won't matter.

You can't go wrong with LG, Samsung, or Sony.

Also, within that budget don't expect miracles in image quality. There's a reason some TVs cost thousands.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:08 AM   #16
boostedisbetter

My Ride: 03 S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
You can't go wrong with LG, Samsung, or Sony.
YUP... Or panasonic for plasma

Go 40"+ , but new plasmas are the best bang for your buck.

Last edited by boostedisbetter; 06-11-2012 at 10:09 AM.
boostedisbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:42 AM   #17
//TRD power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa01e46 View Post
YUP... Or panasonic for plasma

Go 40"+ , but new plasmas are the best bang for your buck.
The fans inside plasmas to keep them cool get noisy after a few years. A tv should last 10+ years like the old tubes. My pioneer plasma (newer than my hitachi plasma) is showing signs of wear with fan noise because it is always on compared to the hitachi. Hands down plasma sucks ass and each cost ~$5000 at launch.

Now I got a Sony bravia 40" ($900) edge LED matte finish,
Samsung 50"($3000) glossy back lit LED and although brighter, not better than the cheaper sony to my eyes.
I also have a 32" LG CCFL back lit, I really hate this one and will never buy CCFL.

So you have to see which you find comfortable to your own eyes because that is a big difference but make sure you stick to LED.

Better long term IMO compared to plasma.
Slimmer and nicer looking.
Less power consumption and better picture.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:58 AM   #18
boostedisbetter

My Ride: 03 S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by //TRD power View Post
The fans inside plasmas to keep them cool get noisy after a few years. A tv should last 10+ years like the old tubes. My pioneer plasma (newer than my hitachi plasma) is showing signs of wear with fan noise because it is always on compared to the hitachi. Hands down plasma sucks ass and each cost ~$5000 at launch.

Now I got a Sony bravia 40" ($900) edge LED matte finish,
Samsung 50"($3000) glossy back lit LED and although brighter, not better than the cheaper sony to my eyes.
I also have a 32" LG CCFL back lit, I really hate this one and will never buy CCFL.

So you have to see which you find comfortable to your own eyes because that is a big difference but make sure you stick to LED.

Better long term IMO compared to plasma.
Slimmer and nicer looking.
Less power consumption and better picture.
Not the NEW plasmas man, they have changed the technology and they are actually just as reliable as a LED/LCD, this is what I've heard from word of mouth though... I was arguing the same fact, that plasmas eventually give out, and someone said that they have changed and are as reliable as an LCD.

Personally, I have a 47" LG LED matte finish and I love it, but I can see that the blacks aren't as black as a plasma. The colors are extemely vibrant though, which I love, and the screen itself is less than an inch thick-which was a huge selling point for me.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:11 PM   #19
sandman512

My Ride: 2005 325I
Waiting for Glockman to enter.....
Old 06-11-2012, 12:23 PM   #20
jeffro3000

My Ride: 2000 328i
My only advice would be to not spend much money right now. If that means plain LCD, then so be it.

OLED's are around the corner and buying a balls out or even semi balls out TV now will make you feel dumb when it's blown away by an entirely new display tech in the next 6~12 months. Thats just me though. I hate buying something right before the next big thing comes out. At the very least, you'll be able to get an LCD or Plasma or even cheaper than they are now and can upgrade to something nice then.
jeffro3000 is offline   Reply With Quote