E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-13-2012, 12:04 PM   #1
BayrischeMotorWerk

My Ride: 320d
DIY: Rear spring coil repair (Video)

Hi

Changed my rear spings yesterday and recorded a video from the one side repair.

If you can use it, feel free

Job performed by one man using standard hand tools and a couple of jacks on a 3 series E46 sedan / limo. 2004

Job takes 10 min pr side and with air tools you can most likely do it at 6 min. pr side.

I used OEM springs from my BMW stealer, OMG 202 EUR including rubber pads. That would be 230 USD for two springs.
Note you always have to replace BOTH on the same axle.
Now why did I chose OEM springs?, well I don't want my car to be too hard or too soft. Besides I may risk to get springs
that would lower the car more than I want to.
All springs are color coded. The code refer to BMW's standards for weight, height and comfort. I had bad experience
by experimenting with none OEM parts.

Last edited by BayrischeMotorWerk; 06-13-2012 at 02:09 PM.
BayrischeMotorWerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:40 PM   #2
hawk99

My Ride: 323ci
That's awesome!! I had no idea that the rears were that easy. Any chance of a video for the front springs?
hawk99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 02:02 PM   #3
BayrischeMotorWerk

Yes is really easy to do.

I hope I don't have to replace my front springs. Ive changed them several times on my previous Ford. Not at difficuld task to do, you just need two spring compressors.

If I have to change the front springs I will make a vid, but that could take years
Old 06-13-2012, 06:05 PM   #4
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Even easier on the M3 - the springs are short/stiff enough that they come right out if you just lightly push the trailing arm down with your hands.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:36 AM   #5
BayrischeMotorWerk

Agree.
When I had to remove the broken spring I could remove it without tools, but to insert a new standard length spring you will need a bit of weight to push down the trailing arm. A short spring like in the M3 should be more easy to install.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:15 PM   #6
MatRacer

My Ride: 325xiT and E30S50
In the bentley, They state that the CV must be unbolted from the diff to avoid damaging it... It seems like it does not worth it... Really?
MatRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:56 AM   #7
BayrischeMotorWerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatRacer View Post
In the bentley, They state that the CV must be unbolted from the diff to avoid damaging it... It seems like it does not worth it... Really?
BMW do the same in their TIS manual.
I have really spend a bit of time investigating if ANY users who don't follow the official procedure had any problems after the repair. I found none and I didn't have any my self either.

So I would say its just a waste of time to unbolt the drive shaft ect.
The force you have to put things apart using a OEM jack is also little. You can "feel" that your not bending or breaking anything.

The method in the Video isn't one I invented. I have seen many E46 owners (on the net) who uses it (without any problems). But if someone feel the need to follow the Bentley or BMW TIS and unbolt the drive shaft, they could do it. Would probalby take an extra hour or two.
Old 06-26-2012, 05:22 AM   #8
MatRacer

My Ride: 325xiT and E30S50
Thanks!
MatRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:25 PM   #9
adaseb

My Ride: 2002 BMW 320i
Anyone damage their axle when doing it this way?
adaseb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:09 AM   #10
dirty vert

My Ride: 2001 330ci
When I did my RTAB's, I did notice my springs could be pulled (almost fall) out. I did not notice any damage to the rear cv axle when I did this. I could possibly see the cv boot getting split if the rubber is getting hardened or it is stressed too much. If you have to replace springs, just take precaution that the boots could get torn and work accordingly.
dirty vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 01:45 PM   #11
FirstBimmer18

My Ride: 1999 BMW 323i
great vid, thanks for posting!! extremely helpful. have you ever had to change the control arm/ball joint and bushings?? that is another task I am looking to do, and the shop charges a lot of money for it
FirstBimmer18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 05:12 AM   #12
BayrischeMotorWerk

Yes I changed my front control arm bushings. Sorry didn't record it. Was easy to do .... took hour. Just remove the shield with it 6-8 bolts and remove the 2x2 bolts holding the control arm. Need a bit force to pull of the busings.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:15 AM   #13
FirstBimmer18

My Ride: 1999 BMW 323i
Alright thanks for the help!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
FirstBimmer18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coil, spring